xanoss

Game Developer
Jun 6, 2020
In anticipation of official compression, apparently only the developer himself knows and wants to compress his game.
yes u r right :)
bro you need to give us compressed 6 gb for every update is a lot
Unfortunatly with the nature of my game its almost all webp coded for webp which in itself is not the best but not the worst for file size, some suggested switching file types to mp4 or webm ( which isnt compatible with my html language and would end up me rewriting the whole game.)

But it is almost 1400 files which is mostly around 10 second webp videos so Its kinda understandable why its so big.
but as I will say again I have broken it up so u will now only have to download the 6gb file 1 times the next updates will be expansion to this one which will be around 1 gb and ill try to keep them under 1.5 gb per expansion so you will never have to download somthing so big again.

abloodk

Jan 10, 2020
yes u r right :)

Unfortunatly with the nature of my game its almost all webp coded for webp which in itself is not the best but not the worst for file size, some suggested switching file types to mp4 or webm ( which isnt compatible with my html language and would end up me rewriting the whole game.)

But it is almost 1400 files which is mostly around 10 second webp videos so Its kinda understandable why its so big.
but as I will say again I have broken it up so u will now only have to download the 6gb file 1 times the next updates will be expansion to this one which will be around 1 gb and ill try to keep them under 1.5 gb per expansion so you will never have to download somthing so big again.
iirc from my webdesign days, html has you link files with extension (so here it would be x.webp), so changing the format of every file to webm would just require a notepad++ search and replace all .webp to .webm

Reactions: Seawulf00

xanoss

Game Developer
Jun 6, 2020
iirc from my webdesign days, html has you link files with extension (so here it would be x.webp), so changing the format of every file to webm would just require a notepad++ search and replace all .webp to .webm
thats a great idea It still might be complicated to convert 1000+ files but I will def try this new code I found to add webm to project for the future!

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017

Animated webp is very bad for file size. Gif is even worse, but that's about it. Why go to the trouble of converting the source video format to animated webp, giving you a huge increase in file size, instead of just sticking with mp4 or converting to webm?

For a little test, I converted one of your 8 seconds animated webp of 11 MB to webm, result was about half the size. But this was with a very high bitrate in the original webp, much more than needed in your case, so with a more fitting bitrate, that 8 s clip should be a 2-3 MB webm at the most. Since you display it with width 500, you could resize it and end up with even less. 1 MB would probably be enough with a barely noticable quality loss. So that's ten times smaller.

At the very least, you could from now on switch to mp4 or webm for any new content, and also consider downscaling the clip if you know you will never display it with more than x width anyway.

Last edited:

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
The html for displaying video is different from images, so just changing the file extension won't work. It would require a script to automate the change.

xanoss

Game Developer
Jun 6, 2020
Animated webp is very bad for file size. Gif is even worse, but that's about it. Why go to the trouble of converting the source video format to animated webp, giving you a huge increase in file size, instead of just sticking with mp4 or converting to webm?

For a little test, I converted one of your 8 seconds animated webp of 11 MB to webm, result was about half the size. But this was with a very high bitrate in the original webp, much more than needed in your case, so with a more fitting bitrate, that 8 s clip should be a 2-3 MB webm at the most. Since you display it with width 500, you could resize it and end up with even less. 1 MB would probably be enough with a barely noticable quality loss. So that's ten times smaller.

At the very least, you could from now on switch to mp4 or webm for any new content, and also consider downscaling the clip if you know you will never display it with more than x width anyway.
yes you are right I didnt know sugercube had that funtion I guess I read wrong or Just never found the code for it but I think I found it now def was taking extra steps and making my project huge for no reason :)

this will actually save me a huge amount of time also lol

Reactions: Alcahest

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
yes you are right I didnt know sugercube had that funtion I guess I read wrong or Just never found the code for it but I think I found it now def was taking extra steps and making my project huge for no reason :)

this will actually save me a huge amount of time also lol
The html for displaying video is standard html though, not sugarcube.

Good luck with the game. :)

KroqGar

Jun 30, 2017
View attachment 1823732

Overview:
Welcome to Corrupt Life you and your girlfriend moved back into the suburbs to help support your family shortly after your dad passed away.

P-please play bro I worked I worked for many hours and many minutes on this the reviews are lying :( Its actually 4.9 star I swear
But yes the game is still very much unfinished full of structure problems and has unfinished content, 0.62 will be addressing alot these :)
Are you going to cry ?lol

mickster101

Aug 14, 2017
So, how do you actually get the NTR content to kick in? I have the girls at negative values (-57, -57, and -40), but now can't get those numbers any lower. The scenes remain the same, so what is needed to progress?

iSkaz

May 2, 2017
So, how do you actually get the NTR content to kick in? I have the girls at negative values (-57, -57, and -40), but now can't get those numbers any lower. The scenes remain the same, so what is needed to progress?
Look forward to the next updates. These are the maximum values in the current version.

Reactions: mickster101
Apr 24, 2018
xanoss I'm not sure how you want to do things but a simple way to convert files would be a bat file with a for each statement using ffmpeg. You could even do the subdirectories of your folder structure if you wrote the statement right (or copied it from the internet). I'm sure that others could point out other means such as handbrake as well for transcoding the files into smaller files even a crap laptop or desktop could be set to do it if it had okay cooling.

edit: i should mention that I did my own compression using a simple bat script on the girlfriend game and took it down from the 4 plus gb to about 700 (and I capped the video to 1080 there for lols).

abloodk

Jan 10, 2020
Makes no sense. The latest update adds some ntr content but to get to this content you need to wait for the next update? o_O
from what I've gathered, the dev put the media content there so we don't have to download the whole thing again in the next update, it's just not scripted in for 0.62

vincentvchaos

Sep 17, 2018
from what I've gathered, the dev put the media content there so we don't have to download the whole thing again in the next update, it's just not scripted in for 0.62
From my understanding, the download from this page (at the time of this post) is still the .62 download. The NTR is added in the .7 update, which hasn't been shared here yet, though it's available on the patreon.

xanoss

Game Developer
Jun 6, 2020
xanoss I'm not sure how you want to do things but a simple way to convert files would be a bat file with a for each statement using ffmpeg. You could even do the subdirectories of your folder structure if you wrote the statement right (or copied it from the internet). I'm sure that others could point out other means such as handbrake as well for transcoding the files into smaller files even a crap laptop or desktop could be set to do it if it had okay cooling.

edit: i should mention that I did my own compression using a simple bat script on the girlfriend game and took it down from the 4 plus gb to about 700 (and I capped the video to 1080 there for lols).
This sounds interesting but I am not very smart to even know where to begin with making a bat file or what to put in it

how much would I have to pay you to do this for me?

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
xanoss
Here is a simple widget you can use to add new videos.

Code:
<<widget vid>>
    <<set _path = "img/"+$args[0]+".mp4">>
    <<set _width = $args[1] ? $args[1] : 500>>

<video autoplay loop @width=_width>
       <source @src=_path type="video/mp4">
    </video>
<</widget>>
To use this widget, make a new passage in Twine named widgets or something. Then add the tag widget at the top and then add the widget code in the passage.

Then, to add a video with path img/bathroom/gf/vid1.mp4 in a passage, just do like this: <<vid bathroom/gf/vid1>> and it will add the video with default width 500. If you want another width, just add the width: <<vid bathroom/gf/vid1 300>> Note that I'm adding img/ and .mp4 to the path in the widget.

If you use webm, you have to change .mp4 to .webm (and the type to video/webm)

And, if you convert all your old animated webp to mp4 or webm, it would be pretty easy to make a script that replaced your old webp in the passages with the mp4/webm videos using the widget, including the width you used.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018
This sounds interesting but I am not very smart to even know where to begin with making a bat file or what to put in it

how much would I have to pay you to do this for me?
I’ll poke at the .62 version and see if I can do at least some basic changes to lower the size. I’m an amateur at video transcoding. If I find something decent, I can write out instructions or something like that (IE something like, download ffmpeg from here, create a file like this here with this code, and then do this).

More or less what I did for the Corrupt girlfriend with very basic settings was exactly that. Most of it I lifted from people who had already done it. Then I just let it run for a bit while it transcoded the large gifs (and I targeted only the gifs for Corrupt Girlfriend), then I did a basic find and replace for those files inside your code for the html file.

Pretty much to answer your question, I’d do it for free and share it here for others to say, yeah this works or try this setting to get better results. More or less, we all want the game to look the same but save our internet download time and our hard drive space.

Zurkei

Nov 25, 2017
I’ll poke at the .62 version and see if I can do at least some basic changes to lower the size. I’m an amateur at video transcoding. If I find something decent, I can write out instructions or something like that (IE something like, download ffmpeg from here, create a file like this here with this code, and then do this).

More or less what I did for the Corrupt girlfriend with very basic settings was exactly that. Most of it I lifted from people who had already done it. Then I just let it run for a bit while it transcoded the large gifs (and I targeted only the gifs for Corrupt Girlfriend), then I did a basic find and replace for those files inside your code for the html file.

Pretty much to answer your question, I’d do it for free and share it here for others to say, yeah this works or try this setting to get better results. More or less, we all want the game to look the same but save our internet download time and our hard drive space.
Unfortunately ffmpeg can only encode animated webp and can't decode it. Basically what you have to do instead is grab each frame of the animated webp and pipe it into ffmpeg. Currently got my tool scripts converting all the webp to mp4 using this method and god does it take forever, wish ffmpeg supported decoding animated webp.

Will post a download once it is done. Still have about 2.8gb of conversions left to go.

2.60 star(s) 26 Votes