Fan Art Big Brother: Fan Art

4.50 star(s) 8 Votes

Falcon6

Mar 15, 2018
Darn. G8 Lisa BB and Lisa GL lost the final round of the Team Strip Darts Tournament at the pub. What a shame. :whistle:

4K UHD 4096 resized. Still large, open full and scroll.

Lisa G8 BB & GL Duo - HDC - 01.png

Two "I'm still learning skin settings yet" Lisa G3's. First one was the default skin settings on the .duf file I'm using, and forgot to decrease the Bump setting. The second one was an attempt to add a bit of reflection to the skin, and what happened when I used too many Specular sliders without fully understanding how they all relate yet, so she ended up looking like she sprayed on enough suntan lotion to grease a crankshaft. Live and learn. :oops:

Lisa G3 - T&SS - Lylia G3 - 01.png Lisa G3 - T&SS - Lylia G3 - 01b.png

Manifold

Jan 14, 2018
Darn. G8 Lisa BB and Lisa GL lost the final round of the Team Strip Darts Tournament at the pub. What a shame. :whistle:

4K UHD 4096 resized. Still large, open full and scroll.

View attachment 1476695

Two "I'm still learning skin settings yet" Lisa G3's. First one was the default skin settings on the .duf file I'm using, and forgot to decrease the Bump setting. The second one was an attempt to add a bit of reflection to the skin, and what happened when I used too many Specular sliders without fully understanding how they all relate yet, so she ended up looking like she sprayed on enough suntan lotion to grease a crankshaft. Live and learn. :oops:

View attachment 1476698 View attachment 1476706
Some artists will add way more shinyness on the skin intentionally...I will never get it, and I wished your render would serve as a lesson for others too ;).

Falcon6

Mar 15, 2018
Some artists will add way more shinyness on the skin intentionally...I will never get it, and I wished your render would serve as a lesson for others too ;).
I can see how it would work now if someone WAS trying to get the "oily body" look, like a body builder contestant might have. Or lots of sweating on an extremely hot and humid day, etc. So to me it would just be artistic license by the creator. My post isn't trying to get anybody to change how they want to make a render. It's just one of my many, "Ah, sh*t!" moments still learning new things in Daz. :LOL:

Manifold

Jan 14, 2018
I can see how it would work now if someone WAS trying to get the "oily body" look, like a body builder contestant might have. Or lots of sweating on an extremely hot and humid day, etc. So to me it would just be artistic license by the creator. My post isn't trying to get anybody to change how they want to make a render. It's just one of my many, "Ah, sh*t!" moments still learning new things in Daz. :LOL:
Yeah sure, but what I had in mind was not those cases in particular where it would be justified (even then I hate it, but that's just me). For some reason some people just push those reflection buttons as an automatism. And it seems it always has something to do with being a newbie at 3D art, though I'm certainly not one to judge - which I am not. And nor were you, obviously, however, I hope your example might be food for thought for anyone ready to learn something.

Falcon6

Mar 15, 2018
Yeah sure, but what I had in mind was not those cases in particular where it would be justified (even then I hate it, but that's just me). For some reason some people just push those reflection buttons as an automatism. And it seems it always has something to do with being a newbie at 3D art, though I'm certainly not one to judge - which I am not. And nor were you, obviously, however, I hope your example might be food for thought for anyone ready to learn something.
I think it has a lot to do with the type of renders someone likes to do. I basically see two main types of rendering occurring in the "game fan art" forums. Some people do what I would call "pure" game renders using the models in the original game locations (rooms, outdoor places, etc) and even the models in those renders are rarely "photo-realistic" as far as using anything like a 3-point lighting system, skin reflections, etc. Most games use one generic light for a whole scene render, and the models aren't very "real world skin detailed" to begin with. Understandable, as it saves massive amounts of rendering time. And there's nothing wrong with that.

The second type (like I prefer to do) are more "photo-realistic" renders in non-game asset environments. I've already seen the inside of Lisa's bedroom enough times in my life from playing the game. And I grew up in the Playboy Centerfold days when all model pictures were "perfect" skin-wise. No blemishes. No wrinkles. Satin smooth skin with the perfect tan. Not really a realistic rendition of the actress/model, but more a "doctored" persona of the person (which still occurs today in advertising, promo shoots, etc). Long before digital Photoshop type editing was available. The "post processing" done back then was called "airbrushing" the picture to remove anything that might make the model look like a current day Paparazzi's "I caught you without your makeup on!" photo that would scare the heck outta you, even when it's not Halloween. Today, all that kind of post-processing is just done digitally. Daz Studio let's me try and do that with the kind of renders I do. I just gotta get a better understanding of all the available sliders yet. But I'm finding out that with the new G8.1F model skins, it's darn near impossible to get rid of "imperfect" skin details in many cases. I've lost count of how many kneecaps in my G8.1 model renders look like somebody thrashed the model's knees with maximum strength sandpaper. :LOL:

Last edited:
4.50 star(s) 8 Votes