• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Ren'Py Brothel King [v0.2] [Goldo]

4.60 star(s) 44 Votes

goldo00

Aug 9, 2019
Hi guys, a new patch is out fixing a bug found by neronero. I took the opportunity to change the in-game link to the new forum:

It is now up and running, and unless henthighschool.com surprises us by suddenly coming back from the dead, this will be our new base of operations for now.

Thanks to everyone on F95 for providing us with good feedback, and a much-needed backup in our time of need! :)

fogginstance

Apr 11, 2019
Is there a point in this game where the Threat level is too high and you eventually get a game over, even when you are at the last area? Is there a way to reset it? Is there a New Game +?
For some reason, threat is tied to the amount of gold you have, so you have to diligently and tediously seek out the small opportunities to waste money.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Is there a point in this game where the Threat level is too high and you eventually get a game over, even when you are at the last area? Is there a way to reset it?
I don't know. But I guess the Taxgirl is a bigger problem during endgame than security events.

There is no way to reset threat short of cheating (i.e. the console). There is at least one security event that reduces threat level, but it's random and not reliable.

But there are ways to manage threat generation, namely hiring more goons, managing girl schedules to minimise workers per day, and spending gold to reduce gold threat. I suggest paying the stock resource market. Buy cheap, sell high, that makes your losses from conversion relatively manageable. I don't recall the exact numbers off-hand, but I think you lose only 1/3 or 1/4 of your money per gold -> resource -> gold transaction when taking advantage of price fluctuations.

Is there a New Game +?
No. Kinda hard to imagine how it'd work, even.

For some reason, threat is tied to the amount of gold you have...
The thieves heard you're rich? You're footing the bills for all these fun brawls? Monsters are attracted to the scent of gold? :p

...so you have to diligently and tediously seek out the small opportunities to waste money.
Eh, there are bigger money sinks these days, too. Restocking and upgrading the shops. The resource market, as I said earlier. The Taxgirl robbing you blind. The Headhunter, maybe? I'm not sure how she scales to vanilla pricing and income.

Anarys

Aug 1, 2020
Eh, there are bigger money sinks these days, too. Restocking and upgrading the shops. The resource market, as I said earlier. The Taxgirl robbing you blind. The Headhunter, maybe? I'm not sure how she scales to vanilla pricing and income.
[/QUOTE]

Where is the headhunter? I must have missed them somehow.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
is a (small part of a) mod. I am not sure if I'm going to continue developing her since the old feedback thread died and took a bunch of ideas with it, and for other reasons as well. She should be relatively stable.

Star Study

Feb 15, 2021
What makes you think there will be one, ever?
Because it is not that hard of a thing to create. Someone could provide all of the achievements that they have gathered and note which ones they have not gotten in case someone knows what achievement they are missing (if no one does it then I will I guess), or Goldo could release the list of achievements because he knows them all.

It will be a good thing to have because not only does it show progress, but it also will indicate by missing achievements that the player has missed or is missing content.

__neronero

Jan 23, 2021
Because it is not that hard of a thing to create. Someone could provide all of the achievements that they have gathered and note which ones they have not gotten in case someone knows what achievement they are missing (if no one does it then I will I guess), or Goldo could release the list of achievements because he knows them all.

It will be a good thing to have because not only does it show progress, but it also will indicate by missing achievements that the player has missed or is missing content.
Sounds good to me! There is a , but that was created for BK 0.15 and predates achievements. You can find the full list of achievements in /game/BKachievements.rpy - open it in any text editor such as notepad

Reactions: hewhocumsbynight

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Because it is not that hard of a thing to create. Someone could...
Alas, a lot of things that could be done and are easy to do still stumble on finding that someone.

...Goldo could release the list of achievements because he knows them all.
As __neronero said, there already is a Goldo-approved list of achievements in the form of BKachievements.rpy. There are also similar lists of traits, perks, items and whatnot. Still, nobody has converted these into a non-code guide. Make of that what you will.

If you want to step up yourself, we will all approve of your sacrifice. :)

fogginstance

Apr 11, 2019
The thieves heard you're rich? You're footing the bills for all these fun brawls? Monsters are attracted to the scent of gold? :p
The same could be said of any upper-class business in-universe, or even the nobility, but it's never mentioned how other well-to-dos in the story are fending off thousands of beggar raiders every single night despite surely having a larger treasury than you.

And even if it was justified, the constant raids commits the cardinal sin of not being fun. If raids are going to be constant, they should be more than a "save-or-suck" dice roll. At the very least, you should be able to hire more security. You have an arbitrary cap on how many guards you can hire, but there's no such cap on the threat from gold.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Jman9 and KL-001-A

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Where are you getting thousands of beggar raiders? Raiders/sieges are independent of customer populations and happen only once per night at most.

Otherwise, there's a 2% chance that any given beggar gets uppity, so even a single thousand requires you to invite tens of thousands of them, and banning the more lucrative types who keep the numbers down.

What the exact in-game justifications are, I don't know. I can come up with reasoning supporting both sides, so that's irrelevant at the moment.

And even if it was justified, the constant raids commits the cardinal sin of not being fun.
But the point is that if you're on the ball with security, the bad security events are not constant. They need the threat level to go up once or twice (twice for raids and sieges), and threat itself to accumulate somewhat. Getting a 'threat escalates' event is by no means guaranteed or even likely on any single night. And lower-level events reset threat back to zero.

Keeping goon numbers up will lower the occurrence of all security events that are not directly related to individual customers. Even during endgame, maxed goons+furniture allow you to employ ~19 girls per night with absolutely minimal threat increase (10 days to get the weakest security event).

In brief, I do not believe it is possible to get a single raid or siege per week with any consistency. Even brawls and assassins are somewhat questionable, and that's assuming excessive threat generation.

Also, what's not fun to you may not be so for others. Unless you have more concrete and factual criticisms, not much to be done with that bit of feedback.

If raids are going to be constant, they should be more than a "save-or-suck" dice roll.
But they are not. Which is actually one of my pet peeves with them. Once you've rolled an event, there is nothing else random in there.

You can also mitigate them. Raids and sieges are their own mini-events with choices and stuff, depending on your MC, your girls, etc. The others... Well, in theory you can mitigate or even eliminate them by hiring enough goons and upgrading your security buildings. In practice, this is so overtuned that you need max or near-max goons and furniture for even the first level of mitigation, and the second (elimination) requires a rather beefy MC to patrol alongside the others.

So, yeah... Bad balancing, perhaps, but a single dice roll they are not.

At the very least, you should be able to hire more security. You have an arbitrary cap on how many guards you can hire, but there's no such cap on the threat from gold.
Every 'realistic' building has an 'arbitrary' cap on how much physical security can be reasonably placed in or around it. :)

You are also wrong about there being no gold cap:
Code:
            if gt > gold_threat_max[game.chapter]:
                return gold_threat_max[game.chapter]

Now, the actual number of goons you can hire is a bit limiting, but I imagine it's a balancing mechanism more than anything. OhWee's mod had 'extra help barracks' in it, so I imagine one could lobby for more goons. Or more effective goons, or less threat from girls working part-time, or... But I guess one would need to use the new forum for this, since I imagine Goldo is still not reading this place here much if at all (and with some reason).

Now, if your problem was not raiders but beggars, that's different. And the answer to that is to quit inviting beggars and start inviting princes. :p And keeping security at 'low' or maybe a tiny bit worse to get goons to handle the arsonists and girl-beaters with zero issues.

TLDR: You have tools to mitigate the security situation. Not using them and then complaining about 'no fun' when the consequences catch up with you is not nice.

Last edited:
Reactions: selberdreher

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Then the proper way to ask is without the "...yet?", which implies an expectation/obligation placed on the community.

Ego Orb

Apr 20, 2018
Is the weapon rack brothel upgrade supposed to grant you a point of strength? Mine went up to 4 from 3 after building one, but it only mentioned "brothel defense" in the description for it, not strength.

Also, there has been a little bug present for the last few versions that makes it so the main character's lines don't play when a girl asks you why you're punishing her, just a blank screen. I assume you guys are aware of it by now, but I figured I'd mention it anyway.

Last edited:
  • Thinking Face
Reactions: Jman9

Leortha

Jun 25, 2019
Also, there has been a little bug present for the last few versions that makes it so the main character's lines don't play when a girl asks you why you're punishing her, just a blank screen. I assume you guys are aware of it by now, but I figured I'd mention it anyway.
I'd not seen mention of it before today, but someone else posted about that bug on the new BK home forum earlier today. SO it's been brought to Goldo's attention.

Reactions: Jman9

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Is the weapon rack brothel upgrade supposed to grant you a point of strength? Mine went up to 4 from 3 after building one, but it only mentioned "brothel defense" in the description for it, not strength.
It's debatable. All 'brothel' effects affect the MC, so it could be intended. I can see him grabbing an extra dagger from the rack to boost his combat ability while at the brothel... but that same boost persists outside as well.

Probably should report this. I have a of dim memory of something similar being reported a long time ago, but since the old forums aren't there any more...

4.60 star(s) 44 Votes