Others Crisis Point: Extinction [v0.47] [Anon42]

4.60 star(s) 29 Votes

Anon42

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
A shame that is. I thought I didn't like metroidvanias as a kid because I kept getting stuck on metroid games as a bab. Played Hollow Knight though and I was sucked in. Turns out I just don't like the metroid part of metroidvanias, haha. Cool update though. The area does look really striking with the color palette.
I'd love to get back to it, it's just a matter of finding the time! I've heard nothing but praise for Hollow Knight so I figure I definitely should play through the entire thing at some point.

I'm going to point out that Samus Returns (The 3DS remake of Metroid 2) took two years to develop, using an engine already written and use in similar games (It's the Mercury Engine, which was already used for Castlevania Mirror of Fate). So a powerhouse like Nintendo and an established dev team of MercurySteam took two years to make a game that was a remake. This taking five years so far, with all that we've seen and played, with constant updates from the dev? I'd say that while I do wish it was finished too, it's not a bad timeline in perspective.
I appreciate that, thank you! I do completely understand where they're coming from, though; nobody is as frustrated as I am that CPE still isn't done. I definitely didn't expect it to take this long, being overly ambitious is easily the biggest mistake I've made while developing it. Not that I'm unhappy with how the game's turning out, far from it - I think it's genuinely pretty fantastic for being my first real game - I'm just not happy with the speed I've gotten to this point. We've reached a speed I'm much happier with now though, and I'm not about to quit or give up, so all that's left to do at this point is go full steam ahead towards the finish line, even if it still takes a while to get there!

Is this a bug specific to 0.37.1? After defeating the mud boss and going to the eastern door to meet the female aliens, if you leave the area before entering the door, it closes and the opening event doesn't seem to trigger again, making you stuck outside. I just loaded my most recent save to get around it, but it might be worth mentioning here.
Thanks for reporting it! It was indeed fixed after v0.37 - if anyone else in the topic runs into it, there's actually ANOTHER bug that allows you to open the door whenever you want by standing near the closed door and opening your pause menu, then closing it again. Rather convenient there's a bug that lets you get around the bug :p

Reactions: gemini20xx

gemini20xx

Oct 17, 2017
I'm just not happy with the speed I've gotten to this point. We've reached a speed I'm much happier with now though, and I'm not about to quit or give up, so all that's left to do at this point is go full steam ahead towards the finish line, even if it still takes a while to get there!
I say don't rush, there are far too many games out there with glitches that never got fixed because time wasn't taken to check over everything, ended up needing to release a patch to fix, which ended up breaking something else.

Just look at Agents of Mayhem for example, I remember having to constantly restart missions because it wouldn't let me do the next objective, and I'm pretty sure that glitch its STILL there!

Onfire1212

Oct 7, 2017
Fun game, got stuck. Would recommend to people who actually know how to play metriod-like games. Guess I'm too bad to progress any further. Hope it completes and people enjoy it even more.

Anon42

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
I say don't rush, there are far too many games out there with glitches that never got fixed because time wasn't taken to check over everything, ended up needing to release a patch to fix, which ended up breaking something else.

Just look at Agents of Mayhem for example, I remember having to constantly restart missions because it wouldn't let me do the next objective, and I'm pretty sure that glitch its STILL there!
No worries - I have no intention of sacrificing quality for development speed. The game won't be out until it's good and ready. I just know that I can get it done faster than we've been moving up to this point.

Fun game, got stuck. Would recommend to people who actually know how to play metriod-like games. Guess I'm too bad to progress any further. Hope it completes and people enjoy it even more.
Where did you get stuck? I'm happy to help you figure out what to do, if you're still interested in playing more.

xigva

Dec 28, 2018
I love the background parallaxes in the above gifs, very neat looking environment. Love the poison Alraune preview gif as well. Mating press, ftw. <3

Reactions: Anon42

dw9000

Nov 27, 2017
Out of curiosity does anyone have a save file to share? i lost my progression and honestly running same area over and over is getting kinda... dull, I know most of the bugs in those starting areas have been found and tweaked/patched out. Trying to find the ones further into the game of newly added content is what im trying to do.

Anon42

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
(The following is (mostly) a copy-paste from our If you like what you see, )

Electric Mines.gif

Hey everybody! This is going to be a small update; most of our work this week has been on the secret tileset stuff I mentioned recently. Before we get into that, though, the gif up above!

In v0.39 there were small floating orbs that hurt Alicia if she got too close to them; I didn't have the time to give them a proper visual last update, but I worked on 'em this week, and this is what came out of it. I'm still tweaking and improving the visuals a bit (there have already been improvements even since this gif was recorded), but they look much less WIP now!

That's the only visual thing this week I'm afraid, since the rest of the visuals we worked on are from the secret stuff. You can see some of that in our devstreams, but I'd rather not post about it outside of that, as it relates to a pretty major plot point in the game.

Orexius has officially gone full time on Crisis Point now, and he's been spending his week working on the Crystal Dragon H-scene climax. The Crystal Dragon (man I really need a final name for that enemy) is the largest sprite in the game, so it's a rather complex animation; he's nearly done with it now, though, and he'll be finishing up the Poison Alraune H-scene I started once he's done with that.

Visuals aren't the only thing being worked on, of course! A lot of my major work for this update has already been finished, so I've been running through our list of bugs/minor improvements and getting some of them done, as well as helping out with other parts of development that I normally don't do, like animation and tilesets. I'll be needing to slow down and start focusing on real life more soon, to prepare for the move, but v0.40 development is coming along extremely well, and I'm looking forward to getting it in your hands.

Alright, that's it for me this week. Sorry it's on the smaller side; we should have something good to share with y'all next week, though, so I hope you're looking forward to that! Thank you so much for supporting the development of Crisis Point: Extinction, we'll see you again next week!

EvilClone

Mar 1, 2018
I've reached the end of this demo version, and unlocked the debug menu but i still don't know what the ???? option is on the portal. any ideas?

gemini20xx

Oct 17, 2017
Guy I stuck idk how to get swimming ability
Plz send help
In the Deep Soil area you reach after the Catacombs there's an item that allows you to move normally but at half speed underwater, you have to beat the Poison Alraune and head upwards in that area to find it if I remember right.

Reactions: unionkil057

Janako

Dec 31, 2018
beat the tar monster. where do I go? said something about the east side.
Look for a red hi-tech looking barrier door, it should open up when you get close to it. It's on the east side of the tar zone where it's mostly just a long pillar of rooms all the same size.

4.60 star(s) 29 Votes