Johntheloner

Jun 14, 2017
1) I used Twine in the beginning, but you can't pass variables back and forth between twine and JS, and update them. So having any game mechanics in Twine that are not just story and multiple options based is out.

2) I haven't added stuff like "game gets harder closer to victory", maximum I have had was 2 streaks of blackjack in a row, I think you were just unlucky :LOL::LOL::LOL:.

3) Would making the images the same size make the layout better? Any other suggestions for how to make it better?

4) I don't think there are games that only run on html, the JS is either included inside the html itself or linked to inside the html. This is the case for Twine games.

5) The idea was this (actual spoiler for future content):
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Your comments here indicate you have ZERO idea how twine works, or even a remote idea what it is capable of. You aren't supposed to use raw JS for variables or actual code in twine (although you can technically do so, via making a 'script' passage to manage your JS, but that is... limited). You use the modified libraries provided, typically sugarcube, in order to embed code that does in fact allow you to manage variables, and outputs to a singular html file. The comment that you can't have 'any game mechanics in Twine that are not just story and multiple options based' is utterly inaccurate. Go look up the game 'freecities'. That was done in Twine, and has a lot more complex stuff going on than 'lol linear choice based' the way you are ignorantly claiming is where twine's limits are. It's capable of a lot more than straight forward CHYOA stories.
2. I played through multiple times, and had a ton of instances where I saw LONG streaks of abnormal highs or lows, and pretty frequently saw double blackjacks from both dealer and gambler. I also noticed a consistent trend of the game generating more consistent highs for the dealer when they were lower in remaining cash, and causing sudden streaks of busts to occur on gambler side in same scenario. Even if the code technically isn't biased, it VERY easily gives that impression that it's being unfair, and that is something you want to avoid. Your comment here comes across as being overly dismissive, tbh.
3. Same size images can help, as can not flooding the player with images. Structuring the text passages better around the images would also be a massive help. The core 'system ui' is itself pretty bad. You should also really look at automating save management, or at least changing the save location to be specifically in the same folder as the game's HTML.
4. Never said it wasn't. The difference is that Twine is an established engine that is much easier to manage than creating your own structure solely via raw JS code. It's quicker, it has better built-in sanity checking, and has changes to make functions easier, as well as being easier for players to interact with, or even provide bug reports/code fixes for. There is a reason it is highly used, and it is a lot more versatile than some people give it credit for.
5. Then what, on gods green earth, is the purpose of giving that 'choice' at the beginning, other than to annoy players and waste their time? What is the purpose of adding choices that functionally are not a choice?

There is literally nothing in your game at the moment, that couldn't be done in Twine, with twine's default presentation leading to a better presentation than what you have cobbled together.

NoobGames

Jun 1, 2019
Your comments here indicate you have ZERO idea how twine works, or even a remote idea what it is capable of. You aren't supposed to use raw JS for variables or actual code in twine (although you can technically do so, via making a 'script' passage to manage your JS, but that is... limited). You use the modified libraries provided, typically sugarcube, in order to embed code that does in fact allow you to manage variables, and outputs to a singular html file. The comment that you can't have 'any game mechanics in Twine that are not just story and multiple options based' is utterly inaccurate. Go look up the game 'freecities'. That was done in Twine, and has a lot more complex stuff going on than 'lol linear choice based' the way you are ignorantly claiming is where twine's limits are. It's capable of a lot more than straight forward CHYOA stories.
2. I played through multiple times, and had a ton of instances where I saw LONG streaks of abnormal highs or lows, and pretty frequently saw double blackjacks from both dealer and gambler. I also noticed a consistent trend of the game generating more consistent highs for the dealer when they were lower in remaining cash, and causing sudden streaks of busts to occur on gambler side in same scenario. Even if the code technically isn't biased, it VERY easily gives that impression that it's being unfair, and that is something you want to avoid. Your comment here comes across as being overly dismissive, tbh.
3. Same size images can help, as can not flooding the player with images. Structuring the text passages better around the images would also be a massive help. The core 'system ui' is itself pretty bad. You should also really look at automating save management, or at least changing the save location to be specifically in the same folder as the game's HTML.
4. Never said it wasn't. The difference is that Twine is an established engine that is much easier to manage than creating your own structure solely via raw JS code. It's quicker, it has better built-in sanity checking, and has changes to make functions easier, as well as being easier for players to interact with, or even provide bug reports/code fixes for. There is a reason it is highly used, and it is a lot more versatile than some people give it credit for.
5. Then what, on gods green earth, is the purpose of giving that 'choice' at the beginning, other than to annoy players and waste their time? What is the purpose of adding choices that functionally are not a choice?

There is literally nothing in your game at the moment, that couldn't be done in Twine, with twine's default presentation leading to a better presentation than what you have cobbled together.
Hey man, I appreciate your enthusiasm tbh. And I will work to make the game better( both game mechanics and visuals).

As for Twine, I did play "free cities", and the has an insane amount of work done on it, it's a classic game, and a great way to waste an afternoon. However, it still only implements mechanics that are given to you by twine, those are: creating and editing variables, changing story pages according to user choices, styling text and images, save load,...

However, if you wanted to do something as simple as create a variable in a Twine story, and then in code editor either show it or not according to a boolean variable that you created in the code editor, then you would not be able to do this. Basically, you can't create JS variables and then use them in Twine. This makes the whole code editor part of Twine kinda useless(I used sugarcube 2, so I am not sure about other configs, but I believe they are even worse).

Furthermore Twine doesn't have the structure that an OOP gives you, this means that the more the story expands, and the more complex things you want to do, the more work you will have to put in, which increases exponentially.

By creating an engine of my own, It is easier to fix bugs, restructure code, and add new feature.

I hope you will keep an eye open for future releases, and I hope you will come to enjoy the game once its issues are fixed.
:giggle::giggle::giggle:

Erik1986

Jul 5, 2017
While the premise is a fun thing, the reality of it is that when Blackjack is introduced in any form in any game, it always simply is a money sink. By its nature, Blackjack is skewed to the house its favour due to it being pure luck based.

This shows in this game, where even just winning a hand can be like a 5:1 split (being 5 losses to each 1 win) or something feeling like that. Unless you actualy change it so the player wins more by cheating (like giving us a option to cheat a card through some sort of minigame, or just outright making us get better hands) then winning (stripping) the opponent is like playing deadsouls with ironman mode, you just cant win.

I would sugjest a cardgame with more chance for winning in general, even maybe with strategy involved, instead of Blackjack. Also, your supposed to be blessed by lady luck right :confused:

Reactions: sp99 and Henry73au

Johntheloner

Jun 14, 2017
Hey man, I appreciate your enthusiasm tbh. And I will work to make the game better( both game mechanics and visuals).

As for Twine, I did play "free cities", and the has an insane amount of work done on it, it's a classic game, and a great way to waste an afternoon. However, it still only implements mechanics that are given to you by twine, those are: creating and editing variables, changing story pages according to user choices, styling text and images, save load,...

However, if you wanted to do something as simple as create a variable in a Twine story, and then in code editor either show it or not according to a boolean variable that you created in the code editor, then you would not be able to do this. Basically, you can't create JS variables and then use them in Twine. This makes the whole code editor part of Twine kinda useless(I used sugarcube 2, so I am not sure about other configs, but I believe they are even worse).

Furthermore Twine doesn't have the structure that an OOP gives you, this means that the more the story expands, and the more complex things you want to do, the more work you will have to put in, which increases exponentially.

By creating an engine of my own, It is easier to fix bugs, restructure code, and add new feature.

I hope you will keep an eye open for future releases, and I hope you will come to enjoy the game once its issues are fixed.
:giggle::giggle::giggle:
Except that you very much can 'in code editor either show it or not via a boolean variable', unless I'm very much misunderstanding what you intend to mean. You can do that in Harlowe, which is the most restrictive of the formats for twine, IIRC. It's been a while since I dug into actual coding for twine, but in Harlowe, it should be something along the lines of (and there are other methods avialable, this is just the most blatantly simple):
(if: $variable is 2)[This text/markup is only displayed if $variable is 2.]
It's literally that simple to setup a method to hide links, functions, or text, via a boolean format. You can use quite similar methods to outright prevent code from running if preconditions aren't met. Literally anything with else/if functionality can hide or not execute code based on boolean variables.
Sugarcube, I know for a fact, lets you set up outright boolean true false variables, although I don't remember enough of it to give an example off the top of my head.

Part of what is annoying me here, is that you very clearly don't know what you are talking about when it comes to how twine functions. You have repeatedly made blatantly false statements.

Literally everything you can do via raw JS embedded in HTML, can be done in twine. For the purposes of a text and image based game embedded in HTML, what you are saying regarding JS being 'easier to fix bugs, restructure code, and add new features' is just flat out wrong (bugfixing in particular is much easier in Twine, since it by default outputs relatively verbose error messages to explain the error, literally telling you where it originates, on the user end. Which makes bug reporting drastically simplified, and directly points out where the error actually is. That doesn't fix spaghetti problems, but those are a developer issue, not a tool one). Objectively it is not easier to build your own engine rather than take advantage of a known one that uses modified libraries expressly for the purposes of such a type of game. Twine allows you to assemble variables/functions remote from the passages they are actually used in, if you so desire, and allows them to interact with each other freely. It's no less object oriented than JS. It's also not easier to add new features/functions in one versus the other. I'd actually argue it can be easier to do so in Twine, because you can expand the new features/functions as a branch off the original structure, and then for the original passages/code, all you have to do is have it alter new variables/call output related to those features, vs having to completely redo everything to integrate a new feature.
The amount of work doesn't expand exponentially compared to raw javascript.

It really comes across as 'I didn't bother to learn how twine works, so I'm going to claim JS is better'.

It's one thing to say 'I don't know how Twine works, so I used raw JS'. It's another thing entirely to claim it can't do the same things, when it very much can. Especially when the existing content literally does nothing that cannot be done via Twine Harlowe, let alone the more powerful Sugarcube. As it is, your custom engine is literally worse than out of the box twine, in ui design, and also in actual game function, what with it feeling the need to spam popups after basically every click during the main gameplay.

If you want to make your game in Javascript, that's fine. But please don't run your mouth about other options as if they aren't capable of doing the exact same things. Something as simple as 'I don't feel like learning Twine', or 'I'm more comfortable with embedded JS' would be more acceptable than proving you don't know what you are talking about while claiming that you do.

The real question you have to ask here, is 'do I want this game to, in the end, do anything that isn't doable in HTML embedded JS?' Because if the answer to that is 'no', than there is no objective reason for using raw JS over Twine. Literally the only time I can think of JS being objectively superior, is if you were actively planning on expanding beyond the limitations of HTML-embedded JS, where raw JS code is easier to port over to proper Java or to an external non-html embed engine than what Twine puts out.
But with the overall description of this game, and it's current state, I'm not seeing anything you could want to do in it, aside from maybe some sort of versus multiplayer mode or something, that twine can't do.
Ultimately, it is your choice, but don't act as if your choice is objectively based.

NoobGames

Jun 1, 2019
While the premise is a fun thing, the reality of it is that when Blackjack is introduced in any form in any game, it always simply is a money sink. By its nature, Blackjack is skewed to the house its favour due to it being pure luck based.

This shows in this game, where even just winning a hand can be like a 5:1 split (being 5 losses to each 1 win) or something feeling like that. Unless you actualy change it so the player wins more by cheating (like giving us a option to cheat a card through some sort of minigame, or just outright making us get better hands) then winning (stripping) the opponent is like playing deadsouls with ironman mode, you just cant win.

I would sugjest a cardgame with more chance for winning in general, even maybe with strategy involved, instead of Blackjack. Also, your supposed to be blessed by lady luck right :confused:
If you do make it past the first game, the player gets something called Emperor Points, which you can use to change the score, the idea is to make the game not just 100% luck, but add a layer of decision making for the player.

i don't think it's worth it bro, the only femdom images are the one showing when you lose to the dealer, aka bad ending.
Yeah unfortunately it is as you say, I don't see how a sub path would make sense in a game about mind controlling other people, I am open to suggestions though.

Except that you very much can 'in code editor either show it or not via a boolean variable', unless I'm very much misunderstanding what you intend to mean. You can do that in Harlowe, which is the most restrictive of the formats for twine, IIRC. It's been a while since I dug into actual coding for twine, but in Harlowe, it should be something along the lines of (and there are other methods avialable, this is just the most blatantly simple):
(if: $variable is 2)[This text/markup is only displayed if $variable is 2.]
It's literally that simple to setup a method to hide links, functions, or text, via a boolean format. You can use quite similar methods to outright prevent code from running if preconditions aren't met. Literally anything with else/if functionality can hide or not execute code based on boolean variables.
Sugarcube, I know for a fact, lets you set up outright boolean true false variables, although I don't remember enough of it to give an example off the top of my head.

Part of what is annoying me here, is that you very clearly don't know what you are talking about when it comes to how twine functions. You have repeatedly made blatantly false statements.

Literally everything you can do via raw JS embedded in HTML, can be done in twine. For the purposes of a text and image based game embedded in HTML, what you are saying regarding JS being 'easier to fix bugs, restructure code, and add new features' is just flat out wrong (bugfixing in particular is much easier in Twine, since it by default outputs relatively verbose error messages to explain the error, literally telling you where it originates, on the user end. Which makes bug reporting drastically simplified, and directly points out where the error actually is. That doesn't fix spaghetti problems, but those are a developer issue, not a tool one). Objectively it is not easier to build your own engine rather than take advantage of a known one that uses modified libraries expressly for the purposes of such a type of game. Twine allows you to assemble variables/functions remote from the passages they are actually used in, if you so desire, and allows them to interact with each other freely. It's no less object oriented than JS. It's also not easier to add new features/functions in one versus the other. I'd actually argue it can be easier to do so in Twine, because you can expand the new features/functions as a branch off the original structure, and then for the original passages/code, all you have to do is have it alter new variables/call output related to those features, vs having to completely redo everything to integrate a new feature.
The amount of work doesn't expand exponentially compared to raw javascript.

It really comes across as 'I didn't bother to learn how twine works, so I'm going to claim JS is better'.

It's one thing to say 'I don't know how Twine works, so I used raw JS'. It's another thing entirely to claim it can't do the same things, when it very much can. Especially when the existing content literally does nothing that cannot be done via Twine Harlowe, let alone the more powerful Sugarcube. As it is, your custom engine is literally worse than out of the box twine, in ui design, and also in actual game function, what with it feeling the need to spam popups after basically every click during the main gameplay.

If you want to make your game in Javascript, that's fine. But please don't run your mouth about other options as if they aren't capable of doing the exact same things. Something as simple as 'I don't feel like learning Twine', or 'I'm more comfortable with embedded JS' would be more acceptable than proving you don't know what you are talking about while claiming that you do.

The real question you have to ask here, is 'do I want this game to, in the end, do anything that isn't doable in HTML embedded JS?' Because if the answer to that is 'no', than there is no objective reason for using raw JS over Twine. Literally the only time I can think of JS being objectively superior, is if you were actively planning on expanding beyond the limitations of HTML-embedded JS, where raw JS code is easier to port over to proper Java or to an external non-html embed engine than what Twine puts out.
But with the overall description of this game, and it's current state, I'm not seeing anything you could want to do in it, aside from maybe some sort of versus multiplayer mode or something, that twine can't do.
Ultimately, it is your choice, but don't act as if your choice is objectively based.
Look man, just answer me this, how can I implement the blackjack game in Twine?

Johntheloner

Jun 14, 2017
If you do make it past the first game, the player gets something called Emperor Points, which you can use to change the score, the idea is to make the game not just 100% luck, but add a layer of decision making for the player.

Yeah unfortunately it is as you say, I don't see how a sub path would make sense in a game about mind controlling other people, I am open to suggestions though.

Look man, just answer me this, how can I implement the blackjack game in Twine?
It's a relatively simple card game (although I'm a little fuzzy on exact rules regarding aces, but what I say here can be easily applied with slight changes). Off the top of my head? Set up a variable representing the number of possible cards, assign each number to a specific card value and image display (like, for example, 1 as ace of spades, 2 as one of spades, so on and so forth until you've met the intended number of decks), set it up to handle each draw independently, and reroll if duplicate numbers pop, while controlling the win/loss pages via a variable related to the number value of the hand, that is then displayed, while storing the used card draw variables to re-use the images again. For the different 'stages' of the game, simply reuse the same win-loss passages, but change the displayed image via a variable referencing the available funds of the characters. For controlling hitting, standing, and such, you can simply use if code to force the dealer to not roll another draw again if they have hit 16, and immediately move to the win/loss page if a value of 22 or greater is reached.
Aces are a little more complex, and having them run as wild would involve defining them as being at specific values based on the overall point value of the hand. for example if the hand value is greater than eleven, have it run a check on the values of the numbers defined as 'aces' and alter it by minus 10, while if hand value is equal to or less than 11, subtract 10 from value, but not below 0.
So in other words, define the value of aces as 11, with a conditional alteration if the current hand value is over a certain amount, that reduces it by 10, creating a new value of 1. Then simply have the win/loss page reset the base value of the ace variable back to 11 after running all other code on that page.
Alternatively, you could handle aces by having the hand value run initially, take the tallied up result, and then subtract 10 for each instance of one of the identified ace cards when the hand value is over 11.
Define end of card game by moving to new passages rather than looping through existing passages, moving to a 'win condition' if the dealer hits a money variable of 0 (or less than zero, depending on how you write out the code), and a 'loss state' if the player hits money variable of 0.
I'm not going to spend the time actually coding everything out, that's way longer (and more technical) of a comment than I feel is appropriate for this site, and also more effort to go to than I feel is warranted, considering that what I explained is quite doable in twine. I'm sure if I really stopped and thought about it, I could simplify the method further.

Reactions: divi-dead

throwa

Jun 1, 2018
When you saw the word "possession" did you think "something I own" instead of the supernatural, mind/soul transference kind of possession? Not into that fetish but I am pretty certain based on the game as it currently stands, there is nothing to warrant the possession tag as used on this website.

NoobGames

Jun 1, 2019
When you saw the word "possession" did you think "something I own" instead of the supernatural, mind/soul transference kind of possession? Not into that fetish but I am pretty certain based on the game as it currently stands, there is nothing to warrant the possession tag as used on this website.
I wasn't sure if it was possession or mind control, but I think possession might fit more than mind-control, as the idea is that you "eat" someone's soul, thus they become your willing servants.

NoobGames

Jun 1, 2019
It's a relatively simple card game (although I'm a little fuzzy on exact rules regarding aces, but what I say here can be easily applied with slight changes). Off the top of my head? Set up a variable representing the number of possible cards, assign each number to a specific card value and image display (like, for example, 1 as ace of spades, 2 as one of spades, so on and so forth until you've met the intended number of decks), set it up to handle each draw independently, and reroll if duplicate numbers pop, while controlling the win/loss pages via a variable related to the number value of the hand, that is then displayed, while storing the used card draw variables to re-use the images again. For the different 'stages' of the game, simply reuse the same win-loss passages, but change the displayed image via a variable referencing the available funds of the characters. For controlling hitting, standing, and such, you can simply use if code to force the dealer to not roll another draw again if they have hit 16, and immediately move to the win/loss page if a value of 22 or greater is reached.
Aces are a little more complex, and having them run as wild would involve defining them as being at specific values based on the overall point value of the hand. for example if the hand value is greater than eleven, have it run a check on the values of the numbers defined as 'aces' and alter it by minus 10, while if hand value is equal to or less than 11, subtract 10 from value, but not below 0.
So in other words, define the value of aces as 11, with a conditional alteration if the current hand value is over a certain amount, that reduces it by 10, creating a new value of 1. Then simply have the win/loss page reset the base value of the ace variable back to 11 after running all other code on that page.
Alternatively, you could handle aces by having the hand value run initially, take the tallied up result, and then subtract 10 for each instance of one of the identified ace cards when the hand value is over 11.
Define end of card game by moving to new passages rather than looping through existing passages, moving to a 'win condition' if the dealer hits a money variable of 0 (or less than zero, depending on how you write out the code), and a 'loss state' if the player hits money variable of 0.
I'm not going to spend the time actually coding everything out, that's way longer (and more technical) of a comment than I feel is appropriate for this site, and also more effort to go to than I feel is warranted, considering that what I explained is quite doable in twine. I'm sure if I really stopped and thought about it, I could simplify the method further.
What you are saying is basically set it up to have a ton of passages according to the different states of the game, plus you would need more passages in order to change the picture of the dealer as the dealer's cash increases and decreases. You would need to do this for every dealer.

I appreciate the time you spent writing these answers, however, I don't believe Twine is a viable option for long term projects, especially for games that are not purely story based.

Can you think of any games made in Twine that use complex mechanics? Not just go from one passage to another according to player decision and variables?

Revan84

Aug 13, 2018
Its a very basic black jack game with an horrendous UI. Its very hard on the eye.

I gave it 2 attempts and didn't get anywhere in the black jack. Its by its very nature skewed toward the dealer so you have to be lucky to win a hand and have to very lucky to win the majority of hands, which I'm guessing you need to do see any H.

As the odds are staked in the dealers favor you really need to have more starting money than the dealer.

But seriously that UI is enough to never want me to play this game again...
I don't recognize this tbh, it was fairly equal back and forth for my playthrough.
But seriously, ending the game right after you're supposed to get your reward for beating the dealer? That's a low blow :p

Davox

Jul 15, 2017
I don't recognize this tbh, it was fairly equal back and forth for my playthrough.
But seriously, ending the game right after you're supposed to get your reward for beating the dealer? That's a low blow :p
Its not a comment on the game per se its based on Casino based black jack. The dealer knows what you have finished on before they play, so they have the advantage.

The odds always favor the Casino. Most players will loose but a few players will win.

Congratulations on being a winner.

Apr 14, 2019
Here's the thing when you make a blackjack game like this, in order for someone to win without it just being blind luck you have to implement way more options of play (doubles, splits, surrenders, etc.) at a bare minimum because even if you play to your odds perfectly (this is called basic strategy in blackjack) *and* have all these options you've still only leveled the playing field to about a 99% equality. Meaning that you're going to be losing 1% more often than the dealer and ergo losing money overtime. If you want a player to be able to win this game without grinding it out or editing the save file you'll need to either implement those changes or add some behind the scenes disadvantage to the dealer

Erik1986

Jul 5, 2017
Best way to deal with it in this moment i think is to reveal both of the dealers cards. This way you the player have an idea of how likely you are to win, and can thus make a strategy. Also, it seems the dealer plays at the same time as the player, sometimes busting while you the player only hit 1 card. It should be that the player goes first, then the dealer goes if they have 16 or less, otherwise the stand (17+).

Also, as another player noted, you cant play double down, you cant insure against a dealer Blackjack on flop (so face card open and one hidden.), and you cant split 2 equil cards. These add alot of versitility for the player, especialy the later (splitting card) cause you can turn a risky 14 in to 2 x 7 with seperate chances to win.

The blackjack portion needs some work to make it functional for the game. Keep up the work though, and good luck.

Apr 14, 2019
Best way to deal with it in this moment i think is to reveal both of the dealers cards. This way you the player have an idea of how likely you are to win, and can thus make a strategy. Also, it seems the dealer plays at the same time as the player, sometimes busting while you the player only hit 1 card. It should be that the player goes first, then the dealer goes if they have 16 or less, otherwise the stand (17+).

Also, as another player noted, you cant play double down, you cant insure against a dealer Blackjack on flop (so face card open and one hidden.), and you cant split 2 equil cards. These add alot of versitility for the player, especialy the later (splitting card) cause you can turn a risky 14 in to 2 x 7 with seperate chances to win.

The blackjack portion needs some work to make it functional for the game. Keep up the work though, and good luck.
Having both cards shown would massively skew it towards the player then if the computer isn't playing basic strategy. I think implementing the rest of the things you can normally do during blackjack will eliminate most of the problem here, no need to massively change the structure of the game

Johntheloner

Jun 14, 2017
What you are saying is basically set it up to have a ton of passages according to the different states of the game, plus you would need more passages in order to change the picture of the dealer as the dealer's cash increases and decreases. You would need to do this for every dealer.

I appreciate the time you spent writing these answers, however, I don't believe Twine is a viable option for long term projects, especially for games that are not purely story based.

Can you think of any games made in Twine that use complex mechanics? Not just go from one passage to another according to player decision and variables?
Uh, no. You would not need 'a ton of passages according to the different states of the game and more to change the picture of the dealer'. Did you not bother to read what I wrote?
You would need, for the purposes of the blackjack game, like, 5 passages. The 'main' passage where the game itself takes place (where the multiple hands can literally be handled via reloading a single passage by way of conditional variables preventing the later draws from being performed, or simply not counting them until the passage is reloaded, and a simple 'if' that prevents the existing values from being rerolled, like setting it to not run the roll for the first draw if the value of the first draw is already anything other than zero, or setting a boolean to trigger on first roll related to each draw), a win screen, a loss screen (both win and loss screens containing code to reset certain variables back to their initial value), and the continue forward and game over screens. You can change the picture of the dealer by way of a single variable that directs to different images depending on the status of the dealer's cash variable, without needing additional passages. You can control access to win/loss screens and the continue/game over screen via simply hiding the links to their passages using conditional values, allowing the existing passage to link directly back to itself, or you could even use a script via JS to force the page to update without actually reloading the passage. There are many ways to handle it.

You again simply make it very clear you know absolutely nothing when it comes to twine. As has been said before, it is more than robust enough to do literally anything that HTML-embedded JS can, with a structure that tends to be a lot easier to understand and keep well-organized via the passages system, which works really well as a visual representation. it's a lot more newbie friendly.

Your definition of what qualifies as a 'complex mechanic' is also extremely arbitrary. Since literally any game or mechanic functions by updating it's state according to player inputs and variables.
I have in fact seen twine games that implemented timers, hidden object hunting, and other such things. The only real restriction twine has is that it is functionally restricted to turn-based systems unless you desire to spend a LOT of time on behind the scenes code in order to make it do something it's really not intended for. Luckily, text/image/video based games don't exactly have much call for needing to do realtime display updates and changes in a 3d space, which is pretty much the only thing twine would truly have issues with. You can in fact do a lot of 'advanced' things with twine. While I haven't actually done it before, an 'active time battle' combat system like some of the older final fantasy games is fully doable in twine, code wise. The real issue that comes up there, is setting up visual assets for it, which takes far more work than the actual code for it would.

NoobGames

Jun 1, 2019
Uh, no. You would not need 'a ton of passages according to the different states of the game and more to change the picture of the dealer'. Did you not bother to read what I wrote?
You would need, for the purposes of the blackjack game, like, 5 passages. The 'main' passage where the game itself takes place (where the multiple hands can literally be handled via reloading a single passage by way of conditional variables preventing the later draws from being performed, or simply not counting them until the passage is reloaded, and a simple 'if' that prevents the existing values from being rerolled, like setting it to not run the roll for the first draw if the value of the first draw is already anything other than zero, or setting a boolean to trigger on first roll related to each draw), a win screen, a loss screen (both win and loss screens containing code to reset certain variables back to their initial value), and the continue forward and game over screens. You can change the picture of the dealer by way of a single variable that directs to different images depending on the status of the dealer's cash variable, without needing additional passages. You can control access to win/loss screens and the continue/game over screen via simply hiding the links to their passages using conditional values, allowing the existing passage to link directly back to itself, or you could even use a script via JS to force the page to update without actually reloading the passage. There are many ways to handle it.

You again simply make it very clear you know absolutely nothing when it comes to twine. As has been said before, it is more than robust enough to do literally anything that HTML-embedded JS can, with a structure that tends to be a lot easier to understand and keep well-organized via the passages system, which works really well as a visual representation. it's a lot more newbie friendly.

Your definition of what qualifies as a 'complex mechanic' is also extremely arbitrary. Since literally any game or mechanic functions by updating it's state according to player inputs and variables.
I have in fact seen twine games that implemented timers, hidden object hunting, and other such things. The only real restriction twine has is that it is functionally restricted to turn-based systems unless you desire to spend a LOT of time on behind the scenes code in order to make it do something it's really not intended for. Luckily, text/image/video based games don't exactly have much call for needing to do realtime display updates and changes in a 3d space, which is pretty much the only thing twine would truly have issues with. You can in fact do a lot of 'advanced' things with twine. While I haven't actually done it before, an 'active time battle' combat system like some of the older final fantasy games is fully doable in twine, code wise. The real issue that comes up there, is setting up visual assets for it, which takes far more work than the actual code for it would.
You keep insisting I have no idea about Twine for some reason, even though I did use it to make another game.

Give me some examples of games that use mechanics other than story ones in Twine.

1.00 star(s) 1 Vote