TonyMurray

Formerly 'mintymuz'
Apr 8, 2024
Uh... I gotta say, this ending just felt rushed and underwhelming. So many of the characters are either absent or brushed over. And where's the justice for the MC's parents being murdered? Did i miss it because that didn't happen to my understanding. A CEO took the fall for something completely unrelated? Hmm ok.

If anyone expects this to be wrapped up in a tightly nit bow in the epilogue supposedly coming by the end of the year... lol
For the most part, the characters who were absent were already written out of the story/had their little ending earlier on. Like Tanaka, for instance, had already left, the captain and Sophie too - although she does have the Bandit storyline which comes to a close. The justice side of things has been responded to, so I won't repeat that bit.

LizaS

Jan 20, 2022
I (Stoya) take ownership for that as the writer, and legitimately felt gut-punched the moment I realized that no escape hatch had been provided.
I hope he also realizes that the writing has taken a dip in quality and has been subpar since Chapter 6.

Reactions: Joshy92

TonyMurray

Formerly 'mintymuz'
Apr 8, 2024
I hope he also realizes that the writing has taken a dip in quality and has been subpar since Chapter 6.
Difficult to really justify, as that's an opinion. I think the writing remained fine. Not saying it's the case for you, but I feel a lot of people have been saying the writing sucks based on them not getting endings that they expected to get. That doesn't necessarily equate to poor writing - a lot of it was telegraphed throughout earlier chapters, you just had to look closely enough to see it.

Reactions: Walter Victor

Tokenugget

Jan 25, 2022
For the most part, the characters who were absent were already written out of the story/had their little ending earlier on. Like Tanaka, for instance, had already left, the captain and Sophie too - although she does have the Bandit storyline which comes to a close. The justice side of things has been responded to, so I won't repeat that bit.
Not sure about all that and the "justice side" you speak of. I've not seen any justification for that. Then there's the simple plots like the hot Bianca... the update before this last you watched a movie with her and damn near banged her, but she ran off leaving us thinking there was something in the next update letting us get "closer".... but nah, game over. Pretty much sums up this update. Bunch of meh.

2024-08-23 01_47_54-Chasing Sunsets.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Enamikop

MiltonPowers

Formerly 'Milton749'
Jul 26, 2023
Difficult to really justify, as that's an opinion. I think the writing remained fine. Not saying it's the case for you, but I feel a lot of people have been saying the writing sucks based on them not getting endings that they expected to get. That doesn't necessarily equate to poor writing - a lot of it was telegraphed throughout earlier chapters, you just had to look closely enough to see it.
I know I'm going to be in the minority here and I was dreading playing it. But, I was pleasantly surprised. I did think it felt like the overall story was jumping forwards from point to point, but the romance paths were ok. My main path was Mallory solo and I'm happy with where that path has led to with Mallory, and the friendship I with Jaye. I really disliked Jaye in the early chapters, but she grew on me more and more, and I really like where the solo Jaye path is at at the moment too. I didn't play the open relationship path from this update (for obvious reasons), and probably won't even with the change coming, because I am also very happy with where the poly relationship has ended up. It didn't make any sense to me when I heard about it, but when I listened to what Jaye was saying it clicked. I understand where she is coming from and what she wants (I think I do anyway), and I'm ok with it. The Mallory/Amanda throuple path was weird, as far as I can tell, it didn't have a single word of difference to Mall solo. Overall, I enjoyed the update and look forward to the epilogues.

Reactions: TonyMurray

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
Not sure about all that and "justice side" you speak of. I've not seen any justification for that. Then there's the simple plots like the hot Bianca... the update before this last you watched a movie with her and damn near banged her, but she ran off leaving us thinking there was something in the next update letting us get "closer".... but nah, game over. Pretty much sums up this update. Bunch of meh.

View attachment 3958909
Perhaps you missed this in the latest developer update in a previous post provided by Old Man Al. Here it is:
This is not (repeat) this is not the end!

I also want to emphasize that each ending will be fully fleshed out in the last content update, and (hopefully) any loose ends will be tied up with it. A surprisingly large number of fans have assumed that we'd ended romantic paths in Walter's bar, and so I wanted to state emphatically that this is not the case. We've had each ending visualized for a few years now, and can't wait to share them with you.
I guess we'll see if this particular 'loose end' gets 'tied up' or not.

Reactions: Enamikop

LizaS

Jan 20, 2022
lot of people have been saying the writing sucks based on them not getting endings that they expected to get. That doesn't necessarily equate to poor writing
Agreed, because that isn't my concern. (Although the concerns of others have some merit, since, for example, if you choose a solo path with a character, it’s normal to expect that it will stay that way and not be jumpscared to it being a throuple all of a sudden)

I haven't been very vocal about the writing issues in this thread since I liked the game in its early days. It had such promise of being one of the best AVNs, if not the best, in this space. But, after having such a lackluster after lackluster updates, I guess that has changed.

There were a lot of plot inconsistencies, plot convenience, bad branching, outdated pop culture references (some forced jokes), disappearing side-girls, and dialogue that sounds overly professional as if everyone is always in a meeting. Additionally, there were too few setups and payoffs, now the nonsensical outcomes, and the list goes on.

The writer, Stoya, compared to his peers isn't bad. But his writing style clearly shows he's better suited at writing books instead rather than a game where you, as the player, are given choices that should matter and story branching exists.

The recent update felt like a slap to the players. It seemed as if the message was, "Oh, you're not going to play the story the way I wanted? Here, have a bad ending." The story felt disjointed. It. Felt. Kinetic.

I’ve been saying for a long time that Stoya is fortunate to have Kentyrr as his artist (who posts a lot of custom renders publicly, markets the game, and is, as some people say, one of the best artists in this space). Without Kentyrr, Chasing Sunsets wouldn’t be as successful and as popular as it is today.

I dare say his talent with the art side of the game makes some players overlook the issues with the writing.

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
Agreed, because that isn't my concern. (Although the concerns of others have some merit, since, for example, if you choose a solo path with a character, it’s normal to expect that it will stay that way and not be jumpscared to it being a throuple all of a sudden)
I hope you realize, that if you wish to avoid that 'jumpscare', you can just turn it down. Just like you can turn down nearly every other sexual situation in this game.

Reactions: MiltonPowers

LizaS

Jan 20, 2022
I hope you realize, that if you wish to avoid that 'jumpscare', you can just turn it down. Just like you can turn down nearly every other sexual situation in this game.
That's odd. Huh... Because in the post you just quoted, it said;
For those of you who felt burned by the outcome of the casual path for the two main LI's, we know we dropped the ball.
While we feel the girls' dissatisfaction with the casual arrangement was adequately telegraphed, we also never provided an offramp for the player to right the ship. That both violates the spirit of our "no gotcha" statement at the beginning of the game, and it's objectively obvious that the result was unduly punitive.
I (Stoya) take ownership for that as the writer, and legitimately felt gut-punched the moment I realized that no escape hatch had been provided.
I wonder what that means. :unsure:

Reactions: Joshy92

MagicMan753

Nov 19, 2021
I wonder if you commit to jaye in ch.9 in the new scene with the new patch coming out, will we still have a chance at the throuple then, because if not what would be the point. If we can, that would fix most of my gripes about the throuple being locked to jaye path, but if not and really is just a choice of not ending ep alone or whatsoever, I think it would still be stupid, becaus then you would still have to cut off mallory for like 3 chapters to get the throuple, which I feel like is bad and doesn't make sense personally. So hopefully with this choice added throuple will still be possible.

Joshy92

Devoted Member
Mar 25, 2021

I haven't been very vocal about the writing issues in this thread since I liked the game in its early days. It had such promise of being one of the best AVNs, if not the best, in this space. But, after having such a lackluster after lackluster updates, I guess that has changed.

There were a lot of plot inconsistencies, plot convenience, bad branching, outdated pop culture references (some forced jokes), disappearing side-girls, and dialogue that sounds overly professional as if everyone is always in a meeting. Additionally, there were too few setups and payoffs, now the nonsensical outcomes, and the list goes on.

The writer, Stoya, compared to his peers isn't bad. But his writing style clearly shows he's better suited at writing books instead rather than a game where you, as the player, are given choices that should matter and story branching exists.

The recent update felt like a slap to the players. It seemed as if the message was, "Oh, you're not going to play the story the way I wanted? Here, have a bad ending." The story felt disjointed. It. Felt. Kinetic.

I’ve been saying for a long time that Stoya is fortunate to have Kentyrr as his artist (who posts a lot of custom renders publicly, markets the game, and is, as some people say, one of the best artists in this space). Without Kentyrr, Chasing Sunsets wouldn’t be as successful and as popular as it is today.

I dare say his talent with the art side of the game makes some players overlook the issues with the writing.
Dude I hated that whole throuple situation on Jaye's solo path.

4.60 star(s) 321 Votes