Fan Art Big Brother: Fan Art

4.50 star(s) 8 Votes

WBWB

Jul 8, 2017
So, two questions. Does this community prefer PNG or JPG files?

How do I upload full-size images to the forum. I had been clicking Upload, then either Thumbnails or Fullsize reduces to 1600x960.

Thanks
When quality is most important regardless of file size, PNG is the better choice over JPEG, which sacrifices accuracy for a smaller file. And if you need alpha channel transparency, PNG can do it but JPEG cannot.

But if it's important that the file be small, it can be surprising how good JPEG can look even at very small sizes. The PNG below is 1.4 MB. The JPEG is 26K. That's more than 50 times smaller.

PNG:
Lisa-mini-crop.png
JPEG:
Lisa-mini-crop-JPEG.jpg

Both were cropped from the 4K original of this image:
Lisa-club-night.png

Story: Kira and Alice invite Lisa to go with them on Friday night. She's trying on suitable dance club attire and walks into the bathroom to see it in the mirror, but the bathroom is already occupied by Max who doesn't mind at all. Lisa's heard the stories about Alice losing her panties on these Friday night excursions, and she figures she can't lose her panties if she's not wearing any at the start . . .

M

MantisK

When quality is most important regardless of file size, PNG is the better choice over JPEG, which sacrifices accuracy for a smaller file. And if you need alpha channel transparency, PNG can do it but JPEG cannot.

But if it's important that the file be small, it can be surprising how good JPEG can look even at very small sizes. The PNG below is 1.4 MB. The JPEG is 26K. That's more than 50 times smaller.

PNG:
View attachment 22757
JPEG:
View attachment 22758

View attachment 22772

Story: Kira and Alice invite Lisa to go with them on Friday night. She's trying on suitable dance club attire and walks into the bathroom to see it in the mirror, but the bathroom is already occupied by Max who doesn't mind at all. Lisa's heard the stories about Alice losing her panties on these Friday night excursions, and she figures she can't lose her panties if she's not wearing any at the start . . .
I haven't thought about this since 08, but isn't the size more dependent on the dpi? I never worked in 3D, but there must be an equivalent there. I do know I use PNG for transparencies and when I convert to JPG they compress, but not that (50X) much.

jackolante

Sep 6, 2017

PNG:
View attachment 22757
JPEG:
View attachment 22758

View attachment 22772

good story!! but too short bro

Reactions: MarBull

WBWB

Jul 8, 2017
I haven't thought about this since 08, but isn't the size more dependent on the dpi? I never worked in 3D, but there must be an equivalent there. I do know I use PNG for transparencies and when I convert to JPG they compress, but not that (50X) much.
DPI is the measure of pixel size but it is meaningless without also stating viewing distance. The smartwatch at the end of my arm has 300 DPI. The 40 foot wide electronic billboard on the side of the highway has maybe 1-2 DPI. Both have about the same number of pixels and can convey about the same amount of information. JPEG does make assumptions about pixel size and viewing distance so that it can bet on whether our pathetic human eyesight will be able to see where it is hiding the noise. The Find Edges filter in Photoshop reveals the loss.

PNG:
PNG-edges.png

JPEG (quality 10):
JPEG-edges.png

Anyway, back on topic!

Max-Spoon-Ann-Lisa-Watching-1600x900.png
I'm not sure whether this fits in with the story of my previous renders of Ann helping prepare Max to deflower Lisa. Maybe this happens after that. Maybe Lisa already wants more.

4K version here.

jackolante

Sep 6, 2017
DPI is the measure of pixel size but it is meaningless without also stating viewing distance. The smartwatch at the end of my arm has 300 DPI. The 40 foot wide electronic billboard on the side of the highway has maybe 1-2 DPI. Both have about the same number of pixels and can convey about the same amount of information. JPEG does make assumptions about pixel size and viewing distance so that it can bet on whether our pathetic human eyesight will be able to see where it is hiding the noise. The Find Edges filter in Photoshop reveals the loss.

PNG:
View attachment 22813

JPEG (quality 10):
View attachment 22814

Anyway, back on topic!

View attachment 22819
I'm not sure whether this fits in with the story of my previous renders of Ann helping prepare Max to deflower Lisa. Maybe this happens after that. Maybe Lisa already wants more.

4K version here.
Ann and Max! The subject have never been end

M

MantisK

PNG:
View attachment 22813

JPEG (quality 10):
View attachment 22814

Anyway, back on topic!

View attachment 22819

4K version here.
You skewed the statement. In this paradigm we have a fixed 3D image being presented in a fixed 2D image, thus the alteration of distance is moot. The discussed factor was compression of image in multiple formats, not multiple distances.

redle

Apr 12, 2017
You skewed the statement. In this paradigm we have a fixed 3D image being presented in a fixed 2D image, thus the alteration of distance is moot. The discussed factor was compression of image in multiple formats, not multiple distances.
The fact that the original source has anything to do with 3D is also irrelevant. The bottom line is that the jpeg format was designed for the purpose of producing small file size. The png format was designed to retain maximum information.

As for the 50 times size reduction, results will vary greatly. It's like creating a zip file. I tell you I have a 1G size file and ask you how big it will be after zipping it. You can't say. It depends on the actual contents. Same with jpeg.

But really, file compression, format choice, usage, etc... it is a very complex discussion and not fit for hashing out in a fan art thread.

Reactions: Papa Ernie

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
Jpg for backgrounds. Png for characters, and objects rendered with alpha transparency.
For those of you who don't have the latest version of photoshop (2015 or 2017) there is an online converter
That can compress your PNGs and properly index them preserving scalable alpha transparency (destroyed by older versions of photoshop)

4.50 star(s) 8 Votes