Quintilus

Engaged Member
Aug 8, 2020
high stakes plot that doesn't punish you in any way for fucking around
Most of the times punishment is "YOU IDIOT GAME OVER", as in other games, which is.....
There are still no game, at least I dont know any, that allows you to fail a subquest of a main quest and continue to live with all consequences that its fail brings.

Skandranon

Nov 28, 2016
Most of the times punishment is "YOU IDIOT GAME OVER", as in other games, which is.....
There are still no game, at least I dont know any, that allows you to fail a subquest of a main quest and continue to live with all consequences that its fail brings.
There are some. Mostly CRPG type games.

Definitely not common though.

Daken9

Apr 28, 2017
Probably explained it wrong. Was talking about the kinda plot that instills a high sense of urgency but doesn't punish the player in any way for wasting time. Think you gotta find a cure for terminal death in 2 days but it's no biggy if it takes 10, just unneccesary stakes. Not that bad in TiTS, but still takes me out that the race against the rival is more like a backward crawl for who gets last.

Tau_Iota

Aug 22, 2018
Probably explained it wrong. Was talking about the kinda plot that instills a high sense of urgency but doesn't punish the player in any way for wasting time. Think you gotta find a cure for terminal death in 2 days but it's no biggy if it takes 10, just unneccesary stakes. Not that bad in TiTS, but still takes me out that the race against the rival is more like a backward crawl for who gets last.
How would you get around it though? You can't have an open world with all this extra stuff to do on a deadline, at least not until an ending is implemented. Would you add a timer? Remove the urgency and thereby remove the plot?

Granted they kinda wrote themselves into this corner, but aside from finishing the game to be able to add a tangible time limit what can they do?

Skandranon

Nov 28, 2016
Examples?
inb4 fallout 2
...New Vegas?

I guess it kinda depends on what you mean by subquest if the main plot.

How would you get around it though? You can't have an open world with all this extra stuff to do on a deadline, at least not until an ending is implemented. Would you add a timer? Remove the urgency and thereby remove the plot?

Granted they kinda wrote themselves into this corner, but aside from finishing the game to be able to add a tangible time limit what can they do?
I feel like pretty much all games do this, though, especially ones with lots of exploration.

I spent a hell of a long time in FF7 looking at the giant planet destroying Meteor hanging in the sky while I was running around racing chocobos for dozens of hours.

Reactions: Wrynn13

Amnelis

Nov 24, 2020
Way I see it, having sex in these games is like getting a beer with someone. You're buds, you're horny, what's there to think about? I don't think locking sex behind walls of text is what makes good characters (that isn't to say that can't work), but if the character grows closer to you over time that makes them good.

It's a weak example because it's about dominance rather than love but look at Berwyn. You have enough of the right kind of sex with him, and he acts differently with you and will even father a child with you. Now just replace the "sex to get different sex" with different activities that showcase your growing bond as two people rather than fuckbuddies. Example: getting closer to Brint by playing skeeball together, chilling by a lake, getting beers at a pub other than any one Cait would frequent, going to a sports game, and it showcases the emotional connection rather than the physical. Show the player that the two of you have bonded yknow?
Yeah their world is way more lax about sex in general. It's one of the reasons the defeat scenes work so well IMO, having no choice but submiting to some thief or orc who beat you is more of a inconvenience or embarassment than anything. But still as you mentioned I believe most people would treat casual sex vs sex in a relationship differently. One problem with Brint is that he goes super romantic very quick. In my male playthrough I'd rather he had a fuck buddy type relationship yet they are now all lovey dovey and IIRC even call each other boyfriend in some scenes.

8 characters isn't even THAT much to flesh out anyway if they properly focused on them and actually had multiple people writing one companion without completely fucking it up.
I was gonna mention this in my recent coment, the ideal definitely would be for multiple writers to work on a single companion so progress and updates are not at the mercy of one person. It would require people to set their egos aside and play nice though.

M0nte

Oct 4, 2020
One problem with Brint is that he goes super romantic very quick. In my male playthrough I'd rather he had a fuck buddy type relationship yet they are now all lovey dovey and IIRC even call each other boyfriend in some scenes.
How would you make transition from fuckbuddies to friends make more natural? Like, tie the guy's progression to couple of events where player chooses if they want to romantically pursue him or not?

Amnelis

Nov 24, 2020
How would you make transition from fuckbuddies to friends make more natural? Like, tie the guy's progression to couple of events where player chooses if they want to romantically pursue him or not?
Yeah something along those lines. Doesn't even need to have multiple events, after going through a few of the of available sex scenes + regular conversation you'd get the chance to chose if you wanted to keep things casual or go for a deeper relationship. Like Aileh but not so abruptly. It's definitelly not "natural" and still pretty gamey but just the chance to define your relationship with major characters would be welcomed.

From the perspective of my female playthrough, especially as I first began to play the game since the very early releases, it did felt fairly natural how they she & Brint went from fuck buddies to lovers. But after reading a comment raising this issue & starting a male playthrough myself I realized it's a bit frustrating how you're kinda forced into it. IIRC I haven't gone on dates with Brint with my male MC, I think that would be a good event to determine your relationship with him.

Daken9

Apr 28, 2017

Don't really need to remove it, only adjust it. In TiTS' case maybe have the rival take off with the thingies if you take too long, or alternatively have a whole few quests to even find out the coordinates, or something like that.

But really, if a game's strength unanimously lies with the side-content then having a main plot that encourages rushing through is counterproductive. Only gonna write yourself into a corner, like you said. Much better to go with a more basic main plot that for all intents and purpose is only there to tie together and give meaning to the experience, but otherwise serves and puts front and center the side-stuff. Mass Effect 2 is probably a dirty example because it's arguably the best game to have done such a thing (and to have also pulled off the urgency thing decentely), but really lots of cRPGs do this kinda thing.

And going back to CoC2, credit where credit is due, it is quite clean how the main plot takes us all over the place and in so doing actually incentives in-character exploration. Much better than TiTS' 3 main planets and then go explore the other 10 side-ones just 'cause.

Last edited:

Kroenen12

May 25, 2020
:BootyTime:....... well there is still the option of burning the kitsune lair
"Yeah, they have vigorous mating sex for a few days straight in-game, only coming out when Azami admits she's pregnant. She then goes about retiring from active duty with the scouts, all so she can focus on being a mom. And then Takahiro tells you that you can be his fuckbuddy/second wife whenever you're around."
1656896968508.jpeg

M0nte

Oct 4, 2020
Hmmm. Not sure who has it worst there. Male champs not even being considered husbands (I think that is what that text is implying) or female champs being settled with the title of second wife.
Do we get the option to refuse Azami when it comes to rehabilitating Takahiro?

Last edited:

arls120

Sep 12, 2020
I suppose that whoever was in charge of writing the content if I used some of his IQ would realize that Takahiro does not have and will not get enough interest for someone to consider rehabilitating him and whoever does it would only do it, perhaps out of pity, he will put the option of simply ignore it and let it stay as it is.

I just realized that according to the fenoxo forum and correct me if I'm wrong it's BubbleLord ......... I don't understand it seems that he is too busy to write some content for quint, but he has no problem writing this garbage for takahiro , I think he did not learn anything when they told him to add a button to ignore not only quint but also takahiro ............ I really want to know who gave him the idea that a threesome relationship would work for taka well he would have smoked the same herb that he smokes tobs.

Kroenen12

May 25, 2020
Hmmm. Not sure who has it worst there. Male champs not even being considered husbands (I think that is what that text is implying) or female champs being settled with the title of second wife.
Do we get the option to refuse Azami when it comes to rehabilitating Takahiro.
uhhhhhhhhhh
it gets worse...and cringe...very cringe
i feel so dirty after reading it :HideThePain:

Kroenen12

May 25, 2020
Do we get the option to refuse Azami when it comes to rehabilitating Takahiro?
I just realized that according to the fenoxo forum and correct me if I'm wrong it's BubbleLord ......... I don't understand it seems that he is too busy to write some content for quint, but he has no problem writing this garbage for takahiro , I think he did not learn anything when they told him to add a button to ignore not only quint but also takahiro ............ I really want to know who gave him the idea that a threesome relationship would work for taka well he would have smoked the same herb that he smokes tobs.
:HideThePain:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

M0nte

Oct 4, 2020
How can a champion of Keros be a concubine. Wouldn't that make them both our concubines technically since we are of higher clout?
Well, this makes me look forward to Tetsuo even more.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kai D Grim

Tau_Iota

Aug 22, 2018

It really is a shame when they add Kitsune content because I avoid proccing any of that content. So it's basically just a hotfix to me :KEK:

2.90 star(s) 107 Votes