Axeleen

May 1, 2018
Holy shit, are there only kids in here ??? Do yourself a favor and just watch the real video, you'll have more sexual excitement in 5 mins than you will have in 5 hours with this abomination of a "game"...

tiger5676

Oct 3, 2017
when you play a few hands a message pops up "one or more games are running...." seems when you win a few hands the game doesnt want you to win.

Astro55

Nov 17, 2017
when you play a few hands a message pops up "one or more games are running...." seems when you win a few hands the game doesnt want you to win.
Yes, It's very buggy. The first time I played it I lost immediately, but my second game I made it through 3 of the girls. Since then, I have had the same error you have. At first I thought it was a reshuffle error as I was nearing the end of the two decks when it happened, but on another game it happened after 2 hands of loosing and 2 hands of winning.

cantwakeup111

Mar 3, 2018
i don't know man. if you ever get to adding more girls with a nice gif/webm selection maybe i'll try it again. as it stands there's nothing to do really

HiEv

Sep 1, 2017
1) I used Twine in the beginning, but you can't pass variables back and forth between twine and JS, and update them.
This is 100% false.

It's fairly easy to pass variables back and forth between Twine and JavaScript if you're using a Twine story format which allows that, like the SugarCube story format. You can use .variableName to access SugarCube story variables from JavaScript, or .variableName to access temporary variables from JavaScript. (Those links take you straight to the documentation explaining what they do.)

You could use JavaScript variables and access them from Twine code, but if the data in them isn't static (unchanging) then you'll likely break the "back" and "forward" buttons and the "save" feature. (Generally it's recommended that you use the SugarCube for things like this.)

So having any game mechanics in Twine that are not just story and multiple options based is out.
Again, completely wrong. You can do anything with SugarCube code that you can with regular HTML/CSS/JavaScript, because SugarCube just makes doing some of those things simpler and adds in a history tracking and saving system (among many other built-in features you can use).

4. Some people are going to be rather wary of something that runs JS through the browser rather than relying on everything being built in html, especially for an html game.
4) I don't think there are games that only run on html, the JS is either included inside the html itself or linked to inside the html. This is the case for Twine games.
I don't think that John said it particularly clearly, but I think he were trying to point out that your code requires that the player be online (i.e. "runs JS through the browser"), since it tries to use jQuery from online sources. (Though, I'm rather baffled why you're trying to simultaneously use two different versions of jQuery, the current jQuery v3.5.1 and the terribly out of date jQuery v1.11.0, from two different sources in the same project.)

You should include the jQuery file with the project and just use that file (i.e. "being built in html", by which I assume he means included within the HTML file). That way it will work fine when offline and will start faster as well.

However, if you wanted to do something as simple as create a variable in a Twine story, and then in code editor either show it or not according to a boolean variable that you created in the code editor, then you would not be able to do this. Basically, you can't create JS variables and then use them in Twine. This makes the whole code editor part of Twine kinda useless(I used sugarcube 2, so I am not sure about other configs, but I believe they are even worse).
What?

First, I'm not sure why you keep referring to a "code editor" there. The editor has nothing to do with how the game functions.

Second, yeah, you can, as I explained above. Though, normally you should just use the SugarCube story variables and temporary variables instead, and you can access those just fine from JavaScript if you need to.

For example, here's some simple SugarCube code you could put into a passage which does what you said isn't possible:
Code:
<<set $storyVar = true>>
<<if $storyVar>>
    Var was true.
<</if>>
You could put the <<set>> line elsewhere in the code, it doesn't have to be right next to it like that, I just used that as an example.

Since $storyVar is accessible from JavaScript as State.variables.storyVar (and vice versa), then you've just created a boolean variable in the code which then causes some text to show or not show based on the value of that variable.

Furthermore Twine doesn't have the structure that an OOP gives you,
"OOP" (in this context) stands for " ", so your grammar doesn't quite make sense there.

Regardless, SugarCube is basically syntactical sugar on top of JavaScript, so Twine/SugarCube is just as much of an OOP structure as JavaScript is.

this means that the more the story expands, and the more complex things you want to do, the more work you will have to put in, which increases exponentially.
What?!? I mean, yeah, of course doing more complex things takes more work. That's just the nature of reality.

However, the "increases exponentially" part is obscenely false.

Twine, and specifically the Twine story format SugarCube, just simplifies doing things you could already do in HTML/CSS/JavaScript. It does not take anything away from that. Hence, any complaint you try to level at Twine/SugarCube would either equally exist in HTML/CSS/JavaScript or it's an inaccurate complaint.

In other words, it's a mistake to think that Twine in any way limits what you can do. It's simply there to make some things easier to do.

By creating an engine of my own, It is easier to fix bugs, restructure code, and add new feature.
Maybe. However, if, for example, the feature already exists in Twine/SugarCube, then no, it most definitely would not be easier to add that feature yourself in your own engine (vs not having to do anything at all, since it already exists in Twine/SugarCube). Especially considering all of the effort and testing that has already gone into making sure that the Twine/SugarCube versions of those features are compatible with a variety of different browsers and are fairly error-free.

There's something to be said for not re-inventing the wheel if you don't have to.

Can you think of any games made in Twine that use complex mechanics? Not just go from one passage to another according to player decision and variables?
If you want an example of a card game made in Twine, check out "TF Card Battle", which is made using Twine/SugarCube. I helped write some of the code it uses.

That said, it's your choice on how you want to develop your game. However, if you do want to take advantage of a tried-and-tested "wheel" that already exists, I just want you to be aware that Twine is not as limited as you seem to think it is.

Good luck with your game! :)

Last edited:
May 21, 2017
This is 100% false.

It's fairly easy to pass variables back and forth between Twine and JavaScript if you're using a Twine story format which allows that, like the SugarCube story format. You can use .variableName to access SugarCube story variables from JavaScript, or .variableName to access temporary variables from JavaScript. (Those links take you straight to the documentation explaining what they do.)

You could use JavaScript variables and access them from Twine code, but if the data in them isn't static (unchanging) then you'll likely break the "back" and "forward" buttons and the "save" feature. (Generally it's recommended that you use the SugarCube for things like this.)

Again, completely wrong. You can do anything with SugarCube code that you can with regular HTML/CSS/JavaScript, because SugarCube just makes doing some of those things simpler and adds in a history tracking and saving system (among many other built-in features you can use).

I don't think that John said it particularly clearly, but I think he were trying to point out that your code requires that the player be online (i.e. "runs JS through the browser"), since it tries to use jQuery from online sources. (Though, I'm rather baffled why you're trying to simultaneously use two different versions of jQuery, the current jQuery v3.5.1 and the terribly out of date jQuery v1.11.0, from two different sources in the same project.)

You should include the jQuery file with the project and just use that file (i.e. "being built in html", by which I assume he means included within the HTML file). That way it will work fine when offline and will start faster as well.

What?

First, I'm not sure why you keep referring to a "code editor" there. The editor has nothing to do with how the game functions.

Second, yeah, you can, as I explained above. Though, normally you should just use the SugarCube story variables and temporary variables instead, and you can access those just fine from JavaScript if you need to.

For example, here's some simple SugarCube code you could put into a passage which does what you said isn't possible:
Code:
<<set $storyVar = true>>
<<if $storyVar>>
    Var was true.
<</if>>
You could put the <<set>> line elsewhere in the code, it doesn't have to be right next to it like that, I just used that as an example.

Since $storyVar is accessible from JavaScript as State.variables.storyVar (and vice versa), then you've just created a boolean variable in the code which then causes some text to show or not show based on the value of that variable.

"OOP" (in this context) stands for " ", so your grammar doesn't quite make sense there.

Regardless, SugarCube is basically syntactical sugar on top of JavaScript, so Twine/SugarCube is just as much of an OOP structure as JavaScript is.

What?!? I mean, yeah, of course doing more complex things takes more work. That's just the nature of reality.

However, the "increases exponentially" part is obscenely false.

Twine, and specifically the Twine story format SugarCube, just simplifies doing things you could already do in HTML/CSS/JavaScript. It does not take anything away from that. Hence, any complaint you try to level at Twine/SugarCube would either equally exist in HTML/CSS/JavaScript or it's an inaccurate complaint.

In other words, it's a mistake to think that Twine in any way limits what you can do. It's simply there to make some things easier to do.

Maybe. However, if, for example, the feature already exists in Twine/SugarCube, then no, it most definitely would not be easier to add that feature yourself in your own engine (vs not having to do anything at all, since it already exists in Twine/SugarCube). Especially considering all of the effort and testing that has already gone into making sure that the Twine/SugarCube versions of those features are compatible with a variety of different browsers and are fairly error-free.

There's something to be said for not re-inventing the wheel if you don't have to.

If you want an example of a card game made in Twine, check out "TF Card Battle", which is made using Twine/SugarCube. I helped write some of the code it uses.

That said, it's your choice on how you want to develop your game. However, if you do want to take advantage of a tried-and-tested "wheel" that already exists, I just want you to be aware that Twine is not as limited as you seem to think it is.

Good luck with your game! :)
I would have actually preferred in Twine since i have a Twine Hacker plugin in my browser that fails to activate if its purely sugarcube. PM me if anyone else needs the twine hack plugin if they dont already have it.

HiEv

Sep 1, 2017
I would have actually preferred in Twine since i have a Twine Hacker plugin in my browser that fails to activate if its purely sugarcube. PM me if anyone else needs the twine hack plugin if they dont already have it.
Huh? There's no such thing as "purely SugarCube". All SugarCube games are also Twine games, though not all Twine games use SugarCube.

May 21, 2017
Huh? There's no such thing as "purely SugarCube". All SugarCube games are also Twine games, though not all Twine games use SugarCube.
I mean i can't use the twine hacker cause i get an error saying 'No sugarcube variables found'

HiEv

Sep 1, 2017
I mean i can't use the twine hacker cause i get an error saying 'No sugarcube variables found'
Yeah. You'll get that error with a Twine game using some other story format, such as Harlowe, and from non-Twine games.

Er... That said, apologies for getting so off-topic here. :censored:

Last edited:
May 21, 2017
Yeah. You'll get that error with a Twine game using some other story format, such as Harlowe, and from non-Twine games.

Er... That said, apologies for getting so off-topic here. :censored:
No issue there. I've played a few games that uses old formats because of wich the hacker fails to recognize the game as a twine game. But thats what Saveeditonlie.com is for.

Zirenaz

Feb 20, 2020
So, saved just before starting blackjack with second girl, won, told it was end of game, no pictures whatsoever. Loaded the save, and I was back at the first lady, with the money I had won from her the first time around.
Pictures just scattered all over the the place... more is NOT better.
Also, game advances without actually showing the outcome of the card-game, so you actually have to click several time before you find out if you won or lost.

This game is a lost cause!

1.00 star(s) 1 Vote