Fan Art Big Brother: Fan Art

4.50 star(s) 8 Votes

WBWB

Jul 8, 2017
Here are two images for comparison. The first uses the game style Alice skin the second uses the more realistic one. There is a lighting change as well because the skins react to light differently.

View attachment 25447 View attachment 25448
I can see the second one has more detail and more contrast in the face, for example the eyebrows and eye shadow are darker. I can see the stubble of her pubes. There's detail in the creases of the joints such as the inside elbow and the knuckles. And the nipples, y'all know how I love me some nipples. What a difference.

The first looks blurry in comparison. It's like the difference between DVD and Blu-ray.

So, yeah, I like the new one.

I'm guessing it's the "SSS" sub-surface scattering translucency that affects how light reflects from it. Exactly how to make changes to that is something I've not explored, but many characters have presets to turn it on or off or to choose low-medium-high translucency. Hopefully you can get it dialed in so it's not so dramatically different from the original but still more realistic.

Can I nominate Lisa for the next one to get this treatment?

celtic1138

Game Developer
Apr 22, 2017
I can see the second one has more detail and more contrast in the face, for example the eyebrows and eye shadow are darker. I can see the stubble of her pubes. There's detail in the creases of the joints such as the inside elbow and the knuckles. And the nipples, y'all know how I love me some nipples. What a difference.

The first looks blurry in comparison. It's like the difference between DVD and Blu-ray.

So, yeah, I like the new one.

I'm guessing it's the "SSS" sub-surface scattering translucency that affects how light reflects from it. Exactly how to make changes to that is something I've not explored, but many characters have presets to turn it on or off or to choose low-medium-high translucency. Hopefully you can get it dialed in so it's not so dramatically different from the original but still more realistic.

Can I nominate Lisa for the next one to get this treatment?
The sss is certainly part of it, but the translucency is different as well and that's also having an effect on how the light reacts to the skin. There are a bunch of different maps and variables. The first skin tends to react to all light mostly in a similar way, whereas the second reacts in a more natural way, so it can become more washed out or reflective or have more of a glow etc. Anyway, here is another example with the lighting not changed at all

Alice test 3.jpg Alice test 4.jpg

I intend to do the other characters as I go, it's a good technical challenge and helps me understand the settings better. I'll try and do a Lisa one next;)

celtic1138

Game Developer
Apr 22, 2017
Why is Alice's hair grey on so much fan art? Rendering issues?
The black version of that hair loads that way. The base colour of the hair needs to be changed from white to medium grey in surfaces tab in order to darken it. None of us are experts so not everyone has that figured out, or knows how to do it.

skyphernaut

Jul 2, 2017
The sss is certainly part of it, but the translucency is different as well and that's also having an effect on how the light reacts to the skin. There are a bunch of different maps and variables. The first skin tends to react to all light mostly in a similar way, whereas the second reacts in a more natural way, so it can become more washed out or reflective or have more of a glow etc. Anyway, here is another example with the lighting not changed at all

View attachment 25568 View attachment 25569

I intend to do the other characters as I go, it's a good technical challenge and helps me understand the settings better. I'll try and do a Lisa one next;)
Both look good, but the second one brings out so much skin details that you can't see clearly on the first. And celtic, if you don't mind, which HDR are you using on these pics? I'm experimenting some things with HDR but none looks this good.

obiwan21

Jul 29, 2017
At min. intel 3Ghz quad core with as much ram the mother board can handle up to 32Gb with at least GTX 1060 at min. (1080 would be great though.) Extra case cooling fans.
You really need to have an nvidia card with at least 4gb of ram. But I would recommend something with a nvidia geforce gtx1060 or better. The more system ram the better... the larger the scene and the more characters you want to use will require higher ram... I'd recommend 16GB+. You also want a multi-core processor... 2ghz or better. Hard drive will have a little effect but it not too big a deal.
So, Black Friday deals are going to start in about a month and I need to upgrade to have that sweet iRay render speed :)
Was hoping to get some help on what pieces I should replace.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 Haswell Quad-Core 3.5 GHz
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB GDDR5

I know the GPU has to be upgraded. Should I aim for a 1080 as mentioned above?Also, will 16GB to 32GB make a huge difference? GPU is PCI 3.0, I can put it in my 2.0 slot and use a new GPU for rendering only.

micmitja

Forum Fanatic
Aug 6, 2017
So, Black Friday deals are going to start in about a month and I need to upgrade to have that sweet iRay render speed :)
Was hoping to get some help on what pieces I should replace.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 Haswell Quad-Core 3.5 GHz
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB GDDR5

I know the GPU has to be upgraded. Should I aim for a 1080 as mentioned above?Also, will 16GB to 32GB make a huge difference? GPU is PCI 3.0, I can put it in my 2.0 slot and use a new GPU for rendering only.
Well graphic for sure as rest goes will leave for experts :)

Just wanted to inform you that few days ago there was same discussion and was created new thread that you might want to check out.

Reactions: obiwan21

WBWB

Jul 8, 2017
The black version of that hair loads that way. The base colour of the hair needs to be changed from white to medium grey in surfaces tab in order to darken it. None of us are experts so not everyone has that figured out, or knows how to do it.
Thanks for reminding me to look at that. The base color is a texture file Hair_Color_K01.jpg which is basically hair-like streaks of black with white highlights. Looks like it was an attempt to add a fake glossy lustre to the black hair to make the detail stand out instead of being indistinguishable blackness on top of the head, but it only makes it look like Alice is almost ready to move to Florida and drive real slow to Bingo Night at the VFW. I used Levels in Photoshop to push the white down to 128 and then to 64. I think I'll go with the 64.

Alice hair check before.png Alice hair check 128.png Alice hair check 64.png

Chancer

May 13, 2017
Thanks for reminding me to look at that. The base color is a texture file Hair_Color_K01.jpg which is basically hair-like streaks of black with white highlights. Looks like it was an attempt to add a fake glossy lustre to the black hair to make the detail stand out instead of being indistinguishable blackness on top of the head, but it only makes it look like Alice is almost ready to move to Florida and drive real slow to Bingo Night at the VFW. I used Levels in Photoshop to push the white down to 128 and then to 64. I think I'll go with the 64.

View attachment 25656 View attachment 25657 View attachment 25658

I agree the 64 looks best.

Reactions: namilab

CJ0

May 31, 2017
For example...
r6.png

All surfaces:
Base color 0,0,0
Glossy color 0.22, 0.22, 0.22
Top coat color 0.046, 0.046, 0.046
Emission color 0,0,0

obiwan21

Jul 29, 2017
Well graphic for sure as rest goes will leave for experts :)

Just wanted to inform you that few days ago there was same discussion and was created new thread that you might want to check out.

Epicuren

May 10, 2017
Christopher, the scene was actually by the pool. However, it wasn't where she normally smoked. I have moved it there, and adjusted the sun.

JSF2, I thought the same about the grey hair. As celtic said, that's how it loads. I was going into the shader to just make it black when I saw his post. I made the white portion gray at 92 92 92.

jackolante, that was the unmod skin. In another scene I thought it looked better, but I'll let you all judge. 1, 2, or 3? Movie3b05_1.png Movie3b05_2.png Movie3b05_3.png

celtic1138

Game Developer
Apr 22, 2017
Christopher, the scene was actually by the pool. However, it wasn't where she normally smoked. I have moved it there, and adjusted the sun.

JSF2, I thought the same about the grey hair. As celtic said, that's how it loads. I was going into the shader to just make it black when I saw his post. I made the white portion gray at 92 92 92.

jackolante, that was the unmod skin. In another scene I thought it looked better, but I'll let you all judge. 1, 2, or 3? View attachment 25686 View attachment 25687 View attachment 25688
Nice work.

The first one just looks dull, that skin always bothered me:). The second one looks like she does in the game. I like the look of the third one personally, I think it looks really good but the second one, as I say, is the one that matches the game best.

Max's hair is meant to be black by the way. Also there is an updated version of the outside area with better looking grass:) in Funfiction's post:

WBWB

Jul 8, 2017

jackolante, that was the unmod skin. In another scene I thought it looked better, but I'll let you all judge. 1, 2, or 3? View attachment 25686 View attachment 25687 View attachment 25688
Not sure about the skin but I think the shaping looks off. Isn't the Alice shape recipe 100% "Eliya" for both body and head?

4.50 star(s) 8 Votes