Ren'Py Brothel King [v0.2] [Goldo]

4.60 star(s) 44 Votes

Copy

Oct 6, 2018
Something like this (you can either use the console or make a new function out of this:
Code:
f_name = "Beer keg"
already_seen = False
for f in brothel.furniture:
    if f.name == "Beer keg":
        if already_seen:
            brothel.furniture.remove(f)
        already_seen = True
This worked awesomely, had to repeat for all the basic furniture but after that no issues :D

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
Hi guys, while we wait for 0.2 official release (which unfortunately is suffering some delay because Goldo's dev time got a significant reduction for IRL factors), I'd like to give a few hints for new players on how to make a good game start.

First of all, you must take into account that MC class is what will influence your game style mostly:

- the warrior probably is the best class for evil MCs, you won't have many problems in submitting rebellious girls when they try to flee; in general, warrior grants a good brothel defense and MC can personally fight against "uncivilian" customers if there are enough free AP left
- wizard is my favorite class: in the long run you get very powerful spells which boost stats (except speed), clean your brothel for free and speed up the growth of some girls stats
- the rogue trader has Charisma as key stat and this alone is a big advantage (see below), plus it grants discounts almost everywhere, to the point that you can buy stuff for a price and sell it for more: yeah, you can even keep your brothel closed and start doing the broker, buying and selling

Charisma is the most important skill: it determines every interaction result such as girls training, talking with free girls to increase their love, every time MC needs to talk to someone for raising a stat Charisma is the key. No matter which class you choose, try to raise your Charisma as soon as you can: if you don't play the trader try to keep a balance between your main class stat and charisma, buy a weapon boosting charisma asap.

You may think that speed is also very important, but you can keep it low as long as you have other priorities for MC stats; 3 actions are enough for the first 2 chapters and if you play wise your MC will get enough levels before entering chapter 3 and raise speed up to 5.

Don't rush your game, especially at the beginning: after you get your first slave, set her upkeep to the max, it will make her happy and you won't spend a coin for that because of Sill special ability: a random girl will have free upkeep, but since you only have one girl figure out whos' gonna be chosen.
Your first slave probably will refuse to work as a whore, but don't worry and don't force it with trainings and lectures, first you need to raise her obedience and libido. A girl with a high libido will eventually accept customers requests for sex even if you didn't set her for such activities and she was justdoing a normal job. Once her libido is very high you can start to train her progressively: nudity, service, sex etc. but don't forget she may refuse advanced training for things she has a phobia, that's why you also need high obedience.

Sell your slave when her value is high enough (feel free to choose how much, twice or thrice her original price, even more if you like). Repeat until you have 4 fully trained slaves ready to whore and at least three times the money you need to go to the next chapter.

That's all for now, I hope this can be helpful for new players. Feel free to ask for more advice ;-)

Reactions: Ego Orb and Jman9

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
My take on these hints (be aware that I haven't played vanilla BK all that much):
  • The biggest difference between the classes is the special abilitiy/spell list.
  • Wizards have the best selection by far. Traders and Warriors might be relatively balanced there, but as Charisma is much more useful than Strength... :cautious:
  • Warrior might be a good fit for an evil MC, but being evil isn't really all that good or interesting.
  • Speed is the most important stat bar none. I am not entirely certain where the break-off point is where adding Charisma starts becoming more useful, but my gut feeling is that it's not before at least 6-10 Speed.
  • Several players have belly-ached about needing at least 10 Speed for the game 'to become interesting', and +20-50% actions is much better than +1 to some challenge rolls or training checks.
  • Charisma is probably the next best stat for vanilla.
  • There are items that boost your MC's stats, and non-Speed stats are also easier to improve that way.
  • 'Requests for sex' depend on a random pick from Obedience/Libido/Sensitivity, or just Obedience if she's not working naked or fails a 50% roll. Libido is a good stat to raise, too, but if you want her to obey you, raise her Obedience first.
  • I'm not sure whether the price increases have made it into 0.2, but in older versions, selling a slave is a big no-no. All your work training her down the drain, and she tends to make a lot more money by just working. It's possible to do low-key training of slaves specifically acquired with resale in mind once you have more actions (especially when you use the farm to let Gizel handle the bulk of the work, and as a place to stash the trainees). But it's not even remotely as good as just making her slave away in the brothel.
My biggest tip to those who already have some familiarity with the game is to play 0.2 on Prince or King difficulty.

Last edited:

vadi9203

Aug 2, 2019
1.5 years ago it was released, what is your point?
If we talk about time here then there is way more games here that wasnt even updated for more then 2-3 years by now but there is neither abandoned nor onhold tag put on it. I agree with both Jman and Leortha here to put at least onhold tag for this. This game wasnt abandoned at all just take more time to finalize the next patch. (Everyone have they own real life to deal with.

Reactions: Jman9

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
In fact I don't understand why someone decided to put abandoned tag here without even caring to ask people if the game actually is abandoned or not...

Btw, about speed stat: when you start the game you can't raise MC stats until he gets new levels and it's better to put your first point to charisma; one more action per turn doesn't change MC life that much, instead he gets a lot of benefits for a higher charisma, especially the trader who also gets the discount ability at 3rd level: 10% discount on purchases and +10% gain on selling for each point of charisma. Training becomes easier, interactions grant higher stat raises. We are talking about the first weeks of gameplay, of course, things change later on and speed becomes very important, but consider that if you get +1 action at 2nd level you still can't train a girl more than once a day, so raising the output of training by increasing charisma is a valid strategy. And with a good luck we can afford to get those cool boots at the shop while we're still in chapter 1.

Selling a slave may appear a big waste, but still we have to consider positive and negative factors and decide what's best for us: for example I prefer to get original girls only (not just for the cool golden trait), so if my slave has grown enough to get a good amount of coins by selling her and need it to buy an original girl or two, so be it. Moreover, more coins allow to get a new girl and good items to equip her, so that the first time you sell your slave you get a new girl and some equipment for her, without forgetting those precious training scrolls. Again, trader is the best choice for this strategy since the class will boost all those advantages. Naturally this step is not mandatory, there are other ways to make coins, this is just a way to stay safer and away from debts.

One last thing: perhaps it seems that I prefer the trader class, it is better than warrior in my opinion, but wizard is even better. As I mentioned above, wizard spells and skills allow a high level MC to manage his brothel without any effort: girls can work 24/7 without being tired at all, even tbose who make group sex every night; the brothel cleans up by itself, literally; some girl stats raise faster; high spirit needed to cast all those cool spells grants MC an unmatched magic fight ability. MC just sits and enjoys the coin stream flowing in his pockets. Wizard is the class I use most, but right now I'm doing a run with a trader (it's been a while since last time I played as trader), so who's curious about it can ask me how it is going on.

Last edited:

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
I forgot to say something: when 0.2 is done let's move on a new discussion and leave this one, so we won't need moderators anymore to update OP.

Reactions: linda95 and Jman9

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
...one more action per turn doesn't change MC life that much, instead he gets a lot of benefits for a higher charisma...
Huh? From 3 to 4 (or even 4 to 5) actions is huge. I don't think Charisma ever gives a comparable benefit, not even 0 -> 1 Charisma. These 'lots of benefits' are all pretty tiny for just 1 additional charisma.

BTW, getting the master bedroom ASAP allows you to perform advanced training for just 1 AP. Personally, I consider it a cheat, but I also think the '1 training session a day' restriction is bullshit.

discount ability at 3rd level: 10% discount on purchases and +10% gain on selling for each point of charisma.
That's +2%, capped at +25% selling and -25% buying. 10% would be worth considering over Speed, but not this.

Training becomes easier, interactions grant higher stat raises.
+10% per point of Charisma, generally. If you get two slaves ASAP, +1 Speed is essentially +100%.

We are talking about the first weeks of gameplay, of course, things change later on and speed becomes very important...

...you still can't train a girl more than once a day...
You do have a point that it helps you focus train your first girl. But you can use the extra AP for a number of other purposes, like adventuring in the city, rewarding her (I think rewards/punishments got somewhat better in 0.2) or just chatting. Also, chatting indirectly boosts training due to love increases.

Or use advanced training and have some leftover AP for other purposes/other slaves.

And with a good luck we can afford to get those cool boots at the shop while we're still in chapter 1.
With luck you can also get the +2 Charisma axe. As I said, boosting other MC stats via items is easier than raising Speed.

...if my slave has grown enough to get a good amount of coins by selling her and need it to buy an original girl or two, so be it.
A valid point, but it's basically trading more income for a better girl. From a minmaxing POV, that's a poor trade. In my non-vanilla games (where the Headhunter exists and can provide tailor-made girls) I also try to get originals from her after a while, but I usually find that I need the 'old' girls to keep my business running while I train the nooblets. I only sell girls I have no real personal investment in.

Moreover, more coins allow to get a new girl and good items to equip her, so that the first time you sell your slave you get a new girl and some equipment for her
That new girl is also very likely a money sink that'll eat all your cash via lower income and having to retrain her all over again.

Again, trader is the best choice for this strategy since the class will boost all those advantages.
Yeah, a Charismatic Trader is possibly the one setup where this is sorta viable.

...wizard is even better.
Tell me about it. My modded Wizard is basically cheat mode. :D

Last edited:

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
So, here's my progress with vanilla game, no cheats:

y1 m3 w10 - gold 353
Trader lvl 4 - stats 1/3/6/4 with wooden staff and fur boots
3 girls in the brothel, all originals, all whoring - class C, lvl 5
brothel: basic room 4/4, MC bed 1 slot, tavern only
average income: 150 coins
city: 2 girls good friends

I didn't sell my first girl (Hinata), plus she's been attacked and hurt by a monster 3 times while she was the only girl in my brothel; this slowed things a bit but didn't cause too much trouble.

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
y1 m4 d2 - gold 2117 (but still in chapter 1)
4 girls in the brothel, added 1 free girl as tavern worker
1 girl in the farm
3 hearts in town: sex / touch / friend

The difficult part is balancing working hours for the girls without make them tired, luckily 2 of them have "warm welcome" perk and can recover more energy during half shifts

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
I like the art and the concept but is it censored...
All of the art is stolen, and some of it is therefore censored. Most if not all the NPCs are actually censored, I think. And girl packs occasionally have censorship, depending on the art available for the character and the pack maker's tastes.

There's no deliberate censorship, however. Just no effort spent on avoiding it.

But frankly, the promo art here is useless. It doesn't really show anything related to actual gameplay. AFAIK, only two modders have actually created promotional screenshots that do the game some justice, OhWee and myself. Some of OhWee's (quite old) stuff can be seen here, and it's not very different from the actual game. Some of his work was included in the game around 0.14, a lot of it was not. Looking at mine requires you to register at HHS, probably not worth it if you're not invested in the game.

Reactions: wiwem71072

fogginstance

Apr 11, 2019
How do you get slaves to go permanently nude? I have one slave that's 55 libido and fascinated by nudity who I could tell to remain naked at all times, and another one with 60 libido that's also fascinated by nudity who I can't tell to remain naked at all times. Is there a specific formula or calculated by base stats (the latter slave has tasty sausage +10 and some clothing) or something?

Leortha

Jun 25, 2019
How do you get slaves to go permanently nude? I have one slave that's 55 libido and fascinated by nudity who I could tell to remain naked at all times, and another one with 60 libido that's also fascinated by nudity who I can't tell to remain naked at all times. Is there a specific formula or calculated by base stats (the latter slave has tasty sausage +10 and some clothing) or something?
I've been told before that there is a third factor that can reduce the needed Libido, but I never remember what it is. The general formula I use is 75 Libido + Fascinated with Naked. Once you have this run Nudity training one more time. At the end you will be offered the chance to have her go full time nude. Once you get her past that hurdle you can toggle it on or off at will in one of the settings for that girl.

Reactions: Silito13

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
Some perks and traits can reduce the requirements for being nude all times (Naturalist for example), but as Leortha said above you usually need libido >= 75 and one more nude training.

Btw I asked a mod about the abandoned tag, showed him proof that Goldo is still developing BK and he kindly removed the tag. Just for info: next time someone thinks about reporting this game as abandoned just because OP wasn't updated for 2-3 months, a quick check on latest posts too would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
I've been told before that there is a third factor that can reduce the needed Libido, but I never remember what it is.
The only thing I can find is hitting a positive fixation during advanced training, which knocks off 25 points from the 75 Libido + 75 'reluctance' requirement (and conversely, encountering a phobia gives +25).

Some perks and traits can reduce the requirements for being nude all times (Naturalist for example)...
Not true, except perhaps incidentally due to Naturists starting with higher preference scores. Mechanics-wise, the Naturist trait is almost identical to having been successfully told to 'remain naked at all times'. Don't recall any other perks or traits like that, either.

jahall

Feb 20, 2019
Some perks and traits can reduce the requirements for being nude all times (Naturalist for example), but as Leortha said above you usually need libido >= 75 and one more nude training.
Now I have this disturbing mental image of a nude David Attenborough. :)

ibell420

May 8, 2021
All of the art is stolen, and some of it is therefore censored. Most if not all the NPCs are actually censored, I think. And girl packs occasionally have censorship, depending on the art available for the character and the pack maker's tastes.

There's no deliberate censorship, however. Just no effort spent on avoiding it.

But frankly, the promo art here is useless. It doesn't really show anything related to actual gameplay. AFAIK, only two modders have actually created promotional screenshots that do the game some justice, OhWee and myself. Some of OhWee's (quite old) stuff can be seen here, and it's not very different from the actual game. Some of his work was included in the game around 0.14, a lot of it was not. Looking at mine requires you to register at HHS, probably not worth it if you're not invested in the game.
Oh, ok. Thanks!

DougTheC

Oct 15, 2018
... (the latter slave has tasty sausage +10 and some clothing)
Also note that consumable foods have effect only when you Use them on a girl, not when you just Give them to a girl and it shows in her inventory.
The mod Bonanza has some allowance for auto-use of foods, but not "vanilla" game.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
New question, same answer: the mod Bonanza has some items that go in there, but not "vanilla" game. :sneaky:

4.60 star(s) 44 Votes