Ren'Py Brothel King [v0.2] [Goldo]

4.60 star(s) 44 Votes

Leortha

Jun 25, 2019
Also, before spending too much time on this, I would suggest asking Golgo over on the BK forum if he would be willing to add this, even if presented it on a silver platter. Presenting him with the code already ready helps the situation a lot, but there is still the issue of the lack of this being a design decision on his part. It would be a waste if effort was put into this, then he still says that he does not want something like this in the game anyway.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Even if Goldo is vehemently against it for some reason, it's easy enough to turn the whole thing into an option. One hidden in the settings file, even.

And for effort, I think I've already done the worst parts of the grunt work, and some Bonanza players might have even tested it. The conditions to trigger it were rather draconian, though (all fixations uncovered and all phobias removed).

Last edited:

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
Even if Goldo is vehemently against it for some reason, it's easy enough to turn the whole thing into an option. One hidden in the settings file, even.

And for effort, I think I've already done the worst parts of the grunt work, and some Bonanza players might have even tested it. The conditions to trigger it were rather draconian, though (all fixation uncovered and all phobias removed).
To me it's fine if it's a difficult process. In fact I actually think it should be difficult. You're training a girl to change her nature. That shouldn't be easy.

It would be nice if it was part of the base game but I'd be almost as happy with a mod that does that. My main reason for wanting it is that for this type of game I like to know that eventually I can get the girl fully trained. To me a girl that permanently has no positive fixations isn't really trainable. She's a temp that I will have to just sell and get a new girl until I find one who is fully trainable.

I did try the Bonanza mod but I was getting crashes so I'm not sure if I installed it wrong or if I just ran into some bugs.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
It would be nice if it was part of the base game but I'd be almost as happy with a mod that does that.
A modular mod would still need Goldo's cooperation. And a non-modular mod would be hell to maintain.

I did try the Bonanza mod but I was getting crashes so I'm not sure if I installed it wrong or if I just ran into some bugs.
Both are possible. I did fix a few bugs for some players less than a month back. But I can't help you if I don't have detailed bug reports.

To me a girl that permanently has no positive fixations isn't really trainable.
Well, no girls have zero positive fixations. But some can have only two, plus what they get from perks.

...I like to know that eventually I can get the girl fully trained.

...a temp that I will have to just sell and get a new girl until I find one who is fully trainable.
You'll probably hate Bonanza's chapter 1, then. Maybe chapter 2 and 3, too. All the girls you have there are more or less guaranteed to be temps, and you'll be spending at least a year if not two with them.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
I would suggest asking Golgo over on the BK forum if he would be willing to add this, even if presented it on a silver platter.
Goldo said he has 'nope' objections to the project, so I guess we're free to start stacking the platter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ego Orb

Ego Orb

Apr 20, 2018
I had a pretty detailed system for adding fixations, allowing the player to pick an act, step (foreplay/action/finish) and fixation. It's spread over a number of files, and would need some changes, especially if you want to make it random and move it from training to hypnosis. 0.2 might have changed some systems around, too.

Download Bonanza's 0.4.1.1 patch to get the scripts and start with 'label slave_add_fixation(girl)' in BKinteractions.rpy, searching for functions and dictionaries as you encounter them.
Just wanted to make a quick report of a decently big bug I found; in my current game the 2nd loan payment isn't actually taken from me once the bank lady shows up. I'll upload my save file from the day before it happened.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
2nd loan payment isn't actually taken from me once the bank lady shows up.
That's a feature, not a bug. You pay your loan in daily instalments, and she shows up once you're done. Do you not read a thing she says and just gaze at the boobs like the MC? :p

• Haha
Reactions: Ego Orb and Reij

Ego Orb

Apr 20, 2018
That's a feature, not a bug. You pay your loan in daily instalments, and she shows up once you're done. Do you not read a thing she says and just gaze at the boobs like the MC? :p
I don't see why the second loan would be any different from the first. The way it was with the first, you paid it all off on the day that it was due. Why would it be any different the second time around?

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
I don't really know the exact design reasons. But note that the first loan is also unique in that it doesn't charge an interest.

I can guess that it's easier to pay a small amount every day rather than save up, since all kinds of bad things could happen to such a lump sum (thieves, taxes, impulse purchases, plain forgetfulness). And 0.2 already has a 'lump sum' deduction in actual 'taxes'. Plus RL loans also tend to work with instalments, so I suppose familiarity is also a possibility.

Reactions: Ego Orb

Gh8st

Sep 12, 2017
Using RenPy launcher to open the game on MacOs.

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

After initialization, but before game start.
  File "game/BKscreens.rpy", line 1593, in prepare_screen
    screen assign_job(girl):
  File "game/BKscreens.rpy", line 1593, in prepare
    screen assign_job(girl):
  File "game/BKscreens.rpy", line 1611, in prepare
    frame ypos 0.25:
    frame ypos 0.25:
  File "game/BKscreens.rpy", line 1613, in prepare
    grid 4 2:
    grid 4 2:
  File "game/BKscreens.rpy", line 1654, in prepare
    if brothel.master_bedroom.level >= 1:
  File "game/BKscreens.rpy", line 1655, in prepare
    button xsize 110 ysize 60 background None xpadding 2 ypadding 2 xpos 0:
Exception: Properties are not allowed here.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "/renpy/bootstrap.py", line 326, in bootstrap
    renpy.main.main()
  File "/renpy/main.py", line 617, in main
    run(restart)
  File "/renpy/main.py", line 97, in run
    renpy.display.screen.prepare_screens()
  File "/renpy/display/screen.py", line 938, in prepare_screens
    s.ast.prepare_screen()
  File "game/BKscreens.rpy", line 1593, in prepare_screen
    screen assign_job(girl):
  File "game/BKscreens.rpy", line 1593, in prepare
    screen assign_job(girl):
    frame ypos 0.25:
    frame ypos 0.25:
    grid 4 2:
    grid 4 2:
  File "game/BKscreens.rpy", line 1655, in prepare
    button xsize 110 ysize 60 background None xpadding 2 ypadding 2 xpos 0:
  File "/renpy/sl2/slast.py", line 409, in prepare
    raise Exception("Properties are not allowed here.")
Exception: Properties are not allowed here.

Darwin-18.5.0-x86_64-i386-64bit
Ren'Py 7.4.4.1439
Brothel King 0.15b
Thu Apr 22 15:36:03 2021

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Using RenPy launcher to open the game on MacOs.

Ren'Py 7.4.4.1439
Brothel King 0.15b
I have no idea how Ren'Py Launcher works, but you appear to be trying to launch BK on top of Ren'Py 7.4.4, while even 0.2 is no further than 7.3.5, and 0.15b is something like 7.0.0. This in itself is potentially troublesome, but the error message also indicates something is very wrong with the overall process, since not 'being allowed' to use button properties is quite messed up.

Can you run other Ren'Py games with the launcher and if so, which ones?

Gh8st

Sep 12, 2017
I have no idea how Ren'Py Launcher works, but you appear to be trying to launch BK on top of Ren'Py 7.4.4, while even 0.2 is no further than 7.3.5, and 0.15b is something like 7.0.0. This in itself is potentially troublesome, but the error message also indicates something is very wrong with the overall process, since not 'being allowed' to use button properties is quite messed up.

Can you run other Ren'Py games with the launcher and if so, which ones?
City of Broken Dreamers and Freeloading Family works fine on latest RenPy 7.4.4

Looks like the problem is the version of RenPy. I just checked Brothel King on RenPy 7.3.5 MacOs it works without problem.
Maybe, it would be better to add some mention in the main post, that you should use RenPy version no further than 7.3.5.
Thanks for the help!)

Jul 28, 2018
allright, maybe its a long shot. However, I need to know.

Under the very first post there are two "fans of....." attached to the ops post. does anyone knows which game they are? Especially the name of the game featuring that Japanese looking woman

Reij

Jun 22, 2018
allright, maybe its a long shot. However, I need to know.

Under the very first post there are two "fans of....." attached to the ops post. does anyone knows which game they are? Especially the name of the game featuring that Japanese looking woman
The first one isn't a 'fan of' so much as their own signature. It's F95zone TC (their username) and 'The Doctor' with a couple of M&Ms in lab coats which ties into their title of 'The M&M Doctor.'

The second is a 'fan of' but not for a game. It's Yamamoto (山本) Sayaka (彩) from the idol group NMB48.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
No. Whoever put that 'abandoned' tag onto the thread should get slapped with the biggest trout in the armoury. :mad:

Edit: I'm not really sure what ought to be done, though, since the OP only mentions and links to 0.15b and that version actually is abandoned. :unsure:

Last edited:

GH20

Feb 21, 2020
I think it would be good time to release the incomplete v0.2 already.
Disregard the bugs, beta features, and creative discussions we have.

Leortha

Jun 25, 2019
Making a reply to get a moderator in this. (I.e. I'll be self-reporting this comment)

This thread appears to have had the Abandoned tag added to the lead post. This is a complex situation. Version 0.15 is frozen, but development continues on version 0.2. If this thread is to be tagged Abandoned, should we start a new post for version 0.2? I was assuming that this one would stay active and then be converted to a 0.2 thread whenever 0.2 is ready for launch. But the Abandoned tag is giving the wrong idea that the whole project is abandoned, as opposed to just an older version. We've gotten two surprised posts from people just today thinking that the project has been abandoned, which it most certainly has not.

Reactions: SenPC

Leortha

Jun 25, 2019
Well. I've been informed that the Abandoned tag will remain until a new version is released. Apparently it's a policy that anything without a release in over a year in considered to be Abandoned.

So batten down the hatches, looks like we are in for the long haul having to explain to people that no, it's not abandoned, F95's tag policy just does not work in our situation.

Edit: I'll also note that the two replies I have gotten from the F95 mods are self contradictory. The first said to provide them with a post that showed the dev saying he was still working on the game. I responded with a link to Goldo's post from earlier today about why he has not posted a patch in a couple of weeks, only to be told that, despite complying with the first response, the tag would definitely not be coming off.

4.60 star(s) 44 Votes