3D-Blender Blender Art - Show Us Your Blender Skill

HawkyDawky

Mar 18, 2019
Just a little question to the artists : Do you all import your model from daz to blender ?
Blender seems so difficult to learn...

0ier 3D

Aug 2, 2021
Just a little question to the artists : Do you all import your model from daz to blender ?
I do at least, but that's also because I'm not really an artist and I'm pretty bad at 3d modeling/haven't had much practice. I still have some blend files saved with my horrifying earlier creations. I usually use blender to try and create small, specific, niche things that I can't find in the daz store.

gold star 2.0.jpg

For example, these star pasties/stickers were made in completely in blender. Took a few minutes to model it after mashing together parts of different tutorials. Took another few minutes to figure out how to shrinkwrap it to the nipple area. Mostly did it because I couldn't find any sticker assets in daz or pasties in a star shape. I think it is worth it to learn blender just to be more flexible and have more options. There's a great (I think) youtube channel with basic modeling info that helped me out a few months ago:

Nov 9, 2022
Honestly? Once you get over the hump of the learning curve, you'll find that a lot of things like hair collisions and clothes that look good with big breasts are easier to do from scratch in Blender. Especially once you start learning Geometry Nodes!

DD3DD

Apr 23, 2019
Last edited:
Reactions: BobbySnaxey
Nov 9, 2022
BlenderTestPost.jpg
I'm trying to nail down a non-photoreal style. It's not quite there yet, but I can't think what it needs to push it further. Maybe makeup countour/highlights? Better eyebrows? :unsure:

BlenderTestWithoutMakeup.jpg ---> BlenderTestWithMakeup.jpg

Edit: Yes, that's better. Not perfect, but better. I've achieved a "We Have Widowmaker At Home" level, I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: HornySensei
Nov 9, 2022
Just a simple portrait I rendered lately ... :)

View attachment 2602730
I don't understand what's going on at the tips of her hair. The alpha channel looks great all the way down her face and neck, then it suddenly chokes at the last second and turns into these strips of plastic.

I'd have to see your Shader Nodes to know for sure, but you want to manually set the alpha using a Mix Shader node right at the end before Output. Just plug transparent into the top and your previous shader into the bottom, and modulate between them using your hair's Alpha textures.

More information if you need it:

(This technique should work regardless of what alpha technique your current node setup is using, though of course it will probably render a little faster if you take care to blend the diffuse colors *before* feeding it into your existing setup. Replacing the alpha data just before Output is something of a brute force solution.)

Good luck! :)

Reactions: DD3DD
Nov 9, 2022
Thanks for your reply! :) Unfortunately I don't use cards hairs with images textures, but particles hairs :

View attachment 2608461

It's not the shader that is faulty, but the interpolated children particles :

View attachment 2608456

I agree with you, it should be more "pointy" at the end, it doesn't look very good!
Ooof.

I don't know a lot about particle hair. Can you adjust the particle size/radius or the hair thickness? If so, see if maybe you can make each individual particle smaller towards the end of the strand. Maybe even do something in Geometry Nodes that you could then feed into it, if it only accepts a float value for thickness. You'd be amazed how many unsolvable problems have "we can do that in Geometry Nodes" as the solution.

Nov 9, 2022
Disclaimer : I'm not an expert, just a random internet user!

For me it's the hair (it's too shiny and too much "straight", you should add some messy hairs here and there), the skin is a bit too pinkish too. Maybe something like this for the hair ? :
View attachment 2608422

Also, most of the time in 3D a good lighting does the trick! :) You may have the best model, best textures and so on, if the lighting isn't good, the whole picture won't be good too.

On your first picture, the smooth smile, the character looking at the camera, the light in the eye, are nice little details!
Thanks for the feedback. I've tried to improve it. Please let me know if this is a step in the right direction:

HairGoodLightingBad.png

But I wonder if I'm missing the point with my current hair textures. Do you know of a way to make curved lnes procedurally using noise textures? All I've been able to make so far is random straight lines. I know how to make my own hair cards but I was hoping to do it procedurally, so I can just switch the RNG seed and it'll be new cards for a new character.

The one thing I'm kinda proud of is the fake shines. It's basically the one thing you can't do with particle hair.

Note that I did not change the skin texture between the first and second images. The only thing that has changed is the lighting. It's a very pale skin texture so the lighting has a very pronounced effect on it. (The reason the lighting keeps changing is because I'm using Blender's asset system. I was lazy and took the screenshot from the (editable) library file, rather than reloading the scene from the first image.

I'm actually a rank amateur when it comes to lighting, so I'll happily take any tips you can give me. (Do note my constraints: I'm using eevee, I'm trying not to spend any more money than I already have, and I'm on a potato.) I understand the principles of key, fill and rim lighting, I just didn't bother using it in these shots and just used the HDR and (in the room) an Area Light for the window.

Is this a mistake? Should I compose every render's lighting like I'm shooting a TV commercial? Let me know! :)

Reactions: 0ier 3D

DitaVonTease

Jul 25, 2021
Thanks for the feedback. I've tried to improve it. Please let me know if this is a step in the right direction:

View attachment 2608893

But I wonder if I'm missing the point with my current hair textures. Do you know of a way to make curved lnes procedurally using noise textures? All I've been able to make so far is random straight lines. I know how to make my own hair cards but I was hoping to do it procedurally, so I can just switch the RNG seed and it'll be new cards for a new character.

The one thing I'm kinda proud of is the fake shines. It's basically the one thing you can't do with particle hair.

Note that I did not change the skin texture between the first and second images. The only thing that has changed is the lighting. It's a very pale skin texture so the lighting has a very pronounced effect on it. (The reason the lighting keeps changing is because I'm using Blender's asset system. I was lazy and took the screenshot from the (editable) library file, rather than reloading the scene from the first image.

I'm actually a rank amateur when it comes to lighting, so I'll happily take any tips you can give me. (Do note my constraints: I'm using eevee, I'm trying not to spend any more money than I already have, and I'm on a potato.) I understand the principles of key, fill and rim lighting, I just didn't bother using it in these shots and just used the HDR and (in the room) an Area Light for the window.

Is this a mistake? Should I compose every render's lighting like I'm shooting a TV commercial? Let me know! :)

Yes, you should treat every render as needing new lighting, unless it's just a test render, which you should use a fixed 'lighting rig', to keep things the same, except the item your testing. A 3 light rig, is one 'rimlight', one 'key light' & one 'fill light'. They don't have to be big lights, you'd do just as well with 1/4 sized lights, closer to the figure/figures your lighting, you can also make the lights themselves invisible within the render, which makes things look soo much better. This all Daz Studio shows what I mean, the Girls a lit by a 3 light rig, the rest of the scene relies on the lighting provided in the props.
''Walk of Shame...''sig (Copy).png

Nov 9, 2022
Yes, you should treat every render as needing new lighting, unless it's just a test render, which you should use a fixed 'lighting rig', to keep things the same, except the item your testing. A 3 light rig, is one 'rimlight', one 'key light' & one 'fill light'. They don't have to be big lights, you'd do just as well with 1/4 sized lights, closer to the figure/figures your lighting, you can also make the lights themselves invisible within the render, which makes things look soo much better. This all Daz Studio shows what I mean, the Girls a lit by a 3 light rig, the rest of the scene relies on the lighting provided in the props.
View attachment 2608972
Wow. This is amazing advice which has already saved Future Me headaches.

I grabbed a 3 point lighting rig HDR from Poly Haven, and will be using it when I author ALL future content from now on.

LightingTest.png

The skin colors looked a bit off, at first, (not shown) so I adjusted my shader to work better with it... and immediately noticed massive improvements when I flip through other random HDRs using the Material Preview settings in the Viewport Shader menu in the 3D Viewport Editor. HDRs that used to look "too green" or "too pink" now suddenly just magically work. No matter what skybox I throw at it, suddenly I can do no wrong!

LightingComps.png

Lighting is complicated and messy and subtle, and I now realize that the seemingly clunky (especially IRL) 3-point lighting rig has persisted mostly unchanged for all these decades for a reason!

So how does this work with animation and camera movements? Do you just compose on keyframes, then let the key rim and fill lights slerp around the scene, occasionally adding new keyframes to adjust them whenever one of the characters accidentally steps outside their area of influence?

Should I parent them to the characters? To the camera? Is there some crazy way of automating it with math or scripts or geometry nodes that looks "good enough" 90% of the time?

Or should I just get used to the fact that this is just my life now, and I just need to git gud at putting three lights around my dudes every single frame from now on forever?

Last edited:

DitaVonTease

Jul 25, 2021
The theory is that if you 'parent' them to a figure, unless an animation has lots of turn arounds, they should stay with the figure. I'm not into animation, so that might be a 'suck it & see' thing...