Others Crisis Point: Extinction [v0.47] [Anon42]

4.60 star(s) 29 Votes

Anon42

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
Hey everyone. Been a while since I posted here; my apologies for not keeping you all in the loop, but 2022 has been off to a very rough start for me. I've still been posting at least every other week on our Patreon, so if you want to read up on everything, I suggest looking there - you don't need an account or anything, all of the updates are public. Just be aware that it's all personal stuff, not really game updates. After crunching so hard to get v0.45 finished, I was heading back towards a dark place, and it took a while to pull myself out again - I won't be making that mistake again, and thankfully things are on the upswing now. I just started seeing a therapist, and will be making some life and work changes to accommodate my ADHD and mental health, but updates should be back to mostly normal now.

(The following is (mostly) a copy-paste from our If you like what you see, If you enjoy the game, We couldn't make this game without our supporters!)

Hey everyone. Not a ton has happened since the last weekly update, but a lot of things have been set in motion, so I have a good bit to talk about. My therapist gave me a LOT of ideas to try and improve my ability to work, and it's going to take a while to put all of them together, but here are some of the major bullet points:

-Separate life and work better. This starts by creating more defined work days/hours - which, for now, I'm aiming for Sunday-Wednesday from 1-5 pm. When not in work hours, ALL work-related things should be kept away - emails, messages, everything. Those of you in our discord might have noticed me being online there a lot less, because I've been logging in to my personal discord instead of staying on my work discord all the time. I also have a bad tendency to constantly refresh Patreon here, as well as the other forums I update on, to check for any new posts - I often did this 20+ times a day in the past. I've been gradually weening myself away from that already because I know it's an unhealthy habit, but now I've made a hard cutoff and I'm no longer looking at things unless it's during work hours. This will mean that my responses won't be as quick, and I apologize for that, but I think it's a necessary part of getting my mental health in order.

-Create an isolating environment for work. This means, essentially, changing our office setup so that I can't see the rest of the room, the rest of the room can't see me, and finding some form of audio isolation as well. I love listening to music while I work, but traditional headsets AND earbuds both make my jaw ache, so I've been using speakers for years. I'm going to be doing some research on off-ear earbuds and trying them instead; hopefully I can find some sort of solution, because audio and visual distractions have a huge impact on ADHD productivity. Even if it seems minor, it adds up and slows down my work a lot by preventing me from getting into the flow state that ADHD brains excel at.

-As an extension of the dedicated work days, I'll also be having dedicated appointment days, which will be Thursday/Friday. Appointments still give me quite a bit of anxiety, especially if it's something new, but before now I was scheduling them for whenever was possible. I'm sure I'll still need to schedule SOME appointments at other times, if it's something really important, but for the most part I will no longer be scheduling any appointments outside of Thursday/Friday; my weekly therapy appointments are on Thursday, for example. Having it like this will prevent situations where I've got an appointment every other day of the week, and I just end up overwhelmed and exhausted from being anxious constantly. Plus, by not scheduling them on work days anymore, they shouldn't interfere with my ability to work as much. ADHD has a weird thing I like to call "waiting mode", where if I know I have an appointment, even if it's not for 7 hours, I feel like I can't really do anything until after it's done. That includes work, goofing off to play games, and everything in between. It's incredibly obnoxious, and I usually try to avoid it by having my appointments be at the very start of my day, but sometimes it's not possible and it can throw off plans very easily.

So in general, the therapy has been great so far. I've only had 2 appointments, so it hasn't been long enough to be 100% sure, but so far I'm very happy with my choice of therapist. He seems like the right person to help me out and I'm ridiculously grateful that I didn't have to run through a dozen people before finding someone that clicks.
Aside from therapy, I also had my neuropsych evaluation a few days ago. I won't hear back results for about ~2 months based on what they said, but it'll be nice to have a more thorough examination of my brain.

That's all the personal stuff I have to update you guys on. Once I'm done with this post, I'm heading straight into my first work week with this new schedule, so with any luck I'll have more than usual to post about next weekend! Before I go, though, I do want to give you guys two visual updates - the Poison Alraune BE preview that I mentioned last update, as well as a shot of the tweaked idle animation we're working on for Alicia.

For Alicia's idle, here's a comparison screenshot:
Idle comparison.png
As you can see, there are a handful of updates here. The main one is that we've altered Alicia's breasts quite a bit - we've made them slightly larger and fuller, which fits her character sheet more accurately, as well as making her clothes react to her boobs better. Her jacket now curves around her boobs instead of just hanging down and kinda ignoring them, and her shirt is stretched across them instead of hugging their shape. We also added some additional shine spots, so that the one single shine on her breast isn't the only one on her entire sprite, and also improved the detail on her shorts and shirt. These are all tweaks we've been wanting to make for a while, so it's nice to get them all done at once.

And of course, last but not least, the Poison Alraune BE preview!
Poison Alraune BE.gif
This is only the first loop; the full scene is easily the longest H-scene animation in the game, so I hope all of you futa fans are looking forward to it!

Alright, that's it for this week's update. Thank you for reading, we'll see you again in the next update!

anime_user

Nov 2, 2021
Hey everyone. Been a while since I posted here; my apologies for not keeping you all in the loop, but 2022 has been off to a very rough start for me. I've still been posting at least every other week on our Patreon, so if you want to read up on everything, I suggest looking there - you don't need an account or anything, all of the updates are public. Just be aware that it's all personal stuff, not really game updates. After crunching so hard to get v0.45 finished, I was heading back towards a dark place, and it took a while to pull myself out again - I won't be making that mistake again, and thankfully things are on the upswing now. I just started seeing a therapist, and will be making some life and work changes to accommodate my ADHD and mental health, but updates should be back to mostly normal now.

(The following is (mostly) a copy-paste from our If you like what you see, If you enjoy the game, We couldn't make this game without our supporters!)

Hey everyone. Not a ton has happened since the last weekly update, but a lot of things have been set in motion, so I have a good bit to talk about. My therapist gave me a LOT of ideas to try and improve my ability to work, and it's going to take a while to put all of them together, but here are some of the major bullet points:

-Separate life and work better. This starts by creating more defined work days/hours - which, for now, I'm aiming for Sunday-Wednesday from 1-5 pm. When not in work hours, ALL work-related things should be kept away - emails, messages, everything. Those of you in our discord might have noticed me being online there a lot less, because I've been logging in to my personal discord instead of staying on my work discord all the time. I also have a bad tendency to constantly refresh Patreon here, as well as the other forums I update on, to check for any new posts - I often did this 20+ times a day in the past. I've been gradually weening myself away from that already because I know it's an unhealthy habit, but now I've made a hard cutoff and I'm no longer looking at things unless it's during work hours. This will mean that my responses won't be as quick, and I apologize for that, but I think it's a necessary part of getting my mental health in order.

-Create an isolating environment for work. This means, essentially, changing our office setup so that I can't see the rest of the room, the rest of the room can't see me, and finding some form of audio isolation as well. I love listening to music while I work, but traditional headsets AND earbuds both make my jaw ache, so I've been using speakers for years. I'm going to be doing some research on off-ear earbuds and trying them instead; hopefully I can find some sort of solution, because audio and visual distractions have a huge impact on ADHD productivity. Even if it seems minor, it adds up and slows down my work a lot by preventing me from getting into the flow state that ADHD brains excel at.

-As an extension of the dedicated work days, I'll also be having dedicated appointment days, which will be Thursday/Friday. Appointments still give me quite a bit of anxiety, especially if it's something new, but before now I was scheduling them for whenever was possible. I'm sure I'll still need to schedule SOME appointments at other times, if it's something really important, but for the most part I will no longer be scheduling any appointments outside of Thursday/Friday; my weekly therapy appointments are on Thursday, for example. Having it like this will prevent situations where I've got an appointment every other day of the week, and I just end up overwhelmed and exhausted from being anxious constantly. Plus, by not scheduling them on work days anymore, they shouldn't interfere with my ability to work as much. ADHD has a weird thing I like to call "waiting mode", where if I know I have an appointment, even if it's not for 7 hours, I feel like I can't really do anything until after it's done. That includes work, goofing off to play games, and everything in between. It's incredibly obnoxious, and I usually try to avoid it by having my appointments be at the very start of my day, but sometimes it's not possible and it can throw off plans very easily.

So in general, the therapy has been great so far. I've only had 2 appointments, so it hasn't been long enough to be 100% sure, but so far I'm very happy with my choice of therapist. He seems like the right person to help me out and I'm ridiculously grateful that I didn't have to run through a dozen people before finding someone that clicks.
Aside from therapy, I also had my neuropsych evaluation a few days ago. I won't hear back results for about ~2 months based on what they said, but it'll be nice to have a more thorough examination of my brain.

That's all the personal stuff I have to update you guys on. Once I'm done with this post, I'm heading straight into my first work week with this new schedule, so with any luck I'll have more than usual to post about next weekend! Before I go, though, I do want to give you guys two visual updates - the Poison Alraune BE preview that I mentioned last update, as well as a shot of the tweaked idle animation we're working on for Alicia.

For Alicia's idle, here's a comparison screenshot:
View attachment 1714338
As you can see, there are a handful of updates here. The main one is that we've altered Alicia's breasts quite a bit - we've made them slightly larger and fuller, which fits her character sheet more accurately, as well as making her clothes react to her boobs better. Her jacket now curves around her boobs instead of just hanging down and kinda ignoring them, and her shirt is stretched across them instead of hugging their shape. We also added some additional shine spots, so that the one single shine on her breast isn't the only one on her entire sprite, and also improved the detail on her shorts and shirt. These are all tweaks we've been wanting to make for a while, so it's nice to get them all done at once.

And of course, last but not least, the Poison Alraune BE preview!
View attachment 1714339
This is only the first loop; the full scene is easily the longest H-scene animation in the game, so I hope all of you futa fans are looking forward to it!

Alright, that's it for this week's update. Thank you for reading, we'll see you again in the next update!
will there be an update to f95zone?

wizard_of_oz

Sep 29, 2020
Hey, I need help. I downloaded the game, and extracted it. At first, it demanded a dll file (d3dx9_43.dll) which I got online after downloading June 2010 DirectX thing, and I put it in the folder. Now when I try to run it, it says that it cannot detect DirectX and crashes after the intro cutscene with an error about a shader.

I think someone else in this thread had this issue with a Mac, and solved it by running the program from somewhere else, but I've got Windows and I wanted to know if anyone else with Windows had found and fixed this issue.

EDIT: I have copied the error below

D3DXCompile failed - result

at gml_Object_objGlobalControl_Draw_77
############################################################################################
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
stack frame is
gml_Object_objGlobalControl_Draw_77 (line -1)

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2018
so I've been playing terraria lately, and terraria just remembered me to this great game, I've played a little bit of it again, and oh boy imagine if this game was actually online and you had a way bigger map, I mean it's a lot to ask for but dreaming is good

wizard_of_oz

Sep 29, 2020
Hey, I need help. I downloaded the game, and extracted it. At first, it demanded a dll file (d3dx9_43.dll) which I got online after downloading June 2010 DirectX thing, and I put it in the folder. Now when I try to run it, it says that it cannot detect DirectX and crashes after the intro cutscene with an error about a shader.

I think someone else in this thread had this issue with a Mac, and solved it by running the program from somewhere else, but I've got Windows and I wanted to know if anyone else with Windows had found and fixed this issue.

EDIT: I have copied the error below

D3DXCompile failed - result

at gml_Object_objGlobalControl_Draw_77
############################################################################################
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
stack frame is
gml_Object_objGlobalControl_Draw_77 (line -1)
Just wanted to report that I fixed the issue, it turns out the .dll file had to be in a particular folder in the laptop, so plopping it in the game folder did not do anything. Now I'm going to enjoy this game!

Reactions: Anon42

Anon42

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
will there be an update to f95zone?
If you're asking for a newer playable demo, then no - not from me at least. It's strange, I feel like a lot of people don't realize that F95 is a piracy forum, which is something I've never seen happen on other piracy sites; the links to download games here (not just mine, but all of them) are almost always piracy, not legitimate copies. I don't upload my Patreon builds here and I never will; the first post is mine, but the moderators are the ones who update it with new links whenever somebody drops the pirated download links in the thread. The only official places to download Crisis Point currently are our Patreon, and the demo on itch.io, and as such those are the only places I post playable updates.

Hey everyone. Jesus, where to even start this post? I'll start off with the good news that I've been able to get back into CPE work pretty successfully! I haven't quite stuck to my proposed work schedule, but not because work was difficult, rather things have just been SO busy that I wasn't able to work every day I intended. Because of the limited work days, I haven't gotten a ton of stuff done yet, but I've gotten a good chunk of work on something that I think you guys will be excited about - increasing the screen size in CPE.

Embarrassingly, the screen resolution in Crisis Point (640x480) was chosen because.. it's the default resolution in my engine, and I just never changed it. So, if any of you were ever wondering why our screen resolution and aspect ratio is a little odd, that's why lmao. I've considered changing it for a long time, but so much of the game has been built around that size that I wasn't sure how good of an idea it was. I decided to tinker with it this week for fun, though, and even though there will still be some oddities (like some rooms are the exact size 640x480, so making the screen bigger than that means those rooms will have blank space at the edges), it already feels SO much better to have more screen space that I'm okay with the slight imperfections.

To be specific, my plan is to alter the screen size to 960x540 - exactly half of the standard 1920x1080 resolution that most hardware uses. This means the game will upscale more consistently on most systems, as well as giving you more space to see while you're exploring the game world. Keep in mind we are NOT changing the game's art assets, so don't worry thinking that this will take an absurd amount of effort - we'll need to update some things, like our UI and some backgrounds, to match the new resolution, but 95% of the game's art will stay as is. It's a lot of effort on my end to update things and make sure there are no issues, so I'm not sure if this will be done in time for the next playable release, but here's a before and after screenshot in the meantime so you can see just what sort of a change we're talking about:

Before
screensize_before.png
After
screensize_after.png

Please forgive the debug numbers and the background being cut off; the art hasn't been changed to match the new resolution yet, these screens are just to show you how much more space there will be. Hopefully the screenshot gives you a good idea of it, but it really feels amazing to run around the game with so much more visibility. Platforming and combat are both easier than ever, and even though I've still got a LOT of work to do to make it playable with the new resolution, I can already tell it'll be worth the effort.

So, aside from the work things, there are a LOT of life updates to talk about. Like, a lot, these past two weeks have been absolutely insane. I'd be here writing for a few hours if I went into depth on everything, so I'll just drop some bulletpoints here;

-Obviously, I've been able to start working consistently again, which has been great. Work isn't feeling so hard anymore, and I expect to be able to deliver more consistent weekly updates now.

-In general, my mental health is in the best place it's been for a LONG time, which is great because..

-Our landlord informed us that they will not be renewing our lease once it runs out in June, not because we did anything wrong, but because they want to sell the house we've been living in. Thus, we have about 3 months to pack up and move to a new house. Development of the game may stay just a little slower than I'd like for a bit, because we're going to have a lot of work cut out for us to move the entire household - we were planning on staying here for years, so we have a lot more stuff than usual.

-As an extension of the previous point, me and Puffernutter have been talking seriously about buying a home, instead of finding another place to rent. There are basically no good rental options in Anchorage - they're all not only worse than our current place, but they have HIGHER rent as well. So, it's very likely we'll be putting a downpayment on a home within the next 3 months.

-On another note, Puffernutter and I are now officially engaged, after living together since before Crisis Point was even started! Neither of us likes being the center of attention, so the wedding is going to be a VERY low-profile affair, but we've been talking about the idea of marriage for years and we both knew we were in for the long haul. We were already considering doing it soon, and once we got the news that we were going to have to move, and likely end up buying a house, we decided it would be a good idea to have it done before that happens. We don't have a date picked out just yet, but it's a pretty limited timeframe since we want it done before we move.

-I signed up for lessons, and am finally going to start learning how to play bass guitar, which is something I've always wanted to do but never knew how to start! My therapist recommended I find more hobbies, especially creative things, that are disconnected from my work - and finally taking the plunge to learn an instrument seems like the perfect option.

-Our household, which currently consists of 4 people (myself, Puffernutter, Orexius, and a friend of ours), all signed up for a gym membership and a month of small-group personal training. We had our first two sessions earlier this week, and despite it being a harder workout than I've ever done at home, I felt fantastic afterwards, so I have high hopes for us sticking with it! We did well when exercising as a group before, since we're all accountable to each other for staying on track, and so far it seems to be working great. Not only are we doing regular exercise now, but we're also drastically cutting down on how much food we order out, so we're eating a lot better too.

-Even though I just said our household has 4 people in it, we're about to get a 5th, because my mother will be moving in with us once we settle in to a new place. She WAS going to move in with us this week, but we got the news that we were being kicked out of this house shortly after the decision was made, so we decided to delay having her move in so she doesn't have to basically move twice. I don't want to be specific out of respect for her privacy, but she needs to get out of her current living situation for her own mental health, and every one of us agreed immediately that we'd be happy to have her living with us.

-I don't think I've mentioned anything about this before, but I finally got to see a podiatrist, and it turns out my foot pain while standing/walking isn't just me being crazy. I have flat feet and mild metadductus (google that one if you want specifics), so I'll be getting some custom-made orthotics to help alleviate my foot pain, which should make exercise all the easier. It certainly explains why I've had trouble with walking and standing in the past, so I'm relieved to finally get some answers there.

So I said two weeks, but really the majority of all that happened in just the past week. It's been a crazy busy time, with appointments out the ass and lots of big life changes being thrown at us. Normally this kind of thing would've overwhelmed me and made me shut down for a while, but I'm honestly doing pretty well despite all of it. Therapy has done wonders for my mental health, and things like exercise and getting out of the house more have had me more energetic and motivated than I've been in years.

I'm sure there's still some things that I've forgotten to talk about here, what with the sheer amount of events happening, but I've written enough for one day. Thank you guys so much for reading - and again, thank you SO much for being so patient with me while I get myself in order. It's taken a good while, but the result is an Anon42 that's gradually becoming better at dealing with the stresses of life in a healthy and constructive way, moreso than I've ever been, and I'm eternally grateful to you guys for sticking by me and allowing this to happen. Even beyond the development of games and having steady income, you guys have helped improve my life more than you'll ever know, and it means the world to me. We'll see you again in the next update!

sammo905

Jun 28, 2018
It's strange, I feel like a lot of people don't realize that F95 is a piracy forum, which is something I've never seen happen on other piracy sites
its kinda odd but a lot of people use this forum as their games hub rather then sites such as patreon or ci-en or subscribestar' etc, so that's probably why

yankee4dtm

Aug 1, 2018
Congrats on the engagement, and good luck house hunting!

So with the increased screen size, do you plan on fiddling with weapon ranges? Could be an opportunity to make the difference between short/medium/long range weapons more noticeable and have more of an impact on how they are used.

SuchABear

Mar 4, 2022
Like the guy above said, congrats on the engagement ! Glad to know your real life situation is improving.
And yeah, I also mainly use this forum as a hub for these type of games, not for piracy.

Also, I really wanted to congratulate you for this game. I was pleasantly surprised, I didn't expect such effort to really make a good game and not just a uh, stress-relief game I'd say ? Really cool level-design (especially the last areas) and cool artstyle overall.

With that being said, I have a few questions but no worries if you can't/don't want to answer them.

1-Which guy is the current artist for the CG scenes ? The one who did the slime CG is, imo, the best. But so far it looks like there are 3 different artists (with explicitly told that he's no longer in the team) ?
1.5-Do you plan to do CG scenes for BE situations or not ?

2-Do you plan (or is there ?) to also make some level design secrets in order to sequence break the game ? Like to reach points that you shouldn't reach without specific upgrades ? The gameplay is quite fun, so that could create some fun situations.

3-Is that me or the number of areas planned will go further than the 5 listed on the Patreon's presentation ? If not, then do you plan to stop all development on the game after releasing the "final" version ? Or would you might make some DLCs ?

Anyway, continue with the great work ! And don't forget to treat yourself well. Life first, then work.

Izuek

Oct 2, 2021
Great game. With all of the voice acting this game has, this post is missing a "voiced" tag. Can a mod add that in, please?

Aerrae

Apr 26, 2020
So, house hunting, marriage and crunch huh? Yeah try to take it easy on the crunch. It really shouldn't be a thing in the industry. Our generations issues probably partially stem from our decrepit industrial revolution work cultures.

Congrats for the upcoming marriage~ Always nice to have someone to share life with.

Lease thing is rough. Could be me anytime, leases are always raising where I am now but I do like it here.

Try to enjoy the house hunt, I know it's tough in this climate.

These little updates are nice. When I first played your game I was alone, depressed, and unemployed. I hated where I lived.

Now I live in a place I adore, I'll be making good money, I'll have actual weekends, holidays, and vacations, and I have my own partner that lives with me too.

I feel like I've grown alongside you and this game. Sometimes I couldn't keep the patreon sub but that's gonna change soon.

I look forward to your continued successes in life and game development and another opportunity to sub to you as well.

I know that may not hit as hard seeing as I am still an avid user of this site and I haven't paid every developer whose games I've played on here but I'll do what I can, at least for the ones I like best.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Anon42 and Artix0

rasaani

Jun 14, 2017
Whow this game looks shaping up nicely. Is it how close to be finished? I remember playing early version of this game what now feels like almost decade ago.
I don't usually do patreon pledges anymore but if this is somewhat close to released I might drop tenner or two

gemini20xx

Oct 17, 2017
at what point in the game does it happen
The Deep Soil, don't forget as CPE is a Metroidvania game you can explore where you want as long as you have the abilities to get there, but its best to go to the Summit first to get power-ups and weapon chips since the enemies there are tougher.

johnnybonny

Feb 9, 2020
Could someone give me a detailed description on how to get through the catacombs with the torches? I know you're supposed to follow the lit torches but it's not working for me.

4.60 star(s) 29 Votes