4.80 star(s) 16 Votes

Lank05

Nov 8, 2021
View attachment 3123408

Working hard on adding the new cam art to the game. Staring at this stuff for days and you start focusing on the flaws.

Figured I'd put out a preview and see what you guys think.

As a side note, if any of you are artistically inclined and have any tips or tricks (or even examples) for drawing a characters face so it looks the same but from various angles then I'd appreciate it greatly. Been having trouble drawing side profiles and 3/4 views of Sister Mary's face.
what part of the 3/4 and side view that troubles you?

Reactions: Sinaxxr

Sinaxxr

Corrupting A Nun (Dev/Artist)
Game Developer
Jan 9, 2019
what part of the 3/4 and side view that troubles you?
I think I'm having the most trouble with her nose and mouth. I know what Sister Mary looks like from the front and that's exactly what I've had the most practice with. But drawing her face from the 3/4 view or side, I have trouble capturing the essence that is her face. I want it to look like her, not some generic woman.

But yeah, I think it's going to be a trial and error thing. Just like everything else. Haha. I'm learning as I go what works and what doesn't.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Sweetyannie
Sep 22, 2017
I think I'm having the most trouble with her nose and mouth. I know what Sister Mary looks like from the front and that's exactly what I've had the most practice with. But drawing her face from the 3/4 view or side, I have trouble capturing the essence that is her face. I want it to look like her, not some generic woman.

But yeah, I think it's going to be a trial and error thing. Just like everything else. Haha. I'm learning as I go what works and what doesn't.
Feel free to share your attempts here. I'm sure people would be more than willing to offer pointers.

Reactions: Sinaxxr and jura7

Lank05

Nov 8, 2021

yeah the nose and mouths are pretty difficult to get right, especially when they're not simplified to an anime art style since you'll need more knowledge of 3D form. for your previous comments about some examples, i'd say the way you do the facial features reminds me the most of the Disney princess look, specifically Rapunzel from tangled. you could use movie clips or search up 'Glen Keane' the artist behind it to help reference the different head angles. another popular example would be an artist called 'SamDoesArt' which does almost the same style but their faces tend to look more asian and have a longer face.

while i don't have the best experience in this style since i primarily draw in anime, like the comment above, I'm more then happy to help you out.

Sinaxxr

Game Developer
Jan 9, 2019
Feel free to share your attempts here. I'm sure people would be more than willing to offer pointers.
yeah the nose and mouths are pretty difficult to get right, especially when they're not simplified to an anime art style since you'll need more knowledge of 3D form. for your previous comments about some examples, i'd say the way you do the facial features reminds me the most of the Disney princess look, specifically Rapunzel from tangled. you could use movie clips or search up 'Glen Keane' the artist behind it to help reference the different head angles. another popular example would be an artist called 'SamDoesArt' which does almost the same style but their faces tend to look more asian and have a longer face.

while i don't have the best experience in this style since i primarily draw in anime, like the comment above, I'm more then happy to help you out.
I'm going to throw together a sketch page of me attempting to draw her head from various angles. I'll post it within an hour or two.

Reactions: Hunkio
Sep 22, 2017
View attachment 3129760

Here's the practice sketches.
Your profile angle is relatively fine. The 3/4 view needs a lot of work.
Edit: Incoherent rambling ahead. I apologize lol
I think the problem here is that you are overthinking how perspective works. I can tell because one eye is drastically smaller than the other. So the thought process might be "well this eye is further away from the camera, so it should be smaller." This is only ever the case if you're using a super wide-angled camera lens and it's shoved right up in her face. Otherwise the half an inch difference in depth between the two aren't going to make a difference in perceived size.
Here's some basic construction lines I threw together in MS Paint (I'm no Loomis).
1701388781682.png
Other issues that I'm seeing is that her cranium is too large (or maybe she's just big brained). Using the rest of her to scale, I marked around where her bald head should be located. Then the hairline should be brought down to around the same distance from the eyebrows as the mouth is to the nose.
It also looks like you drew the nose before the eyes. This might work on a front-on portrait, but I've personally found that when at an angle drawing the eyes first and then the nose on top of the far eye works better. I find that I often tend to cram the eye in where it doesn't belong if I do it the other way around.

If you're drawing something and find that it looks "off", the best thing you can do is flip the canvas horizontally (so that your image is mirrored). This will always show you your flaws and allow you to correct them (even the ones you didn't know where there!)

Reactions: Sinaxxr and Hunkio

miyuki25

Apr 24, 2019
Hi, I assume this was developed using a 1080p (or smaller) screen? Currently, on screens larger than this the image on the left tab repeats in a manner which can make the title, along with the Saves and Restart buttons, difficult to read:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I've created a new version of this image which should work on any screen up to 4k without repeats, and additionally made the top of the image have uniform colour (Hex code #416580). If you set it so the image is anchored to the bottom of the screen rather than the centre, and instead of repeating have it display once and have the base background colour behind that set to #416580, then it should display the same on 1080p screens while also supporting screens of any resolution larger.

Sinaxxr

Game Developer
Jan 9, 2019
Your profile angle is relatively fine. The 3/4 view needs a lot of work.
Edit: Incoherent rambling ahead. I apologize lol
I think the problem here is that you are overthinking how perspective works. I can tell because one eye is drastically smaller than the other. So the thought process might be "well this eye is further away from the camera, so it should be smaller." This is only ever the case if you're using a super wide-angled camera lens and it's shoved right up in her face. Otherwise the half an inch difference in depth between the two aren't going to make a difference in perceived size.
Here's some basic construction lines I threw together in MS Paint (I'm no Loomis).
View attachment 3131624
Other issues that I'm seeing is that her cranium is too large (or maybe she's just big brained). Using the rest of her to scale, I marked around where her bald head should be located. Then the hairline should be brought down to around the same distance from the eyebrows as the mouth is to the nose.
It also looks like you drew the nose before the eyes. This might work on a front-on portrait, but I've personally found that when at an angle drawing the eyes first and then the nose on top of the far eye works better. I find that I often tend to cram the eye in where it doesn't belong if I do it the other way around.

If you're drawing something and find that it looks "off", the best thing you can do is flip the canvas horizontally (so that your image is mirrored). This will always show you your flaws and allow you to correct them (even the ones you didn't know where there!)
I love ramblings! Thank you for taking the time to do this. I'm working on tweaking things and I'll probably post some follow-up sketches in a bit.

On a related note, I clicked the "flip horizontal" button in CSP and then flipped it back and felt like Morty in the episode where Rick showed him true level.

8b5c9eb8-85af-430c-81f3-737f18f35ff9_text.gif

Hi, I assume this was developed using a 1080p (or smaller) screen? Currently, on screens larger than this the image on the left tab repeats in a manner which can make the title, along with the Saves and Restart buttons, difficult to read:
I've created a new version of this image which should work on any screen up to 4k without repeats, and additionally made the top of the image have uniform colour (Hex code #416580). If you set it so the image is anchored to the bottom of the screen rather than the centre, and instead of repeating have it display once and have the base background colour behind that set to #416580, then it should display the same on 1080p screens while also supporting screens of any resolution larger.
You are absolutely correct, sir. I will be taking you up on your image offering and I'll let Sister Mary know to throw some extra winks and kissy faces your way when you play the game. Thank you very much.

Sep 27, 2020
View attachment 3129760

I mean no disrespect and I am not an artist.
I think the drawing's chin needs to be in front of the eyes. b/c it is inline it looks like she ran into a wall lol.

I might be beneficial to first just get a good looking side head and then try to make it look like your char.

Here is a reference image and after it I drew out a line up. Hope it helps you get what I am trying to say. Look how the order is eyes then chin and then nose.

1701414110987.png

sideViewLineUp.png

Compared to how you did chin then eyes then nose

1701414748339.png

I made the eye line blue to show how it is in front of the chin.

Again I am not trying to be disrespectful. I can't draw for shit. This stuff is hard.

I hope this helps.

Sinaxxr

Game Developer
Jan 9, 2019
I mean no disrespect and I am not an artist.
I think the drawing's chin needs to be in front of the eyes. b/c it is inline it looks like she ran into a wall lol.

I might be beneficial to first just get a good looking side head and then try to make it look like your char.

Here is a reference image and after it I drew out a line up. Hope it helps you get what I am trying to say. Look how the order is eyes then chin and then nose.

View attachment 3132189

View attachment 3132194

Compared to how you did chin then eyes then nose

View attachment 3132199

I made the eye line blue to show how it is in front of the chin.

Again I am not trying to be disrespectful. I can't draw for shit. This stuff is hard.

I hope this helps.
Wow, man. This is amazing advice actually. I needed this advice. I even went back and looked at various references of art I consider to be good and the chin always seems to be more forward than the eyes. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Fixing that right away.

Sep 27, 2020
Wow, man. This is amazing advice actually. I needed this advice. I even went back and looked at various references of art I consider to be good and the chin always seems to be more forward than the eyes. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Fixing that right away.
I am glad I could help!

I would def recommend looking up the "line ups" cuz its was makes a face/head look human. Its based on the anatomical structure of body and its bones. The way you make a face "uglier" is by breaking these rules.

this youtuber makes really good break downs I feel.

the playlist:

he uses bones, anatomy, and math to explain it with the line ups so its easy to replicate the technique.
he has multiple vids explaining head drawing all of them short. check it out.

• Red Heart

Sinaxxr

Game Developer
Jan 9, 2019
Illustration2.jpg

Alright. I really do think we're making some progress. This stuff is tricky business. (Especially 3/4 view apparently)

I give my thanks to the several of you that have given their help already.

If you have any more tips, tricks, or ideas that may improve what we have here, feel free to share. (No offense taken so no need to be shy; I want you folks to enjoy what you see in my game.)

Lank05

Nov 8, 2021
View attachment 3129760

took some time and maybe I'm overloading with too much information, but i did a redraw of the 3/4 and side view whilst showing the construction process. the method i used is based on the loomis method with some minor differences. i decided an approach to show an example of head angles that are correctly proportioned instead of pointing out all the mistakes because, I think that it would be more helpful to visually grasp and cross check what's wrong and that i might of also missed a mistake that flew over my head but is clearly seen in my example that you can pickup on.

first off and probably the hardest part is constructing the Loomis head properly, since this requires a pretty good understanding of 3d form without it looking off are weird. there are probably not much i can say about the initial contruction that isnt said better in a youtube video like the one proko made. But, one mistake that i commonly when people construct the head is that they tend to not make the head or sphere wide enough which tends to cramp up all the facial features. personally for me, i like to draw the cranium of the ball area of your skill more like an egg shape where the front likea circle, but the sides view more of an oval.

the next part would bet to start blocking out the facial features like the eyebrows, nose and mouth. this part can definitely look daunting to do but for me, i found that once i started to grasp the first part, that it didnt take as long for this since your 3d awareness would be much better at this point. One potential mistake that i would like to point out in your drawing since its present in all of the heads is that the position of the nose is too short length wise. having the nose positioned too short results in the bottom part having too much space and contribute to a bigger looking jaw. This in itself isn't that big of a problem, but when it comes to drawing girls it could look more masculine. Conversely for girls, positioning the nose lower would make the chin smaller and less masculine so it would be generally fine to do. For most average people, the position of the nose should be around the halfway point from the browbone to the chin. On a side note, the only time you would consistently see the nose position further up would be in babies or gigachad guys. However, a question that might contradict this is, if a shorter nose is undesirable then why does it look relatively fine in your nun's front view. While I'm not 100% sure, i have a pretty good idea why which i'll talk about after the whole process to not get side tracked

the last part is to finally draw the face and add some hair to make it look cool. When i looked over the sketch, i actually thought that your noses and mouths looked pretty fine. But, it was more so the eyes that looked the most odd, but only in the 3/4 one. foreshortening would definitely be almost unnoticeable given how close the two eyes are which you exaggerated quite a lot in yours. another thing that is off is the spacing of the eye. this is purely from my observation, but to make sure the eyes will look correct in almost every angle, the length of the largest eye should be able to snuggle in between both eyes. however, you are defiantly able to break this rule given the style is appropriate for it. an example of both cases would be helltaker are for cramped eyes, and grandblue fantasy for far apart eyes. thought for the most part, using this rule should work for most styles.

Now, back to the question about the nose length in the front angle that contradicts me saying the a short nose looks unappealing in females and average looking guys. The thing i suspect that makes it right in this case is because for a front view face, any accidental distortion like placing the nose in an odd area, or drawing the jaw weirdly may causes our eyes interpret the face to look like in a slightly different angle to compensate. In your case, the nose and mouth appear to be position more upwards then what should be idea. for me, my brain then clued in the rest and made the head look like she was facing slightly upwards, thus making the head actually viewed in a slight low angle.
here's an example i quickly drew up, which i drew in an anime style since it's a style Im most comfortable in and the quickest to draw up, but should work for this example

here i drew a front angle, and slightly low angle and a front angle again, but this time the nose and the mouth are shifted upwards. I also drew a ratio of the noses position which you can probably see better in a new tab. While slightly exaggerated, I hope that it shows the reason why your front angle looks fine, which is because you most likely didnt draw with a symmetry tool and those small human imperfection slowly accumulated and caused you to accidently draw the face that resembles the most like the middle one

anyways, this was longer then i expected, and i was planning to try to point out every mistake and also show examples of how the facial features would like in different angles, but i realised it would become a full blown tutorial. but if you still have questions on them i can follow it up, i just didnt want to make this post longer then it already is

Lank05

Nov 8, 2021
View attachment 3132429

Alright. I really do think we're making some progress. This stuff is tricky business. (Especially 3/4 view apparently)

I give my thanks to the several of you that have given their help already.

If you have any more tips, tricks, or ideas that may improve what we have here, feel free to share. (No offense taken so no need to be shy; I want you folks to enjoy what you see in my game.)
i have taken so long to respond that i didnt even noticed you made another version. anyways a definite improvement to your last one!

• Yay, new update!

Sinaxxr

Game Developer
Jan 9, 2019
took some time and maybe I'm overloading with too much information, but i did a redraw of the 3/4 and side view whilst showing the construction process. the method i used is based on the loomis method with some minor differences. i decided an approach to show an example of head angles that are correctly proportioned instead of pointing out all the mistakes because, I think that it would be more helpful to visually grasp and cross check what's wrong and that i might of also missed a mistake that flew over my head but is clearly seen in my example that you can pickup on.

first off and probably the hardest part is constructing the Loomis head properly, since this requires a pretty good understanding of 3d form without it looking off are weird. there are probably not much i can say about the initial contruction that isnt said better in a youtube video like the one proko made. But, one mistake that i commonly when people construct the head is that they tend to not make the head or sphere wide enough which tends to cramp up all the facial features. personally for me, i like to draw the cranium of the ball area of your skill more like an egg shape where the front likea circle, but the sides view more of an oval.

the next part would bet to start blocking out the facial features like the eyebrows, nose and mouth. this part can definitely look daunting to do but for me, i found that once i started to grasp the first part, that it didnt take as long for this since your 3d awareness would be much better at this point. One potential mistake that i would like to point out in your drawing since its present in all of the heads is that the position of the nose is too short length wise. having the nose positioned too short results in the bottom part having too much space and contribute to a bigger looking jaw. This in itself isn't that big of a problem, but when it comes to drawing girls it could look more masculine. Conversely for girls, positioning the nose lower would make the chin smaller and less masculine so it would be generally fine to do. For most average people, the position of the nose should be around the halfway point from the browbone to the chin. On a side note, the only time you would consistently see the nose position further up would be in babies or gigachad guys. However, a question that might contradict this is, if a shorter nose is undesirable then why does it look relatively fine in your nun's front view. While I'm not 100% sure, i have a pretty good idea why which i'll talk about after the whole process to not get side tracked

the last part is to finally draw the face and add some hair to make it look cool. When i looked over the sketch, i actually thought that your noses and mouths looked pretty fine. But, it was more so the eyes that looked the most odd, but only in the 3/4 one. foreshortening would definitely be almost unnoticeable given how close the two eyes are which you exaggerated quite a lot in yours. another thing that is off is the spacing of the eye. this is purely from my observation, but to make sure the eyes will look correct in almost every angle, the length of the largest eye should be able to snuggle in between both eyes. however, you are defiantly able to break this rule given the style is appropriate for it. an example of both cases would be helltaker are for cramped eyes, and grandblue fantasy for far apart eyes. thought for the most part, using this rule should work for most styles.

Now, back to the question about the nose length in the front angle that contradicts me saying the a short nose looks unappealing in females and average looking guys. The thing i suspect that makes it right in this case is because for a front view face, any accidental distortion like placing the nose in an odd area, or drawing the jaw weirdly may causes our eyes interpret the face to look like in a slightly different angle to compensate. In your case, the nose and mouth appear to be position more upwards then what should be idea. for me, my brain then clued in the rest and made the head look like she was facing slightly upwards, thus making the head actually viewed in a slight low angle.
here's an example i quickly drew up, which i drew in an anime style since it's a style Im most comfortable in and the quickest to draw up, but should work for this example

here i drew a front angle, and slightly low angle and a front angle again, but this time the nose and the mouth are shifted upwards. I also drew a ratio of the noses position which you can probably see better in a new tab. While slightly exaggerated, I hope that it shows the reason why your front angle looks fine, which is because you most likely didnt draw with a symmetry tool and those small human imperfection slowly accumulated and caused you to accidently draw the face that resembles the most like the middle one

anyways, this was longer then i expected, and i was planning to try to point out every mistake and also show examples of how the facial features would like in different angles, but i realised it would become a full blown tutorial. but if you still have questions on them i can follow it up, i just didnt want to make this post longer then it already is
Holy shit, my guy. You went above and beyond the call of duty here. Jesus. There's a lot to process but I'm trying to wrap my head around the front view nose thing you're talking about. Are you saying her nose is too short and high up?

Lank05

Nov 8, 2021
Holy shit, my guy. You went above and beyond the call of duty here. Jesus. There's a lot to process but I'm trying to wrap my head around the front view nose thing you're talking about. Are you saying her nose is too short and high up?
my bad, i might not have explained it too well. but yeah, I was basically saying that her nose was too high up in your first sketch which i don't really see the problem in the the second sketch since you shortened her chin which made her nose be at the halfway point for the brow to the chin. also, did the example with the anime girl make any sense?

Sinaxxr

Game Developer
Jan 9, 2019
my bad, i might not have explained it too well. but yeah, I was basically saying that her nose was too high up in your first sketch which i don't really see the problem in the the second sketch since you shortened her chin which made her nose be at the halfway point for the brow to the chin. also, did the example with the anime girl make any sense?
Yeah, your examples are great! I liked seeing how you'd attack the same problem. The loomis method seems awesome but a lot to learn. I've been using the "putz along until something looks right" method with mixed results.

You wouldn't happen to have any suggestions for how to better make her look like herself in the 3/4 view would you? Making faces that look the same in every angle is so difficult.

Lank05

Nov 8, 2021
Yeah, your examples are great! I liked seeing how you'd attack the same problem. The loomis method seems awesome but a lot to learn. I've been using the "putz along until something looks right" method with mixed results.

You wouldn't happen to have any suggestions for how to better make her look like herself in the 3/4 view would you? Making faces that look the same in every angle is so difficult.
hmm designing a character and making her look consistent is pretty hard to do and more so when your dont have much experience with it. my only experience doing so was this sheet.png
this probably took i'd say a week to do just to get these to look alike. but even then there is some inconsistency with the size of here eyes and the shape of her face.

on the top of my head, there are probably two approaches that i would do to help make more consistent characters. the first and easiest one is to base it off a something. if you haven't made the character yet, you could either easily reference a character sheet from a game/anime or using a model from a game as the base for your character and give it your own twist. if you already have a character then you would probably have to search for one that's looks the most like what you have in mind which may take longer. this way would ensure that your face is as consistent as possible since you always have a model doing the hard work of making sure everything is correct. The other and more difficult way is the fully measure your characters head in terms of its length, height, the ratio of an area in relation to the other and simplying the most impartant feature which are mostly likely their facial features into clear and easy to understand shapes. this forces you to fully understand the ins and out of your character and would also need a good it of 3d awareness warp those recognisable shapes into its appropriate perspective without losing it's clarity. I may have made the second method sound much harder then it is. but in general, im assuming that most people probably use a mix of the two or maybe another method that I'm not thinking of. they'll probably use a reference that matches alot of the features their character has which they would then measureand understand their character proportions and shapes.

4.80 star(s) 16 Votes