Ren'Py Brothel King [v0.2] [Goldo]

4.60 star(s) 44 Votes

vadi9203

Aug 2, 2019
View attachment 1445791

someone knows how to finish that goal. ive still met all 3. Not sure whats the right dialogue there (im playing in hard mode is a bit more challenging than it was before)
You need to meet the Kunoichi's 3 time. The 3rd time so far unwinnable. But if you only want to get past chapter2 just meet Haruka 3 time in the prison area talk to the old geezer and you can move on.

phupdup

Oct 24, 2019
I was about to go in and sabotage the minigame code when I saw the comments in it about the 3rd time. There really should be an option in the preferences to bypass the damn thing. As it was, I now have a bunch of useless intercept thingees in my inventory.

You need to meet the Kunoichi's 3 time. The 3rd time so far unwinnable. But if you only want to get past chapter2 just meet Haruka 3 time in the prison area talk to the old geezer and you can move on.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
I'm expecting LMB to do what every other Renpy game usually does. ... It's like getting used to doing a power attack with a knife in one game with a specific combo. Then you move to another where it makes you throw the knife instead.
I've lost count of games where I had to remap various keys and mouse buttons because the default keymap sucked. I've never felt crippled after exiting such a game and launching another, or resuming work. Maybe a little annoyed at having to switch profiles.

Edit: Also, I don't know what your problem with ESC is. It's been one of the default keybinds for game menu for at least the entirety of version 7 (Pause was added at some point after 7.0.0):
00keymap.rpy said:
game_menu = [ 'K_ESCAPE', 'K_MENU', 'K_PAUSE', 'mouseup_3' ]
\Edit

You'd think they'd put patch rev numbers on the game patch files at least.
Rejoice, for Goldo has started to use internal version numbers in the last few months. Console 'config.version' to see what it is. For the longest damn time, we had nothing.

There really should be an option in the preferences to bypass the damn thing. As it was, I now have a bunch of useless intercept thingees in my inventory.
What's wrong with buying your way out of the minigame? And can't you sell the caltrops back?

That being said, I also sabotaged the minigame after going through with it once to see how it works. I'm not sure why solo devs occasionally get the urge to add minigames and waste their time (and the players'). Maybe it's some kind of programmer virus, and I'll catch it too in a few years' time. :unsure:

Last edited:

Leortha

Jun 25, 2019
Ug.... You'd think they'd put patch rev numbers on the game patch files at least. I'd hate to have to use SHA or MD5 to figure out which is which.
I cannot tell you why, but Goldo has always had an aversion to version numbers outside of the major revisions.

We finally got him to add internal version numbers to deal with one specific issue (versions that invalidate old save files), but those are only visible to the user when they are trying to load old saves.

phupdup

Oct 24, 2019
I've never tried to sell anything back. In just about every game involving a shop system the buy-sell mechanic is set up as a ratio where you always get screwed. I went in not knowing how many times I had to deal with the ninjas and didn't know about the level 3 lockout so ended up with the excess junk.

Relax about the minigame compulsion. I spent an entire career in sw and systems dev and never have once written an accursed minigame. Even if I did, it would probably be something like a doom game where player goes around shooting MBA toting managers. I'm sure there's hordes of minions over at Boeing who would be all over that action. :devilish:

What's wrong with buying your way out of the minigame? And can't you sell the caltrops back?

That being said, I also sabotaged the minigame after going through with it once to see how it works. I'm not sure why solo devs occasionally get the urge to add minigames and waste their time (and the players'). Maybe it's some kind of programmer virus, and I'll catch it too in a few years' time. :unsure:

• Haha
Reactions: Jman9

phupdup

Oct 24, 2019
Am I in some catch-22 situation with my labor pool and papa freak? His level 75 whoring requirements pretty much imply a Rank A whore. However I can't get any of my Rank B girls updated until I get to the next brothel level. And I get the sinking feeling that I can't do that until I bring him a whore who's good enough. The best one I have right now is only 45 or better in the charm/beauty/body categories. I've maxed the constitution on all of my girls in order to keep them working and providing a steady cash flow. Running into this gated situation without knowledge beforehand when developing girls leaves me contemplating a wade into the code so I can nerf the hell out of his taste levels.

phupdup

Oct 24, 2019
The resource extractor thing you can buy seems like a mess. We're buying a dedicated machine that probably would be ripping a ship apart at the breaker yard in seconds, yet it only yields one unit of wood per day? Meanwhile our meatbag mc is able to grab about an order of magnitude more? I don't think so. Also I bought and plopped down another one for leather, but now the only daily message I see is the gathering of 1 leather. I haven't gone back to check whether this is just a case of popups not showing every event, or whether the system only considers a single collection in action at a time.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
I've never tried to sell anything back.
The Trader class actually gets pretty good prices once his Haggler perk starts kicking in. At one point in development, he could even sell items for more than they cost! That's sadly been discontinued, (Nope, it isn't!) but the prices are 60% for selling, 100% for buying and 75% for buying from the thieves or the Captain.

...now that I'm looking at it again, it seems that the Trader can still do super-haggling. Base buy price is 100%, you get a multiplicative bonus of 18 * -2% = -36% for a 18 charisma, bounded from below by 75%. So 100% * 64% and capped at 75%. Base sell price is 60% and Traders get a similar bonus of up to 18 * 2% = 36%, bounded from above by 125%. Which makes the best deals 60%*136% = 81.6% (< 125%) and you get a profit margin of 81.6/75 = 8.8%. Not bad!

I guess Goldo forgot to bound the 36% bonus instead of the total bonus.

...I'm not sure I want to tell him. :sneaky: I liked that effect, and made an OP version for my own mod, even if I never play Traders myself.

Am I in some catch-22 situation... level 75 whoring... Rank A whore.
No. Rank B girls can have up to 100 in a stat. You can dress her up, level up the jobs, procure some stat food and send her to classes. I think classes can even put her above 100. I kinda looked and it seemed entirely doable. I was also shocked at how easy it is to power level your girls in vanilla. Well, that's kind of a repeat occurrence now. :D

The resource extractor thing you can buy seems like a mess.

Meanwhile our meatbag mc is able to grab about an order of magnitude more?
Did Goldo change this back from weekly MC scavenging, or never went weekly in the first place? The overabundance of resources is also one of my pet peeves, because it's stupidly unbalanced and makes the resource market merely a curiosity. Extractors producing 1/day is very nice when you're getting 1-3 per week of each otherwise, like I do. :sneaky:

I haven't gone back to check whether this is just a case of popups not showing every event...
Yes. Ren'Py notifications kinda crash into each other. I've had quite a bit of trouble because of that, since the one easy way to stack them is pausing, and that's annoying as hell.

phupdup

Oct 24, 2019
But if I get past this last thing, do I FINALLY get to move up? This whole Rank B to Rank A transition has been one PITA quest after another when it was just accumulate $5k in the old version. I realize Rank B stats go up to 100, but my emphasis on constitution without knowing that this was going to bite me in the ass has left me with a bunch of Level 10 Rank B girls that have at least a 25 point deficit or more in each of the three required stats. Since I can't get the points by leveling right now (which would be at least 5 or so levels), that's going to be a shitload of classes. And how long is that going to take?

This gate should take into account the number of points worth of sexual experience, libido for eagerness and constitution for her ability to give an old codger an everready bunny that will sex him into a coronary.

No. Rank B girls can have up to 100 in a stat. You can dress her up, level up the jobs, procure some stat food and send her to classes. I think classes can even put her above 100. I kinda looked and it seemed entirely doable. I was also shocked at how easy it is to power level your girls in vanilla. Well, that's kind of a repeat occurrence now. :D

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
I realize Rank B stats go up to 100, but my emphasis on constitution without knowing that this was going to bite me in the ass has left me with a bunch of Level 10 Rank B girls that have at least a 25 point deficit or more in each of the three required stats. Since I can't get the points by leveling right now (which would be at least 5 or so levels), that's going to be a shitload of classes. And how long is that going to take?
You can usually get 1-2 points per night for doing jobs, and +15 for two job levels. That should patch at least one hole if not two. +15 stat food seems to be relatively available in chapter 2, and you should be nabbing at least one dress&panty combo for each stat, just for these kinds of situations.

You're kinda making me want to take this as a challenge. :D

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

phupdup

Oct 24, 2019
It's worse than I thought. He's checking for refinement of 75 too. I think I'll do a sum of points across all four and include libido and the four whore categories in the total and then look for a single threshold.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Edit:
Well I attempted to play this and it immediately errored. Anyone else got that?
What's the point of this post? Yes, people have gotten errors both because they fucked up and because Goldo did. Most of the problems have been resolved.

With no additional details, what are we supposed to tell you? Yes? No? Some of us did and others didn't?

\Edit

It's worse than I thought.
I think Goldo's reasoning is that the four primary stats are harder to raise than secondary ones (constitution, libido, etc) and having a high-class whore is a mark of you being ready to move on.

From the fluff side, that's an old codger there. He needs to be aroused, and the actual act itself isn't all that important. He probably doesn't even remember his last time. :p

anotherone225

Jul 13, 2017
Edit:

What's the point of this post? Yes, people have gotten errors both because they fucked up and because Goldo did. Most of the problems have been resolved.

With no additional details, what are we supposed to tell you? Yes? No? Some of us did and others didn't?
Well apologies for not giving a lot of info but I was just wondering it if was only me. No need to be rude about it however.

Well more info the below is the error I got... and this was immediately after loading the game. Didn't even see a menu.

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "renpy/common/00start.rpy", line 309, in script call
    call expression "before_main_menu"
  File "game/BKevents.rpy", line 94, in script
    if not persistent.girl_mix["default"]:
  File "game/BKevents.rpy", line 94, in <module>
KeyError: u'default'

vadi9203

Aug 2, 2019
Well apologies for not giving a lot of info but I was just wondering it if was only me. No need to be rude about it however.

Well more info the below is the error I got... and this was immediately after loading the game. Didn't even see a menu.

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "renpy/common/00start.rpy", line 309, in script call
    call expression "before_main_menu"
  File "game/BKevents.rpy", line 94, in script
Do you have any girl pack in the girls folder? Without atleast 1 girl pack the game will hardly start.

Last edited:

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019

Well, okay, it's not just you. Reading a few pages back or searching the thread for the error would've told you that much and the solution besides. I take care to quote the relevant errors in my answers just for that.

Personally, I find this inclination to ask first without putting in any effort at all just as rude. I can understand not digging through 30 or 300 pages of thread for something you're not certain even exists. But not something that isn't even three days old and shows up as the fourth match on a search.

phupdup

Oct 24, 2019
So here's the gate:

Code:
    if girl.get_stat("beauty") < 75:
        papa "Hmm... I appreciate that you took the time to introduce this young lady..."
        papa "But she's not really my type."
        "[girl.fullname]'s {b}beauty{/b} is too low (75 minimum)."

elif girl.get_stat("body") < 75:
        papa "Hmm... I appreciate that you took the time to introduce this young lady..."
        papa "I just wish she had more curves, you know?"
        "[girl.fullname]'s {b}body{/b} is too low (75 minimum)."

elif girl.get_stat("charm") < 75:
        "[girl.name] squirms and grumbles excuses, and Papa Freak frowns."
        papa "Thank you for bringing this young lady to me, but I wish she was more charming."
        "[girl.fullname]'s {b}charm{/b} is too low (75 minimum)."

elif girl.get_stat("refinement") < 75:
        "[girl.name] squirms and grumbles excuses, and Papa Freak frowns."
        papa "Thank you for bringing this young person to me, but she isn't really lady-like."
        "[girl.fullname]'s {b}refinement{/b} is too low (75 minimum)."

else:

"Papa Freak proceeds to squeeze her breasts, rubbing her nipples through the fabric."
        play sound s_surprise
        girl.char "Aaah!"
        papa "Oh, she is really lovely..."
        papa "So this is true, then? I could have her all to myself, all night long?"
        you "Yes, of course... In exchange for selling me the house. That was the deal."

if girl.will_do("whore"):
            papa "Shall we do this, sweetie? You will be mine for the night?"
            girl.char "If Master [MC.name] says so..."
            papa "Off we go, then! Hahahahaha..."
            scene black with fade
            play sound s_moans_short
            $ act = rand_choice([a for a in all_sex_acts if girl.does[a]])
He does these insanely high attribute checks and then simply checks whether she does whoring. I'm calling "glass whore" here because we are probably going to have something tarted up with clothing, makeup, performance drugs and probably on the edge of death due to a non-existant constitution. We probably keep her in a glass case, and thus she knows nothing about what to do with manmeat other than how much to charge and how long to perform before time's up.

What I propose doing for the gate is to check for level 10 and then min levels of 50 for service, sex, obedience and libido. My reasoning goes like this:

Our brothel is in a working class district by the sea. Our clientele are mainly sailors and middle class because we finally got to the point where we can start kicking out the poor.

Our clientele is there to maybe have some drinks, watch a stripper and then get their rocks off. In fact, I named my joint the "Dock, Drink and Dick"

The best developed girls you can get out of that environment are level 10 street brawlers that can suck a golf ball through a garden hose and do cowgirl all night long without breaking a sweat. They eat geisha girls for breakfast. Their high libido shows that they love their job, and their above average obedience means that they won't have any problem following commands.

phupdup

Oct 24, 2019
Here's my updated BKchapter2.rpy where I added my customized gate as follows:

Code:
#
#  This is asking for way too much attractiveness and balance for a level 10 girl from a brothel on the docks
#

#    if girl.get_stat("beauty") < 75:
#        papa "Hmm... I appreciate that you took the time to introduce this young lady..."
#
#        papa "But she's not really my type."
#
#        "[girl.fullname]'s {b}beauty{/b} is too low (75 minimum)."
#
#    elif girl.get_stat("body") < 75:
#        papa "Hmm... I appreciate that you took the time to introduce this young lady..."
#
#        papa "I just wish she had more curves, you know?"
#
#        "[girl.fullname]'s {b}body{/b} is too low (75 minimum)."
#
#    elif girl.get_stat("charm") < 75:
#        "[girl.name] squirms and grumbles excuses, and Papa Freak frowns."
#
#        papa "Thank you for bringing this young lady to me, but I wish she was more charming."
#
#        "[girl.fullname]'s {b}charm{/b} is too low (75 minimum)."
#
#    elif girl.get_stat("refinement") < 75:
#        "[girl.name] squirms and grumbles excuses, and Papa Freak frowns."
#
#        papa "Thank you for bringing this young person to me, but she isn't really lady-like."
#
#    "[girl.fullname]'s {b}refinement{/b} is too low (75 minimum)."

#
    #  Phupdup's revised gate logic for this event
    #
    if girl.level < 10:
        papa "Hmm... I appreciate that you brought this young lady..."
        papa "But she doesn't seem to be class A material."
        "[girl.fullname]'s {b}level{/b} is too low (10 minimum)."

elif girl.get_stat("obedience") < 50:
        "[girl.name] frowns and looks away towards the door causing Papa Freak to frown."
        papa "Thank you for bringing this young lady but she needs a better attitude."
        "[girl.fullname]'s obedience is too low (50 minimum)."

elif girl.get_stat("libido") < 50:
        "[girl.name] doesn't seem to be too excited about the task at hand and looks at anyone else in the room."
        papa "I thank you for bringing this young lady, but she doesn't seem to be eager about things."
        "[girl.fullname]'s libido is too low (50 minimum)."

elif girl.get_stat("service") < 50:
        "[girl.name] looks at Papa's nether region and raises a tentative hand to her mouth."
        papa "Thank you for bringing this young lady, but she appears to be a bit hesitant about taking the matter at hand."
        "[girl.fullname]'s service experience is too low (50 minimum)"

elif girl.get_stat("sex") < 50:
        "[girl.name] squirms and absent mindedly moves a hand in front of her lower body."
        papa "Thank you for bringing this young lady, but she appears to be a little reluctant about getting a workout."
        "[girl.fullname]'s sex experience is too low (50 minimum)"

else:

phupdup

Oct 24, 2019
So that hack let me get into the Warehouse district and the 12 bedroom brothel. I feel even more justified in my gate logic since I still don't get the license for Class A ratings yet. I went in with over $35k in cash so could easily upgrade the beds to match the old brothel, expand the club, add an expanded tavern and add an Onsen for me to start looking for new massage therapists on the market. I remember on my old playthrough a while back, I had a severe cash crunch at this stage and had to cheat money. This time I have plenty of burn rate before the reputation and customer base builds back up. I didn't even consider getting geishas until I was at the 16 bed brothel where the noble farts would justify it. The problem with this new story arc is that it requires an Onsen and an Okiya to be installed to satisfy some scenes and plot points on the main story.

4.60 star(s) 44 Votes