Others Crisis Point: Extinction [v0.47] [Anon42]

4.60 star(s) 29 Votes

Janako

Dec 31, 2018
Damn man these updates are coming in fast. Keep up the great work Anon42, love your game!

ssj782

Engaged Member
Apr 19, 2019
I love metroidvanias. But this one has two snags that make me have trouble playing it for long.
1: That damn forced masturbation is too freaking LONG. I was just running through the plant area that makes your boobs grow...and the lust bar fill until they shrink. Was up on a ledge out of reach of the monsters when it hit max, causing me to have enough time to go down my hallway, through the living room, to the kitchen to fill up a glass of water, and still get back in time for the damn thing to end. That's way too long.
2: Why does everything take so many hits to kill? I can't remember EVER playing a metroidvania where even the weakest enemies were bullet sponges the way this game makes them. Its ridiculous to have the little fliers that should only take 1-2 hits take 4-5. Especially with how they stay the same distance no matter what movement you make, making the diagonal fire worthless against them as well as nearly eveything else.
Not a bad game overall, but those two glaring issues make it completely un-fun for me. Wehn the mooks with guns take a full repeat of stand-shoot-duck-shoot-stand-shoot to kill, it drains any enjoyment I might have gotten from the game.

Gan_fald

Jun 16, 2017
Beaten the 0.40 demo till the "you beat the demo" message. Also grabbed the hoverboot upgrade.
All teleports unlocked, full gallery and CGs (trying the crystal dragon animation crashes the game).

There is still parts of the map and upgrades not found, but its a hassle to find them so i wont bother.

Jacky1x5

May 8, 2019
I love metroidvanias. But this one has two snags that make me have trouble playing it for long.
1: That damn forced masturbation is too freaking LONG. I was just running through the plant area that makes your boobs grow...and the lust bar fill until they shrink. Was up on a ledge out of reach of the monsters when it hit max, causing me to have enough time to go down my hallway, through the living room, to the kitchen to fill up a glass of water, and still get back in time for the damn thing to end. That's way too long.
2: Why does everything take so many hits to kill? I can't remember EVER playing a metroidvania where even the weakest enemies were bullet sponges the way this game makes them. Its ridiculous to have the little fliers that should only take 1-2 hits take 4-5. Especially with how they stay the same distance no matter what movement you make, making the diagonal fire worthless against them as well as nearly eveything else.
Not a bad game overall, but those two glaring issues make it completely un-fun for me. Wehn the mooks with guns take a full repeat of stand-shoot-duck-shoot-stand-shoot to kill, it drains any enjoyment I might have gotten from the game.
I think its because of the various gun upgrades so enemies take different ranges of damage so a later gun bullet and firing rate will take the enemies out faster than the basic ones.
Yes, the forced maturbation seems punishing as in the catcombs if the two scientist force it they will run up even if your on the upper platform and keep attacking since they can't get to the player that I think puts the player in a endless loop until they die since their isnt an instant cum button for masturbation. I found that during the loop for me to regain control I had to disable the sexual content feature just to get out of the infinite combat. (Its the room with the 2 scientist, 2 female sentry and blue alien male in the middle.

ssj782

Engaged Member
Apr 19, 2019
I think its because of the various gun upgrades so enemies take different ranges of damage so a later gun bullet and firing rate will take the enemies out faster than the basic ones.
Considering I have now used the normal, split shot, lightning, boomerang, and whatever the three explosion one is called... I've also used both single shot and rapid fire for every one of the weapon types.
It isn't noticeably faster using more 'advanced' weapons. I assume there are more types, but those are the ones I've found so far.

Sattur

Mar 4, 2020
Great game, not even complete yet but all these demos are like serving me up a good full course meal and i'm still on appetizer, what else it could be if i was served both the main dish and desert? This game really reminds me of my time playing Megaman Zero 2, but a lot easier (you don't need to worry losing, since its also one of your goal in this game anyway and i prefer calling it "brought to submission" rather)

This is still a demo and i still feel like there's a lot more things missing from the game, not just it having an ending, but for some reason there might be more enemies added after they do a full release.

Anon42

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
1. Duly noted, I'll look into adding the ability to skip that animation by pressing Jump like you can skip H-scenes themselves.

2. Like Jacky said, it's because of the bullet chips system, but also subweapons. I suggest you start making more use of your Force Shot/Flare Shot subweapons, but there are also MANY more types of bullets you haven't found, so I suggest looking for more chip and trigger types - in general the more speed/convenience a chip type has, the less damage it'll deal, so using the Rapid Trigger plus weapons like the Auto Shot/Split Shot will make your bullets much weaker in exchange for making it easier to shoot and hit enemies (and in the Auto Shot's case, auto-targeting enemies). The main benefit of faster shots like those is that Force Shot ammo charges drop for every bullet that hits an enemy, so those weapon types fill up the Force Shot MUCH quicker than slower more powerful bullets, and you can use it regularly in combat to deal heavy damage in an AoE and stagger enemies. This is even more insane once you get some of the skill point upgrades that allow you to Overcharge your force shots to deal 3x damage by collecting more ammo above your regular maximum. If you just want to spam your normal bullets and not think about subweapons, the rapid/auto-aiming shots are pretty much the worst type of weapon setup to use; there's a Heavy Trigger that makes you fire slower but do much more damage, and combining that with certain bullet chips can make you one or two-shot many enemy types.

joeys88

Oct 10, 2017
Its been a long time since I last played this, have the defeat CG scenes been removed? I can't seem to trigger them anymore. Looked through the changelogs in the op and didnt see anything about their removal.

gemini20xx

Oct 17, 2017
Its been a long time since I last played this, have the defeat CG scenes been removed? I can't seem to trigger them anymore. Looked through the changelogs in the op and didnt see anything about their removal.
They're not really defeat CGs anymore. After a certain point in game you capture enemies, by talking to one of the people back at camp Alicia can get in on with them and that's how to trigger the CGs and boss animations. For in game animations go through the door at the camp to see them for the normal/BE scenes.

Reactions: joeys88

ssj782

Engaged Member
Apr 19, 2019
1. Duly noted, I'll look into adding the ability to skip that animation by pressing Jump like you can skip H-scenes themselves.

2. Like Jacky said, it's because of the bullet chips system, but also subweapons. I suggest you start making more use of your Force Shot/Flare Shot subweapons, but there are also MANY more types of bullets you haven't found, so I suggest looking for more chip and trigger types - in general the more speed/convenience a chip type has, the less damage it'll deal, so using the Rapid Trigger plus weapons like the Auto Shot/Split Shot will make your bullets much weaker in exchange for making it easier to shoot and hit enemies (and in the Auto Shot's case, auto-targeting enemies). The main benefit of faster shots like those is that Force Shot ammo charges drop for every bullet that hits an enemy, so those weapon types fill up the Force Shot MUCH quicker than slower more powerful bullets, and you can use it regularly in combat to deal heavy damage in an AoE and stagger enemies. This is even more insane once you get some of the skill point upgrades that allow you to Overcharge your force shots to deal 3x damage by collecting more ammo above your regular maximum. If you just want to spam your normal bullets and not think about subweapons, the rapid/auto-aiming shots are pretty much the worst type of weapon setup to use; there's a Heavy Trigger that makes you fire slower but do much more damage, and combining that with certain bullet chips can make you one or two-shot many enemy types.
I stopped using the rapid fire right after I got it because of both the low damage and uncontrollable spread. The only other times I have used it are when testing the individual weapon types with it.
My biggest problem is that I can't make myself want to keep playing for more than a few minutes at a time, because even fighting the 'weakest' enemies takes so long. I've gotten to the forest/plant area so far and just got the hand grips after killing the first poison alraune.
Most of the missing weapon upgrades are probably a ways in the future (if at all).
It just feels like too much of a drudge. Or an easy/cheap way to increase the playtime of a game. Everyon loves pointless bullet sponges, right?
And saying "Those starter enemies will be easier waaaaaay into the game after several skill point upgrades and very specific weapons!" doesn't really help that. I've spent my skill points so far on making the force shot regen ammo if you don't hit an enemy, and the health boost. Only have two skill points left because I was saving them. And I've seen at least 2 more that require the double jump to reach.

I can't even remember a gunner type metroidvania that makes the weakest enemies take so long to kill. They generally use weapon upgrades as alterations that allow you to go to more areas or to kill specific enemies. Metroid itself is a super obvious example. Rarely ever do they give you a straight damage upgrade to your weapon. The only ones that come to mind are charge shots and the 'wave' beam that turns every shot into 2-3 weaving shots. Or was it called split? Been forever since I've played Super Metroid.

Last edited:

sharpys

May 21, 2017
I agree with the poster above. I’ve even started speed running through entire areas with cheat engine’s speed hack.

The way I see it: fewer but more powerful weapon modules are more meaningful than an array of armories that basically do the same damage. You just have different flavors of peashooters in the end.

Gan_fald

Jun 16, 2017
Heya, i've scouted the whole map for 0.40 now and i believe i've found a bug. At X36, Y68 in the aquatic caverns there is an upgrade only accessible when approaching from the right, and only by crouch sliding through an entrance.

There is no boosting or sliding possible underwater.

In more general terms, please reconsider the entire unterwater segment. It's a horrible slog, especially when you consider that at that point of the game you have finally obtained some mobility options. Well eff the player, except for the ledge grab none of them work underwater.

cwu3

Apr 14, 2019
I'll also chip in to agree with ssj782. I think this game is good overall. I got through all the current content (in v0.39) and felt generally satisfied by what I could do by the time I got the Omnidash, but after putting it down and thinking back on it a little while later, the most memorable part of the experience was definitely just the persistent emotion of frustration that seemed to be intentionally designed into the game.

I hated the blaster throughout the entire first half of the game. The slimes at the beginning make the worst impression, and I think that has to be intentional. The designer seems to subscribe to the idea of irritating the player with limitations to motivate them to find better movement and combat options later on. But those slimes really are a disgusting accompaniment for the beginning of the game. They can't be hit directly, so instead you have to constantly twitch around to position yourself for angled shots because they jump all over the place whenever you finally get a bead on them. The melee swing is more reliable but also irritating because it's slow and sluggish and it moves you into whatever you're trying to hit.

And not just slimes but tentacles, bees, lurkers--all these kinds of enemies seem to specialize in staying out of the line of fire and being a general nuisance to kill, while the rest need you to find the opportunity to plink at them long enough to drop them. Somewhere in the Summit region, I just turned on autofire (good job on the accessibility options by the way) and that certainly saved me a lot of resentment. Every blaster upgrade after that provided minor improvements while still feeling inconvenient, until I finally settled on spray-and-pray with rapid-fire boomerang shot as my main attack.

The other persistent thought while working through the levels was definitely "when am I going to find the damned double jump, or at least a wall jump upgrade already?" Of course it became clear that the game would likely not allow it until the end given how it makes the other movement powerups obsolete. But the continuous teasing of inaccessible bonuses and passages is just another example of designed frustration. I think it's particularly because you keep seeing these inaccessible locations everywhere instead of being compartmentalized, and they're not marked on the map, so you have to try to remember each one so you can come back whenever you finally find whatever unknown upgrade it is that will get you there. You can't know what upgrade is coming up next, but you go through 4 whole regions seeing countless places that need something like a double jump without ever getting it.

Ultimately, the bullet-sponge enemies were tiresome, and I felt the debug option for increased blaster damage put things in a far more natural state. The heavy trigger also reduces attack range, which is just annoying, especially on a bunch of already short-ranged shot types. There never seemed to be a proper combination that gave sufficient range, power, and coverage at the same time. Rapid-trigger boomerang shot and heavy-trigger boom shot were the only methods that felt effective, and those only came together very late in the game. (Also Flare Shot, but it took almost every skill point I could find to make it good. I didn't like the feel of Force Shot and its very limited ammo never inspired me to upgrade it. And of course you can spend all your upgrade points on Flare Shot only to end up in an underwater level where it's completely useless.)

Reactions: Epiczor
4.60 star(s) 29 Votes