Ren'Py Brothel King [v0.2] [Goldo]

4.60 star(s) 44 Votes

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
Unfortunately grid overfull is unpredictable, it shows up when we hover the mouse on one of a girl stats or sex skills, no metter which girl, no matter which stat. But as I said above it depends on a cumulation of factors: the action causing the bug is just the tip of the iceberg of instructions ren'py cumulated before it, at a point that the engine can't handle all of them anymore and causes game crash. It's not clear yet if it depeneds on memory loss or misusage, or it's all another story.

Good news though: when you encounter grid overfull, try to rollback until you are in game once again; save and exit BK; restart BK and load your save, with a bit of luck you won't see it for a long time.
Too soon for me to say for sure but after changing my mouse so that the mouse wheel is semi locked instead of able to spin freely I have had zero crashes up through Chapter 4. I can still turn it but it spins in incremental clicks and never accidently like it did when it was unlocked.

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
Zargon did you raise MC stats too much?

khumak that's an important info, it may help us to better understand why the bug shows up and eventually avoid it, well done :)

daff3ww not yet, maybe in future when there will be more content and, more important, less bugs

zingo7

May 25, 2018
What is the difference between simple training and magical training? Are they the same?

I've noticed, whenever I uses magical training- the Odds are way better. It increases stats and Love but at the same time it increases fear. When using non-magical training- it kinda feels slower.

Question- when does next update usually lands? ETA? Is it a monthly thing?

Bugs:

*) When you first open the game and go to gallery- it often crashes. You have to load up your game first then go to menu- then you can view gallery with no crash. (I have all your girls downloaded bdw)

*) There is a rare Farm bug. When a girl has finished her training on a set goal. And If she acquired a negative fixation. AND if you hover over her stats on the left side- the game will sometimes crash. It will not crash if you do not hover over her stats.

*) There is an UI bug. If you feed your girl some skill points and there are leftovers. The "pinging" girl will flash in main lobby. If you click on it sometimes it shows level up, sometimes it shows nothing.

**) Sometimes when that girl levels up a level that skill-point is dragged along- you can use all skill points except that 1 or 2 that are stuck with her.

*) The workshop area- that displays what people can visit your "establishment" the last column is out of screen. (1080rez)

*) Kinda bug. If your girl reaches level ceiling (5, 10, 15 etc) and if you use skill points on her or XP- that item is wasted. The game does not tell you that or does not stop you.

Suggestions:

*) That guy who comes to you time to time to show off his latest "deed" is kinda annoying! Its an event yes, but Ive seen it 100 times now and you can not punch him, free his latest "victim", nada. You have to watch each and one of his episodes over and over again and forever.

*) When you are interacting with a girl with items- there is no way to see her stats. You have to close the screen and head back to check her stats. For example you want to level up geisha stats. You can not see that stat from item screen.

*) There should be more info about gifts. What a particular gift and its level does to a girl. I can buy simple shoes or legendary shoes and gift to the girl. Makes no difference.

*) The wardrobe or Cloth shop is kinda meaningless. Often it does not have good items and when it does you kinda wonder- is it worth it. Maybe some balance here is needed.

*) More music?

*) How about a shared job bonus? If I have 3 waitresses and they are working together- would not there be a bonus? Like in real life- they work faster/ better/ quality etc.

**) Same goes to Group thing. Girl A + B serves clients C+ V+ D. C Currently only many clients can have 1 girl?

***) If a girl has skills in more than 1 majors- should she not help in those majors? For example. If I have waitress with geisha as expert. Should she not be doing her waitress job and then when she has time tend to Geisha duties? Currently the job is fixed. If a girl has other attributes- only 1 at a time is used.

Thats all for now

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
First crash I've seen in the farm so far. This is in Chapter 1 with nothing upgraded yet, just the initial stallion and 1 girl in the farm. Girl's name is ReenRee Mana in case that matters. Training is set to auto, hardest, auto, indefinite, fascinated, conservative.

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/BKendday.rpy", line 550, in script
    python:
  File "game/BKendday.rpy", line 552, in <module>
    farm_training_girls, farm_holding_girls, farm_resting_girls = farm.assign_girls(logging=True)
  File "game/BKfarm.rpy", line 1069, in assign_girls
    if self.assign_training(girl):
  File "game/BKfarm.rpy", line 1175, in assign_training
    if girl.will_do_farm_act(act, self.programs[girl].mode):
  File "game/BKgirlclass.rpy", line 491, in will_do_farm_act
    score = self.preferences[act] + self.get_stat("obedience") + self.get_stat("libido")//2 + self.get_love() + self.get_fear()
KeyError: u'portrait'

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "game/BKendday.rpy", line 550, in script
    python:
  File "D:\stuff\Downloads\Brothel_King_015b\Brothel_King-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 862, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "D:\stuff\Downloads\Brothel_King_015b\Brothel_King-pc\renpy\python.py", line 1912, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec bytecode in globals, locals
  File "game/BKendday.rpy", line 552, in <module>
    farm_training_girls, farm_holding_girls, farm_resting_girls = farm.assign_girls(logging=True)
  File "game/BKfarm.rpy", line 1069, in assign_girls
    if self.assign_training(girl):
  File "game/BKfarm.rpy", line 1175, in assign_training
    if girl.will_do_farm_act(act, self.programs[girl].mode):
  File "game/BKgirlclass.rpy", line 491, in will_do_farm_act
    score = self.preferences[act] + self.get_stat("obedience") + self.get_stat("libido")//2 + self.get_love() + self.get_fear()
KeyError: u'portrait'

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.0.0.196
Brothel King 0.15b
Wed Oct 02 15:03:03 2019

Leortha

Jun 25, 2019
A request from the core developer. Any responses posted here can be copied over to the HHS forum for him to see...

I have a request for people who run into the 'grid overfull' bug.

Could you run this check for me in the console (shift+O):
- type 'all_sex_acts' and press enter: What does it say?
- type 'extended_sex_acts' and press enter: What does it say?
This would help me narrow the cause down (maybe)

Reactions: Reij

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
khumak that farm bug probably will be fixed after farm revamp; I never got it personally, so don't know what I can suggest you to get rid of it, try a rollback and see if it happens every time you get there.

zingo7 many of the bad things you reported depend on low resolution screen, try a wider one (1380x760 for example) and see if everything get better (it should).

*) When you first open the game and go to gallery- it often crashes. You have to load up your game first then go to menu- then you can view gallery with no crash. (I have all your girls downloaded bdw)
I think that bug was reported long ago, but since gameplay bugs are more urgent, it's still around. It will be fixed, don't worry.
*) There is a rare Farm bug. When a girl has finished her training on a set goal. And If she acquired a negative fixation. AND if you hover over her stats on the left side- the game will sometimes crash. It will not crash if you do not hover over her stats.
Is it a "grid overfull" bug? In that case we're already on it.
*) There is an UI bug. If you feed your girl some skill points and there are leftovers. The "pinging" girl will flash in main lobby. If you click on it sometimes it shows level up, sometimes it shows nothing.
**) Sometimes when that girl levels up a level that skill-point is dragged along- you can use all skill points except that 1 or 2 that are stuck with her.
It depends on the fact that the function which manages stat raising can handle even decimal numbers, but always shows integers; sometimes you see a "1" but can't spend it for a girl's skill, it means that it's not really 1 but a lesser number. Not a bug then, but still something which can be improved in future.
*) That guy who comes to you time to time to show off his latest "deed" is kinda annoying! Its an event yes, but Ive seen it 100 times now and you can not punch him, free his latest "victim", nada. You have to watch each and one of his episodes over and over again and forever.
You may be one among many who would punch Kosmo in his face every time he shows up, but don't worry: press ctrl and the event will last just a few seconds.

About items and gifs: they are randomly assigend to shops every monday, no matter which level MC has reached; the only factor influencing item levels is chapter progression: the higher the chapter reached, the better the items in the stores.
gifts don't have any info because they only increase love, how much depends on gift level (the higher, the more). It's a dev's choice not to show player how much certain things and interactions change a girl's stats (items are not the only ones).

Magic training also affects fear because girls lose trust in MC after each hypnosis (who would like to be mentally tricked to do anything?); while normal training success depends on an obedience test, magic training is a clash of willpowers and with a lot of Spirit it can be 100% succesful, so MC doesn't risk to lose time and actions. For the rest, training is similar to normal.

There are perks which allow girls to share experience with others. In case of group sex, all clients involved get laid, even if text doesn't show it properly.

surpurdurd

Nov 21, 2018
Getting consistent crashes when I mouse over the 4 sex type options on any girls page. Any idea if this is fixable?

zingo7

May 25, 2018
Hmm

I have a monitor with 1920x1080

send1.png

This is the UI bug for text in Customer tab

send 2.png

And this is how the game looks on Fullscreen (1920x1080) With 2 black bars on sides

*) Not sure about that "grid overfull" . It only happens when a girl aquires a negative trait and you immediately hover over it when her training has finished. It could be

*) Ahh I see perks. Hmm Unless I get a perk or its not doable thats a con. Maybe a passive bonus for similar jobs.

*) Hmm. Is there not a spell that forgets? Why there is a penalty for magic acts and not normal ones? Manipulation with sweet talk- smart girls would know- they would not like that alas no penalty.

Also With Magic training you can train Obedience, sensitivity and libido but with normal one only Obedience and Constitution.

There is an alternative- Farm- but girls hate Farm in general.

I believe this is mainly due to pros-con balance but it still feels if a player favours magic he gets more penalties than pros.

Last edited:

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
Try the resolution I told you, I'm afraid 1920x1080 is too much wide for BK, but what I don't understand is why it crops the game screen that way, with so much resolution it should appear totally different, like zoomed too much out. I'll inform Goldo about that behavior, unfortunately my screen doesn't reach that resolution and can't confirm if it happens everytime.

surpurdurd do you get a "grid overfull" report? If so, try to search for my previous posts about that bug.

DarkN00b

Mar 17, 2019
Hmm

I have a monitor with 1920x1080

View attachment 417943

This is the UI bug for text in Customer tab

View attachment 417944

And this is how the game looks on Fullscreen (1920x1080) With 2 black bars on sides

*) Not sure about that "grid overfull" . It only happens when a girl aquires a negative trait and you immediately hover over it when her training has finished. It could be

*) Ahh I see perks. Hmm Unless I get a perk or its not doable thats a con. Maybe a passive bonus for similar jobs.

*) Hmm. Is there not a spell that forgets? Why there is a penalty for magic acts and not normal ones? Manipulation with sweet talk- smart girls would know- they would not like that alas no penalty.

Also With Magic training you can train Obedience, sensitivity and libido but with normal one only Obedience and Constitution.

There is an alternative- Farm- but girls hate Farm in general.

I believe this is mainly due to pros-con balance but it still feels if a player favours magic he gets more penalties than pros.

I have the same resolution and I have no problems. I can try to replicate this though

Do you use any mods?
Since when did this start happening?

zingo7

May 25, 2018
I have the same resolution and I have no problems. I can try to replicate this though

Do you use any mods?
Since when did this start happening?
@Kite80

Ive attached my log file below. In there there is this line

Code:
primary display bounds: (0, 0, 1920, 1080)

swap interval: 1 frames

Fullscreen mode.

Screen sizes: virtual=(1024, 768) physical=(1920, 1080) drawable=(1920, 1080)

Vendor: 'NVIDIA Corporation'

Renderer: 'GeForce GTX 980 Ti/PCIe/SSE2'

Version: '4.6.0 NVIDIA 436.02'

Display Info: <Info({'blit_sw_CC': False, 'refresh_rate': 144, 'bitsize': 32, 'wm': True, 'losses': (0, 0, 0, 8), 'hw': False, 'masks': (16711680L, 65280L, 255L, 0L), 'current_h': 1080, 'current_w': 1920, 'shifts': (16, 8, 0, 0), 'blit_sw_A': False, 'blit_hw': False, 'blit_sw': False, 'bytesize': 4, 'blit_hw_CC': False, 'blit_hw_A': False, 'video_mem': 268435456})>
It seems the game has decided 1024/768 is max

@DarkN00b

It has been like that from beginning. Thought it was supposed to look like that- many Ren'Py games have scaling issues.

No, no mods. Just the downloaded game from post 1

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
Are the higher levels of relationship status with the girls only achieveable with gifts? The best I've ever gotten any of them by just the conversation topics is likes you a lot. Also some of the girls don't seem to have an option to do the advanced training for certain types of sex even after all of their negative fixations have been removed. Is the farm the only option to get that type of sex act available when they're a whore? Some of the girls I've got the skill bar maxed out for that sex act and it's still greyed out and unavailable for advanced training.

Duke Greene

Feb 6, 2018
Girls need a positive or negative fixation in order to do advanced training (or both). If they have nothing at all then you can't do it.

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
zingo7 you found the problem, your ren'py engine stacks at a low resolution, so here's what we can do to bypass it: open bksettings.rpy (with notepad is ok, with editra even better), in the first few lines look at those code lines:

Code:
#### SCREEN RESOLUTION & PERFORMANCE ####

## These control the width and height of the screen.

config.screen_width = 1366
    config.screen_height = 768
1366x768 is my current resolution, if you get 1080x768 change those numbers with your screen resolution (only the numbers, don't change the rest), then save and exit. Try to restart the game and let me know if it worked.

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
khumak love can increase with any positive interaction - gifts, praises, having sex with the girl - but keep in mind that there's a capped value for each rank, it means only girls with X rank can reach the highest love value - but you get the best love status far before, don't worry; when a girl worships you and you are everything to her, that's the top love status. If I'm not mistaken, even rank A girls can reach it.

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
khumak love can increase with any positive interaction - gifts, praises, having sex with the girl - but keep in mind that there's a capped value for each rank, it means only girls with X rank can reach the highest love value - but you get the best love status far before, don't worry; when a girl worships you and you are everything to her, that's the top love status. If I'm not mistaken, even rank A girls can reach it.
Ok thanks. Rank seemed to also fix my issue of having certain skills greyed out, once I ranked them up I could raise their skills higher and eventually it wasn't greyed out anymore.

zingo7

May 25, 2018
@Kite80

Is it hardcoded to 1304x978? I did the necessary changes in "BKsettings.rpy"- saved and restarted. Still black bars on sides.
It feels a bit smoother but. There is also encrypted "BKsettings.rpyc" which I can not read.

Are there any other options? I have GTX 980 TI and Asus VG278HE monitor, win 10 pro.

@Duke Greene

Someone said you just need to talk talk and talk to them until they create "positive or negative fixation in order to do advanced training "- is this correct? I have a couple of girls rank X and i would like to unlock the advanced training not sell them.

Duke Greene

Feb 6, 2018
@Duke Greene

Someone said you just need to talk talk and talk to them until they create "positive or negative fixation in order to do advanced training "- is this correct? I have a couple of girls rank X and i would like to unlock the advanced training not sell them.
Some girls just don't have any fixation at all for certain acts, and there's nothing you can do about it. You'll never be able to do advanced training for this act with this specific girl.

(Unless a patch changed it - I may be a bit behind)

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
I found it amusing that I got hit by the "just 1 more turn..." effect with this game this morning like I used to with classic turn based games like Civ. Started playing after work and next thing I know the birds are chirping and it's 5am. Managed to get a not so refreshing 3 hours of sleep before work today...

Reactions: Reij
4.60 star(s) 44 Votes