3D-Blender Blender Art - Show Us Your Blender Skill

miamid99

Nov 4, 2019
Sharing a WiP of my Jett from Valorant, hoping i'll get some advice (plz don't pay attention to lights and shaders, as I said, not finished)
Jett test.png

My issue is with her eyes. Character was created in Daz, and the eye texture is blue (see below). it appears absolutely fine in viewport and during renders, but somehow becomes black when done rendering (a compositing thing maybe?). Checked the shaders, but couldn't really see anything that caught my attention.
any idea? (sorry, me noob)
thx in advance
jett.png

Nov 9, 2022
Sharing a WiP of my Jett from Valorant, hoping i'll get some advice (plz don't pay attention to lights and shaders, as I said, not finished)
View attachment 2633566

My issue is with her eyes. Character was created in Daz, and the eye texture is blue (see below). it appears absolutely fine in viewport and during renders, but somehow becomes black when done rendering (a compositing thing maybe?). Checked the shaders, but couldn't really see anything that caught my attention.
any idea? (sorry, me noob)
thx in advance
View attachment 2633575
Eevee or Cycles?

Show me your nodes for all eye Materials, and describe what geometry on the model is covered by that material. (You can find this out by going into Edit mode and

Might be Ambient Occlusion, might be something else.

Last edited:

miamid99

Nov 4, 2019
Eevee or Cycles?

Show me your nodes for all eye Materials, and describe what geometry on the model is covered by that material. (You can find this out by going into Edit mode and

Might be Ambient Occlusion, might be something else.
Cycles!

Here, hope it is all readable enough, I couldn't separate the eye from the rest as it isn't it's own object, it's part of the genesis mesh, so I done it in X-ray.
pupils mat nodes.png
cornea mat nodes.png
Sclera mat nodes.png
irises mat nodes.png
My noob ass assumed that the black emission on each mat could be the problem, but sliding it down to 0 didn't fix it.
I'm aware I could simply grab another of the hundreds of blue eyes textures available, but I see this as a learning opportunity. i'm stubborn :)
thank you very much for taking the time bro.

Also, I'm not sure if this is relevant, but it must be since I haven't encountered the problem with other assets, so the eye texture comes from Addy Leigh

Nov 9, 2022
Cycles!

Here, hope it is all readable enough, I couldn't separate the eye from the rest as it isn't it's own object, it's part of the genesis mesh, so I done it in X-ray.
View attachment 2634947
View attachment 2634948
View attachment 2634949
View attachment 2634950
My noob ass assumed that the black emission on each mat could be the problem, but sliding it down to 0 didn't fix it.
I'm aware I could simply grab another of the hundreds of blue eyes textures available, but I see this as a learning opportunity. i'm stubborn :)
thank you very much for taking the time bro.

Also, I'm not sure if this is relevant, but it must be since I haven't encountered the problem with other assets, so the eye texture comes from Addy Leigh
Does changing the Render Engine from Cycles to Eevee fix the problem?

In the Header of the Shader Editor, make sure that each shader has "Use Nodes" checked.

If all else fails, add a Transparent BSDF node to the Cornea material, and route it directly into the output. Does this fix the problem?

If so, then there's probably something wrong with that Daz Ray Clip group. Select the Group and press tab and show me its nodes.

Reactions: DD3DD

miamid99

Nov 4, 2019
woaaaah, I had no idea this was a thing... I usually transfer the specific part as a principle BDSF when i need further editing, didn't know those Daz nodes where editable by pressing tab... again, big noobus here, learning on my own!

I followed your steps, Eevee didn't help, "use nodes" is ticked everywhere, but the transparent BSDF on cornea did work.
here is the group's nodes Daz ray clip group.png

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022
woaaaah, I had no idea this was a thing... I usually transfer the specific part as a principle BDSF when i need further editing, didn't know those Daz nodes where editable by pressing tab... again, big noobus here, learning on my own!
This made me smile. You're about to become very powerful.

are a way of creating reusable shader nippets in Blender. Those particular Node Groups were probably generated by the import process you used to get the Daz model into Blender. Probably this eye material is different in some way than the materials the importer's developer used to test it.

I followed your steps, Eevee didn't help, "use nodes" is ticked everywhere, but the transparent BSDF on cornea did work.
Okay then. Either the Cornea Material is opaque, or else it's casting a shadow that completely covers the pupil and iris.

here is the group's nodes View attachment 2634997
Unfortunately, debugging these Cycles shaders is beyond my current skill level. I'm an eevee user. I recommend using the Transparent BSDF to hide the cornea entirely, or else import a different model with working eyes, then switch this model's cornea to the cornea material used by the new model, then delete the new model.

• Red Heart
Reactions: DD3DD and miamid99

miamid99

Nov 4, 2019
Unfortunately, debugging these Cycles shaders is beyond my current skill level. I'm an eevee user. I recommend using the Transparent BSDF to hide the cornea entirely, or else import a working model, then switch this model's cornea to the material used by the new model, then delete the new model.
Makes sense, sounds like a good workaround. Thank you very much for taking the time

Darkhan3D

3D Artist
Game Developer
Sep 18, 2020
Your lighting really is something!
almost your entire library is in my "inspiration" folder.
I would be glad to be half as good someday, keep it up man
Thank you for kind words.
I'm really glad you like my works :)

0ier 3D

Aug 2, 2021
I'm not sure to understand your question but for the previous artwork, I use the standard brush (inflate, grab, smooth).
I see. You mentioned the "cloth filter brush". I searched it up and apparently it applies the cloth brush effect over the whole mesh. I thought you used that as well. Was wondering if it could replace cloth simulations or at least reduce the need for it.