RC-1138 Boss

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2017
posted

Hello patrons and welcome to another set of patron polls!

Today we'll be discussing some development direction choices.

If you check our development schedule, we're perpetually one month behind. For example O:G 0.9 was due in March, but we've backed up into April. We're now past the 2.5k goal (allotting us x5 CGs a month), but even with two artists on board, we're struggling to hit the x5 CG mark in a timely manner because there's been a backlog for awhile.

It's not just CG either - we've recently undertaken several programming and graphics projects for our games. And I'm also quite bogged down with my own work routine. It's not fair for patrons to keep being charged while we're getting bogged down, however.

So, there's three solutions to this issue:

1) We stop charging patrons for one month; we lose one month of development, but this allows us some much-needed time to breathe and catch up to the backlog. Funding is not an issue, as we have everything paid for; we just don't have the time to do it all.

2) Spend one month of development on the graphical overhaul of Claire's Quest - all new map tiles, sprites, portraits, UI, and more. The original plan was to introduce everything piecemeal - which was necessary since staff like programmers don't work full-time for us. By doing this, we let CG artists catch up to their backlog without giving them more CG work to do, and instead spend the money intended for CG on our support staff, like our programmer and sprite artist, who can then finish the entire overhaul in one month rather than over the course of several months. CG artists will work on things like portraits during this time, instead of the cost, time, and labour-intensive CG sets.

3) Business as usual; we do nothing new to address the backlog. We'll do this if the majority of patrons are okay with our progress thus far.

This is a major decision to make, so I'd like to do whatever I end up doing with the majority consent of my patrons. Cast your votes and let me know!
How is this poll going?

ilovenudemods

Came for the tits, stayed for the story.
Donor
Apr 10, 2018
The updates on this game are super frustrating. All of the best scenes so far are mostly just black screens. You wander aimlessly due to no map function. Questlines abruptly end. Maybe in 5 years or so this one will be done with. The patreon has over $2600 a month, but the dev doesn't seem that focused on pushing out updates at all, instead spreading out into multiple projects and finishing none of them. Such is the story behind so many games at the moment...Oh where oh where are the devs who are committed to finishing their projects?

Creeping Death

dies in loneliness
Donor
Jan 28, 2018
The updates on this game are super frustrating. All of the best scenes so far are mostly just black screens. You wander aimlessly due to no map function. Questlines abruptly end. Maybe in 5 years or so this one will be done with. The patreon has over $2600 a month, but the dev doesn't seem that focused on pushing out updates at all, instead spreading out into multiple projects and finishing none of them. Such is the story behind so many games at the moment...Oh where oh where are the devs who are committed to finishing their projects?
During the last months the CGI part was pushed immensively, don't know if you play the latest release, because there are not many scenes without CGI. But complaining here is the wrong place, you should use you patreon account and post directly or if it doesn't help cancel your patronage for this dev ...

ilovenudemods

Donor
Apr 10, 2018
During the last months the CGI part was pushed immensively, don't know if you play the latest release, because there are not many scenes without CGI. But complaining here is the wrong place, you should use you patreon account and post directly or if it doesn't help cancel your patronage for this dev ...
I back quite a few games on patreon, 9 at the moment, to be exact. But this dev gets more money than over half of those combined, and the updates are slower than molasses. It's embarrassing how little they've done in the last months, so I guess I'll just have to disagree with your "immensively" comment, sorry. I've been playing on CQ version 1.4.1. and I have black screens all over the place.

I don't really agree that it's the wrong place to complain, because I don't really see my comment as a complaint. More of an observation based on 4-5 hours of gameplay.

Reactions: Mwanted

Creeping Death

dies in loneliness
Donor
Jan 28, 2018
I don't have the problem wir black screens, most of the scenes currently have a CGI set. So maybe something went wrong in your game folder? Have you started this version in a new folder or copied new versions over and over again into the same folder? Or you have much more progress in the game than me. Tell me two or three scenes you miss CGIs, I can check tonight if I got CGIs for them. And how many files you got in the folder <Your Claire's Quest 0.14.1>\www\img\pictures ? I have 214 pictures in it.

ilovenudemods

Donor
Apr 10, 2018
I don't have the problem wir black screens, most of the scenes currently have a CGI set. So maybe something went wrong in your game folder? Have you started this version in a new folder or copied new versions over and over again into the same folder? Or you have much more progress in the game than me. Tell me two or three scenes you miss CGIs, I can check tonight if I got CGIs for them. And how many files you got in the folder <Your Claire's Quest 0.14.1>\www\img\pictures ? I have 214 pictures in it.
I haven't played CQ regularly enough to remember exactly which ones, but I know all the scenes at the Temple of Fertility are black since I just played through there last night. I quit when I got the message that there is no more content in this version of the game. My pictures folder has 212 pictures in it. Many scenes are just black with text. It's not a glitch or bug, it's a lack of content.

Re-4Andrew

Aug 4, 2017
The artist got injured, and the art fell behind, they've caught back up pretty fast from previous releases with just black screen and dialog. You gotta remember these game are hobbies the dev and artists have other jobs, they try to do what they can.

Re-4Andrew

Aug 4, 2017
is the mother dead? or is there a way to get back to her?
Not sure, If she did survive she probably a pigman breeder. May make for an interesting future updates to see if that is added to the story. Or somehow it is mixed into the story and Claire finds out she could rescue her! Maybe suggest something to the Devs and see if it is added to a future poll.

Re-4Andrew

Aug 4, 2017
I haven't played CQ regularly enough to remember exactly which ones, but I know all the scenes at the Temple of Fertility are black since I just played through there last night. I quit when I got the message that there is no more content in this version of the game. My pictures folder has 212 pictures in it. Many scenes are just black with text. It's not a glitch or bug, it's a lack of content.
It also has to do with the Dev or Creator adding more content that wasn't seen in previous version, maybe a lot of it wasn't planned but written into the game anyway, and the artists aren't aware of it until after the game release, there is suppose to be a revamp of the games graphics, and more added to the story, so these blank dialog screens will continue, until the next release.

ilovenudemods

Donor
Apr 10, 2018
The artist got injured, and the art fell behind, they've caught back up pretty fast from previous releases with just black screen and dialog. You gotta remember these game are hobbies the dev and artists have other jobs, they try to do what they can.
Unfortunately, when you start taking more than $2600 bucks a month from paying patrons, your hobby ceases to be a hobby and it's time to deliver. Maybe if he got hurt, he should have turned off his patreon and stopped taking money for his lack of updating? I've had injuries as well, but if I don't work, I don't get paid. That's kind of how the world works.

I personally wish that there was someway to limit games on Patreon being posted unless there was at least, 30-50% complete. That way the dev wants to complete it for them, because they're personally invested into the project, and not just because they have to push out updates for Patrons. I don't think we'll have to worry about Dystopian Games being an issue though, and I do believe Claire's Quest will get finished...but the early access cancer is a definite problem, especially in the adult gaming community.

Forix

Apr 21, 2017
Anyone know how we can convince the wraith in the Sinister Glade (for the guy lost in the woods).
According to the walk through I need to use option 3 "Gently Dissuade the wraith", but to no avail.

I don't have the problem wir black screens, most of the scenes currently have a CGI set. So maybe something went wrong in your game folder? .
The scene where Claire lose her virginity to Lawrence is a blackscreen. I had a few scene like that as well. Disappointing :(
All of the sister of fertility scenes as well.
One scene with the Lion in the Ranger questline as well.

Alariza

Apr 30, 2018
Anyone know how we can convince the wraith in the Sinister Glade (for the guy lost in the woods).
According to the walk through I need to use option 3 "Gently Dissuade the wraith", but to no avail.
It requires a certain level of Seduction (or perhaps Intrigue, but should be Seduction if I recall correctly). There are a few more places in the walkthrough that I haven't had the time to double check yet.

Jacksassv1

Sep 16, 2017
Unfortunately, when you start taking more than $2600 bucks a month from paying patrons, your hobby ceases to be a hobby and it's time to deliver. Maybe if he got hurt, he should have turned off his patreon and stopped taking money for his lack of updating? I've had injuries as well, but if I don't work, I don't get paid. That's kind of how the world works.
I get where you're coming from because $2600 is a lot of money when you think about them getting a lump sum for one individual; but don't forget it's divided up into 4 weeks ($650) and then again into at least TWENTY people (as taken from "the team" section on patreon) so I don't know if they divide it equally or how it works; but if it is split equally then that's only $32.50 per person.

As for the injury; I don't want to speculate into this persons life or yours. So I hope that helps clear some of your doubts :)

ilovenudemods

Donor
Apr 10, 2018
I get where you're coming from because $2600 is a lot of money when you think about them getting a lump sum for one individual; but don't forget it's divided up into 4 weeks ($650) and then again into at least TWENTY people (as taken from "the team" section on patreon) so I don't know if they divide it equally or how it works; but if it is split equally then that's only $32.50 per person.

As for the injury; I don't want to speculate into this persons life or yours. So I hope that helps clear some of your doubts :)
If they have 20 people working on it, then one of them getting injured shouldn't at all hinder the progress. I'm not doubting Dystopian Project, never said that I was. I actually said the opposite above when I said: "I don't think we'll have to worry about Dystopian being an issue though, and I do believe Claire's Quest will get finished...but the early access cancer is a definite problem, especially in the adult gaming community."

I just think that when you start taking money, the game changes and it's time to step up. If you can't deliever, refuse the money or lose some reputation. How much each dev team member gets is irrelevant once your project goals are met, since the dev sets their own project funding goals. (In their case their goal is 3k, so even with your math, they are clearly happy with around $50 bucks each)

Mwanted

Oct 1, 2017
@ilovenudemods Not only there are a lot of black screens like you said (and they have been there for A LOT of time, like more than 6 months probably), but he often cheated on delivering the extra CGs as for his Patreon goals, when he delivers like 3/4 of them are bestiality content, and one of the next months you'll have 0 cgs because he has to upgrade the sprites. There are more worthwhile and honest creators, trust me (see my signature)

4.30 star(s) 107 Votes