Ren'Py Brothel King [v0.2] [Goldo]

4.60 star(s) 44 Votes

GH20

Feb 21, 2020
Don't mind me, i'm just replying to turn on notifications for this thread. (Also i leave a review)

Leortha

Jun 25, 2019
Portraits and profiles are different files, since Ren'Py does not have an advanced AI zoom feature. And most people don't crop portraits based on profiles, because it's a lot of work.
Cropping is the one big type of editing that I actually do. I know there are other pack makers who talk about editing out watermarks and sigs and such, but to me those are way too much work. Cropping is easy. As for Portraits, if I don't have 5-10 naked and another 5-10 non-naked for each pack, I always copypasta and then crop down images from the pack to make those.

Wait, wait. Different characters? Can you provide an example screenshot? The whole point of girl packs is that it's the same character, but different pictures of her.
There exist a handful of packs based around a race instead of around a character. Someone did a blue slime-girl pack a good while back, and I know that a couple of WOW races have had packs made. And my recently released Pikachu-girl pack would fit in there. And I keep thinking of doing an ES Argonian pack some day. (Katia from Prequel satisfied my urge to do a Kahjit pack). But there are very few like this. Single digits worth. And I don't think that's what is being referred to here.

Kulman

Engaged Member
Sep 28, 2017
Wait, wait. Different characters? Can you provide an example screenshot? The whole point of girl packs is that it's the same character, but different pictures of her. The only times this is not the case is if the pack maker fucked up, or you have default pictures enabled, which are generally anonymised, even if hardcore fans can still occasionally recognise a few of the pictures.
Sure. This is the same character, I only pressed end day and this is the way their picture changed.
1616010414076.png example 1.PNG

I followed the instructions in the installation as stated in OP to the letter, then started the game.

EDIT: Okay, my dumbass just put the whole folder with the girl pack into the girls folder, so the game took it as every picture is the same girl, so I guess it just kept pulling from the whole pool.

• Haha
Reactions: ForgottenMan1

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
This definitely looks like a bug. What exactly is your game version and folder structure within 'game'?

Edit: Okay, yeah, that would do it, too.

Leortha

Jun 25, 2019
EDIT: Okay, my dumbass just put the whole folder with the girl pack into the girls folder, so the game took it as every picture is the same girl, so I guess it just kept pulling from the whole pool.
With 0.2 there are added ways to do sub-folders in the girl pack area. You have to name them in a particular way to have the game look at them as organization and not as individual packs. With 0.15b you need to put every separate girl pack right at the top level directly under the "girls" folder.

My 0.2 Girls folder top level: Folders that start with a pound sign are organizational.

Capture.PNG

Reactions: Reij

bc123

Sep 21, 2018
Hi, I just found this game, so I have a few questions. When will V0.2 come out to be downloaded? What is the patch for and how do I install the patch in the game. Do I need to download the basic girl pack for the game to work and if so, where do I put it? I'm fairly bad with computers so please excuse my ignorance.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
When will V0.2 come out to be downloaded?
0.2 has been available to download as a public beta for nearly over 11 months now. When it will actually get finished, nobody knows. :cautious:

What is the patch for and how do I install the patch in the game.
Patches are for fixing bugs and sometimes for adding smaller features. As to installation, just overwrite your 'game' folder with the one from the patch. Note that the 0.15b patch is mandatory. As is the latest beta patch if you opt for 0.2.

Do I need to download the basic girl pack for the game to work and if so, where do I put it?
Yes and no. It'll give you a barebones set of characters, but if you want actual well-made image packs, you need to take a look at the 1000+ pack spreadsheet. Playing without packs... I think it might even not be possible, but even if it technically is, you won't get anywhere in the game.

Girl packs go in 'game/girls'. Look at Leortha's post and the discussion that caused it just above.

Last edited:

bc123

Sep 21, 2018
0.2 has been available to download as a public beta for nearly over 11 months now. When it will actually get finished, nobody knows. :cautious:

Patches are for fixing bugs and sometimes for adding smaller features. As to installation, just overwrite your 'game' folder with the one from the patch. Note that the 0.15b patch is mandatory. As is the latest beta patch if you opt for 0.2.

Yes and no. It'll give you a barebones set of characters, but if you want actual well-made image packs, you need to take a look at the 1000+ pack spreadsheet. Playing without packs... I think it might even not be possible, but even if it technically is, you won't get anywhere in the game.

Girl packs go in 'game/girls'. Look at Leortha's post and the discussion that caused it just above.
Thank you so much for your answers!

Reactions: ForgottenMan1

Wiste

May 26, 2017
That strike-through on "nearly" made me laugh. I've tried this lately and it has potential, but the updates are coming so slowly that I'm not sure about keep playing it. Not complaining, just telling it's sad to see where is it going...

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
Keep in mind that BK is a one man project, there's no team of writers, graphic artists and coders; on the other hand, there hasn't been any pause on working, the game is constantly developing and evolving - you can see how different is 0.2 version from the past in many aspects. BK is neither a project aimed to attract public like many others, nor an ambitious masterpiece for H gamers, BK is the fruit of a passion created for anyone who wants to enjoy it. Personally I believe it won't end like many games we see around the forum with "abandoned" tag next to the title ;-)

Reactions: Reij

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
the updates are coming so slowly
Huh? Last patch was less than five days ago, and the one before that about six days earlier. If this is slow for you, you've got some really unrealistic expectations.

What you can complain about is that 0.2 has been in beta for nearly :p a year, with no end in sight. But this is the nature of such hobby projects. I'd say most Patreon devs give you less than that, and they get paid to continue working.

I'm not sure about keep playing it.
Your choice. The game is basically feature-complete and the major thing it lacks is the planned storyline for all the chapters. Goldo is going to keep adding stuff, of course, but this is not an eternally half-baked project, like so many others. If someone pushed a magical 'complete BK' button tomorrow, I doubt the result would be so radically different from what it is right now.

sad to see where is it going...
It's not 'going' anywhere it wasn't before. IMO, the pace of development has been roughly the same throughout the project, except for the half-year pause after 0.15b got its last update (Nov '19). Some of that development has been more visible to players, perhaps. But that's always the case when you go from creating a game to polishing and expanding one.

Last edited:

Wiste

May 26, 2017
Hey guys, slow down :oops:... as i told, I wasn't complaining and didn't want to offend anyone, I just told what it seemed to me... when I talk about the game going slowly updated, i was talking about it is still going through v 0.2, and i saw this post, where you can see he started talking about that version nearly 3 years ago:
1616439848958.png

I didn't know that was a 1 man project, if thats the case, i can just say "bravo" to him. I thought it was more like hhs+, where i think there were some people helping with the changes and bug fixes, and I didn't download the V0.2 because i read it was more for veteran players, as you would find many bugs in there(read it in other post in that same forum), so I didn't know about all the updates you are talking about Jman9

Personally, i hope it doesn't end with an "abandoned" tag as Kite80 says it probably wont. I've only played the "rightful" part of the story and found it quite entertaining.

Leortha

Jun 25, 2019
There are other people who contribute to the project overall, but at the core it is indeed mostly Goldo doing it.

A number of people on the BK home board offer code snippets and such to fix things or add features. If these fit in with Goldo's plans for the game, he often accepts them and brings them into the game proper.

There have even been entire events written by others that were brought into the core game. The key here is that, if someone wants to have something like this added, they need to be willing to do the coding and writing work themselves and present it to Goldo as a (mostly) complete unit. He's got enough things to do with the core project without adding onto him having to write things for other people's events. But if he's presented with a fully fleshed out event, he's shown himself willing to take it in. The biggest example of this was the story arc for the job-girl, created by Kite80.

And then there is the most common way that other people contribute to the game. Girl packs. At this point we are way of 1K worth of girl packs existing. Only a few of the first ones were made by Goldo. The rest have been made by various members of the community. I'm one of the biggest pack-makers, but that's mostly just because I've stuck with it for a while now. But a good number of other people are also building packs. From real girls, to anime characters, to western animation characters. To live action characters. Virtual youtubers. Furries. And some that cannot be discussed on this board.

So yeah, the core game itself is still a one-man project, but there are a number of places in the environment around the game where other people are able to contribute.

Leortha

Jun 25, 2019
Oh, and about you pointing to a post about it from 2017. I'll say that promoting of the game has been in limbo while 0.15b is frozen and 0.2 is developing. I think it's a safe assumption that a number of us will fan out and promote the heck out of 0.2 whenever it eventually releases. But there's really not been much point in doing that given the current "open beta" state that it has been in for a while now.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Well, the 0.2 thing is just a label. Goldo could have called 0.15 version 3.0 instead, and 0.2 version 4.0, and it wouldn't have been terribly wrong.

And Spring of 2017 was the time of the 0.15 alpha, and the final version of 0.15 only materialised towards the end of 2019. Goldo has plans for up to at least 0.7 (I think), which doesn't mean the existing game is totally incomplete without them.

roydanton

Aug 7, 2016
Sorry, so there is no version 2?
I have loaded everything from the first page
Is there still a download for ver.2

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
There is no version 2.x. There is an open beta of version 0.2, which is still a bit buggy and thus not linked in the OP here. If you want to be a beta tester, come to the HHS forums.

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
Let's do a small resume:

BK is a one man project, Goldo's hobby; some small content has been made by fans like me (see jobgirl events and 0.2 UI overhaul made starting from OhWee's mod) and 99,99% of girl packs are made by several BK fans who decided to give a contribution without needing to code anything

BK current stable version is 0.15b, there's also 0.2 in beta testing (still changing and fixing bugs, plus new story content), you can play the first one without worries or get 0.2 with a reminder about bugs which could ruin your game experience

BK as sandbox game is already complete, you can run your brothel and get through the chapters until the end, only the story events from chapter 2 on are yet to be made (in 0.2 chapter 2 is almost complete)

basic girl packs made by Goldo provide a basic asset for the game, if you want more and better packs don't hesitate to ask which ones are the best and eventually if anybody wants to make a pack for a girl you like but isn't in the pack list yet

So, for newcomers I suggest to get 0.15b and as many packs as you want; if you want to try 0.2 and help find bugs you're welcome, of course, but once again, 0.2 is not stable enough to grant a good game experience.

Reactions: Daba
4.60 star(s) 44 Votes