3D-Blender Blender Art - Show Us Your Blender Skill

HornySensei

May 15, 2022
Well, this isn't a tutorial, I was making it up as I went, but IIRC the basic workflow looked something like this:
  • Duplicate the (already rigged) character mesh
  • Delete unnecessary geometry (Head, feet) from suit mesh
  • Reshape suit mesh to imply folds (less cleavage, less asscrack, no navel, no genitiles, reduce or eliminate nipple profile, depending on how ecchi of a final result you're going for.)
  • Add a new Geometry Nodes modifier to the suit mesh and displace the geometry by a very small value multiplied by the geometry Normal. (Basically, a homebrew Displacement modifier. We're doing it in GeoNodes so we can add changes before and after it later. Think of the main horizontal line in Geometry Nodes as your own personal custom Modifier Stack.)
  • Subsurf. (Again, directly in geoNodes so we can add nodes before and after it later.)
  • Some sort of procedural Texture node to make the ribbing and panels. (I was using Brick, but Voronoi is also a great choice here.) Use the Position input to get your normals. (This was counterintuitive for me, at first, since I was more accustomed to working with Shader Nodes, but apparently in Geometry nodes you can just grab the raw Position input and any posing or animation you do later Just Works. It's not using the "real" world position of the mesh. It's using the domain of its default pose or something. This is why there's no way to get Generated coordinates in GeoNodes. You can Math them from the Position coordinates, which isn't possible in Materials since they are always evaluated "after" posing.)
  • Use the Capture Attributes node to get the ribbing and panel textures, blur them in GeoNodes before passing them into the geometry Nodes Group Output, and name them in the Modifier Properties panel. Now you can use a low-res version of these textures in your Materials. (Rebuilding these procedural patterns directly in the Material Nodes would be preferable, especially for closeups or if you plan on using them for Displacement. But since there's no way to copy and paste nodes from Geometry to Materials, it's best to save this for last. It's a time-sink, and all that work will be thrown out if you change your mind later.)
  • In Materials, use a Layer Weight node feeding into a bunch of math nodes to fake some stylized reflections. Ribbing attribute can be reused as an alpha to make the ribbing non-metalic. Basic Materials polish pass.
You should be able to google most of these steps. Let me know if you get stuck or if I skipped anything.
Thanks for the explanation brother, I'll check that out the next time I need to do something similar. In the past I always did this kind of thing manually without using geometry nodes (mainly because it didn't exist back then) thank goodness things are getting easier.

HornySensei

May 15, 2022
When you spend 5 seconds Overlaying your skullcap with pure white at 50% opacity to add an abstract corallary to all the hair shines, followed by 20 minutes of making comps for peer review. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

View attachment 2615561

I hope this is closer to matching? There's really no way to make a sphere light the same way as a bunch of fake tubes on sheets, but I did my best.
Much better now :coffee:

Nov 9, 2022
Did some compositing stuff, still entirely in blender, that's frankly so quirky and bespoke, it may not be sustainable over the course of a whole project. That said, at least it looks a lot more like a 2DCG video game now.

screenshot.png
The surface (art term, not 3D term) isn't quite where I want it, but I'm running out of ideas for how to improve it. Now more than ever, I need the community's feedback. How do I boost it from "competent mobile game ad lying about there being a princess" to "mid-tier pinup collection?"

Last edited:
Reactions: 0ier 3D
Nov 9, 2022
I'm really pleased with how this pass turned out.
Untitled.png
Nothing too fancy, just some subtle refinements to the skin, makeup and lighting. Using a sun as a key light allowed me to blur the shadows. (22.5% Angle at the moment. I may go lower. We'll see.) The result is a glorious example of one of those janky-ass diagonal underboob shadows you get out of Stable Diffusion, the undisputed reigning champion of "I can't tell if this is supposed to be 2D or 3D, how did they make this?"

But, again, with better hands. :p

The hot spots on the shoulder and breasts are a little too white, which is probably one of those things I'll just need to adjust on a case-by-case basis. But that aside, this is coming along very nicely. I need to figure out a way to make the hair look "more 2D" next. If I can solve for that, I'll be unstoppable!

HornySensei

May 15, 2022
Moar bewbz, less fake skin reflections.

Okay now I really am out of ideas. How do I push it the next 20%?

View attachment 2617286
The character looks really good, I have no idea how to improve it. I don't know, maybe a scene/background around her would help or some kind of accessory like a necklace, a brooch on her hair or a piece of cloth (people usually look sexier in hot clothes).

Reactions: 0ier 3D
Nov 9, 2022
Pretty sure this hair mat is as good as it gets. A little random noise goes a long way.
Untitled.png
I can shuffle the roots around a little bit to get rid of that banding in the hair part. A bigger issue is that the entire shape of her body looks a little bit twisty. You know what I mean? The bicep of that bent arm looks vaguely distorted. The sort of mistake that a human artist would never make, but that 3D rigging would and does. The kind of thing that years of Unreal Engine games have trained our brains to ignore... until you slap a faux 2D shader on it, and the error is suddenly shown without the realtime 3D context.

Maybe it's not such a big deal, or maybe I can make my own custom morphs or poses to compensate for it. Bayonetta and those new Guilty Gear games distort their characters' skeletons in all sorts of bizzare ways for 2D artistic effect. Maybe it's time I learned how to do that. I don't see how it would apply to a static portrait shot like this, but it's worth looking into.

miamid99

Nov 4, 2019
A little WiP of my Fade from Valorant, made in Daz, rendered in Blender.
Cycles is giving me problems with Daz's hairblending (there's suppose to be some white in there), so I still need to figure that out, and put an environment together. will share if I ever finish
fade hush.png

Darkhan3D

3D Artist
Game Developer
Sep 18, 2020
This is really good lighting. I assume this was a really slow cycles render? If this was eevee, then please show us your nodes and/or lighting rig, because I think we could all learn a lot from you.
It was a cycles render, about 3 hours and It was a short render time for me. lol

If you're wondering, my lightning setup created according to the 3-point lighting method, other lights comes with the map.
Hope this helps :)

View attachment 2023-05-16 13-03-12.mp4

Nov 9, 2022
Valkyrie and Castle from Rainbow Six Siege
View attachment 2627108
It took a bit of effort for me to figure out how on earth they would get into this position while also holding a gun and also having relaxed expressions on their faces. I feel like I'm still only 3/4 of the way there.

I'm guessing they were naked and cuddling during downtime while deployed, when someone stuck their head in the tent and told them to gear up, because when the C.O. gets back, we're moving out. So he starts getting dressed, while she just starts going to town field-stripping her deagle.

"Shouldn't you get dressed first?"

"Priorities. Anyway, bet I finish before you do."

So she finishes checking and re-assembling the gun in record time.

"Finished. You dressed yet?"

He drapes his cock over her shoulder.

"That's what I thought." She starts to get up with a sly smirk on her face.

"Five minutes," a voice says from outside the tent. She turns to face the sound, a pout starting to form on her lips.

He reaches around her and puts a reassuring hand on her breast.

She returns the gesture, but goes for the juggular, purely as a matter of principle.