Ren'Py Brothel King [v0.2] [Goldo]

4.60 star(s) 44 Votes

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
What a coincidence, I was just looking for different music a while ago, especially the intro theme can be a little noisy after you ear it for a thousand times...

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
...tunes
...in case any of the active modders here or even Goldo might want to expand on it down the line.
I'm not really saying this is bad, music is highly personal. But I tried and this just isn't my cup of tea. Too laid-back. :cautious:

I expanded the selection a bit in Bonanza (although the 'new' title is still kinda loud :p ) with stuff I pilfered from... mostly ninja-themed H-games, but not only.

...I would be more than happy with Kite80, Jman9 or Leortha disseminating it over there.

I really am a huge fan of this project and I'd like to contribute to it...
One thing you could do that would be of immense use is to find a of the recently discontinued DeepCreamPy and try it out on the NPC scenes. Farah, Bast, the Banker, Gizel, Goldie, the intro girls, etc. This would make a lot of complaints about 'censorship' go away.

hotmike

Jan 28, 2018
I really like this game, and love working on girl packs (RL), but the number of bugs with the shops makes progressing a bad experience. The patch does not help (so I am at 0.15b). Are there any patches I am missing?

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
bugs with the shops
Are there any patches I am missing?
If your latest .rpy scripts are from 20.11.2019, then no. If not, .

If this doesn't help, tell us more about these bugs. Maybe they've been patched, maybe not, maybe you're another victim of .

Mar 4, 2018
One thing you could do that would be of immense use is to find a of the recently discontinued DeepCreamPy and try it out on the NPC scenes. Farah, Bast, the Banker, Gizel, Goldie, the intro girls, etc. This would make a lot of complaints about 'censorship' go away.
I've been hunting around for it and it seems that a lot of people are after it as well, at best I found a forked version but I can't test it's authenticity. I have no idea how to run the script, no idea what to do with a bunch of .py files. , it's probably not what you're after but it might be, it's all greek to me o_O

EDIT: Also some guy wrote a working linux version but hasn't had any luck getting it to work with windows.

Last edited:

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
I've been hunting around for it and it seems that a lot of people are after it as well, at best I found a forked version but I can't test it's authenticity.
I've found an actual Win64 executable as well, but it didn't work. Possibly because my system is positively ancient. Or because it just doesn't work. :cry:

I have no idea how to run the script, no idea what to do with a bunch of .py files.
In theory, install Python and other requirements from . Then run 'python main.py' from the command line and the directory you put the Python scripts into.

In practice, all kinds of weird stuff can happen.

Leortha

Jun 25, 2019
I really like this game, and love working on girl packs (RL), but the number of bugs with the shops makes progressing a bad experience. The patch does not help (so I am at 0.15b). Are there any patches I am missing?
Goldo, the game's dev, put 0.15b into a frozen state over a year ago, and has since been working on version 0.2, which has had a lot of progress, but is still not quite ready for release. You can find 0.2 at the below link...

hotmike

Jan 28, 2018
but is still not quite ready for release. You can find 0.2 at the below link...
Does it have less bugs? I tried entering the console, but even with my python developer knowledge I can't enter the console nor fix the issues with all shops in an easy way.

Do webm files work in 0.2?

If a game version is unmaintained when working on a new version, why is then this game not marked? With other games it is clear that a year of no release usually means the game will never be updated again. As there is only one dev, how do we know there is actually any progress?

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
We know it because he tell us on HHS forum what he's doing; the game is not abandoned and it's not correct to say 0.15b is not maintained anymore, in fact bugs still present on that version will be fixed on next release (like in any game), but next version (0.2) is not just a bugfix, it also brings content for chapter 2. If you lime this game don't worry, it's still going on.

Leortha

Jun 25, 2019
Does it have less bugs? I tried entering the console, but even with my python developer knowledge I can't enter the console nor fix the issues with all shops in an easy way.
More actually, It's still in active Beta, and actively being developed. A lot of nice stuff has been added, and it's definitely fully playable, but it's not as stable as the version that 0.15b was left upon.

Do webm files work in 0.2?
Not a simple question. to answer. Many work. Likely most work. But it depends on the codex used in the specific video. We have a pic-tagging tool, and in general if a given video will play in the tag-tool, it'll play fine in the game itself. Some pack builders have started adding movies to their packs, others have not. (I don't, mostly because of space. I have very limited space on my Mega, and adding videos would eat that space away at a ridiculous rate.

If a game version is unmaintained when working on a new version, why is then this game not marked? With other games it is clear that a year of no release usually means the game will never be updated again. As there is only one dev, how do we know there is actually any progress?
This is another complex issue. And at this point a bit of a sore spot around here. This thread was flagged for a while as Abandoned. But the game as a whole is absolutely not abandoned. (Goldo was responding to questions just yesterday on the BK home forum.) After some highly questionable actions by the F95 site mods, we got one to remove the Abandoned tag. I believe that someone mentioned there being a different tag that might be closer to the correct situation, but at this point trust in the F95 mods is fairly low, so we are in no rush to poke the bear any more. So I don't see us asking for more tags to be added, in case we get the inappropriate Abandoned tag returned for our trouble.

Reactions: hotmike

fogginstance

Apr 11, 2019
Is there any way to keep brothel security under control in the late game? The max size is 32 girls, but even with 18 strength (maxed out spirit with angel staff & dragon soul), 64 (+10 from bride perk) security goons, all carpenter wagon upgrades, and only 10 girls I'm still just barely below "very high" risk. Dropping down to 59 goons is enough to get me "very high" risk. i get spammed with security events every. single. night. Seems like a massive trap if getting even 1/3rd the max number of girls completely screws you over.

Leortha

Jun 25, 2019
The easiest is to not keep that much cash on-hand. Threat level is proportional to how much cash you are holding onto. There are furnature items that mitigate the situation, but it's still proportional to what you have.

If nothing else, go buy a bunch of diamonds.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Does it have less bugs?
It's a new version in beta. So less of some and more of others.

I tried entering the console, but even with my python developer knowledge I can't enter the console...
Um, what did you try? First time I've heard anyone complain about that (as opposed to not knowing how to), less so anyone saying they're a developer.

Some people have trouble with Ren'Py hotkeys on occasion.

...fix the issues with all shops in an easy way.
You've still not said what problems you're having.

If a game version is unmaintained when working on a new version, why is then this game not marked?
It's not unmaintained, it's frozen.

With other games it is clear that a year of no release usually means the game will never be updated again.
Like HHS+? :p

A year of silence or empty promises might mean that. We have neither.

As there is only one dev, how do we know there is actually any progress?
Because we can participate in the beta?

Is there any way to keep brothel security under control in the late game?
On top of what you already have, by not hoarding too much money and having less girls working all at once. If it was about actual 'security events'. But since these are the 'cat burglar', 'assassin', 'brothel raid', etc and occur at most once per night and you're complaining about several events...

"very high" risk.
Risk levels merely tell you how fast the 'special security event' counter is rising. Since that can only proc once per night, it's not as useful a metric as you think.

i get spammed with security events every. single. night.
Arsonists and violent customers, I presume? These are largely independent of the above. You get more of these as the number of customers rises, and especially if you let in Thugs or Aristocrats.

You're not in the middle of the Blood Moon or the Hallow Moon by any chance, are you?

Edit: You should be having 1.6*(64+10) ~= 118 security vs 5 (max district) + 10 (Blood Moon in a max district) + 5/2 * 10 (10 rank X girls working that night) + X (hoarded gold) <= 40 + X threat. Lowering your team by 5 taking you down a level means you're exactly at 10 'risk', or that your maxed security is 10 lower than threat, i.e. X >= 88. That is not possible, since maximum gold threat is 52.

If you're having a Hallow Moon, that'd make it 1.3*30+1.3*X, so X >= 87/1.3 ~= 63. Still not possible.

So something doesn't add up.

That's for theory. In practice, I just tried it with 10 rank X girls on the job, 10 billion gold, Zap traps and the last chapter. Hmmm...

It looks like security furniture is not working in 0.15b, due to effect scopes not being set right. I dimly recall some reporting about that, and it is resolved in 0.2. Fixing the thing for 0.15b is possible, but requires some skill with the console if it's an ongoing game.

Last edited:

fogginstance

Apr 11, 2019
It was the hoarding gold aspect. I had 3.5m, bought several hundred diamonds to get down to 40k, and now threat is very low. No thugs or aristocrats, & it was silver moon. (y)

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Look at my last edit. If you're playing 0.15b, you might be suffering from certain furniture not working right. I think it can also be fixed without the console, but then you'll be running an experimental hack. :p

hotmike

Jan 28, 2018
It's a new version in beta. So less of some and more of others.

Um, what did you try? First time I've heard anyone complain about that (as opposed to not knowing how to), less so anyone saying they're a developer.

Some people have trouble with Ren'Py hotkeys on occasion.
Well, yeah, saying you are supposed to be able to do something doesn't always mean you understand things at once.

So what I did wrong: wait for the error to occur and then try to enter the console (assuming you can). But you can't there. So I did it on a save and edited out the False item.
That solved the issue that I could not enter any new shop at chapter 2 or more.

So now I have been playing and entering shops, spending a lot of money on items. I think most other errors I encounter are related to evaluations of tags in images (not enough Try's in the code I would say).

Some pack builders have started adding movies to their packs, others have not. (I don't, mostly because of space. I have very limited space on my Mega, and adding videos would eat that space away at a ridiculous rate.
Yes I have. Not shared yet as I am testing the viewing of the webm in 0.15b. None have shown up so far, so I assuming it does not work.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Well, yeah, saying you are supposed to be able to do something doesn't always mean you understand things at once.
Very true, that.

I think most other errors I encounter are related to evaluations of tags in images...
For example? I'm not sure what you mean here, most of the time images are searched according to tags, no tags are 'evaluated'. Unless you mean something very specific by that.

I'm asking because the sooner we catch all the bugs, the better. There's an annoying error related to Ren'Py itself where the image cache gets emptied too soon, is that what you're running into?

Yes I have. Not shared yet as I am testing the viewing of the webm in 0.15b. None have shown up so far, so I assuming it does not work.
0.15b does not support WebM, not even in principle (doesn't consider .webp files at all). Use the latest tagging tool and 0.2 if you want to test WebM.

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
essay16v Wow, that's quite a mess, looks like there's a visualization loop somewhere; which version are you playing?

4.60 star(s) 44 Votes