3D-Blender Blender Art - Show Us Your Blender Skill

Apr 21, 2022
Been working on this one for a long time. I finaly finished the body rig. Now I just have to get the weight painting right. After that I need to go into the thinking box for a while to figure out how I want to do the facial expressions. Hair and outfit where just for fun. View attachment 1752236
I like the quasi-toon shader you're working on here. Any plans to throw some Layer Weight action into the mix? :D

SomeGuyWithNoImagination

❤️ Keep comfy. ❤️
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
Wow. I didn't know a linux build of Daz Studio was even availible. If you don't mind my asking, where'd you get it?
There is no Linux build, however it runs fine in wine. Just use DIM instead of Daz Central as the latter does not work.

GPU rendering used to work, but it does not work on my system at this time and I have not had the time to debug this issue. My post here covers how to get it working. Note that it is not necessary to follow any of the instructions in the thread OP to make Daz work under wine. Postgres and all other systems should function without issue. I only found manual configuration necessary to get GPU rendering. It was not necessary for anything else to work.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022
Here's a modest example I threw together of a stylized Material using Layer Weight. Hopefully someone finds it useful. You could replace the RGB Node at the top with a Texture Node if your model already uses them, or even a ( BSDF -> Shader to RGB ) combo if you want to blend the "airbrushed 2D CG art" look with some form of environment lighting.

Stylized Shader.png

Note that most of the blue nodes in this screenshot are Math Nodes. (I.E. if you try to search for Power or Subtract or whatever, you won't find a node named that. Search for Math instead, place it, then change the specific type of math from Add to Power or Subtract or whatever using the pull-down menu.)

I try to use Math Nodes whenever possible, because they are generally faster than Color Ramps or RGB Curves. It's also really easy to mess with their values manually.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022
There is no Linux build, however it runs fine in wine. Just use DIM instead of Daz Central as the latter does not work.

GPU rendering used to work, but it does not work on my system at this time and I have not had the time to debug this issue. My post here covers how to get it working. Note that it is not necessary to follow any of the instructions in the thread OP to make Daz work under wine. Postgres and all other systems should function without issue. I only found manual configuration necessary to get GPU rendering. It was not necessary for anything else to work.
Mind if I DM you about this? I want to learn more about how you got it working on Linux, but I don't want to derail the thread any more than I already have.

Apr 21, 2022
That's a cute pose! And I really like the backlighting on the hair.

Consider turning off SSS on the nails, or at least toning it down a lot. Even 0% SSS nails would look better than uncanny valley nails, because plastic nails are a real thing women buy and use IRL. Technically, keratin does absorb and diffuse light, but it doesn't look like this because it's an extremely thin sheet with a pink nail bed underneath it.

(Another option might be to add red Emission to the SSS, but that's extra work, and just like using emission for the whites of the eyes, it will look weird the closer you get to a pitch dark environment.)

Since this is a close-up of the hands, there are some tricks you could use to enhance the knuckles, too, but they're a bit involved. How comfortable are you with paint programs like Krita or PhotoDemon?

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022
I noticed the nails immediately upon posting and just gave up. I had already spent way too long fixing the hair and shirt materials to attempt to get as close to the Daz ground truth as possible.
Shhh. Ground truth is overrated. Don't chase parity with Iray. Transcend it. Dual Lobe specular is nothing. You already have the material nodes editor open. You can add as many specular passes as you want.

Blender is the Linux of Genesis 8 rendering.

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
I noticed the nails immediately upon posting and just gave up. I had already spent way too long fixing the hair and shirt materials to attempt to get as close to the Daz ground truth as possible.
For the hair you could just convert it to an hair particle system, and use the hair BDSF. Can give much better results, compared to your average DAZ hair (which always look more like hay straws then hair).

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
Working on a stylized/painted look. Getting somewhere and quite happy with the result so far. Trying to make most of it procedural for future characters. Outside of some painting for the face (which is done with masks in Substance Painter so easily adjustable for new characters), everything is procedural.

Trying to get some rim light around the hair for now, but struggling a bit with that with how materials and lightning is set-up, and the geometry of the hair itself.

Face.jpg

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021

Skin is straight Diffeo BSDF import. Mousso skins always transfer from Daz really well because they don't use that heavy blue/orange tinting for SSS. The image is heavily color graded though, so the raw render doesn't look quite as good.

This crowd scene has fifteen characters in it, and due to how Daz loads them it took over an hour to open the scene file.

In Blender, the same scene takes fifteen-twenty seconds.

I washed my hands of Daz Studio completely trying to make this, and I've never been happier.

Reactions: Bagley

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
Consider adding some deformation to fake the effects of gravity. Just add Shape Keys to an object such as the mattress, and then add a secondary shape besides the default. Make sure the new shape is selected, then morph it using Editing or Sculpt tools.

The woman's hair works the same way, though it's trickier because you have to account for the rigged pose. (I think you can configure the Armature Modifier to be fully active while in edit mode? But YMMV. I feel like the last time I tried sculpting a posed character, I ran into issues, but I don't remember the details.)
I used to sculpt indents into beds, but it's not really necessary.

Use a Shrinkwrap modifier in "Project" mode set to the Z axis, it works fine. You can also use geometry nodes like Raycast to do the same thing.

To enable an Armature in edit mode, just click the buttons in the modifier stack next to its name. There are some issues, like the pivot point will be at the base position not the posed position (which'll be fixed eventually: ). But if you get used to its quirks, like knowing where to place the mouse cursor, you still get good results.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Kass69 and Deutsxh
Apr 21, 2022
Use a Shrinkwrap modifier in "Project" mode set to the Z axis, it works fine. You can also use geometry nodes like Raycast to do the same thing.
Wow. That's genius. Why didn't I think of that? Then you could maybe add a vertex group if you want to tweak the falloff a little bit while animating it or something.

Apr 21, 2022

Skin is straight Diffeo BSDF import. Mousso skins always transfer from Daz really well because they don't use that heavy blue/orange tinting for SSS. The image is heavily color graded though, so the raw render doesn't look quite as good.

This crowd scene has fifteen characters in it, and due to how Daz loads them it took over an hour to open the scene file.

In Blender, the same scene takes fifteen-twenty seconds.

I washed my hands of Daz Studio completely trying to make this, and I've never been happier.
See, this is why I work exclusively in Eevee these days. Meanwhile the top 50 game devs on patreon are like "hurr just throw more metal at DS." I tells ya, life just ain't fair sometimes.

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
See, this is why I work exclusively in Eevee these days. Meanwhile the top 50 game devs on patreon are like "hurr just throw more metal at DS." I tells ya, life just ain't fair sometimes.
How is Eevee with Diffeomorphic? Every time I use workbench rendering, the models are so orange they look like they're slathered in fake suntan. Though I never put much effort into learning how it works, since I prefer Cycles.

Sep 2, 2020
Hello , i fiddle around with daz to blender too and i have to admit that i don't like the diffeomorphic stuff that much.

I have better results just using obj exports and ripping textures from runtime and setting the shaders up by hand.

THis is the eevee rendered view.
daz to blender by hand.png

The only fucked up thign is that the sclera and iris are overlapping for some models gen 3 and v4 at least so you may have to fiddle a lot with the settings to get rid of that again if it is visible.

Eye lashes are working one has to just invert the map.

THe diffeomorphic shader does one thing noone needs for characters and that is trying to get the dual lobe spec working which is actually for metal based stuff so not needed for characters.
The one thing thats neat tho is that it combines all maps into one shader and one doesent have to go through all shaders to change sss for example.

That could be replicated with some simple node group with values nodes!? I havent tried that yet.

Last edited: