moskyx

Engaged Member
Jun 17, 2019
Right?????

It's a shame I didn't keep an original version but only the Book 1 version published after the Steam release.
As you say, the original version of that intro set the tone much more effectively than it does now. It was darker, probably wordier, and resorted to some sort of external narrator that is usually uncommon in Philly, but the atmosphere was amazing.
"There will be screams, there will be pain, there will be *i can't remember*." It's gone.
Now it's all much more aseptic and rushed.
It's still present in my translation files, although it's not displayed in game anymore. I refused to delete those now useless lines as a silent protest.

"The slow hum of the neon lights stretches out over the dark city."
"Poor witnesses to the events about to unfold."
"As the sharp snap of violence begins, then ends abruptly."

(Ghosts kill Gloria's friends and listen to her voice message telling them about the Noir, that segment is stilll the same.)

"The fast rhythmic beat of the Tech Noir mixes with the pounding of the dancers on the floor."
"A young girl waits for friends that will never come."
"Her patience turns to worry."
"Those around her, passing her by. Their only excitement is waiting back stage."
"Discussions in the dark, their meanings unknown."
"Friendly? Maybe. Fiendish? Perhaps."
"Regardless, the show must go on."
"A once shining star goes back onto the stage."
"Above that stage, he waits."
"Like a sentinel. Watching, biding, for his time. A time that will soon arrive."
"The former star approaches the mic."
"Trying to relive her old glory."
"Glory shall not arrive tonight."
"There will be pain."
"There will be fear."
"There will be panic."
"There will be chaos."
"And there will be death..."
"On this night."
"Blood shall rain from the sky."
"The three intruders finally meeting their match."
"For only gods would cause such suffering."
"Confusion takes over as the crowd flees."
"Terrified by what she has witnessed."
"The young girl stumbles out alone."
"Shock takes over. In a daze, she staggers to the doors."
"Battered and broken, she lurches outside into the night."
"Then in a panic."
"She flees."
"Her destination unknown."
"Anywhere. It does not matter. As long as it's far away."
"Then, with a crack, she trips."
"Laying on the cold concrete of the streets of LA, she passes out."
"Only to be found again by the one who watches."
It wasn't perfect, probably, but it had tone and rythm. Short, dark sentences that raise you alert levels. You feel what it's told... and then the superb intro video kicks in and swallows you into the game. Now almost all of that is replaced by inane dialogue lines that don't convey any emotion at all. Didn't understand the change.

Aristos

Forum Fanatic
Dec 28, 2017
It's still present in my translation files, although it's not displayed in game anymore. I refused to delete those now useless lines as a silent protest.

It wasn't perfect, probably, but it had tone and rythm. Short, dark sentences that raise you alert levels. You feel what it's told... and then the superb intro video kicks in and swallows you into the game. Now almost all of that is replaced by inane dialogue lines that don't convey any emotion at all. Didn't understand the change.
Thank you, compadre. It's great to hear those lines in my head again.
Seeing it again, I would probably prune some excessively bombastic sentences, like "for only gods would cause such suffering". Which on top of that didn't have any connection with what was happening (gods?).
But the essence should have remained. Paired with the music, it gives me goosebumps :oops:

The Bush Diver

Feb 21, 2020
Thank you, compadre. It's great to hear those lines in my head again.
Seeing it again, I would probably prune some excessively bombastic sentences, like "for only gods would cause such suffering". Which on top of that didn't have any connection with what was happening (gods?).
But the essence should have remained. Paired with the music, it gives me goosebumps :oops:
Damn it amigo! Can't believe I've never seen those lines...Such a darker tone, amazing in essence!

It's like a music artist having to tone down his lyrics for some reason, to reach a broad audience or to make it commercially better.

I understand the frustration. And count me in on the sad team about the lack of post-sex bliss content.

hell-yeah-bro.jpg

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Meushi

Aug 4, 2017
Some other day we'll discuss the way in which the game's very first scene was remade, maybe before the Steam release (not sure).
In my opinion, for the worse.
As far as I can tell, the prologue was rewritten in v1.08.
The writing in the current intro is trash compared with the tone set in the original one. That's a fact.
As you say, the original version of that intro set the tone much more effectively than it does now.
The rewrite uses the same image names as the original version, so it's not too hard to restore the old prologue dialogue.

--------------------------------------------------

The attached City of Broken Dreamers Prologue Restore Mod restores the old intro/prologue used up to v1.0.2.

It doesn't replace any of the original files, and only modifies the two prologue scenes.

Limitations:
  • Avoid saving within the prologue scenes, as those saves may be incompatible with the standard game if this mod is not installed. Saving anywhere outside these scenes will be fine.
  • I have no idea how this mod would interact with translation files.

Install: Unzip this archive and copy the prologue_old_mi.* files into the "game" folder to use it.

Uninstall: Delete the prologue_old_mi.* files in the "game" folder.

Last edited:

The Bush Diver

Feb 21, 2020

The rewrite uses the same image names as the original version, so it's not too hard to restore the old prologue dialogue.

The attached City of Broken Dreamers Prologue Restore Mod restores the old intro/prologue used up to v1.0.2.

It doesn't replace any of the original files, and only modifies the two prologue scenes.

Limitations:
  • Avoid saving within the prologue scenes, as those saves may be incompatible with the standard game if this mod is not installed. Saving anywhere outside these scenes will be fine.

Install: Unzip this archive and copy the prologue_old_mi.* files into the "game" folder to use it.

And the great Meushi has arrived! I'm such a fan of this guy, after saving the A.O.A community with his WT :p

thats-why-youre-fisro2.jpg

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018

Limitations:

Nifty!

You are correct, BTW, the change came between v1.0.2 and 1.08.1; I still have some of the older versions in my archives.

I'm a little torn on which version I prefer. The original is more... evocative, and definitely more ominous. But the prose can be a bit much at times, and the new version is a lot more in keeping with the way the game itself is structured. I guess I can go either way.

Aristos

Forum Fanatic
Dec 28, 2017

Limitations:

So it happened right after the Steam release? Now that's weird :WaitWhat:

Thank you! As usual you're our idol :D

Reactions: Meushi

Burt Reynolds Mustache

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 19, 2017
So it happened right after the Steam release? Now that's weird :WaitWhat:

Thank you! As usual you're our idol :D
Honestly, tonal issues aside, it just didn't fit too well with the way the rest of the game was done. It was literally the first thing written for CoBD 0.1 and we felt the new intro fit better. We did it for the Steam release, so the rest of the game would be a bit more cohesive and that release was the perfect time to fix anything we wanted to do. If you want to complain to anyone, I'll take it at me... sorry you preferred the older version, and I can see why you would, but at least you know why it was done, and when.

Idontplay

Oct 30, 2017
I prefer the new intro: I don't remember why, but the old one nullified my interest in the game, when it was released for the first time, due to the old one.

P.S. Now I understand why I had the feeling something was changed in the intro, when I have tried it again: it was rewritten!

BisonFan02

Apr 2, 2018
Honestly, tonal issues aside, it just didn't fit too well with the way the rest of the game was done. It was literally the first thing written for CoBD 0.1 and we felt the new intro fit better. We did it for the Steam release, so the rest of the game would be a bit more cohesive and that release was the perfect time to fix anything we wanted to do. If you want to complain to anyone, I'll take it at me... sorry you preferred the older version, and I can see why you would, but at least you know why it was done, and when.
What Burt said. I remember comments about the intro more than a few times during betas and it potentially being tweaked. I don't necessarily disagree with some who liked the original better, but I lean towards what Burt mentioned. The Steam release for book 1 was going to need to be a more "polished" version of those chapters anyway.....which probably forced the decision at that point.

Bottom line....it was going to be tweaked. One could argue that it should have received a trim rather than shaved (hair cut reference) and that argument would have more legs IMHO.

CHAD-MAN

Aug 12, 2017
I think we're still a couple updates from COBD ending, so chances are not even Philly has a clue on what he wants to do next

Arigon

Engaged Member
Aug 27, 2020
I would like to see Philly try a comedy. It is clear that he can do some fine writing and artwork. If he did a comedy, I would buy the damned thing sight unseen.
Carli would be a plus though.... of course, I could go for some sexbot and genetically manipulated love as well!
Peace

Reactions: pinkshinyultrablast

Canto Forte

Post Pro
Jul 10, 2017
Yup. Out there on the prairie, making moonshine and living off the grid,
using self taught survival techniques and trying naked and afraid the real deal.

4.80 star(s) 394 Votes