4.80 star(s) 16 Votes

Sinaxxr

Corrupting A Nun (Dev/Artist)
Game Developer
Jan 9, 2019
hmm designing a character and making her look consistent is pretty hard to do and more so when your dont have much experience with it. my only experience doing so was this View attachment 3132600
this probably took i'd say a week to do just to get these to look alike. but even then there is some inconsistency with the size of here eyes and the shape of her face.

on the top of my head, there are probably two approaches that i would do to help make more consistent characters. the first and easiest one is to base it off a something. if you haven't made the character yet, you could either easily reference a character sheet from a game/anime or using a model from a game as the base for your character and give it your own twist. if you already have a character then you would probably have to search for one that's looks the most like what you have in mind which may take longer. this way would ensure that your face is as consistent as possible since you always have a model doing the hard work of making sure everything is correct. The other and more difficult way is the fully measure your characters head in terms of its length, height, the ratio of an area in relation to the other and simplying the most impartant feature which are mostly likely their facial features into clear and easy to understand shapes. this forces you to fully understand the ins and out of your character and would also need a good it of 3d awareness warp those recognisable shapes into its appropriate perspective without losing it's clarity. I may have made the second method sound much harder then it is. but in general, im assuming that most people probably use a mix of the two or maybe another method that I'm not thinking of. they'll probably use a reference that matches alot of the features their character has which they would then measureand understand their character proportions and shapes.
I mean, from my point of view, you did a great job. Well done. Very cute character and very consistent as far as I can tell.

I've actually been doing some of what you're saying. I use rulers and guide lines to help line up the features and keep size consistent. It's not perfect but it goes a long way. I think I'm pretty weak when it comes to shapes and 3d stuff.

Capture.JPG

Without references I'd be truly lost. It's so much trial and error with this stuff.

Lank05

Nov 8, 2021
I mean, from my point of view, you did a great job. Well done. Very cute character and very consistent as far as I can tell.

I've actually been doing some of what you're saying. I use rulers and guide lines to help line up the features and keep size consistent. It's not perfect but it goes a long way. I think I'm pretty weak when it comes to shapes and 3d stuff.

View attachment 3132644

Without references I'd be truly lost. It's so much trial and error with this stuff.
Thanks! Also, I think where you are in terms of your art skills, I don't think that you should be too stressed with the results looking right.
Since its pretty hard to make things look great or fully correct without alot of practice.
The suggestion I said before are pretty intense and could easily burn you out if you aren't getting the results you expect with them. It's great you're using guidelines and a good way to keep them more consistent. At this point, it's probably better to simply trial and error things out without much expectation on whether or not it comes out looking like Mona Lisa and getting feedback either from your own eye or others. Keep up the work, you already put in so much effort and it looks much better then before.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Sinaxxr
Sep 27, 2020
View attachment 3132429

Alright. I really do think we're making some progress. This stuff is tricky business. (Especially 3/4 view apparently)

I give my thanks to the several of you that have given their help already.

If you have any more tips, tricks, or ideas that may improve what we have here, feel free to share. (No offense taken so no need to be shy; I want you folks to enjoy what you see in my game.)
BIG improvement!
Keep it up. Only way to get better is to keep trying!

• Red Heart

Sinaxxr

Game Developer
Jan 9, 2019
Your profile angle is relatively fine. The 3/4 view needs a lot of work.
Edit: Incoherent rambling ahead. I apologize lol
I think the problem here is that you are overthinking how perspective works. I can tell because one eye is drastically smaller than the other. So the thought process might be "well this eye is further away from the camera, so it should be smaller." This is only ever the case if you're using a super wide-angled camera lens and it's shoved right up in her face. Otherwise the half an inch difference in depth between the two aren't going to make a difference in perceived size.
Here's some basic construction lines I threw together in MS Paint (I'm no Loomis).
View attachment 3131624
Other issues that I'm seeing is that her cranium is too large (or maybe she's just big brained). Using the rest of her to scale, I marked around where her bald head should be located. Then the hairline should be brought down to around the same distance from the eyebrows as the mouth is to the nose.
It also looks like you drew the nose before the eyes. This might work on a front-on portrait, but I've personally found that when at an angle drawing the eyes first and then the nose on top of the far eye works better. I find that I often tend to cram the eye in where it doesn't belong if I do it the other way around.

If you're drawing something and find that it looks "off", the best thing you can do is flip the canvas horizontally (so that your image is mirrored). This will always show you your flaws and allow you to correct them (even the ones you didn't know where there!)
I removed her megamind powers like you suggested. Haha. Still honing things and fixing flaws as I find them.

EDIT: It's kind of interesting actually how her big head looks like we're looking down on her head somehow. It looks warped. Neat stuff.

Capture.JPG

Reactions: randomgamer986
Sep 22, 2017
I removed her megamind powers like you suggested. Haha. Still honing things and fixing flaws as I find them.

EDIT: It's kind of interesting actually how her big head looks like we're looking down on her head somehow. It looks warped. Neat stuff.

View attachment 3133816
Remember that hair has volume to it. Unless your hair is exceptionally thin or sopping wet, it's going to naturally grow away from the scalp. I would also bring her hairline down a bit. On the average face, the distance between the chin and the nose, the nose and the eyebrows, and the eyebrows and the hairline are equal. Of course every face is different and there is always some wiggle-room, but it's a good solid foundation to have. When I doodled over her to try and adjust her proportions to what look more natural to my (very untrained) eye, I actually ended up making her head a little bigger so that her hairline wouldn't be sitting so close to the top of her head (and end up looking receded).
I know it's not the same style at all (and I accidentally took a few artistic liberties like her nose size, oops), but here's my shitty fanart lol. Hopefully the changes in proportion are apparent.
1701474639122.png
One thing that I find helps a lot is that once you do your under-sketch, flip the canvas and use whatever your software's equivalent of Liquify (Distort Move brush here in Krita) to push pieces of the drawing around to more natural places. If you do this, flip the canvas again, and repeat a few times you'll eventually find it where it looks more natural. Then you either do another sketch over it or just go ahead and do your lineart. Playing around with a messy sketch like playdough helps to make it feel less like you're ruining your hard work lol.

Karnewarrior

Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit this thread just became like an art textbook

It's too much, too much! I can feel my IQ rising! Gotta fight it! Quick, someone say something really stupid!

• Haha

Sinaxxr

Game Developer
Jan 9, 2019
Remember that hair has volume to it. Unless your hair is exceptionally thin or sopping wet, it's going to naturally grow away from the scalp. I would also bring her hairline down a bit. On the average face, the distance between the chin and the nose, the nose and the eyebrows, and the eyebrows and the hairline are equal. Of course every face is different and there is always some wiggle-room, but it's a good solid foundation to have. When I doodled over her to try and adjust her proportions to what look more natural to my (very untrained) eye, I actually ended up making her head a little bigger so that her hairline wouldn't be sitting so close to the top of her head (and end up looking receded).
I know it's not the same style at all (and I accidentally took a few artistic liberties like her nose size, oops), but here's my shitty fanart lol. Hopefully the changes in proportion are apparent.
View attachment 3134848
One thing that I find helps a lot is that once you do your under-sketch, flip the canvas and use whatever your software's equivalent of Liquify (Distort Move brush here in Krita) to push pieces of the drawing around to more natural places. If you do this, flip the canvas again, and repeat a few times you'll eventually find it where it looks more natural. Then you either do another sketch over it or just go ahead and do your lineart. Playing around with a messy sketch like playdough helps to make it feel less like you're ruining your hard work lol.
Very nice! Hair has been hard to figure out. I'm definitely going to have another go at it. Thanks for the advice!
Holy shit this thread just became like an art textbook

It's too much, too much! I can feel my IQ rising! Gotta fight it! Quick, someone say something really stupid!
doodle-bob-me-hoy-minoy.gif

Sinaxxr

Game Developer
Jan 9, 2019
Okay, guys and gals. I think we've brought her a long way. This is her latest look. I think I've covered most of your suggestions and come up with a fairly decent compromise between what she was and what she could be. I think I'll move forward using this version for now and start updating the cam art using the new look. I'll need to redo the side and 3/4 view but I'm not going to do that right now. I want to make some progress on the next update. The next update will likely mostly be about updating the cam art and maybe an extra scene or two. We'll see. Thank you very much for all the help. Couldn't do it without you.

Capture.JPG

Sep 22, 2017
Okay, guys and gals. I think we've brought her a long way. This is her latest look. I think I've covered most of your suggestions and come up with a fairly decent compromise between what she was and what she could be. I think I'll move forward using this version for now and start updating the cam art using the new look. I'll need to redo the side and 3/4 view but I'm not going to do that right now. I want to make some progress on the next update. The next update will likely mostly be about updating the cam art and maybe an extra scene or two. We'll see. Thank you very much for all the help. Couldn't do it without you.

View attachment 3136386
Definitely an improvement! Good job!

• Red Heart

Sinaxxr

Game Developer
Jan 9, 2019
The fate of Sister Mary's breast size is being decided over the next 24 hours on my Patreon if any of you would like to sneak in there last minute and try to alter her fate. (This poll is open for either tier)

BoobPollF95.gif

Karnewarrior

Oct 28, 2017
It will - consider that big tits ARE the default "hot gurl" here. The poll was almost certainly never going to be in itty bitty's favor.

Democratizing fetishes will do that to ya - see half the quests on Fiction.Live for further examples. The more majority rules, the more the girls will zone in on the "not a bimbo yet" blonde/redhead virgin with big knockers who's a turbosub and may or may not have cat/elf ears.

Just how the statistical spread of preferences tends to even out.

Sep 27, 2020
Unfortunate I felt thematically the smaller boobs would have been better.
the bigger boobs could have been like an upgrade by convincing her to message her boobs or something.

I am personally a fan of medium boobs.

Sinaxxr

Game Developer
Jan 9, 2019
Unfortunate I felt thematically the smaller boobs would have been better.
the bigger boobs could have been like an upgrade by convincing her to message her boobs or something.

I am personally a fan of medium boobs.
I'm a big fan of the small boobs on her and originally intended for her to have smaller boobs, but Sister Mary is also short and small so even with bigger boobs, they are still small comparatively to Mother Margaret's massive cans.

Reactions: randomgamer986
Sep 27, 2020
I'm a big fan of the small boobs on her and originally intended for her to have smaller boobs, but Sister Mary is also short and small so even with bigger boobs, they are still small comparatively to Mother Margaret's massive cans.
oh boy when is the mother margaret sneak peak?

4.80 star(s) 16 Votes