• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.
2.90 star(s) 20 Votes

Deleted member 997153

I am a meat popsicle
Donor
Game Developer
Nov 7, 2018
For those of you complaining about bugs, I don't believe you used the update button found in your room. The update button should work on your old saves as long as you use a save from Sunday or earlier. I will try make this more obvious in future releases.
In fact, I did use the update button. I was able to progress the stories for "Problem Child" and "Stressed Out" before waking up in the bedroom on Monday Early Morning. Attempted to use the skip button and promptly crashed with the "school_placeholder" error that I and others have posted.

Reactions: Cernunnos.

Cernunnos.

May 27, 2017
I literally updated and started on available quests only to have the game tell me to save there because anywhere else won't function in the next update.
I'm out until the save system makes sense. Having it tied to specific progression to function makes it not worth the trouble.

The Daydreamer

Donor
May 13, 2018
In fact, I did use the update button. I was able to progress the stories for "Problem Child" and "Stressed Out" before waking up in the bedroom on Monday Early Morning. Attempted to use the skip button and promptly crashed with the "school_placeholder" error that I and others have posted.
I had the same problem but then everything worked out just fine after loading my save where the dev is basically saying "save right now or you're fucked!" :p

If this is any help, I tried to explain it in this post : https://f95zone.to/threads/bonds-of-love-v0-4-zelathorn-games.51752/page-5#post-4345024

And you can also find an attached file with the save I used to do the update (6-5-LT1.save). So you can load this save and then go to your bedroom to do the update and you should be golden (just a few events to replay from 0.3 but that way, it allows you to choose the nice or dominant path with the mom during the massage sessions).

Or you can use the attached save file with the update already done (11-1-LT1.save) and you should be able to play right away (unless it's mandatory to do the update from your own game but that would be unexpected :unsure:).

I literally updated and started on available quests only to have the game tell me to save there because anywhere else won't function in the next update.
I'm out until the save system makes sense. Having it tied to specific progression to function makes it not worth the trouble
A more user-friendly save system would be most welcomed but it's still worth the trouble I think ^^ So feel free to use the attached save file if you're still interested in playing the last update.

Edit : if you use a save file, please rename the file and remove the prefix added by F95 during the upload ("872131_" and "872163_" respectively). One save should be in the 5th slot page 6 while the other should be in the first slot page 11 after putting them in your save folder.

Last edited:

Deleted member 997153

I am a meat popsicle
Donor
Game Developer
Nov 7, 2018
I had the same problem but then everything worked out just fine after loading my save where the dev is basically saying "save right now or you're fucked!" :p

If this is any help, I tried to explain it in this post : https://f95zone.to/threads/bonds-of-love-v0-4-zelathorn-games.51752/page-5#post-4345024

And you can also find an attached file with the save I used to do the update (6-5-LT1.save). So you can load this save and then go to your bedroom to do the update and you should be golden (just a few events to replay from 0.3 but that way, it allows you to choose the nice or dominant path with the mom during the massage sessions).

Or you can use the attached save file with the update already done (11-1-LT1.save) and you should be able to play right away (unless it's mandatory to do the update from your own game but that would be unexpected :unsure:).

A more user-friendly save system would be most welcomed but it's still worth the trouble I think ^^ So feel free to use the attached save file if you're still interested in playing the last update.

Edit : if you use a save file, please rename the file and remove the prefix added by F95 during the upload ("872131_" and "872163_" respectively). One save should be in the 5th slot page 6 while the other should be in the first slot page 11 after putting them in your save folder.
Appreciate the help, but I think I'm just gonna pass on this game. This doesn't need to be a sandbox game and the convoluted way it's being implemented is creating a lot of unnecessary problems. I would bet a code refresh is going to be inevitable so I'll wait for that.

The Daydreamer

Donor
May 13, 2018
Appreciate the help, but I think I'm just gonna pass on this game
Thank God you were more tenacious facing Mangalores or the world would be doomed! :p

This doesn't need to be a sandbox game
It would prevent some headaches with Renpy on the dev side but it wouldn't be easy to turn this game into a pure VN since we iterate on a series of various events. It would probably need a lot of new transitional scenes in order to make all this stick together. What's more, without a real story and some kind of endgoal to back all this up, it would feel a bit weird.

Power Vacuum has shown that this kind of format can work well. Anyway I have faith the dev will find the right formula so that more players can enjoy his handiwork be it sandbox or something else! ^^

Deleted member 997153

I am a meat popsicle
Donor
Game Developer
Nov 7, 2018
Thank God you were more tenacious facing Mangalores or the world would be doomed! :p

It would prevent some headaches with Renpy on the dev side but it wouldn't be easy to turn this game into a pure VN since we iterate on a series of various events. It would probably need a lot of new transitional scenes in order to make all this stick together. What's more, without a real story and some kind of endgoal to back all this up, it would feel a bit weird.

Power Vacuum has shown that this kind of format can work well. Anyway I have faith the dev will find the right formula so that more players can enjoy his handiwork be it sandbox or something else! ^^
I think this was coded by a Mangalore! ;)

I took a look at the code and really had a hard time of making sense of the event system. Events seem to be coded to a specific release for some reason, but I didn't dive into it too deeply. There is a lot of setting and deleting (!) of variable values. It seemed very unnecessary to my eyes. Considering the track record of bugs in this game, the need to "update" the events in a new version of the game, and that saves are now required at a specific point in an event for the next version to work, this leads me to believe that the game will collapse under the weight a shaky framework. Maybe I'm wrong. We'll see.

I agree with you that sandbox could work, but it doesn't seem to be needed since no events overlap so far. Add in a few lines of transitional text between scenes, as you pointed out, and it would work better as a VN narrative, in my opinion. Personally, I'd prefer that. The dialogue is pretty good, but this sandbox structure just seems to be a pain in the neck presently.

zelathorn

Game Developer
May 7, 2020
I found a bug even though I started a completely new game. If I don't start the Helpful Lad and Problem Child quests before school starts and I interact with the aunt in the school, I won't be able to visit the aunt's house at all, and Helpful Lad will be shown as completed. I doubt that this is on purpose, if it is, that's a bad design choice.

Another thing I wanted to mention to you. End of the storyline screens and "load before this day" doesn't really working well together in a free roam game, since it is impossible to finish every side quest already before we reach the end of the main story, and later on, this will just cause even bigger problems, with more and more quests in the game. Best solution would be if you could choose to start that last main storyline scene or not, to delay it if it's necessary so you can wrap up anything that was left out.
Helpful Lad is supposed to end since the spring cleaning was supposed to be done during the holidays when Clara has time, but I didn't consider how problem child was tied to it. I'll change that in the next update. I'll also make helpful lad available for more hours in a day so you should always have a chance to do it.

I realise the save system is a bit annoying right now, but that's because this is in development. The reason it's tied to progression is because I want the game to reflect certain events and choices. For example, if the main gets too far ahead of the other quests, I can't reference certain things from the other quests since they wouldn't have occurred yet to be used in main. The opposite is also true. If the other quests get too far ahead of the main, I can't reference anything from the main since it would be referenced too early.

zelathorn

Game Developer
May 7, 2020
I discovered that no matter what room I went to after waking my sister, the game crashed. see attached.
If you upload your saves I can take a look at it.

zelathorn

Game Developer
May 7, 2020
I think this was coded by a Mangalore! ;)

I took a look at the code and really had a hard time of making sense of the event system. Events seem to be coded to a specific release for some reason, but I didn't dive into it too deeply. There is a lot of setting and deleting (!) of variable values. It seemed very unnecessary to my eyes. Considering the track record of bugs in this game, the need to "update" the events in a new version of the game, and that saves are now required at a specific point in an event for the next version to work, this leads me to believe that the game will collapse under the weight a shaky framework. Maybe I'm wrong. We'll see.

I agree with you that sandbox could work, but it doesn't seem to be needed since no events overlap so far. Add in a few lines of transitional text between scenes, as you pointed out, and it would work better as a VN narrative, in my opinion. Personally, I'd prefer that. The dialogue is pretty good, but this sandbox structure just seems to be a pain in the neck presently.
Lol apologies for my mangalore coding, I'm just a compsci uni student, not a professional game developer. I will try and have the next update to be also playable in a VN format, though I probably won't have all the transitional dialogue for the older releases done just yet.

Deleted member 997153

I am a meat popsicle
Donor
Game Developer
Nov 7, 2018
Lol apologies for my mangalore coding, I'm just a compsci uni student, not a professional game developer. I will try and have the next update to be also playable in a VN format, though I probably won't have all the transitional dialogue for the older releases done just yet.
Nah, don't do that. Focus on one or the other. Otherwise, both will suffer. I'd suggest taking a look at how other games have implemented sandbox structures and how they code their event progressions, if you haven't already. You might get some ideas or tips for streamlining your code.

Daydreamer mentioned Power Vacuum. That would be a good one to unren and examine since the dev also prevents certain events from getting ahead of other stories.

Last edited:
Reactions: zelathorn

The Daydreamer

Donor
May 13, 2018
Nah, don't do that. Focus on one or the other. Otherwise, both will suffer.
I agree... Juggling with two versions of the same game sounds like a nightmare! o_O Unless you really love the Renpy side of your game! :p

But don't mind us, at the end of the day you should do what feels right for you so you can keep motivated! ;) Either way I'll be happy as long as the MC keeps acting like a charming clown (I like having a MC with a personality instead of a monolithic character... Some might thing it's easier to put yourself in MC's shoes when he's a blank page but I could not disagree more! ^^).

Daydreamer mentioned Power Vacuum. That would be a good one to unren and examine
Plus if you are feeling down, you can just start playing and this game will put a big smile on your face :D

Lonewolf007

Jul 15, 2018
I hope that we aren't forced to share the lady's with other dudes just to get the lady. If nothing else the dev could make alternate paths were we aren't forced to share like mission named three's a crowd . I hope no N.T.R. or sharing with other guy's in the game though.

The Daydreamer

Donor
May 13, 2018
I hope that we aren't forced to share the lady's with other dudes just to get the lady. If nothing else the dev could make alternate paths were we aren't forced to share like mission named three's a crowd . I hope no N.T.R. or sharing with other guy's in the game though.
Rest assured, the dev has already stated that those specific kinks won't be forced onto the player.

Here is a quote from the dev:
For those of you worried about being pushed into certain things, I promise you will not be forced into ntr or threesomes or anything like that. You will have the choice.

@zelathorn: just a thought but you could use an avatar (maybe Kathy without makeup, she's gorgeous :love:) cause right now, your badge is empty if we support you (so can't really display it to "advertise" your game ^^).

suprbbsnipo

May 17, 2017
After talking to Tahlia about morning wood, going to the upstairs lounge int he Late Afternoon, I am getting this bug:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Edit: Actually it happens any time I go to a location where Tahlia is present after completing that objective.

2.90 star(s) 20 Votes