Ren'Py Brothel King [v0.2] [Goldo]

4.60 star(s) 44 Votes

Perdurabo

May 4, 2017
And just to be thorough, GIF format is not fully incompatible with Ren'py, just animated GIFs. Since in recent times that is what the vast majority of GIF images are used for, it ends up being pretty much the same thing. But many years back GIF was also used a lot in R34 for images with simpler color palates. So when making girl packs of older characters it is far from uncommon to encounter static GIFs of R34 material. These are displayed fine in Ren'py.
Back in the 90's, .gif was basically the 'higher quality but way less space efficient' option, while .jpg was more lossy, but far better compression. But .gif could be animated as well. So in the days of dial-up modems, you had to choose format based on that due to transfer rates being very low.

technojaguar

Jan 5, 2020
Alright so I have a question, there is this woman who claims to be part of the slavers guild that keeps forcing me to cough up huge wads of gold, is there a way to bypass her?

technojaguar

Jan 5, 2020
Nope. It's the taxwoman. You can't escape the taxwoman!
Ugh, there has to be a way, its pretty obvious she's pocketing the money for herself. I do have some sway with the princess so maybe in the future that could be an escape plan?

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Nope, there's no way. It's been decided that you're accumulating too much gold as time goes on, so someone will have to take it. Currently, it's her.

Edit: Also, what gives you the idea that she's pocketing the money? Unless she's flat-out lying. And in that case, where are the real tax collectors? Somebody is going to tax you anyway.

Also, Kurohime is really not all that influential.

Last edited:

Ego Orb

Apr 20, 2018
Does anyone know what determines how much energy use a girl's training will use? It's kind of annoying trying to remember as it seems to vary between girls. Is it random? Is it based on whether they have a heart or other feeling about the sex act?

technojaguar

Jan 5, 2020
Nope, there's no way. It's been decided that you're accumulating too much gold as time goes on, so someone will have to take it. Currently, it's her.

Edit: Also, what gives you the idea that she's pocketing the money? Unless she's flat-out lying. And in that case, where are the real tax collectors? Somebody is going to tax you anyway.

Also, Kurohime is really not all that influential.
In one of our encounters she let it slip that it was her money, so yeah she's basically keeping it all for herself.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
In one of our encounters she let it slip that it was her money, so yeah she's basically keeping it all for herself.
Do you mean the one throwaway line that says "I hope you have my... the Guild's money ready."? I wouldn't count that as conclusive evidence against everything else she says. Could be just her magical affliction acting up.

And again, assuming for the moment that she is taking the money, where are the real slavers or the King's taxmen? If she can mollify both, it's as good as her being who she says she is, and getting rid of her will not get rid of the taxes. Pretty much the opposite, in fact.

Is there a way to get rid of that awful fade-in on *every* transition?
Preferences -> Transitions -> None. Personally, I think you're bonkers, but have fun.

Edit: If you only want to get rid of some specific transition like 'fade' or 'dissolve', find
Code:
define flash = Fade(0.1, 0.0, 0.5, color="#fff")
in BKdeclarations.rpy and add something like
Code:
define dissolve = Dissolve(0.0)
and/or
Code:
define fade = Dissolve(0.0)
before or after that.

I still think it looks much uglier than before, but if that's what rocks your boat...

Last edited:
Reactions: __neronero

Teeleh

Aug 9, 2018
Hello friends, I'm trying to make my own girl pack and I noticed that a lot of them use the .webp format. I am unfamiliar with this. What is the simplest way to switch a jpg or a png file to .webp? Also, I noticed a few packs have animations. Is this discouraged?

fogginstance

Apr 11, 2019
Preferences -> Transitions -> None. Personally, I think you're bonkers, but have fun.

Edit: If you only want to get rid of some specific transition like 'fade' or 'dissolve', find
Code:
define flash = Fade(0.1, 0.0, 0.5, color="#fff")
in BKdeclarations.rpy and add something like
Code:
define dissolve = Dissolve(0.0)
and/or
Code:
define fade = Dissolve(0.0)
before or after that.

I still think it looks much uglier than before, but if that's what rocks your boat...
Thanks; not sure how I managed to overlook that despite preferences being the first place I looked. I think they'd be more bearable if there weren't SO MANY transitions. this game can get kinda grindy at times, so even if the transitions are short, they can add up a lot over time. If you're looking to quickly do stuff, it's like constantly tripping on little pebbles. It's like playing a game with input lag. It's just so much faster & feels more responsive without the transitions. Oddly enough, the esc/save menu doesn't have any transition.

Follow-up; is there a proper hot-key for quick-load without the confirmation?

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
...I'm trying to make my own girl pack...
Girl packs have their own thread.

What is the simplest way to switch a jpg or a png file to .webp?
A ?

I myself would have asked what's the most powerful or flexible tool for doing that. Which probably doesn't have a singular answer.

Also, I noticed a few packs have animations. Is this discouraged?
Kinda, mostly for size reasons. Not all types of animations work, either.

I think they'd be more bearable if there weren't SO MANY transitions. this game can get kinda grindy at times, so even if the transitions are short, they can add up a lot over time.
Well, if you're not enjoying the story, you could just skip it. Reading and appreciating the text takes longer than any transitions.

You could also redefine the offending transitions to be faster, but then you'd have to reapply these changes every update. No, see Edit2.

Like this:
Code:
define dissolve = Dissolve(0.2)

define fade = Fade(.2, 0, .2)

Oddly enough, the esc/save menu doesn't have any transition.
Why should it? Transitions are put in manually because just changing pictures is very jarring.

Follow-up; is there a proper hot-key for quick-load without the confirmation?
F9.

Edit: I put together a prospective list of updated hotkeys for when we finally get to revamping the OP. Look .

Edit2: Actually, you might want to try the attached file. Copy it into 'game' and play around with the numbers to see where your speed threshold is.

Last edited:

Earliestbird

Game Developer
Sep 5, 2020
Whaaat, I turned off the transitions during my first playthrough and never looked back. Then again I don't ever play visual novels and quick, responsive gameplay is very important to me. It doesn't feel like having the transitions off take away anything from the story, personally.

Reactions: Akren

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Well, apparently you heathens come in a tribe. :p

All I can say is try the faster transitions file. If it doesn't convince you, well, we'll just have to remain in different camps. :)

Ego Orb

Apr 20, 2018
It depends on the act: naked -5, service -7, sex -9, anal -11, fetish -13, bisexual -9, group -15
While that's certainly the way it used to be, there was either some change in 0.2 or a bug, because this fetish training used 20 energy. I'm using the latest patch installed from:

__neronero

Jan 23, 2021
While that's certainly the way it used to be, there was either some change in 0.2 or a bug, because this fetish training used 20 energy. I'm using the latest patch installed from:
Good point, the effectiveness of training is multiplied by the player's charisma (+10% for each point you have). This also multiplies the amount of energy used.
Not sure if that's intended or an oversight. I guess the point could be made that you're able to convince the girl to make the training session longer.

edit: You have 5 charisma, -13 * 1.5 = -19.5 (rounded to -20)
I reported it on the bug thread at HHS. I doubt it's supposed to be multiplied along with the other stats like that.

Last edited:

Ego Orb

Apr 20, 2018
Good point, the effectiveness of training is multiplied by the player's charisma (+10% for each point you have). This also multiplies the amount of energy used.
Not sure if that's intended or an oversight. I guess the point could be made that you're able to convince the girl to make the training session longer.

edit: You have 5 charisma, -13 * 1.5 = -19.5 (rounded to -20)
I reported it on the bug thread at HHS. I doubt it's supposed to be multiplied along with the other stats like that.
New version of 0.2 that just came out seems to have fixed this bug.

Last edited:
  • Yay, new update!

poposss

Mar 26, 2021
Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/BKendday.rpy", line 1026, in script call
    call play_events(type = "morning") from _call_play_events_1 # Note: Morning events are set with the new day's date: beware of the confusion
  File "game/BKevents.rpy", line 660, in script call
    call display_events(ev_list) from _call_display_events
  File "game/BKevents.rpy", line 672, in script call
    $ ev.play()
  File "game/BKevents.rpy", line 232, in script
    python:
  File "game/BKevents.rpy", line 233, in <module>
    if char.current_food_effect == eff: # Disables food lock
AttributeError: 'Main' object has no attribute 'current_food_effect'

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "game/BKendday.rpy", line 1026, in script call
    call play_events(type = "morning") from _call_play_events_1 # Note: Morning events are set with the new day's date: beware of the confusion
  File "game/BKevents.rpy", line 660, in script call
    call display_events(ev_list) from _call_display_events
  File "game/BKevents.rpy", line 672, in script call
    $ ev.play()
  File "game/BKevents.rpy", line 232, in script
    python:
  File "renpy/ast.py", line 928, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "renpy/python.py", line 2245, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec(bytecode, globals, locals)
  File "game/BKevents.rpy", line 233, in <module>
    if char.current_food_effect == eff: # Disables food lock
AttributeError: 'Main' object has no attribute 'current_food_effect'

Windows-10-10.0.19041
Ren'Py 7.4.10.2178
Brothel King 0.2 v211126
Wed Feb 23 14:37:55 2022

please help i love this game some much and thanxxxxxxxxxx fow the fantastic developers for the great game and girls packs

if i skip will i miss something mybe a scene or story

plz hlp

4.60 star(s) 44 Votes