Ren'Py Brothel King [v0.2] [Goldo]

4.60 star(s) 44 Votes

sargelvein98

Nov 29, 2019
Been a while since I've played this game. as such i decided to do a clean reinstall including girl packs and mods. tho i managed to get the game running mostly, it took multiple tries to actually get it running. I've added a traceback file for review
I also added a female player character for kicks

vadi9203

Aug 2, 2019
For infinite loop you cant really do anything. It's mostly happens for me when the game is lagging heavily.

YaBoiDeath

Sep 20, 2021
Is it possible for there to be a future update that adds a mode that purely the brothel management and training without the story, where you can continue to grow your brothel without needing to jump through quests and instead just upgrade your brothel and brothel license with gold?

Jul 21, 2020
Is it possible for there to be a future update that adds a mode that purely the brothel management and training without the story, where you can continue to grow your brothel without needing to jump through quests and instead just upgrade your brothel and brothel license with gold?
Yeah, in fact Goldo's said he's adding that to 0.3

Reactions: Ego Orb

selberdreher

Dec 29, 2017
I just hope the storyline / quests get some more content too. While the brothel management part is ofc interesting and necessary, my motivation for this stems mainly from the quests and the story NPCs.
My weekly gaming sessions with that little half-demon loli chaos priestress are just too hilarious to miss!

Last edited:

AustinGreatCat

Jun 18, 2022
Unfortunately the link in the faq.txt file ingame does not work anymore. Can somebody explain how i can create girl mixes from the folder structure as 200 folders just containing names is a bit messy. Thanks a lot!!

Leortha

Jun 25, 2019
Unfortunately the link in the faq.txt file ingame does not work anymore. Can somebody explain how i can create girl mixes from the folder structure as 200 folders just containing names is a bit messy. Thanks a lot!!
Just preface the directory names for organizational folders with a plus sign (+). folders that start with a plus sign will be treated as organizational, rather than as girl packs themselves.

Reactions: selberdreher

FruitSmoothie

Jan 22, 2019
Oh cool, I'll wait for that then. Story often ruins these types of games for me. I've been putting off trying this specifically because I heard some people complaining about the forced story stuff, so I'm looking forward to that change.

Reminds me of how much I enjoyed Strive for Power when it was still early beta before the story existed. Just going around and fighting and capturing girls and doing whatever. Exploring and finding out where all the monster girls were and capturing them, finding the best ways to level up and make gold, etc etc, was entertaining enough, then the story stuff came in and gated all that freedom. That completely tanked my enthusiasm for the game. Sometimes people try to force that linear progression shit too much because they think it will add to the game but it really subtracts from it. It's kind of like how achievements in games make people play more, but they enjoy the game less because they're doing shit they don't want to do.

Always gotta be careful about shit that starts to make your game feel more like a job than a game. It's not always obvious or clear cut and depends greatly on the type of game.

Last edited:

ek1231234

Dec 2, 2020
Tried it all and am at a stop:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "game/BKchapter1.rpy", line 2831, in script
return
Exception: Could not find return label (u'game/BKevents.rpy', 1670696649, 17992).

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "game/BKchapter1.rpy", line 2831, in script
return
File "/private/var/folders/1v/x3n11_bn14sf17ymx0fkyt240000gn/T/AppTranslocation/B5627D14-B37C-430E-AAEF-E16834BB9A5A/d/Brothel_King.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/ast.py", line 1567, in execute
next_node(renpy.game.context().lookup_return(pop=True))
File "/private/var/folders/1v/x3n11_bn14sf17ymx0fkyt240000gn/T/AppTranslocation/B5627D14-B37C-430E-AAEF-E16834BB9A5A/d/Brothel_King.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/execution.py", line 710, in lookup_return
raise Exception("Could not find return label {!r}.".format(self.return_stack[-1]))
Exception: Could not find return label (u'game/BKevents.rpy', 1670696649, 17992).

Darwin-21.5.0-x86_64-i386-64bit
Ren'Py 7.4.10.2178
Brothel King 0.2 v220711
Sun Dec 11 20:18:43 2022
Swapped my decisions, tried rollback, old saves etc - and can't get forward from thieve's guild's point after handling both captives :/

__neronero

Jan 23, 2021
Tried it all and am at a stop:

Swapped my decisions, tried rollback, old saves etc - and can't get forward from thieve's guild's point after handling both captives :/
Someone ran into this before. Likely caused by saving in the middle of an event, then updating the game, then loading that old save.

The solution was to load an older (auto)save that wasn't made during an event, but I guess you've already tried that :/

Another solution could be to load the save with the older version of BK in which it was made, but it's not like we've got a comprehensive archive of older versions handy, so that's tricky too.

DougTheC said:
From info on Lemmasoft, it seems your call return stack is broken.

Some ways for that to happen are:
  • Loading an old save from prior version that was made during an event (Saves recommended on brothel main screen)
  • Having auto-refresh of compiled code, and having game open when installing patch/editing .rpy files
Try loading an earlier save that was not made during an event.

Reactions: DougTheC

KL-001-A

Dec 16, 2019
Oh cool, I'll wait for that then. Story often ruins these types of games for me. I've been putting off trying this specifically because I heard some people complaining about the forced story stuff, so I'm looking forward to that change.

Reminds me of how much I enjoyed Strive for Power when it was still early beta before the story existed. Just going around and fighting and capturing girls and doing whatever. Exploring and finding out where all the monster girls were and capturing them, finding the best ways to level up and make gold, etc etc, was entertaining enough, then the story stuff came in and gated all that freedom. That completely tanked my enthusiasm for the game. Sometimes people try to force that linear progression shit too much because they think it will add to the game but it really subtracts from it.
This, in both cases. SfP was a bigger one since they slowly drifted the game from being focused on having all these custom characters with your own custom images, to having a bunch of NPCs with premade designs that cost the dev a bunch of time and money to add to the game, and a lot of the game's sandbox appeal took a back seat. IIRC the second game is doubling down on the latter, but I haven't checked.

In the case of Brothel King, the story isn't enjoyable, I never liked any of the characters, and there were all these dumb hurdles and gates and walls in your way, and plots full of things the player can't actually control/prevent, preventing you from actually PLAYING the game. I'll cheer when the game gets a sandbox mode, or a mode that guts out all the story content.

Dishonorable mention to Lilith's Throne, a game where it was originally a sandbox set in a huge city; the dev decided to add a bunch of new locations and a dodgy story that makes the player do a bunch of things they don't necessarily want to do, for a plot that the player themselves isn't particularly invested in. (The game's plot is that you're sucked into an alternate/parallel(?) world full of sexy demons and furries and whatever else, and that you want to go back. Why the literal FUCK would the player want their character to leave a sexy place full of fun customization, a mansion full of your slaves/wives/husbands, and unlimited magic to do things to people?)

Reactions: Bricecube

__neronero

Jan 23, 2021
Goldo recently exactly how barebones a sandbox mode should be.

Goldo said:
It's an open question I have: How much story should I take out of the 'no-story' mode? So far I've gone with disabling most of the one-off events, whether they relate to the main questline or not, because I assume people just want to play without being interrupted by events.

But another route would be to allow most one-off events to happen, just not the main story line. I'm not sure which option people are thinking of when they ask for 'no-story'.

vadi9203

Aug 2, 2019
Another solution could be to load the save with the older version of BK in which it was made, but it's not like we've got a comprehensive archive of older versions handy, so that's tricky too.
I have some of the patch from older versions. Just we should know wich was the date for the version he used before updating it and i can post it.

Daemmerwind

Aug 30, 2021
I stumbled over this game and I love it!
Especially the girl packs.
Now I read there is a bonanza mod(?) that adds a lot of new sexy traits...

But the only mod I can find is the one called trait king. (which also is great, I'm having a lot of fun ^^)
I'm thinking about adding some traits that fits my kinks...
So I'm opening the BKtraits.rpy and can simply add my traits in one of the three columns, right?
(I know there is a manual in the file but I was not able to find out was the dictionary means.)
Maybe some of you could help?

Reactions: __neronero
4.60 star(s) 44 Votes