♂Brout&Minou♀

Engaged Member
Jul 30, 2020
No, my apologies.
Ok thanks to answering. It would be nice to put the abandoned tag on this one though.
BTW I think your game has a lot of potential (from what I've been able to see so far in this build) but you will need to work on... Let's say a lot of aspects of the game. first all the writing. Not that I like grind games, but a bit more daily tasks, and more info on NPCs and the protog of course would be nice, make more consistent choices (eg: I made her take the pills all the time but she still got pregnant, or i chose to go there to the motel with her friend to fuck (can't remember his name) rather than come home at night and get raped , but when she chats with Miriam outside the brothel, she still says she was raped by her thug...W...T...F???). Also "hehehehe" every two sentences really get on the nerves. well...I'll come back to my feedback when I have tried your revamp.
Carry on captain. For a first release, it's a good sample. ;)

Last edited:

bluerubber

Apr 29, 2019
Is the reboot because of significant rewrites or because you improved your graphics? If it's graphics related, I feel like this move (abandon/reboot) is a huge marketing/progress error on your part. Doing this so early on while building a reputation will likely backfire. I think it would have been better to close this as chapter 1 or maybe season 1 and then marking as "complete" instead of the suicidal "abandoned" mark. Then moving forward with a new chapter and just picking up where this one left off. The concept of this game had me watching closely, but now I have pause without an explanation given. Just my 2 cents.

♂Brout&Minou♀

Engaged Member
Jul 30, 2020
Is the reboot because of significant rewrites or because you improved your graphics? If it's graphics related, I feel like this move (abandon/reboot) is a huge marketing/progress error on your part. Doing this so early on while building a reputation will likely backfire. I think it would have been better to close this as chapter 1 or maybe season 1 and then marking as "complete" instead of the suicidal "abandoned" mark. Then moving forward with a new chapter and just picking up where this one left off. The concept of this game had me watching closely, but now I have pause without an explanation given. Just my 2 cents.
There are a lot of bugs, holes or things to fix in this version. I think on the contrary that it is common sense to do an overhaul as soon as possible under these conditions. You'll never build a big, sturdy tower on a wet cardboard shack.
I get what you mean though, regarding the "Abandoned" tag, but nothing suicidal. To rename it to chapter 1 and pretend that it is finished in this state is what would be suicidal. A good communication on the OP to explain the changes and the revamp and the players will understand. Communicating and asking for help from the community of players, but especially Devs is important to progress in game development.
Just my two cent too

bluerubber

Apr 29, 2019
There are a lot of bugs, holes or things to fix in this version. I think on the contrary that it is common sense to do an overhaul as soon as possible under these conditions. You'll never build a big, sturdy tower on a wet cardboard shack.
I get what you mean though, regarding the "Abandoned" tag, but nothing suicidal. To rename it to chapter 1 and pretend that it is finished in this state is what would be suicidal. A good communication on the OP to explain the changes and the revamp and the players will understand. Communicating and asking for help from the community of players, but especially Devs is important to progress in game development.
Just my two cent too
Like I said, if it's more than graphic improvement based, then I understand rebooting it. The dev had previously mentioned efforts to upgrade their graphics card, and if that is the foundational reason, then it will just be more of the same with only marginal improvements that are not worth the effort. If the reason for rebooting is more than just graphics such as things you mentioned, then sure it's worth it...as long as the dev makes it explicitly clear of the things to improve in the new version. But they must be significant improvements or it just ends up being a cardboard foundation instead of a paper foundation. The dev also needs to be very clear of this reasoning on this versions top page, as the reboot still isn't officially approved in new games and as a result people only see this abandoned version and have no clue a new one is out.

The biggest thing to worry about with reboots is the time it takes for the new version to catch up in the story to the old version..most devs take months even years in some cases to catch back up to the previous story. That can be hugely harmful to peoples interests. OceanLab's Where it all Began was totally ruined because of exactly this reason. It's been maybe 3 years of them rewriting that game and they still only have chapter 1 done with 5 more chapters just to catch back up to their half written story. I supported them on patreon for maybe a year of throwing my money away before I finally realized their deception.

Reactions: ♂Brout&Minou♀

Deleted member 865821

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2018
Just my two cent too

This ^

No, the reboot is because the significant amount of bugs and the inconsistent way I was telling the story with a gameplay that I didn't feel comfortable doing. Another reason and perhaps the most essential is because I decided to do the reboot is that during the months that I have been making this game I have been improving my coding skills.
Since I decided to start this project I had 0 knowledge of how to make a game. That explains why the script is so messed up and fixing it would mean rewriting the whole script from scratch (and will mean a significant harm to my mental health) , more months of development in a format (Visual Novel) in which it was never my objective to make and I am not happy about it.

When I started this project my inspiration was clear and I decided to make a similar game to this. However, I never expected to have people's expectation and support for this game, the concept of this type of games (VN) requires more narrative quality and perfect grammar from my side (which I never intended to focus on).

As a consequence of this, many people who supported me on patreon and followed this game closer lost the interest due to the continuous changes in the game with every update. But those changes are what allowed me to grow as a developer and learn more about making video games in renpy. I managed to set a clear goal with the reboot and still a few of those who still support me understood my goal from the beginning and they are still there with the revamp.

I'm sorry for disappointing those of you who stuck with this concept but for me it was continue it or drop it (as listed below, script issues, lack of experience, writting and and unfulfilled expectations), but I'm not a fan of leave things unfinished. Sorry for the grammar issues lol.

Thanks for the support and feedback to you guys.
Regards.

Reactions: ♂Brout&Minou♀

♂Brout&Minou♀

Engaged Member
Jul 30, 2020
Like I said, if it's more than graphic improvement based, then I understand rebooting it. The dev had previously mentioned efforts to upgrade their graphics card, and if that is the foundational reason, then it will just be more of the same with only marginal improvements that are not worth the effort. If the reason for rebooting is more than just graphics such as things you mentioned, then sure it's worth it...as long as the dev makes it explicitly clear of the things to improve in the new version. But they must be significant improvements or it just ends up being a cardboard foundation instead of a paper foundation. The dev also needs to be very clear of this reasoning on this versions top page, as the reboot still isn't officially approved in new games and as a result people only see this abandoned version and have no clue a new one is out.

The biggest thing to worry about with reboots is the time it takes for the new version to catch up in the story to the old version..most devs take months even years in some cases to catch back up to the previous story. That can be hugely harmful to peoples interests. OceanLab's Where it all Began was totally ruined because of exactly this reason. It's been maybe 3 years of them rewriting that game and they still only have chapter 1 done with 5 more chapters just to catch back up to their half written story. I supported them on patreon for maybe a year of throwing my money away before I finally realized their deception.
Yeah, unfortunately some developers end up only milking their patreons. Sadly I guess the next chapter of OnceanLabe will be "Where it all ends"

bluerubber

Apr 29, 2019
Yeah, unfortunately some developers end up only milking their patreons. Sadly I guess the next chapter of OnceanLabe will be "Where it all ends"
Yea really sad and bizarre, because I initially started supporting that developer specifically because of their previously impeccable track record of regular and significant update history up to that point..

Knucklenaut

Dec 16, 2018
Lmfao the dev abandoned this pretty decent VN to instead work on a SANDBOX reboot. I've never seen a more definitive self-sabotage than this, dude just bodied any success this would have had.

Reactions: Gudil

Mythos079

Jan 5, 2022
Lmfao the dev abandoned this pretty decent VN to instead work on a SANDBOX reboot. I've never seen a more definitive self-sabotage than this, dude just bodied any success this would have had.
I was thinking the same: I found this project interesting, until I saw the revamp it's a sandbox. Another disappointment I'll not follow anymore.
Also I just saw on Patreon that he's planning to add minigames: another classic ingredient for a failure.

3.00 star(s) 6 Votes