RPGM Below the Fold [Ep.5 R3 SASH] [iLTinoBambino]

2.80 star(s) 5 Votes

Best princess?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GrimmShade

Aug 13, 2018
It's a rule. No update within 1 year == abandoned.
Although the rule to mark the game as abandoned within a certain timeframe is fine. I think giving the creator a heads up of it happening should be a given. Managers tell employees when a project is close to its due date, so why not do the same for this? Sure it might be annoying to send a PM to many people but it helps them realize they need to update it or just notify they are abandoning it. People have many tasks in life and sometimes just need a reminder.

TinoBambino

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2016
Although the rule to mark the game as abandoned within a certain timeframe is fine. I think giving the creator a heads up of it happening should be a given. Managers tell employees when a project is close to its due date, so why not do the same for this? Sure it might be annoying to send a PM to many people but it helps them realize they need to update it or just notify they are abandoning it. People have many tasks in life and sometimes just need a reminder.
Yeah, that's all I'm saying. I don't post alot, but I check the site daily. I'm sitting on content that is thusfar unreleased due to lack of playtesting and final polish. I'm gonna scramble over the next week here and get most of a minimally broken ep3 out. All but 2 or 3 scenes from ep1 have art (honey select) now too.

Edit:
It's out!

Last edited:

JokerLeader

Former Legendary Game Compressor
Modder
Donor
Compressor
Mar 16, 2019
Below the Fold [Ep. 3 R1] [Compressed]

Original Size Win: 824 MB

Compressed Size Win: 209 MB: -

This compression is unofficial. Compressing process reduces image/audio/video quality and can break the game, be aware of that.

You can find all of my Walkthrough Mods content here:

Or you can:

Joe Steel

Engaged Member
Jan 10, 2018
I'm excited to see this get an update! I still think that this is the best-written story on the site.

First game-breaking bug encountered: in the club, going up the stairs to the balconey on the first day gets MC stuck in the scenery.
club bug.png club bug.png

Reactions: TinoBambino

TinoBambino

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2016
I'm excited to see this get an update! I still think that this is the best-written story on the site.

First game-breaking bug encountered: in the club, going up the stairs to the balconey on the first day gets MC stuck in the scenery.
View attachment 1132543 View attachment 1132543
Knew there'd be at least one, dammit. Fortunately there's nothing up there at that point, and it works later when you need to go up there to progress.

Thank you for the bug report (just fixed it) and the compliment. I hope you didn't have to replay too much to get back on track.

Joe Steel

Engaged Member
Jan 10, 2018
Knew there'd be at least one, dammit. Fortunately there's nothing up there at that point, and it works later when you need to go up there to progress.

Thank you for the bug report (just fixed it) and the compliment. I hope you didn't have to replay too much to get back on track.

Nope. I took your advice to save often. I know how beta versions work.

Another (non-game-breaking) bug is that the door at the bottom of the basement stairs in the club, entered at night, jumps the player to the hallway with the lap dance booths, and changes the time to daytime.

Great stuff with Cole, by the way. I hope we see more of him. He's unique in games, but a fairly common type in reality (if exaggerated).

TinoBambino

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2016
Nope. I took your advice to save often. I know how beta versions work.

Another (non-game-breaking) bug is that the door at the bottom of the basement stairs in the club, entered at night, jumps the player to the hallway with the lap dance booths, and changes the time to daytime.

Great stuff with Cole, by the way. I hope we see more of him. He's unique in games, but a fairly common type in reality (if exaggerated).
Yeah, and I just found that the ep2 convienence store does the same thing, but you can just reload the area to make it night again.

Cole was going to be a gold NPC in the original outline, but then I thought he'd be a good way to showcase the kind of deep dive I want to do into the character (or the patron's psyche) of the gold self-inserts. I'm not really advertising it as such yet because I still have a ton of work to do on the non custom stuff, but I'm really happy you commented on him, thank you. Cole will have an event at each tier of progression/corruption.

I'm going to do something similar with a daytime/nighttime silver NPC, convert them into original characters, to flesh out the early game club VIP serving experience.

e-disfunction

Jun 1, 2019
I'm still here and working. I had just spoken with CrazyGamer43 about this in December.

Why wouldn't you send me a PM or something?
It's a rule. No update within 1 year == abandoned.
Yeah, that's all I'm saying. I don't post alot, but I check the site daily. I'm sitting on content that is thusfar unreleased due to lack of playtesting and final polish. I'm gonna scramble over the next week here and get most of a minimally broken ep3 out. All but 2 or 3 scenes from ep1 have art (honey select) now too.

Edit:
It's out!
With all respect, why should anyone here need to remind you of the rules for posting here after you have been a member for almost five years--especially after two years of your game posted here? :confused:

e-d (y)

P.S.: Have YOU ever sent a message to aanother dev to remind them to upload something? :oops:

Joe Steel

Engaged Member
Jan 10, 2018
The game isn't abandoned or marked as abandoned, so the issue of whether it should have been so marked seems moot.

Another small bug: I was able to send Amber via the storm drains to downtown and get the new mission for additional training response from Roma (and the new mission "Prove I can suck cock...") before the boss gave it to Amber. When the boss did give the "Go back to Roma..." mission, that couldn't be completed because the scene with Roma had already fired.

TinoBambino

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2016
The game isn't abandoned or marked as abandoned, so the issue of whether it should have been so marked seems moot.

Another small bug: I was able to send Amber via the storm drains to downtown and get the new mission for additional training response from Roma (and the new mission "Prove I can suck cock...") before the boss gave it to Amber. When the boss did give the "Go back to Roma..." mission, that couldn't be completed because the scene with Roma had already fired.
Thats a pretty big one, darn. I'll figure it out. You're basically at the end though, sounds like. That wouldn't have turned off the event flag for the roma event being completed, so it shouldn't prevent you from doing anything else.

Badboll

Aug 29, 2017
TinoBambino Is it possible to get a version of this game without Martin, I don't think i've ever come across a character I dislike as much as him for just being a selfish entitled prick "MY GIRLFRIEND IS MY PROPERTY" that's all he says. If it was your intention to write him to be hated you succeeded for sure lol
Cool game a little bit too much stuff hidden about without any way of know where to go or what to do with it.
Call lab partner quest for example you can't actually call him though.
Find a way past the gates, no idea where to start with that either.
If stuff was a little bit more straight forward in the quest log that would be cool.
Maybe add something on the map that shows that there is content to be found there if you are able to obtain it at your current progress in the game.
I don't know how hard that would be to implement, but I for sure know people get turned off playing games like this when they have to run around the map searching for stuff without knowing what they are looking for or where.

Badboll

Aug 29, 2017
Thats a pretty big one, darn. I'll figure it out. You're basically at the end though, sounds like. That wouldn't have turned off the event flag for the roma event being completed, so it shouldn't prevent you from doing anything else.
I found a bug with the art stuff. Second visit with derek completely breaks the game
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
And another one with the stripclub the door just above the dressing room when you go down teleports you to the lapdance room and if you do that in school clothes you can't leave. Not that you can leave anyway there is no way to finish working there and you are just stuck. The game seems to break a lot. But I guess it will be a good game when stuff gets touched up. Eventually. with maybe more cg as it is now I don't recommend anyone playing this game. But do keep an eye out, i think this dev can create something really cool.

Last edited:

TinoBambino

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2016
I found a bug with the art stuff. Second visit with derek completely breaks the game
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
And another one with the stripclub the door just above the dressing room when you go down teleports you to the lapdance room and if you do that in school clothes you can't leave. Not that you can leave anyway there is no way to finish working there and you are just stuck. The game seems to break a lot. But I guess it will be a good game when stuff gets touched up. Eventually. with maybe more cg as it is now I don't recommend anyone playing this game. But do keep an eye out, i think this dev can create something really cool.
Damm dude, I'm really sorry about those. I'm on it. Thanks for the review!

Pudthumper

Nov 20, 2017
I just added a screenshot of the world map to hopefully alleviate some of your concerns. RPG Maker maps frustrate the hell out of me too. Thats why I put everything off of a central road, and disabled collision on most objects so you never have to move more than 20 or so grid spaces from one location to the next, and never find yourself stuck between a lamp post and a wandering NPC.

I knew I was basically volunteering for this early criticism when I decided to use RPGM, but I truly believe that most of the frustrations people have with RPG Maker is due to shitty devs who never ever cared about end user experience. I understand that pretty much everyone prefers exploration like the kind in an Akabur game where you just click on a world map, and so I tried my absolute best to replicate that in Below the Fold.

My main problem with the standard visual novel dialogue system is that, as a writer by trade, I simply can't escape the feeling that I'm just looking at paper dolls and reading some guy's script. I've always felt like the depth of characterization in JRPG style cutscenes far exceeds that of even the most well written visual novels because the motions of the actors makes it all seem just a little bit more real. Being aware of the space of the world, even when it's 2d pixel art, makes a huge difference in our ability to interface emotionally with the action on the screen.

There's a reason why Stardew Valley is almost certainly the most successful dating sim of all time, and that's because while the player is pursuing their own goals, NPCs are allowed to exist visually and spatially in a shared world. There's really no understating the effect that has on people emotionally.

There's a fairly popular ROM Hack of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time that you may have heard of called Majora's Mask which features an extensive sidequest/romantic subplot about an innkeeper (historically one of the most under served characters in the history of videogame narratives) that resonated deeply with a generation of middle schoolers who stalked the low poly models of Anju and Kafei for hours and hours, trying to find the windows in their schedules that would allow their version of Link to save both the world and the marriage of the reused asset of the chicken lady from the previous game.

You're not wrong, I'm not right, but there's a reason I've elected to do things this way and I will stand on my sinking ship if I have to and defend my use of RPG Maker all the way down to the bottom of the ocean, where I will hopefully still be able to find an audience. I really hope if you do end up trusting me enough to give me a download that you are not disappointed. I'm here to entertain you guys with my story and I hope that I can at least make you smile a few times while you're saving and loading.
I am hoping this game will soon be available for Android users. Thoughtful games with good writing are hard to come by.

SuperMaxo

Nov 3, 2017
Hi

Decided to replay from the start, just because I remembered enjoying the story. Still do...

... but, is it just me? In Episode 1, on Day 2 of school, when Amber has to clear her schedule with her teachers and then with her lab partners, I did just that, but still can't leave school. The task just sits there in the notepad, even though Amber has blackmailed her math teacher, agreed to clean up the night art school, talked with her chemistry teacher and made an agreement with her lab partner.

Bug? Or I somehow goofed somewhere?

2.80 star(s) 5 Votes