VN Ren'Py Corporate Culture [v0.6] [sqwl]

4.30 star(s) 152 Votes

lukrame

Sep 25, 2020
I just want to edward to slam elsa against the wall and fuck the bitchyness out of her.
He's finally growing some balls but the guy needs to step up against elsa. She lives in his head rent free.

What'sNew

Oct 20, 2021
Anyone else have old saves that arent working? Apart from that great update. Nice to see that Edward is still randomly rearranging his room :ROFLMAO:. That's a gag Im really enjoying. Emma is also particularly stunning in this one.

jufot

May 15, 2021
Cross-posting from the story-first thread because I think it might be an interesting discussion with fans of the game.

---

I've been thinking about Elsa. What do we really know about her?

Before I start, I should mention that I don't think Elsa ever lies in the game. Omits things or deflects questions, sure, but never actively lies. Why I believe that is a topic for another post.

OK. She is well-educated, articulate. Independently wealthy. She knows enough about the corporate world to be jaded and cynical, but as a junior finance analyst, she's too young to know from personal experience. Maybe she grew up around such corporate types and came to resent it. She is also extremely well-connected. She got the CEO of a rival oil company to give Edward - a literal nobody - an interview, just so she can have someone vouch for his skills.

When Edward picks Elsa up at the police station, she says she had met a guy at the club and threatened him with her lawyers. But she chose to call Edward instead because she's worried that calling the lawyers would have unpleasant consequences. It sounds like her family is not only rich, but influential, and likely don't approve of her life choices.

She claims she has a boyfriend who's currently out of the country. On one hand, it makes sense. Someone in her position in life, with her intellect and looks is seldom single. On the other hand, an imaginary boyfriend acting as man-repellant would be understandable.

She only ever wears black, white, or shades of grey. Even Edward notices it. It gives her a cool, detached air of authority and feels more than a fashion choice.

George, the barber who cuts Edward's ridiculous hair, asks Elsa to give his regards to "Mrs. Sut-" before she cuts him off. Elsa's surname is Kristiansen. She says her mother is a school teacher, her father a dentist, and that they have nothing to do with her money. So, who is Mrs. "Sut"? Grandparents? Adoptive parents? Some rich people that Elsa has some other ties to?

The story takes place in London (numerous references to it) and when Edward asks Elsa where she is from, she says she was born here and is therefore a citizen (that's not true in the UK, but it's probably not important). Obviously, that's not what Edward was actually asking, but she seemed intent on deflecting. It likely ties to her family situation above.

---

That's it. Two years of development and that's about all the information we have on her. And of course, there is nothing in there at all about her motivations. She's still my favourite VN character ever :)

Last edited:

drisarter

Jun 12, 2017
The story takes place in London (numerous references to it) and when Edward asks Elsa where she is from, she says she was born here and is therefore a citizen (that's not true in the UK, but it's probably not important). Obviously, that's not what Edward was actually asking, but she seemed intent on deflecting. It likely ties to her family situation above.
This is an interesting post and wanted to say I really value your contributions (here and elsewhere) even though mostly I am just a lurker so don't generally express it. And I don't have much to add to what you've said, apart from saying I was interested to read it, but I do get very hung up on detail and wanted to touch on just this bit.

In particular to say, it's a little more complicated I think: it depends when the game is set / how old Elsa is. As I understand it the UK did have citizenship by birth (unless you were the child of a foreign diplomat?) up until 1983 or so (I had to look up the year it changed to be clear, didn't have that number in my head). So it could be true either if Elsa is quite a bit older than she looks (39? I agree this is unlikely? Or has her precise age been established?) or if the game isn't set "today" (clearly contemporary/ish... but it could plausibly be set in 2010 say and then Elsa would only have to be 28 to have been born before 1983).

• Red Heart
Reactions: jufot

Ragnar

Super User
Respected User
Aug 5, 2016
Damn backup removing my reply, I can't write it again. Great game, great writing. Hope Ed makes it. Hope he screws Elsa over when it's revealed why she's using him. Hope she ends up as the MC of Fashion Business (but honestly, convincingly pulling a reversal in this relationship seems impossible, for good or worse). Fuck this bitch, you don't need her Eddie. You need someone better. Being groomed, molded and used by someone like that is not the way, even if it turns out to be.
Well, that's just, like, your opinion, man :ROFLMAO:
I think the MC can put Elsa in her place down the line or at least reach a midde ground in their relationship.
It would be somethng like this
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
The thing is Edward was a mess before Elsa. He's getting shit done now because she's pushing him to be better.

Reactions: QBaSS

jufot

May 15, 2021
As I understand it the UK did have citizenship by birth (unless you were the child of a foreign diplomat?) up until 1983 or so (I had to look up the year it changed to be clear, didn't have that number in my head). So it could be true either if Elsa is quite a bit older than she looks (39? I agree this is unlikely? Or has her precise age been established?) or if the game isn't set "today" (clearly contemporary/ish... but it could plausibly be set in 2010 say and then Elsa would only have to be 28 to have been born before 1983).
I love analysing details like this, and you are indeed correct! British Nationality Act of 1981 has made it a requirement that at least one parent to be a citizen or permanent resident, of either the United Kingdom or one of its colonies.

Elsa's age hasn't been established, but to my eyes she looks to be somewhere between 25 and 30. There are some assets in game (laptops, cars, phones etc) that weren't around in 2010, but that's probably too much nitpicking. So I'd say your theory is at least plausible :)

• Red Heart
Reactions: drisarter
Dec 7, 2019
I love analysing details like this, and you are indeed correct! British Nationality Act of 1981 has made it a requirement that at least one parent to be a citizen or permanent resident, of either the United Kingdom or one of its colonies.

Elsa's age hasn't been established, but to my eyes she looks to be somewhere between 25 and 30. There are some assets in game (laptops, cars, phones etc) that weren't around in 2010, but that's probably too much nitpicking. So I'd say your theory is at least plausible :)
Elsa is 22 and MC is older. It's somewhere in the beginning. She's just graduated from Uni, or so she claims.

jufot

May 15, 2021
Elsa is 22 and MC is older. It's somewhere in the beginning. She's just graduated from Uni, or so she claims.
You seem to be right, kind of :) Here's the relevant bit from the script:
scene tc-1 with slow_fade
"And on that day, I started to work on my project."
"Elsa, as she promised, was helping me with some numbers."
"Surprisingly, she knew more than I expected about all of this."
scene tc-2 with dissolve
"And it was a very practical kind of knowledge. Something that you can't get from books."
"Especially considering she was only twenty-two, just out of university."
"Thanks to the project, my motivation went sky high again. I finally had some kind of plan to achieve what I wanted."
scene tc-3 with dissolve
"And working together on the project, we became even closer."
stop music fadeout 10.0
"By that time, I had completely gotten used to her. In a short period, I became much closer with her than with anyone else at work."
"I enjoyed working with her. She had traits I've always valued - she was smart and not very talkative."
Keep in mind that Elsa doesn't say anything. It's Edward who says Elsa is 22 and is a recent grad. She never actually comments on it :)

Skylaroo

May 28, 2017
I used to like Elsa and even contemplated whether to pursue her over Alice if there's such opportunity in the future, but this update simply made her very unlikable. It's such a shame that she's being portrayed like that.

Keep in mind that Elsa doesn't say anything. It's Edward who says Elsa is 22 and is a recent grad. She never actually comments on it :)
This is incorrect. The beginning scene where Edward was lying on the couch at work had the following dialogue:
Edward:Bang Bang. You are dead.
Elsa: You're such a child.
Edward: Excuse me but as far as I can tell, I'm older than you.
Edward: How old are you?
Elsa: Twenty-two
Edward: See? And I'm... older

So yes, Elsa said she's 22.

Balthasar-Gelt

Aug 5, 2021
Multi-Mod:

-Adds hints in dialogues that give points for the MC.
-Adds cheat option at the quick menu.
-Option to change MC's name, nick and surname (you can access it at the start of the game or when u choose "change names" on cheat screen.).
-Added gallery at the main menu.

Updated to v0.4

DOWNLOAD:
MEGA, OR

SCREENSHOTS:
Can you please update the mod?

qwertyu12359

Jack-o-nine-tails
Game Developer
Aug 1, 2017
I used to like Elsa and even contemplated whether to pursue her over Alice if there's such opportunity in the future, but this update simply made her very unlikable. It's such a shame that she's being portrayed like that.
It didn't feel out-of-character to me. If anything, she was just being as "Elsa" as ever. :coffee:

Reactions: jufot

Skylaroo

May 28, 2017
It didn't feel out-of-character to me. If anything, she was just being as "Elsa" as ever. :coffee:
Not out-of-character to me either. It's more that her Elsa-ness is being dialed up that ended up crossing the tolerable line for me so that she becomes very unlikable. Before, it's like she pokes with you with a knife time to time, but this update feels like she stabs you and then twists the knife. Still the same character playing with a knife, but different outcome.

Reactions: qwertyu12359

qwertyu12359

Jack-o-nine-tails
Game Developer
Aug 1, 2017
Not out-of-character to me either. It's more that her Elsa-ness is being dialed up that ended up crossing the tolerable line for me so that she becomes very unlikable. Before, it's like she pokes with you with a knife time to time, but this update feels like she stabs you and then twists the knife. Still the same character playing with a knife, but different outcome.
I can agree.

What I found cool however is that it led to the MC questionning himself about her motive, and righteousness. She's not behaving like a friend... but she helped us like nobody before, but maybe she has hidden motives? Or maybe I'm being paranoid... or maybe she's giving me good reasons to be paranoid since she's so opaque for no reason, and a friend would be answering my questions... but she did help me, and would a non-friend do that?

It's a good twist and we cannot guess if the MC is not better off alone, or if Elsa is probably the best human being ever. I totally got how the MC's mind is being torn appart, and it seems that reaching his goal is going to be hard on his mental health not only because of his future enemies, but also because of his current friends.

As a side note, Elsa never seemed as attractive as she was for me this little chapter. Maybe it's because I last played months ago and I missed her? ^^ Or the mystery fog surrounding her is becoming thicker and thicker.

Lots of promises and I can't wait on the game to deliver. (y)

Ceesko

Engaged Member
Jun 3, 2017
The main character is psychopathic to the extreme and looks like he is one hair trigger away from carrying out a mass school shooting, and I am being honest. I cannot comprehend how anyone would call this story good. There is nothing alpha or chad about any of his actions. There is nothing macho about it, either. It is just unhinged shit.

jufot

May 15, 2021
This is incorrect. The beginning scene where Edward was lying on the couch at work had the following dialogue:
Ah, nice find! I searched for "22" and "twenty-two" in the code, but not "Twenty-two", which is why I missed it. So she definitely can't be a British citizen merely by being born here :)

Hildegardt

Oct 18, 2017
The main character is psychopathic to the extreme and looks like he is one hair trigger away from carrying out a mass school shooting, and I am being honest. I cannot comprehend how anyone would call this story good. There is nothing alpha or chad about any of his actions. There is nothing macho about it, either. It is just unhinged shit.
The slow and short updates are a blessing in disquise, because the story moves so slowly that it might still end up being good in the future. People are still hoping that this will be a redemption story rather than an incel power fantasy, but I feel like they are reading more into it in that regard than is actually there.
The only thing that's clear for now is that there are two paths labeled Ed_A and Ed_L and it seems pretty obvious what the A and L stand for. So far Ed_A is not a nice person, but he still gets the girl, so it's not clear in what way he could be redeemed or if he even needs to be redeemed from a gameplay perspective.

WhY NoT?!

Sep 2, 2019
IAmAB, can you update the mod, or did you give up on it? Thanks!

Multi-Mod:

-Adds hints in dialogues that give points for the MC.
-Adds cheat option at the quick menu.
-Option to change MC's name, nick and surname (you can access it at the start of the game or when u choose "change names" on cheat screen.).
-Added gallery at the main menu.

Updated to v0.4

DOWNLOAD:
MEGA, OR

SCREENSHOTS:

4.30 star(s) 152 Votes