4.60 star(s) 48 Votes

Blurglurg

May 6, 2018
Sorry to say, but the cracks start to show on the very first scene when it comes to context.

"I left her on the rooftop" when it's Maika who leaves the rooftop with the guy in it.
"Awww, Maihime (her name's Maika), you look so pitiful" when saying かわいそう in reference to the guy, as in "I feel bad for him".

Then there's straight up mistranslations, such as

mistranslation.png

where she simply said 自業自得, meaning "He had it coming", "He got what he deserved", "He reaped what he sowed", etc. I'm not even sure how the AI would jump from that to a line about jail, can't think of any kanji in common.

It goes on like this from the very next line onward. Rin says "Maika, why don't you try it too?" (referring to compensated dating with old men) which the AI somehow translates as "Why don't you try doing a dance performance at a summer festival?" because Maika's name has the kanji for dance and summer respectively. It's just the typical MTL bonkers stuff really.

So yeah, on a surface level this may look more like English than the usual MTL poetry, but calling it a decent translation would be a hell of a stretch.

Last edited:

Kokocho24

May 16, 2018
Sorry to say, but the cracks start to show on the very first scene when it comes to context.

"I left her on the rooftop" when it's Maika who leaves the rooftop with the guy in it.
"Awww, Maihime (her name's Maika), you look so pitiful" when saying かわいそう in reference to the guy, as in "I feel bad for him".

View attachment 2550209

where she simply said 自業自得, meaning "He had it coming", "He got what he deserved", "He reaped what he sowed", etc. I'm not even sure how the AI would jump from that to a line about jail, can't think of any kanji in common.

It goes on like this from the very next line onward. So yeah, on a surface level this may look more like English than the usual MTL poetry, but calling it a decent translation would be a hell of a stretch.
its leaps and bounds above the normal MTL i dont know Japanese and i couldnt tell other than a few parts that it was MTL

dazedanon

Engaged Member
Modder
Uploader
Donor
Jul 24, 2017

View attachment 2550209

It goes on like this from the very next line onward. Rin says "Maika, why don't you try it too?" which the AI somehow translates as "Why don't you try doing a dance performance at a dance festival?" because Maika's name has the kanji for dance and summer respectively. It's just the typical MTL bonkers stuff really.

So yeah, on a surface level this may look more like English than the usual MTL poetry, but calling it a decent translation would be a hell of a stretch.
I really wouldn't base this on a honest manual translation. Its still MTL at the end of the day. You have to put it in perspective, this took me 2 hours to make vs weeks/months of effort a manual translation could take.

If you are looking for an accurate translation you will be sorely dissapointed.

Also these problems could likely be improved upon. This is using ChatGPT 3.5, not even 4. Now imagine if you had a model that was actually trained on Japanese>English translation specifically. Bet you could do a lot better.

Remember that if it wasn't for costs I'd have way more freedom to improve how I send this context or prompts for these translations

I think calling it a decent MTL translation is fair all things considered.

Last edited:

Mila16

Mar 29, 2020
Another short one so I can test the tool on an easier game. This one took like 2 hours to make and around 20 bucks. Not bad at all compared to the others and barely had to mess with anything to get a decent translation.

For those who don't know this is a translation made using ChatGPT and my tool to inject context during translation for a higher quality result. Basically, the MTL is perfect understandable English trust me.

I've also improved the choices a bit, now ChatGPT also knows the question being asked before it translates a choice which seems to help a bit.

Still some hiccups such as with genders or consistency with names but overall I think its in a good place. Those small mistakes can be fixed manually by the translator if they need to.

Also the tutorial is hand translated by me, not something I normally do but was burning time during the MTL process anyway. None of the other pictures are translated.

Some screens of the translation:

View attachment 2550018 View attachment 2550019
I actually forgot to ask before. How much would it cost if you try translating really long text games like any Beel ze bub game? does Chat GPT give you a price on how much it would cost first before they decide translating?

dazedanon

Engaged Member
Modder
Uploader
Donor
Jul 24, 2017
I actually forgot to ask before. How much would it cost if you try translating really long text games like any Beel ze bub game? does Chat GPT give you a price on how much it would cost first before they decide translating?
Its .002 cents per 1000 tokens for ChatGPT 3.5. They have a pricing page. That being said since I inject context with every line its actually way more expensive in practice.

For big games probably around 50 bucks minimum if you manage do to everything right first go.

Reactions: beppemistero

Blurglurg

May 6, 2018
I really wouldn't base this on a honest manual translation. Its still MTL at the end of the day. You have to put it in perspective, this took me 2 hours to make vs weeks/months of effort a manual translation could take.

If you are looking for an accurate translation you will be sorely dissapointed.
I wasn't expecting one from MTL so no worries there. But I think it's still important to point out that this isn't some major leap for non-manual translations, when the program is still jumping the shark on basic translation bits even when context is not a factor. At the end of the day each sentence is still a throw of the dice on whether or not you're going to get something that resembles its original meaning.

Not going to dissect the whole thing of course, I think I made my point. If someone else gets to enjoy the game as is that's still a net win, so thanks for your time and investment.

Reactions: dazedanon

dazedanon

Engaged Member
Modder
Uploader
Donor
Jul 24, 2017
because Maika's name has the kanji for dance and summer respectively.
Referencing this, it might be a good idea in the future for me to give ChatGPT the names of all the characters before hand and see if it confuses it less. Times like this I wish I knew Japanese lol.

Reactions: Blurglurg
4.60 star(s) 48 Votes