VN Ren'Py Blurring the Walls [v0.5.2] [Torimiata]

4.50 star(s) 48 Votes

idkmanerally

May 2, 2023
I hope that the taxi CG is not something to base off the new ai because that looks like a downgrade. Kento looks diffrent and Ayumi feels off, her face seems weird to me and over all that scene feels very flat. Not to mention in a diffrent cg preview with Ayumi in a white bra her hair in the back feels shorter but at least her face looked better (more like previews version in the game) and not like the taxi one.
i tried to talk about this months ago. changing AI models mid development is extremely risky. we will have to wait for the release to see if it works or not...

WhiteFireDaemon

Mar 14, 2017
Maybe a side by side would help, but I'm not seeing a significant difference in their looks. The new teaser looked good and I have no doubt that even if it is a new engine, the art is going to be awesome. I am really excited at the thought of getting some animated clips though. The samples were pretty good for just being experimental testing.

Torimiata

Game Developer
Sep 24, 2023
Sad to hear that the scene didn't land for you but remember that any of the shown CGs are not the final polished version. Do you feel the same about #6 teaser? Could be something about the specific taxi shot that is throwing you off (I'm guessing it could be the nose or face length... it's a difficult angle to get right, also missing nose highlight).

Despite the use of AI I hand sketch all scenes, so if anything looks particularly wrong or flat, it is more likely I messed up somewhere or just didn't pick an interesting enough angle/perspective (but I thought that one was pretty cool with the feet :LOL:)

I know for most this probably looks like generic anime slob anyway but for those few that care, the baseline model upgrade is to give me better scene understanding (and backgrounds), so I can do more complex scenes. Either model was trained on my own art and there are a few tells if you know what to look for and to me it's pretty consistent and faithful (but I claim no ownership of the style, there's at least one more artist that I know that uses similar style).

In short, it should feel really similar to previous CGs, to the point where you wouldn't be able to tell the difference unless you are really looking for it, and if it doesn't, I screwed up - but wait for the release :coffee:

Faptimebitch

Feb 18, 2022
Sad to hear that the scene didn't land for you but remember that any of the shown CGs are not the final polished version. Do you feel the same about #6 teaser? Could be something about the specific taxi shot that is throwing you off (I'm guessing it could be the nose or face length... it's a difficult angle to get right, also missing nose highlight).

Despite the use of AI I hand sketch all scenes, so if anything looks particularly wrong or flat, it is more likely I messed up somewhere or just didn't pick an interesting enough angle/perspective (but I thought that one was pretty cool with the feet :LOL:)

I know for most this probably looks like generic anime slob anyway but for those few that care, the baseline model upgrade is to give me better scene understanding (and backgrounds), so I can do more complex scenes. Either model was trained on my own art and there are a few tells if you know what to look for and to me it's pretty consistent and faithful (but I claim no ownership of the style, there's at least one more artist that I know that uses similar style).

In short, it should feel really similar to previous CGs, to the point where you wouldn't be able to tell the difference unless you are really looking for it, and if it doesn't, I screwed up - but wait for the release :coffee:
unrelated question but are you a coffee lover

Luther9555

Sep 26, 2017
No teaser #6 looks good just the hair feels shorter in the back as if Ayumi went to hairdresser or it was a flashback. To clarify I'm talking about the right close-up.

sam111

Sep 20, 2018
expect this countdown to be on the longer side, like last one was,

that's all he says and that's yesterday post -_- ... well see you next month boys

Reactions: garmander

SideshowBobNo.2

Aug 20, 2022
I read somewhere that patreon will block AI made games.
When this is true all developers who are using AI will back out of their current project.

By the way I don't understand why a developer need so much time to to put out an update for an AI game.
The pictures are generated and not hand drawn or animated.
I don't believe in excuses like "I'm not happy with the outcome and I need another three months to polish it"
Bullshit!
If I would be the dev, I would update the game as intended.
Even if I'm unhappy with the result, with the next update I could change and fix it at a later date.
Every videogame company is doing it this way nowadays, they patch theirs games all the time.
Don't get me wrong folks, I like the game, but I'm tired of excuses.

Last edited:

Lolikanion

Sep 11, 2019
When this is true all developers who are using AI will back out of their current project.

By the way I don't understand why a developer need so much time to to put out an update for an AI game.
I don't take excuses like "I'm not happy with the outcome and I need another three months to polish it"
Bullshit!
The characters are in fact DRAWN.
Or more like the sketches for the characters and AI just fills it up.
Do you think you can get this level of consistency with just AI?
Tori is using his own art to polish his work.

EDIT: Also tf you mean "not animated"? Do you even play the game? Some scenes are in fact animated.

WhiteFireDaemon

Mar 14, 2017
I wouldn't put it past the tyrant that is Patreon which is why I'll never be a supporter through them. I don't think they've made an official stance on it yet, but likely it would be for realistic AI art or deepfakes being banned on their platform, but even so, they like to use unfair rules (like demanding to see what's in creator's personal archives for anything they don't like and ban them for it). I seriously doubt it's anything we need to worry about, but who knows.

Reactions: SideshowBobNo.2

mok135

Feb 27, 2018

I don't believe in excuses like "I'm not happy with the outcome and I need another three months to polish it"
Bullshit!
If I would be the dev, I would update the game as intended.
Even if I'm unhappy with the result, with the next update I could change and fix it at a later date.
Every videogame company is doing it this way nowadays, they patch theirs games all the time.
Don't get me wrong folks, I like the game, but I'm tired of excuses.
Soooo... You want adult gamedevs to follow the cancerous practices of mainstream gamedevs? Put out a low quality, bugged and most likely unoriginal product and maaaaaaaybe fix it later? This is literally one of the most hated things about the current game industry. You sound absolutely insane.

SideshowBobNo.2

Aug 20, 2022
EDIT: Also tf you mean "not animated"? Do you even play the game? Some scenes are in fact animated.
Sorry somehow I forgot that this game has animation, I replayed some scenes now.
But to be honest, they are just some repeated movements.
It's still an easy made game and to update it should not take so long.
Yeah I know that the devs mostly work alone and don't have much free time.
But they still don't work on games like RDR2 or Final Fantasy XVI or whatever.
You want adult gamedevs to follow the cancerous practices of mainstream gamedevs? Put out a low quality, bugged and most likely unoriginal product and maaaaaaaybe fix it later?
I don't like this approach either, but it's better to play a patched game than waiting two more years longer.
Sometimes the delay is not worth it, because the product is still unpolished.
So I gave up the hope of bug free and polished releases.
By the way do you really compare adult games with triple a Video/PC games? (triple a games can suck too, no doubt)
My mistake, I do it also. :LOL:
You sound absolutely insane.
Yes Sir, you are right.:cool:(y)

It looks like I annoyed some fans with my comment.:unsure:
I'm not a hater of this game, but I wont lie either.
I read too many excuses since I joined this site.
I just fear that the abandoned tag is incoming.

Last edited:

Jdsiis

Aug 4, 2021
I wonder how the Patreon will be affected. Tori, keep us posted on it, as your game is mostly hand drawn, with AI to fill in certain things it might be exempt from the ban?

Caninenappe

Aug 12, 2020
I'm always surprised that people criticize games or developers but stay waiting for updates and start criticizing again. If I don't like something, I change games but I don't try to disgust others.
I love this game and wish good luck to Torimata despite all the nonsense that can be read here about the fabulous work he does. If some are so good and have development ideas, make your own games so we can enjoy them, but don't criticize those who work for our fun. Just changing games, there is no shortage of offers with the hundreds of games on the site.
Torimiata, please, keep the courage and continue your work as you imagined at the beginning despite the criticisms; Many love your work.

Reactions: WhiteFireDaemon

Torimiata

Game Developer
Sep 24, 2023
Thanks to everyone who quickly offered support and pushed back on the non-sense. I'm looking forward to releasing 0.6 and hope it meets your expectations.

Regarding Patreon concerns, I sympathize with affected projects and strongly disagree with the unfair treatment many content creators face. I can't imagine depending on Patreon as sole source of income with such uncertainty.

With that said, I'm not overly worried about Patreon bans, here's why:
- The project strictly adheres to Patreon's terms and conditions, including Discord - thanks to the amazing proactive moderation team helping out.
- Work is clearly fictional, drawn-style (no one will confuse it for photographic material), and, due to the nature of the story, it avoids anything forbidden.
- At this stage, 0.6 will be completed regardless, even if something were to happen with Patreon.
- At the end of the day, I can't control Patreon's policies or the regulations they face. I'm hoping they'll find a balance between compliance and supporting creators. No point in worrying too much about something I control so little though.

4.50 star(s) 48 Votes