throbzombie

Oct 15, 2020
I don't want to say this, really, because usually it's a cop out, but this is my opinion. I think you're brought out all of these guys who outrank me because you think I'm trying to speak some sort of gospel truth or whatever. I'm not. This is my opinion. These are the ideas that I've come away with from my own experience playing video games. I feel very strongly about my opinions, which is why I'm defending them, but whatever you're trying to accomplish by posting all of this stuff, it's not going to happen.

yuzuyo

Jan 31, 2022
I said combat was secondary, not gameplay. Are you blind or just bad at English?
What a pathetic, pedantic commentary. I meant combat. What the fuck would I be referring to, if not combat? Speech checks? Fuck me.

You can't address a SINGLE point I made. Not one. Old bad, that's what you're saying.

I'm not giving opinions, by the way, I'm making FACTS clearer. Combat has been the most important aspect of virtual RPGs since the inception of the genre. Story was secondary. That's a fact. You're flat out wrong to say combat is not as important as fucking story. The entirety of dungeon crawlers proves my point.

You ignored everything I wrote, but I'm going to hammer the tabletop part again. People choose to play old editions because they enjoy their combat more, and I'm not talking about a handful of players. In the same way, if the combat is bad, a lot of people stay away, an example being Vampire, the masquerade OR requiem. Explain that to me, seeing how combat is such a minor nuisance.

Edit: actually, don't. I'm tired of this nonsense already and I don't want the jannies breathing down my neck.

Skyrim is terrible at everything.

...I have nothing to add to the general discussion, I just want to take this opportunity to bash Skyrim.
I can't handle playing Skyrim without mods. I really cannot. But I love this broken junk with requiem. I like having a considerable amount of mods, but requiem is my bread and butter, and the only way for me to enjoy Skyrim properly.

Combat is, at least, equal to the freedom tabletop RPGs gives. That's why so many people still play DnD 3.5 and many others avoid very good settings like what World of Darkness provides. If combat was that minor, people would be less hesitant to play games with very good settings but bad combat. No one would gravitate so strongly towards old editions and the hate for Dnd 5e and V5 wouldn't be so widespread.

Well, let's stop here before the jannies come out of the woods.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017
What a pathetic, pedantic commentary. I meant combat. What the fuck would I be referring to, if not combat? Speech checks? Fuck me.

You can't address a SINGLE point I made. Not one. Old bad, that's what you're saying.

I'm not giving opinions, by the way, I'm making FACTS clearer. Combat has been the most important aspect of virtual RPGs since the inception of the genre. Story was secondary. That's a fact. You're flat out wrong to say combat is not as important as fucking story. The entirety of dungeon crawlers proves my point.

You ignored everything I wrote, but I'm going to hammer the tabletop part again. People choose to play old editions because they enjoy their combat more, and I'm not talking about a handful of players. In the same way, if the combat is bad, a lot of people stay away, an example being Vampire, the masquerade OR requiem. Explain that to me, seeing how combat is such a minor nuisance.
Speech checks? SPEECH CHECKS? OH THE HUMANITY! *curls up in a foetal position* ab67616d0000b273040c7bb8b15c215a354e6f53.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: jfmherokiller

muschi26

Engaged Member
Jun 22, 2019
Skyrim is terrible at everything.

...I have nothing to add to the general discussion, I just want to take this opportunity to bash Skyrim.
I love to bash on Skyrim as well, but, having played a couple hundred hours of it, I have to recognize it does two things very well: it’s a good sandbox environment (the content’s shit, but there’s a lot of it, and you can go through it however you want), and the modding community is second to none.

Nov 24, 2020
>Oi, it's been a while, let me check CoC2 Thread to see what sort of stuff Savin and Co got up this time to learn what to do and not do when designing and writing a game
>Bethesda game slander

Honestly, I am probably going to be facepalmed for saying this, but I like Bethesda games. They are jank, kinda bland, kinda iffy in most ways, and all of their elements actually kinda sucked when looked under. Then I spend like, hours playing them regardless and then even more time modding them out. According to the internet, I have brain damage and is a Bethesda soyboy, but if anything, I don't really regret my time spent on them, so there is that. To be honest, Bethesda is the funniest videogame company in the industry in my opinion, but regardless.

That being said, who the heck said that combat never mattered for RPG? As Gabe himself said - a good game needs to react to you. If you shot a wall and it doesn't leave a bullet hole - the game ignores you, it breaks your ego, your immersion. Combat is HOW character building interacts with a world of the game. It's why it's really hard to sell mainstream people on games that don't focus on it. Skyrim combat is terrible, I spend like 30 hours modding it out to make it decent, but I still enjoyed the game.

muschi26

Engaged Member
Jun 22, 2019
I'm going to hammer the tabletop part again. People choose to play old editions because they enjoy their combat more, and I'm not talking about a handful of players. In the same way, if the combat is bad, a lot of people stay away, an example being Vampire, the masquerade OR requiem. Explain that to me, seeing how combat is such a minor nuisance.
The main reason most people play tabletop RPGs, I think, is for the narrative experience. With this in mind, it’s obvious that people would gravitate towards those games which have the better combat systems, because the narrative aspect is handled mostly by the people around the table, not the game itself.

Comiies

Aug 27, 2022
>Oi, it's been a while, let me check CoC2 Thread to see what sort of stuff Savin and Co got up this time to learn what to do and not do when designing and writing a game
>Bethesda game slander

Honestly, I am probably going to be facepalmed for saying this, but I like Bethesda games.
Listen i also love the doom series and fallout but my god has bethesda made anyones life harder when trying to even THINK of defending her.Like my god how the fuck does that shit space game get most innovative game of the year?Becuase its in space and it has boring overused tech that make sci-fi sounds and make the coomsumers brain feel better about the 60 bucks he spend?I dont get it man.Bethesda for me is doom and some fallout games,thats all.

Reactions: Robotai

Quintilus

Engaged Member
Aug 8, 2020
Underrail
No??? After I failed character creation two times in a row (first time jack of all trades, it supposed to be shit but here it completely unplayable, second pure melee fighter that spent most of it play time running into city and out to get a free heal, since buying medikit, or other healing items, forced me to play with a bare hands) by unabling to pass on of the first quests 'beat some dog like creatures' which some hobo outside of a city gives, I realize that game expect from me to know EXACTLY it entire rpg system in all details, it quirks, and so on before I even started playing it. Which is a massive 'what? how?' moment.

In other rpgs I was able to make at least some progress with shitty build, before shittines of a build become way too obvious.
In fallout 1 I was able to pass up to the shady sands and do some quests there with a dumb fuck that knows only how to finger butthole.
In fallout 2 pass temple and reach klamat.
In 'what can change the nature of a man' leave mortarium and do some fighting in...sewers, or something.

Point is, I was able to progress, if even barely, in others rpg with shitty builds, unlike rails underground

Walk Cycle

Dec 18, 2018
probably cause they haven't released "content" in almost 3 weeks now
I can't even remember interacting with any of the content they've released in four months. The latest goblin broke that streak and even that was subpar. The goblin witch that shows up in the frostwoods is better.

claralover

Engaged Member
Nov 2, 2017
I can't even remember interacting with any of the content they've released in four months. The latest goblin broke that streak and even that was subpar. The goblin witch that shows up in the frostwoods is better.
there's been A LOT of disappointment over the last year of releases for sure. their updates are getting scarcer and less interesting, which always sucks to see. I'd like to think they're just holding out on us, but thats not realistic lol

Reactions: Walk Cycle

claralover

Engaged Member
Nov 2, 2017
'Yo, heard about that ten dudes on that one forum that thinks that our game is garbage?'
'Sure, I am'
'Lets make our game even more shittier, to prove them that they were wrong about it and it was good!!!'
'Ye baby, lets fucking do this!!!!'
"how could they possible make it worse?" -unaware

Nov 24, 2020
Like my god how the fuck does that shit space game get most innovative game of the year?
Same how how RDR2 got "Labor of Love' despite it's online not being updated in several years because they couldn't milk it as much as GTA Online. I love Steam, I really do, but Steam awards are arguably worse than TGA. Steam has an online of around several MILLION users online at the same time - and, sorry for sounding like I need to touch grass, but, do you really expect society at large to have good judgment? Chances are people saw a game they actually played because some people nominated it as a joke and voted because "oh, I know this one!".

Also, while I get that Starfield disappointed a lot of people, the amount of milking the game got from literally any online publication is insane. Seriously, any bad thing happening with Starfield gets news coverage with thousands of views to essentially say the same old generic crap that everyone repeats. Sure, they are good showcases of it's issues, entire 8 hours essays, but Starfield is so easy to make fun of that for me it's a low hanging fruit. Not to mention, the amount of shitty clickbait takes like "Modders are quitting Starfield!" literally when a single guy who made like, 1 massive mod for Skyrim that took years of development and drama not willing to waste his time doing that for a game he doesn't enjoy.

2.90 star(s) 107 Votes