Kavalor

Jan 29, 2021
Honestly I do not know exactly as I have not looked in the code. But in reality Tattoos influence the reactions of other people as well as make you more recognizable. If you look at witness descriptions many people have difficulties to describe people , but an obvious tattoo is something people remember and which make you recognicable. Maybe not the best thing for a spy I guess.

Reactions: AnyName'llDo

vicaddict

Sep 29, 2019
I haven't done a super deep dive on the impact of methods in the game yet, but it looks like most of the mechanism so far is flavor - the main checks are made to see whether or not she's fertile at all rather than whether she's using a specific form of birth control. However, seeing as there are wildly different durations for different methods I would not be surprised if some of the more "off-grid" sections of the story reduced the effectiveness of some methods.
I would assume that it matters, once you chose condoms or nothing at all and end up having intercourse, with or without consent. In such a case it would matter quite a bit and I wouldn't be shocked to see such scenes in the game at some point.

I have to admit that I also had to google what some of these options were, because while I am vaguely familiar with the concept, that is about it. I think this is another example of where the devs could utilize the tooltip function that already exists within the game. Then again, does it even matter?

There are only two ways that could go, either the devs are lying to themselves and every choice boils down to the same storyline with minor changes (in which case why make us choose in the first place?)
Even if that were the case, what would be so bad about it? I can see why someone would be overwhelmed by all the options, but I do love it, even though it is unclear what some of them do. Could the game give you a bit more feedback on that? Yes. I have said so myself, but I certainly don't mind, if some of those options only end up altering a description of a minor scene, rather that giving you an entirely different scene. If you want to play a character in a certain way, it is these minor details that make a difference.

CassieBare

Game Developer
Jan 25, 2020
Is there any in game effect for the different birth control methods?
Yes. As Peanut seemed to surmise (damn good accuracy there!), there will be effectiveness and duration implications of each.

After some of these good explanations here I dare to ask another possibly stupid question. How does the amount of tattoos one choses for the MC get impact on the game? I noticed that coming from a more stable household gives you less choices. BUT I don't see any impact on gameplay, this is unless I am missing it. Anyone got an idea?
There are a couple (I think literally two at the moment) instances where characters react or mention Claire's tattoos. This will have more nuanced and game-affecting implications in the full-scale spy story.

peppytheclown

Apr 1, 2020
It comes down to track record? So just have faith in us and base your opinions on what will be based on what *we* have done so far, not what *others* have done in the past.
You know what? That's fair enough. So far plenty of games have tried to do what you are attempting and none that I know of have succeeded. I'd love for someone to look back at my (admittedly slightly convoluted and not really super nice) comment in a year and to just label me a hater that didn't believe. Best of luck.

Reactions: CassieBare

Sammie

Sep 8, 2017
Yes. As Peanut seemed to surmise (damn good accuracy there!), there will be effectiveness and duration implications of each.

There are a couple (I think literally two at the moment) instances where characters react or mention Claire's tattoos. This will have more nuanced and game-affecting implications in the full-scale spy story.
I admit that Idid a couple of play throughs to see if there would be a problem getting birth control in Africa in the gap year and didn’t see anything. Or if some of the hormonal ones would cause an impact to stability or make me more irritable

Aug 25, 2020
RE: birth control
Hormones have side effects such as weight gain and raised blood pressure, but can be used to avoid periods and reduce the risk of certain cancers.
Yaz is a daily oral combo contraceptive and anti anxiety/depression med for those with more severe period symptoms. Meds must be taken daily within a consistent time window to be effective
Nexplanon is a long term hormonal implant. Most models last ~5 years. There was a ~20 year model but the creator was secretly trying to commit genocide so....
IUD's are inserted into the cervix long term. They can be hormonal or not. Non-hormonal IUDs can be combo'd with hormonal BC but this is not represented in game. They can rarely fall out, or shift and cause complications.
Nuvaring is a hormonal BC that is administered by sticking a ring containing the meds up around the cervical opening. They need to be occasionally changed, can fall out, and need refrigeration for storage.

ddaisy

Jun 5, 2019
He can be your boyfriend (or guy-friend?). The narrator sometimes calls him just "Friend" instead of Jake.

quiboune

Sep 2, 2018
How can I have my first time with father? I don't see the option :(
If you don't have an absent father (so don't pick "Just a memory" when asked about him) he should show up in the options for the first time normally. I've never had him not show up on that list.

ddaisy

Jun 5, 2019
I never got that option despite picking both "...present" and "loving and attentive" in my playthroughs. Maybe you need to sprinkle in some uhh questionable behaviour to your origin story to get that.

RexUniverse

Nov 9, 2018

So, is there a chance of actual pregnancy? And right now is not active in the game?

quiboune

Sep 2, 2018
I never got that option despite picking both "...present" and "loving and attentive" in my playthroughs. Maybe you need to sprinkle in some uhh questionable behaviour to your origin story to get that.
Actually, try the jerk dad option, maybe also a "too young" mom? I had a pure Claire run that still had that option. I forgot to mention I always pick the mean choice there.
Makes me think that it would be fun to have a gap year option that is just staying at home because an evil Jake who made Claire with a mom who was too young decides to give Claire a baby or two as well.

ddaisy

Jun 5, 2019
Yeah I didn't necessarily mean Claire has to be the one to show that questionable behaviour. Might as well be the (too) young mom or the asshole father.

CassieBare

Game Developer
Jan 25, 2020
So, is there a chance of actual pregnancy? And right now is not active in the game?
As mentioned in previous progress reports, fertility is a planned system (implementing in 0.5, based on our roadmap). Further during the off-content cycle of 0.6, I'll be going back and putting in a portion in the Prologue if Claire happens to become pregnant during that portion of the game, due to player request and feedback.

4.10 star(s) 27 Votes