GrumpyMatt

May 11, 2017
AM had to be delayed for another week (despite it soon will be 2 months of delay). Week passed, no game yet.
Camp pinewood had to be updated in half of august, no update (no i do not consider 1.5 as update, its more like downdate) and actually we had no updates since may, cuz june update was just a bugfix.
Some can even say that we hadnt update for almost a year, since previous updates were mostly converting old scenes to animations, rarely adding something new.
This is just friggin shameless, and i wonder how the hell he still have 2400+ patreons.
"BuT He iS maKInG 2 gEyMZ at A TIme aND tHuS wHy He iZ NOT MaKiNG em aT Time!"
If you have problem with relasing new updates for 1 game without delays, then do not start another one ffs!

Aesouh

Master Chief VNGineer
Modder
Game Developer
Sep 16, 2017
How is this a game? It's a glorified art gallery with like one frame per "scene", you just repeat talking to them, and then you get limited by amount of actions per day, then you play 1 secene where the dialogue is basically "Lets fuck?" "OK!" "Thanks"...?!

The quality of the art is good, thats what caught my attention, but its not exactly HD, regardless, its like each character might have 12 frames and that's the game, this is a day cycle simulator...

I enjoy the art that exists in there but this hardly qualifies as a game.

Edit:

I had to dig a bit deeper on this.

1. Does this game dev even make his own art, or is this commissioned work? This would explain why there is so little of it.

2. I looked at the code of the unity game, and this is some copy paste shit going on on so high level I don't even know. It's clear this person just bought an asset called "Utage"

There are also a bunch of other assets in this game that are just mashed together from other developers.

And then copy pasted stuff to make things work...

I really want to like this game, because i love the style, since it's a bunch of famous characters... I just think that this just looks like a cash grab and nothing more...

Please correct me if i am wrong, but the evidence does not look good.

Aesouh

Master Chief VNGineer
Modder
Game Developer
Sep 16, 2017
VaultMan does indeed make his own art.
But why are the scenes so thin then? I saw his message on the patreon, that they are placeholders for animations but come on, i mean this game has been in development for quite some time, having one scene and then 3 lines like "I want your ass" and then "ok" and "lets do it again" after 3 conversations and showing it in one frame, it's just... What?

The game is more of an art showcasing than a game

Reactions: Sususu

KeiranD

Aug 6, 2016
Because the dev refuses to have anything else. He won't write himself, he won't accept any help from others in writing scenes, and he says he's fine with the way it is now. He just doesn't want to.

Reactions: Morah SDG

Josh Spicer

Sep 19, 2018
which is better? unity or renpy?
In general? Ren'py. Unity would be more than okay if you're able to make a full game out of it. It's more lively and has more options than Ren'py, but Ren'py is so easy to work that you have to actively work to fuck it up.

For Pinewood? Unity.

Prim.

Jan 1, 2018
In general? Ren'py. Unity would be more than okay if you're able to make a full game out of it. It's more lively and has more options than Ren'py, but Ren'py is so easy to work that you have to actively work to fuck it up.

For Pinewood? Unity.
so whats the major vote for this game? most players uses unity or renpy?

Aesouh

Master Chief VNGineer
Modder
Game Developer
Sep 16, 2017

For Pinewood? Unity.
If doing things properly, emphasis on properly, either works, depends on what you need. I agree that for pinewood unity is the way to go, but the way it was done is not good. So far the game is on so small that you might not see to see how wrong things are done, but there is a reason why this hasn't been scaled up or done differently, he basically capped his own legs already at the start.

It's not really fair to compare unity with renpy either, you could compare renpy to unity+fungus, fungus is sort of the unity equivalent of ren'py, made for making visual novels, there are other VN toolkits, or assets as they are called in unity, that people use. This guy uses Utage for example, another similar thing that is "visual" game development, you drag and drop things and use sliders and buttons to make your game basically.

If you just want to go for the basics, and you are happy with what ren'py offers out of the box then, i don't think it matters if its ren'py or fungus or utage or whatever. Usually however you reach a point where you do not want something out of the basic toolbox, and then you are fucked.

This developer doesn't know programming, so by switching from unity to ren'py, while some things may be easier, some things is going to be a lot more difficult and eventually he will give up, or just get a developer to help him.

I'm sure that the developer has panicked for a while already about the future of the project, and has probably made peace with the fact that people will still pledge no matter what, and just ride it out.

People are always going to love these games that uses a famous intellectual properties, and in this case, there's a lot of different ones, for maximum hype and exposure.

/A

2.40 star(s) 30 Votes