Wooloomooloo

Apr 8, 2018
As much as I appreciate the portrayal of the hardships and problems a real trans person might face, I have to say I absolutely DO NOT appreciate being railroaded onto a scenario where everyone, and I mean EVERYONE except your family members are absolute jerks, no matter what you do. FFS, Kevin is a jerk (okay, fair enough...), Jordan is a jerk, Zoey is a jerk, Izzy is a jerk, Brad is a jerk... this is far beyond jumping the shark and just stupid by this point. YES, some people definitely ARE jerks - but WTF about everyone in anyone's life in this VN being one, whether you like it or not?!? There's making a point, and there's carpet-nuking the point from orbit. And this is definitely the latter... :FacePalm:

AVNSnax

Story Teller
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2021
As much as I appreciate the portrayal of the hardships and problems a real trans person might face, I have to say I absolutely DO NOT appreciate being railroaded onto a scenario where everyone, and I mean EVERYONE except your family members are absolute jerks, no matter what you do. FFS, Kevin is a jerk (okay, fair enough...), Jordan is a jerk, Zoey is a jerk, Izzy is a jerk, Brad is a jerk... this is far beyond jumping the shark and just stupid by this point. YES, some people definitely ARE jerks - but WTF about everyone in anyone's life in this VN being one, whether you like it or not?!? There's making a point, and there's carpet-nuking the point from orbit. And this is definitely the latter... :FacePalm:
Hi. I hear you. I get this sort of comment a lot. Here's some back story:

The original form of Confusion was a Twine story. There were several more characters, and I had room for a much more narrative tale. Alex still didn't have many allies, but there were more than just her foster sisters. Zoey's path was much different in the original story. She was the proverbial devil on Alex's shoulder to Chris's angel, whispering in her ear, pushing her down darker paths while Chris tried to keep her in line.

When I made the decision to switch to Ren'Py and make the story more visual (and taking into account the much smaller amount of text that can be presented) I cut back on the number of NPCs to simplify the story. And most importantly, I kept the story short so that it could be completed in a timely fashion. I did not want the development to be open-ended, like most VNs nowadays, just to keep support rolling in. Any time I see a new VN presented as "Season 1" I just roll my eyes. Especially since most will be abandoned after a couple of releases. That means that there isn't a lot of time to spend on red herrings and secret backroom deals meant to give more "depth" to villains and their motivations.

The story follows the classic Hero's Journey template. I have two comments about the antagonists in the story. First, if you are ever the subject of prejudice and ridicule in real life, it can simply feel like everybody is against you. I speak from first-hand experience. You initially think that Brad is a good guy, and you eventually find out that he's not. Or that Elliott is a bad egg but you aren't aware of just how bad she can get. Likewise, there are redemption arcs that you just haven't seen the endings to yet. Secondly, I get told all the time that I used too broad a brushstroke for the antagonists. Probably. Although I've written quite a few short stories in my life, this was my first attempt at a visual novel. Next time will be better, promise.

There are still two more chapters to go, and there will be payoffs. I can't say much more than that without giving away the store. If it's not your thing, I understand. But thanks for giving it a try.

Wooloomooloo

Apr 8, 2018
Hi. I hear you. I get this sort of comment a lot. Here's some back story [...]
Oh, I don't intend to quit, not at all. I do still enjoy your work a lot, even if it seems like a very unlikely corner case where you really ARE facing basically everyone else as adversaries. And thank you for a serious reply to what basically amounts to a rant.

I didn't know that this incarnation of "Confusion" is basically a rework from a text-based version - but I salute that decision, as it's reasonably sure to have opened the game to a much wider audience compared to a twine-based one. And of course, the redemption arcs are certainly great to have in the game - my only complaint was that, barring truly exceptional circumstances, there are always SOME people around anyone who don't NEED a redemption arc, because they're genuinely good people willing to accept you for whatever you are. No, there's never many of them - but usually, there's always SOME. This is what feels unrealistic in this game.

Obviously, I can see how this would interfere with the main thrust of the narrative you've chosen - you can't really feel like the whole world is against you when you have multiple readily available shoulders to cry on and supports to lean on. Ultimately, it's your game and your story to tell, unlikely or not; I just noticed a strange aspect and pointed it out - but that by no means makes your game a BAD one. Thanks for taking us all on this ride, and all the best to you on your future endeavors...

RC-1138 Boss

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2017
The story is nearing the climax now.Alex already decided to try to take more control over her life and they (the sisters) know who are the guilty fuckers who did that to Alex.

Also as AVNSax said this game was always supposed to have 10 chapters.:)

Reactions: damnedfrog

Jafo

Oct 8, 2017
I am the most curious how things will go on with Becca. Boy I love that woman. She is MEGA cute. Cannot wait to take her to the bedroom and do a lot of naughty stuff with her.

ShadowRider77

Jan 3, 2024
Hello, I discovered this VN just a couple days ago. I was perplexed at first, especially because I am not much into VNs (I prefer actual games) and I usually prefer female protagonists. However, I gave it a try and I was quickly hooked up with the depth and complexity of the characters and the story. I have finished my first playthrough a few minutes ago, and I'll be waiting eagerly for the next update. In the meantime, I'm subscribing on SS - I know, it's like joining a concert when there's just a couple songs left on the tracklist...

Anyway, keep up the good work!

A question: I have played without the patch, as I simply did not see it :cry: I'm doing a second playthrough soon, I think, and I'd like to know if it makes much difference. Also, I understand that to use the patch I just copy the file in the game folder, but how do I see if the patch is working? Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight_of_the_lance

Knight_of_the_lance

Feb 23, 2020
Hello, I discovered this VN just a couple days ago. I was perplexed at first, especially because I am not much into VNs (I prefer actual games) and I usually prefer female protagonists. However, I gave it a try and I was quickly hooked up with the depth and complexity of the characters and the story. I have finished my first playthrough a few minutes ago, and I'll be waiting eagerly for the next update. In the meantime, I'm subscribing on SS - I know, it's like joining a concert when there's just a couple songs left on the tracklist...

Anyway, keep up the good work!

A question: I have played without the patch, as I simply did not see it :cry: I'm doing a second playthrough soon, I think, and I'd like to know if it makes much difference. Also, I understand that to use the patch I just copy the file in the game folder, but how do I see if the patch is working? Thanks.
The main difference is the relations between the characters. It, in some instances make more sense that way. I am aware of the relations in the non patched version but I havent played it so beyond that I can't really tell for what is the difference. I am not totally sure if you can tell in the main menu, but once you start the game and get to the introduction, the new relation between the characters should immediately become apparent.

And yes, that is how the patch is applied normally. Good luck with your second reading!

Reactions: ShadowRider77
4.00 star(s) 34 Votes