Ren'Py Brothel King [v0.2] [Goldo]

4.60 star(s) 44 Votes

DougTheC

Oct 15, 2018
game version 0.2 with bugfix installed and basic girlpack. i get an errors everwhere and cant start the game.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

this is at the start dk what to do
doesnt work a new error at selecting your building
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
This is an occasional, transitory error, often seen after using "ignore" on a previous error notice.

If trying to start the game again still gives this error, try copying this file into the "game" folder and starting the game again. Right-click and save link as BKstart.rpy

View attachment BKstart.rpy

One question: was your original error from a first install of the game, or had you installed the ver 0.2 game previously and were doing an update? The persistent data is handled differently in those cases.

Last edited:

THEFAPPERS

Apr 28, 2019
This is an occasional, transitory error, often seen after using "ignore" on a previous error notice.

If trying to start the game again still gives this error, try copying this file into the "game" folder and starting the game again. Right-click and save link as BKstart.rpy

View attachment 1040111

One question: was your original error from a first install of the game, or had you installed the ver 0.2 game previously and were doing an update? The persistent data is handled differently in those cases.
ok..... i dk what to say i didnt use your BKstart.rpy and started the game again just to look at it again. no error message at the beginning so i checked the girlpacks and everthing was working properly. then i started a new game and it works. Yeah so i dk why yesterday nothing worked and now it magicly works :). But thx very much for the help, something might helped at the steps before i dk weird o_O.

godders3000

Aug 19, 2016
So, I've been trying to have unique girls only but I can't figure out a way to do it.

I modified the _BK.ini file and included the following to each file with no luck:

Code:
unique = True
I have also created a clonable character to freely duplicate and I still get clones of everyone. I have tried creating 10 clonable girls and still couldn't get the unique girls to be unique.

I have tried this with both 0.15b (with the patch) and 0.2 (with the latest patch)

Is there a way to get unique girls without having 200 girls in the game? I mean, theoretically, I could create 200 folders of my "clonable" girl with random names to keep the unique girls from being cloned... but I don't want to go through the hassle.

Any ideas?

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
So, I've been trying to have unique girls only but I can't figure out a way to do it.

I modified the _BK.ini...
Did you also put in the header '[cloning options]'? I suspect the game may not register the uniqueness parameter without it.

I just tested with 0.2, and had none of the issues you had. Three girls, two unique and one non-unique, got me the first two once each, and a clone legion of the third.

That having been said, the game is really not meant to be played with a low number of girl packs. I think something like ~60 is the minimum where you won't be seeing several copies of the same girl too often, and you probably want somewhere over 100 for good baseline variety.

Reactions: godders3000

godders3000

Aug 19, 2016
Did you also put in the header '[cloning options]'? I suspect the game may not register the uniqueness parameter without it.

I just tested with 0.2, and had none of the issues you had. Three girls, two unique and one non-unique, got me the first two once each, and a clone legion of the third.

That having been said, the game is really not meant to be played with a low number of girl packs. I think something like ~60 is the minimum where you won't be seeing several copies of the same girl too often, and you probably want somewhere over 100 for good baseline variety.
Yikes, that was obvious! Thank you for the help.

A lot of the packs I downloaded have a typo in the header. It's [cloning option] instead of options. That fixed it.

I have 63 unique so far, and I'll probably end up with around 90 when I download the rest. I just wanted to do some testing before I continue with the stats editing. I'll make a pack with a random assortment of photos as a generic character and have her populate.

Last edited:

Yafa

Aug 24, 2018
I'm curious, because I haven't seen to much on it, but how exactly is trust gained and lost? I'm about 3 months into chapter 2, I have 6 girls, they're all rank B now. I owned 5 of them at the end of chapter 1, and recruited the 6th one as soon as I started chapter 2. Four of them were at "starting to ease up around me," one was "alittle afraid" and the I thought the one I recruited was at "Guarded" or "Nervous around me." Now I have 4 that are "Guarded" and 2 are "Nervous around me."

Most of them like me alot, and moods are all at ecstatic(or generally positive on work days), security is at 17(threat low), Lydie is the trainer(and has been since I started chapter 2) maintenance is at 17(3 dirt), they get weekends off, and I have the first row and ahalf of furniture done. I've also used collars on acouple of girls since my main focus has been to train constitution and obedience(3 of my slaves were max lvl C rank on skills, 2 others were nearly max at the end of chapter 1). As I've transitioned into training for sex acts I had noticed that both love and trust had started to slip, or generally seems to be on the decline. Training sex has brought their love back up, and I've invested the last 2 weekends into rewarding them, and talking to them which has resulted in 2 of them no longer being afraid of me.

What I'm wondering is if having Lydie as a trainer adversely affecting their affections towards the MC, whether talking to them actually boosts trust(I'm only seeing love +, and sometimes charm+(no idea what charm is suppose to do)I don't see any mood+ anymore, but I guess if they're maxxed out that would make sense) whether the collars are affecting trust, and what my recourse might be. i.e. Do I just keep talking to them/rewarding them? Do love and trust just naturally degrade over time? Should I be breaking up my constitution and obedience training with sex training(since neither constitution or obedience training boosts love or trust)? And what exactly does +charm do?

Like I felt that I had a pretty good grasp on what the game mechanics were, but I'm not sure if the solid 10 weeks(I think) of constitution and obedience training across 6 girls is whats ruining the love/trust, or if there's other factors involved. In chapter 1 I just had to focus on leveling 1 girl at a time, and I'd spend ap doing sex training with the other slaves to lvl my MC up, so if there was a sort of love/trust maintenance fee, I don't think I would have noticed. Anyways, sorry for the lengthy post, any feedback would be appreciated.

__neronero

Jan 23, 2021
I don't know all the exact mechanics off the top of my head, but generally love and fear are key in two different playstyles.
Girls can do as you ask because they like you (high love & lower fear), or they can be forced to do things because they wouldn't dare to refuse you (high fear) - high fear is the opposite of trust! So I wouldn't worry too much abour raising trust either way.

If you are a "good" brothelmaster, then the love route is easy, but raising their fear is more difficult - so if they refuse then it's sometimes better to give up. If you are "evil" then raising fear is much easier and it's more beneficial to force them when they refuse at first.

A girl's personality also plays a big part. Masochists always confuse players because they enjoy being mistreated. Sub girls get fearful much easier compared to dom girls.

You've clearly followed the "love" route, so trust is not too important (as far as I know). But if you want your girls to trust you more for the heck of it, the main way is to treat them nicely, always give up when they refuse an order, talk to them about their origins/tastes/etc lots of times until they divulge their backstories.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
I'm curious, because I haven't seen to much on it, but how exactly is trust gained and lost?
Using a rather complex algorithm, where the MC's stats, the girl's personality type, preferences, dominant emotion, interaction types (begging, forcing, rapes, repeat rewards, etc) and so on play a major role. Unless you go code diving, this is about the most precise answer you'll get.

As I've transitioned into training for sex acts I had noticed that both love and trust had started to slip

Do love and trust just naturally degrade over time?
Love and fear/trust slowly revert to 0. Forcing girls into sex acts they're hesitant or reluctant to try also reduces both, but I guess you knew that.

What I'm wondering is if having Lydie as a trainer adversely affecting their affections towards the MC
whether the collars are affecting trust
No. Effects are usually up-front, and there's no 'secret' code involving Lydie and trust.

whether talking to them actually boosts trust
If you mean the 'chat' interactions, 'encourage' should mostly do it, although materialistic personalities are not very susceptible to it.

(I'm only seeing love +, and sometimes charm+(no idea what charm is suppose to do)
Love and fear/trust can also get maxed, and quite fast if the girl is of low rank. Charm is the 'waitress and service' stat. Although upping charm only happens with very select interactions ('other girls' and service training). Plus certain choices during bedroom visits.

And what exactly does +charm do?
Influences waitress results (plus dancer, service and geisha a tiny bit) in the 'skill bonus' category. Attracts customers who like 'charm'-ing girls while whoring.

Do I just keep talking to them/rewarding them?
Yes. Although you might be maxed, repeated rewards are inefficient, and certain personalities don't respond much to certain types of rewards.

Should I be breaking up my constitution and obedience training with sex training(since neither constitution or obedience training boosts love or trust)?
Up to you. Personally, I prefer to focus on one stat, but choosing the right one is your job as the master pimp. :D

solid 10 weeks(I think) of constitution and obedience training across 6 girls is whats ruining the love/trust
Maybe the decay, then. Although you should have only lost ~10-15 points over the ten weeks, unless the girls had some sort of effect happening to them.

If you are a "good" brothelmaster, then the love route is easy, but raising their fear is more difficult - so if they refuse then it's sometimes better to give up.
If all else fails, there are also love/fear potions.

You've clearly followed the "love" route, so trust is not too important (as far as I know).
I think the main effects of trust are some extra mood and higher chances to act up (refuse to work and so on).

In brief, the game is complex enough that if you want to know exactly why a given girl is behaving the way she does, I'd need a save and a precise statement of the problem. And it might always turn out ot be a bug or unintended emergent behaviour as well.

Reactions: __neronero

Yafa

Aug 24, 2018
Thanks for the quick replies guys, I did notice afew things since my last post, and the likely reasons behind them. Charm was throwing me off because I wasn't used to receiving it from sex acts. Usually I gained it from waitressing, and from leveling 1 girl at a time, and since constitution and obedience is generally first for me charm was usually capped by the time I got to sex acts that could boost it. It was just weird for me to see the +charm from sex acts I guess.

The trust thing isn't a problem per se, it's more about how much of a problem it could be, and how I plan to approach it. Since it doesn't seem to be hugely impactful to gameplay, I probably won't worry about it so much, and just focus on leveling their skills for now.

I know it's a slow mechanic, but it's been 3 more weeks in game and the gains are pretty minimal for most of them. Two have actually reverted to being fearful, but I think that's likely from forcing them through disgusting acts to find out what it is about that, that they actually disliked. I think that the slow gains are likely from compounding problems, and mixed priorities. Each chat option "How do you feel about being a slave" or "Ask about her well being" with the exception of asking their tastes or orgins, reduces fear by 1(max 3 per day). Plus the -1 from training sex acts they're comfortable with, plus the -2, -3 from a weekly "encourage" and I could probably get about -30 fear a week, per girl. I'd need 4 ap a day per girl, or 24 ap a day total right now(6 girls) and I only have 8. So the limiting factor here is mostly my level right now... And it would make more sense to continue to focus on training than trust at this point, as better trained whores gain prestige faster(presumably) than trusting ones.. Sorry for the rambling thoughts, just working out loud what likely needs to happen in what order.

Although I am open to suggestions for how to manage them whoring, even with 160-180 energy at B rank, they can go through 80 or so energy a full shift, and 50-70 for half shifts. Thanks again for the information so far, it's been pretty helpful.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
The trust thing isn't a problem per se, it's more about how much of a problem it could be, and how I plan to approach it.
I think in vanilla BK trust is probably more counterproductive than useful, and the only reason people go for it is to play as a 'good guy'. Although given the exponential nature of mood modifiers to obedience checks, this counterproductivity will either be a huge problem (for seriously mismanaged girls) or practically not exist at all.

I'd need 4 ap a day per girl, or 24 ap a day total right now(6 girls) and I only have 8. So the limiting factor here is mostly my level right now...
Master bedroom for some more free AP? JP scrolls, since levels give some extra stats you don't have to train then.

And it would make more sense to continue to focus on training than trust at this point, as better trained whores gain prestige faster(presumably) than trusting ones..
Yeah, trust is really a tertiary stat at best. As far as I recall, all it really does in the end is change how much upkeep you pay for your girls.

even with 160-180 energy at B rank, they can go through 80 or so energy a full shift, and 50-70 for half shifts.
Bisexual is more energy-efficient, and there's a perk for half-rest, too. The autorest scanner also helps, I guess, although the vanilla version only works at the beginning of the night shift.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Kite80 and others...

Just dropping in out of the blue to say hi!

I haven't touched BK since just before 0.15 dropped, but wanted to see how things were going. The 0.2 rework does sound quite exciting!

Good to know this game is still plugging along! I may take 0.2 for a test spin at some point when I'm not doing a bajillion other things. Looking back at my older posts, I did put a lot of effort into modding this game for a bit two years back, and they are very fond memories, even if they did delay another one of my projects for a bit...

Goldo and the BK crew did end up running with a few of my ideas of course, so I feel that it was time well spent as the goal was to improve the gameplay experience.

I doubt that I'll get back into any serious modding in the future though. I'm enjoying doing art and my silly crossover comic a lot more. Besides, my work is done here - the incorporated ideas that I and others suggested helped improve the gameplay experience, can't ask for more than that!

Unlike a number of other games out there, BK is a volunteer effort, something that seems to becoming more rare in this day and age. Everyone's effort in keeping this game alive are very much appreciated! I've only tried a couple of other brothel sims, but this one is by far my favorite! I took Breeding Farm for a test spin (not a brothel sim, but worth a mention). I miss the fishing game in it's abandoned predecessor, but it's fun. Not as engaging as Brothel King of course...

In short, I'm personally glad to see that this game, and work on the associated girl packs, is still going strong!

Again, mainly just saying hi!
Carry on!
;)

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
OhWee hi bud, glad to see you around! Good luck with your works and don't hesitate to share a link or two of your best pieces here, you did a great job for UI in your mod and 0.2 got a lot from it, thank you again ;)

Leortha

Jun 25, 2019
On the BK forum Goldo has stated that the next patch for 0.2 will likely be particularly unstable, because of some of the changes he's making. He hopes to release it before the end of the week, and has suggested that anyone who is actually playing on 0.2 back up their current copy of the game before moving to the upcoming patch so that they have a fallback if the upcoming patch has game-breaking bugs.

eddiemumu

Apr 17, 2020
Anybody can tell me how to "meet_riche",I'm already meet_gurigura"meet_ramias")meet_katryn. And I looked the story_events.rpy code,it shows "# riche "Well... You know I'm nobility, so whether I like it or not, I have to pay my respects to my extended family in town... It's going to take some time.""

Yafa

Aug 24, 2018
I took Breeding Farm for a test spin (not a brothel sim, but worth a mention). I miss the fishing game in it's abandoned predecessor, but it's fun. Not as engaging as Brothel King of course...
Didn't the fishing game have a chance to spawn a mermaid frenzy or something? I remember ya could get something from it, but I don't recall what... Also, how long as BK been around?

eddiemumu

Apr 17, 2020
What chapter are you in? The area she is in is not accessible until chapter 4, I believe.
already know why i cannot meet riche , in file BKstart.rpy,The translator write one blank in the code which made it couldnot work.when i make a new file,i can see riche,but in the old file ,can not still.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Didn't the fishing game have a chance to spawn a mermaid frenzy or something? I remember ya could get something from it, but I don't recall what... Also, how long as BK been around?
There was a mermaid frenzy in the game, it's been a long time though so I don't remember the details. Fishing was just a way to catch fish to sell on the market or cash to pay for the farm, breeding stock, etc... I found it very relaxing!

As for how long BK has been around, that is a question for...

Ohhhh Kite80 , ya got your ears on?
:whistle:

4.60 star(s) 44 Votes