VN Ren'Py Completed Changeling Tale [v1.0.2] [Little Napoleon]

4.90 star(s) 20 Votes

Watsup

Feb 13, 2018
So in the release version the ending of the third story part was added only or also some extra things as well?
There was an update to the whole UI, achievements and easter eggs now have their own menus, the bairds and settings sections were revamped, the navigation menu was redesigned. There's a few more things in some places, but if you are playing the version here, graces chapter addition is the biggest part.

Reactions: 404NoNamegr

ClosetPoster

May 4, 2019
Steam and itch.io right now!
Well, I wasn't planning to, as the game falls outside my fetish wheelhouse, but it's nice to see devs that are willing to slum it with reprobates like us.

I hear good things about the writing, and the game's apparently more focused on that than the furry sex, so perhaps I'll still enjoy it.

1704025066509.png

Watsup

Feb 13, 2018
Well, I wasn't planning to, as the game falls outside my fetish wheelhouse, but it's nice to see devs that are willing to slum it with reprobates like us.

I hear good things about the writing, and the game's apparently more focused on that than the furry sex, so perhaps I'll still enjoy it.

View attachment 3220332
Hey, thanks a bunch, let us know how it goes!

ClosetPoster

May 4, 2019
Hey, thanks a bunch, let us know how it goes!
Only a couple hours in, but so far I'm honestly quite impressed.

The music composition is good, albeit held back a bit by the midi quality (some of the instruments sound distinctly synthetic to me, particularly strings).

Art style's good as well, and the UI/menus are pretty. However, function feels like it takes a back seat to form in some cases: Menu elements and text don't all have enough contrast to really pop. The sliders for things like text speed/volume aren't obvious at first. Making the Celtic knot sliders a different color, like a brooch of burnished silver or gold, would probably help in that regard. Though I do appreciate the antique book aesthetic you're clearly going for.

Writing's also rather good so far (I'm only up to chapter 1-13). It's interesting that you chose such a difficult setting and time period. For the most part, anachronisms/Americanisms aren't too bad or noticeable, at least to my pedestrian level of knowledge. Just some little random things, for example, it did strike me as odd that a girl in early 1900s Scotland would know about recluse spiders. I didn't think Scotland has any, especially back then.

At any rate, I'll probably write a proper review and post it on Steam after I've finished at least one of the storylines. If the game continues to maintain its current level of quality and polish, I'd say this was worth the purchase price.

Watsup

Feb 13, 2018
Only a couple hours in, but so far I'm honestly quite impressed.

The music composition is good, albeit held back a bit by the midi quality (some of the instruments sound distinctly synthetic to me, particularly strings).

Art style's good as well, and the UI/menus are pretty. However, function feels like it takes a back seat to form in some cases: Menu elements and text don't all have enough contrast to really pop. The sliders for things like text speed/volume aren't obvious at first. Making the Celtic knot sliders a different color, like a brooch of burnished silver or gold, would probably help in that regard. Though I do appreciate the antique book aesthetic you're clearly going for.

Writing's also rather good so far (I'm only up to chapter 1-13). It's interesting that you chose such a difficult setting and time period. For the most part, anachronisms/Americanisms aren't too bad or noticeable, at least to my pedestrian level of knowledge. Just some little random things, for example, it did strike me as odd that a girl in early 1900s Scotland would know about recluse spiders. I didn't think Scotland has any, especially back then.

At any rate, I'll probably write a proper review and post it on Steam after I've finished at least one of the storylines. If the game continues to maintain its current level of quality and polish, I'd say this was worth the purchase price.
Hey, thanks for the specific feedback, I've passed it on the lead dev! He'll see about the recluse thing and probably change the slider handle colors since we're editing those right now anyway.

I don't think it's midi, but it definitely synthetic, our composer can't afford a real version of every instrument he uses and I think he only plays the piano, drums and guitar, if I remember. He's pretty good though, and I think you'll be surprised by the number of tracks.

We picked the setting and time period because our lead dev is a huge history, archaeology and traveling nerd. He's been to most countries on the planet (he filmed a video of petra that made it onto the bbc!) and thought the Scottish hills and fae lore would work well in a game all about transforming into animals. It's a great foundation.

Post great war would also let us feature an interesting protagonist with some actual backstory (rather than the usual blank slate for the genre). There's also a dirth of men for areas hit hard by casualties as well, so it helped us setup a slightly more realistic way multiple women would could all fall for the same guy (though not all at once). It's also not done also ever - I don't think there's much to compare to us because of it. A lot of our locations are based on actual pictures he took while out there so we have gotten contacted by Scots who recognize stuff, or gone and got more pictures for us.

There are a few anachronisms but we try not to do things that are completely out of the sync - some things we nudge a few years forward or backward, we show Jessie with microphones that weren't invented with 4 or 5 years in promotional stuff for instance. There probably weren't any flapper ladies outside of the city in the 20's, and she probably wouldn't have a record player. They probably wouldn't be that clean either, but we're willing to cheat where it makes sense.

Anyway, looking forward to your review!

Watsup

Feb 13, 2018
I've been informed that recluse spiders were a worldwide appearance at this point and a popular reference in literature, even if they'd be very rare in Scotland.

Simbad-sea

May 11, 2020
@Watsup
I played a bit when it was in early access. Now I'm waiting for fans to translate it into other languages. I'm surprised the game has so few reviews on Steam. Furry novels are kind of a rare genre. And there weren't many buyers. :unsure:

Tigrra

Oct 23, 2018
@Watsup
I played a bit when it was in early access. Now I'm waiting for fans to translate it into other languages. I'm surprised the game has so few reviews on Steam. Furry novels are kind of a rare genre. And there weren't many buyers. :unsure:
Maybe a lack of advertisement? I dunno, where will you advertise such game anyway?) As for translations, I saw some fan made old game versions with my language (russian) but it looked like google translated tbh. I thought about giving it a try myself, but then I realized that even if I can translate it, my russian "literature language" sucks, and for such quality game, a bad translation will be just blasphemy.

Watsup

Feb 13, 2018
@Watsup
I think it's selling quite well, actually, we're doing better than we expected anyway. It may just be so long that people aren't finished with it to review yet though. A lot of people have told us they are going to review it when it's done, but it's a 30ish hour VN, so that could be a bit.

Could be a bit on the translations, the game is very long and our translators are all volunteers.

Simbad-sea

May 11, 2020
@Tigrra Yeah. I've been playing some of the novels through VNTranslator. It uses the database DeepL or GTranslate, your choice. Games in Japanese are not playable well because of the gibberish. English is better. But it's always better to play with a translation, even from fans. The main thing is that they don't turn out like Watchdogs1 and Katana Zero translations. Because in Russian it's garbage. :lepew:
About the commercials. The game has been in development for so long that it should increase the number of people who know about it. I found out about it by looking at screenshots from other sites. There are also quite a few 18+ furry artists who make good money drawing the content. So there's a demand. :unsure:

Watsup Okay, if that's the case. I always approximate the number of reviews plus the number of purchases. If the guys are doing well, that's a plus. Because since 2016-2017, very few novels I've been following have come out of perpetual early access. And furry novella is just one.

Watsup

Feb 13, 2018
@Tigrra Yeah. I've been playing some of the novels through VNTranslator. It uses the database DeepL or GTranslate, your choice. Games in Japanese are not playable well because of the gibberish. English is better. But it's always better to play with a translation, even from fans. The main thing is that they don't turn out like Watchdogs1 and Katana Zero translations. Because in Russian it's garbage. :lepew:
About the commercials. The game has been in development for so long that it should increase the number of people who know about it. I found out about it by looking at screenshots from other sites. There are also quite a few 18+ furry artists who make good money drawing the content. So there's a demand. :unsure:

Watsup Okay, if that's the case. I always approximate the number of reviews plus the number of purchases. If the guys are doing well, that's a plus. Because since 2016-2017, very few novels I've been following have come out of perpetual early access. And furry novella is just one.
We've been open with our sales, but we just broke 2k copies on Steam, which I think is doing well for a furry VN. I'm not sure though, not a lot to compare it to.

Simbad-sea

May 11, 2020
We've been open with our sales, but we just broke 2k copies on Steam, which I think is doing well for a furry VN. I'm not sure though, not a lot to compare it to.
I agree. All you can check for novels in Steam is the number of comments. I don't remember anyone publishing sales figures for novels specifically.
I looked at other Furry Puzzles for example - there are hundreds of them by comments. Even if some of them are jokes. I remember some sociologist telling me that before selling 10k books was so bad, and now a few thousand books sold is a good indicator.
I was sure novels would sell tens of thousands, since they're generally not as difficult to make games for as other genres. But maybe they're long-term projects. Some take off right away, the rest take years to catch on. :unsure:

Simbad-sea

May 11, 2020
By the way. Why did it take so long to develop the game? I realize they didn't work 8 hours every day for the entire cycle. But why did it take so long?

Watsup

Feb 13, 2018
By the way. Why did it take so long to develop the game? I realize they didn't work 8 hours every day for the entire cycle. But why did it take so long?
The game has 5600 images in it, they're all fully shaded, and is the length of 3 novels. It just took a long time to make everything.

Last edited:
4.90 star(s) 20 Votes