Others Crisis Point: Extinction [v0.47] [Anon42]

4.60 star(s) 29 Votes

Anon42

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
(The following is (mostly) a copy-paste from our If you like what you see, If you enjoy the game, We couldn't make this game without our supporters!)

Hello everyone, and welcome to another CPE development update! There's not gonna be a whole lot of stuff with this one; Orexius had some minor nose surgery (don't worry, it wasn't for anything serious) that knocked him out for a week, so he had less time to get stuff done than usual, Puffernutter has had a lot of freelance work keeping her from working on the game, and for my part, I did get some good work done, but it was mostly spent on doing more shader experiments! That said, we do have two new WIP backgrounds to show off from Puffernutter, and I've solidified my shader knowledge a bit more with a few new effects I'll be adding to the game!

To start off, here's two of the backgrounds Puffernutter has been working on, this time for the Deep Soil:

deep soil rework ideas 2.png
deep soil rework ideas 3.png

The Deep Soil has always been a bit of a sore spot for me. It's by far the most organic area in CPE by design, and because of that it has suffered the most from our limited background art. My original idea for the area was to have massive vines shooting up from the ground to seemingly infinite heights, spearing through large clumps of dirt to create a twisting organic maze, where you spend half the time navigating the vines themselves and the other half along the dirt that they hold suspended in the air. The original art for the area captured.. baaaasically none of that. It's a testament to my inexperience; I wasn't able to get across what I wanted to our background artist at the time, and the entire area suffered as a result.

Those of you that have been around for a while might also remember that the Deep Soil is the only area in the game to undergo a complete redesign from the ground up; its original iteration was confusing to navigate with too many small rooms, so in general it's always been one of the areas that I was least satisfied with. All that to say, Puffernutter's early concept work for redesigning the area makes me SO EXCITED! She's doing a wonderful job of capturing what I always wanted the area to look like, and while we're mostly focusing on the Caves and Summit for right now (to get the early parts of the game polished up as much as possible), I can't wait til we can focus our efforts on the Deep Soil.

Next up, my work. Before I get into the shader stuff I worked on, a quick update on the lighting engine upgrade. I've managed to cut out the old lighting system and implement the new one at a basic level, so the hardest part is done. The main things left now are fixing some of the visual bugs that happen with different video settings, and more importantly, to re-add lighting functionality to all of the different light sources in the game now. That part will take the longest, since there are so many of them, and since the new lighting has more features it'll be more effort than just a simple conversion. Regardless, I'm happy with how it's going, and I fully expect it to be included in the next playable update!

Now for the shader experiments, I have 3 things I managed to figure out: an outline shader, a (very) simple bloom shader, and a distortion shader. I won't bother showing off the outline shader, that one's self-explanatory, but it will allow me to try out a few effects I've been interested in. The bloom shader is a bit hit-and-miss; if you're worried that I'm about to introduce a ton of bloom to the game, don't worry, I know it's a rather polarizing effect, so if I do use one I intend to do so in moderation. That said, there are a few places I think it would be beneficial!

I decided to start by implementing it specifically on light sources, and this was the very earliest version of the effect:

bloom1.png

As you can see, it's uh.. it's a bit much, haha. The one exception is the laser fence on the right, which I actually think the effect looks really nice on! Here's a comparison of the fence with and without the shader:
fence_bloom.png

We could just bake that visual into the fence by hand, it's not complex at all, but using a shader means I can do some fun stuff with it like giving it some procedural animation. So at the very least, for simple things like this, the shader works pretty well. I tinkered with it A LOT to see if I could make it play nicer with the lights and torch, but I haven't found a solution yet that I'm satisfied with, so I won't talk about those any further for now. I have some ideas to make it look nicer, so I'll definitely be messing with it more, and you can rest assured that it won't look anywhere near that jarring if it makes it into the game!

Lastly, and the most exciting for me, is a distortion shader, essentially allowing me to warp images in real time, like so:

distortion_shader.gif

(Apologies for the quality not being great, gifs aren't a great format! It looks a bit nicer ingame but the gif gets the idea across just fine)

The first use in this gif is the heat distortion on the torch in front of Alicia, which is something I fully intend on adding to the game proper, I'm super happy with how it came out. The crazy warping effect on the bottom right was just me playing around with the effect and seeing what I can do with it - it's using the exact same shader and concepts as the heat distortion, just with a rotation effect applied to it. The shader allows for distortion in any direction, so I can do just about anything I can think of with it.

I'm not 100% satisfied with it yet - you can't tell from the gif, but when multiple distortions overlap with each other, they don't merge in the way I would like them to, and instead one distortion seems to take priority at random - but I had already spent multiple days of work to get it to this point, so I put that aside for future Anon to deal with. Who knows, overlapping distortions might not ever be an issue anyway, so if I spent even longer on it now that might just end up being wasted work.

And that's all I have to talk about for this week! Sorry again it's not as big of an update, but 2/3rds of the team was unable to work for most of it, and I've definitely been bit by the shader bug now that I'm starting to understand them lmao. I intend to bring my focus back to the game itself, so we can try and push out a playable update before too long, but it's still going to be a bit before we have one ready for release.

On that subject, I do have one question I'd like to pose to you all: most of our work recently has been on upgrading old systems and art, and not really on "new" content. We try to maintain a balance between the two, but we're in a bit of an odd place right now; the playable builds are rapidly approaching some important story moments, but we're actively updating and retooling some parts of the story right now. Even though nothing major will be changing, creating more story content right now is iffy, as it may need to be changed or altered soon after. Because of the lack of new content, I've been very hesitant to try and push out a playable update, but at this rate it's going in the same direction as the previous playable update, where I put it off repeatedly because "it's not big enough to justify the time everyone waited", and I don't want that to happen again. So with all of that considered, are you guys okay with updates that contain no/limited new content, and are instead focused on reworking and polishing things, for a bit? Once we finish ironing out the remaining story beats, I fully intend to get back to more balanced updates, it's just awkward right now - so please leave a comment to let me know how you feel about that so we can plan accordingly!

And as a reminder for our patrons, if you've pledged at the tier for a demo at any point since the last update came out (so, for the entirety of 2022), you WILL be getting the next playable update even if you unpledge. If you're not okay with waiting a bit longer, I completely understand, and you can safely unpledge for the time being without sacrificing the rewards you pledged for.

In the meantime, thank you so much to all of you who stick around! I know new sexual content is what a lot of folks are here for, so I really appreciate that you guys are understanding and let me focus on other parts of the game as well. I'm still feeling great about being able to work consistently again, and with all this new knowledge and experience, we're well on our way to making CPE a better game than it's ever been before. Thanks for reading, and we'll see you again in the next update!

Dahotshot

Aug 10, 2021
On that subject, I do have one question I'd like to pose to you all: most of our work recently has been on upgrading old systems and art, and not really on "new" content. We try to maintain a balance between the two, but we're in a bit of an odd place right now; the playable builds are rapidly approaching some important story moments, but we're actively updating and retooling some parts of the story right now. Even though nothing major will be changing, creating more story content right now is iffy, as it may need to be changed or altered soon after. Because of the lack of new content, I've been very hesitant to try and push out a playable update, but at this rate it's going in the same direction as the previous playable update, where I put it off repeatedly because "it's not big enough to justify the time everyone waited", and I don't want that to happen again. So with all of that considered, are you guys okay with updates that contain no/limited new content, and are instead focused on reworking and polishing things, for a bit? Once we finish ironing out the remaining story beats, I fully intend to get back to more balanced updates, it's just awkward right now - so please leave a comment to let me know how you feel about that so we can plan accordingly!
The fact that you have bi-weekly updates and actively engage with the community is worth more than any release updates. I would rather wait until there is substantial systems/content progress, or when you guys reach a milestone you've set for yourselves, before playing a new update.

Just my two cents!

Salminar

Aug 26, 2018
Ok i'm really confused with this game ... I love it but i'm stuck and this thread isn't helping much here.

Basically i'm in the submit (so very start of the game) i have the auto aim shot, the twin shot, 4 HP upgrade, wire and force shot.
I reach a point i'm in some sort of tar and can't jump high enough to reach the platforms as the tar is always slowing me.
So people said i need to kill the tar boss first ... Ok it's in the woods. But there i'm blocks by some wines, so i need the flammer.
To get there i need to go to the catacombs. To go to the catacombs i need the dash in the submit ...

Looks like a endless loop to me here. To be able to progress the submit i need an item i can get only if i progress in the submit >.<

nless03

Feb 27, 2022
Ok i'm really confused with this game ... I love it but i'm stuck and this thread isn't helping much here.

Basically i'm in the submit (so very start of the game) i have the auto aim shot, the twin shot, 4 HP upgrade, wire and force shot.
I reach a point i'm in some sort of tar and can't jump high enough to reach the platforms as the tar is always slowing me.
So people said i need to kill the tar boss first ... Ok it's in the woods. But there i'm blocks by some wines, so i need the flammer.
To get there i need to go to the catacombs. To go to the catacombs i need the dash in the submit ...

Looks like a endless loop to me here. To be able to progress the submit i need an item i can get only if i progress in the submit >.<
You have to beat the tar boss in the summit first. In order to do so, you have to obtain the grappling shot first (don't remember what it's called), then go through the red door again and go upwards non-stop. After a while, you'll get the dash upgrade, which will you give you invincibility for a second and that'll allow you to keep going up even further. Now be careful because you could fall in a gap that'll take you all the way back before reaching the last section. Anyway, after using the dash mid-air to avoid the gap I already mentioned, you'll get to the tar boss and after defeating it, you'll clear the tar in that "stage".
Btw, in order to somewhat prevent the tar from allowing you to reach higher places, don't put yourself right below the running tar. You have to move a little bit, so it won't slow you down while jumping.

Trust me, if you can't with the summit, the oh boi, you won't be able to go through the deep soil, so I'll give you a "brief" guide.

- In order to get to the deep soil, you need either the dash upgrade or the fire thingy in the catacombs.
- After getting to the deep soil, just move south and you'll have to go on your own, where you'll have to a find a mini boss that'll clear the air after defeating 'em.
- Then go back to the southern deep soil checkpoint, go UPWARDS and explore on your own. After a while, you'll find a new checkpoint (I think it was the northern deep soil checkpoint).
- After reaching that point, go to the left and then go downwards, and you'll be able to find the next upgrade that'll allow you to grab ledges. However, you'll reach a point with no exit and here's the only place where you need the fire thingy that you get in the catacombs.

NOTE: If you didn't go to the catacombs yet, then head there and obtain the upgrade that you need to make progress in the deep soil. Otherwise, you'll be stuck here forever because there's no way to keep exploring.

- Now you'll have to downwards and you can either choose to skip the next mini boss by going towards the left (you need at least 2 or 3 more health bars) or go fight 'em in order to clear the air (you'll have to move downwards).
- If you decided to skip the boss, you go straight into the water that'll take you all the way to top. If you didn't, just explore and you'll find a water section with a unobtainable health thingy that'll take you all the way to the top.
- At this point, you'll find a new checkpoint and you'll meet a new boss.
- After defeating that boss, just keep exploring the water section where you'll reach a new area and the scientist will tell you that they have never reached that place. Therefore, they'll tell you to place a checkpoint.

NOTE: This place and the last sections of this version of the game are awfully unfair to the player, unless you're playing in easy or normal mode, so be careful. Don't get frustrated and I recommend you getting as many health bars and stuff as possible in order to beat it. Otherwise, you might die over and over again, especially during your first run.

- In this new area, you'll have to find 2 keycards. Plus, you can get another checkpoint by going straight down. Here, you'll find a loading zone and there will be a cutscene.
- In order to get into this new place, you'll need to obtain both keycards. They are on the right and the left, respectively.
- After obtaining both keycards, explore the new area and you'll get a new upgrade that'll allow you to dash infinitely.
- After you got it, you can either choose to head back to the first checkpoint you obtained in the game and go up or head back to the northern deep soil checkpoint.
- Explore and you'll find a room full of those annoying things that come out of the ground where you'll have to use the new upgrade you obtained.
- Keep exploring by going up and you'll find a new area. There's nothing interesting or useful in here, so just go up and avoid taking damage. Here, you'll find a new upgrade that'll allow you to jump infinitely as long as there's a wall.

If you have any doubt about what you should do next, just head back to the first checkpoint where the npcs will give you hints. They'll tell you about something in the summit.
Anyway, that's it. I really hope this helped you out. If you have any doubt (I don't think there should be any doubt since this guide is quite complete), then you can ask once again.

Last note: There are some places that you can't reach, so you'll need the debug mode after completing the game. Plus, the only upgrades that are quite useful are the dash and the physical weapon, especially during the water sections.
Oh, and remember: this game isn't complete, so there are places that are impossible to reach (4 specifically). And to be more specific, there are 3 water sections that push you back (2 of them are found in the deep soil) and there's another water section where you need to dash, but you can't do that.

Reactions: MayhemSixx

Artix0

Modder
Jun 26, 2017
(The following is (mostly) a copy-paste from our If you like what you see, If you enjoy the game, We couldn't make this game without our supporters!)

Hello everyone, and welcome to another CPE development update! There's not gonna be a whole lot of stuff with this one; Orexius had some minor nose surgery (don't worry, it wasn't for anything serious) that knocked him out for a week, so he had less time to get stuff done than usual, Puffernutter has had a lot of freelance work keeping her from working on the game, and for my part, I did get some good work done, but it was mostly spent on doing more shader experiments! That said, we do have two new WIP backgrounds to show off from Puffernutter, and I've solidified my shader knowledge a bit more with a few new effects I'll be adding to the game!

To start off, here's two of the backgrounds Puffernutter has been working on, this time for the Deep Soil:

View attachment 2011533
View attachment 2011534

The Deep Soil has always been a bit of a sore spot for me. It's by far the most organic area in CPE by design, and because of that it has suffered the most from our limited background art. My original idea for the area was to have massive vines shooting up from the ground to seemingly infinite heights, spearing through large clumps of dirt to create a twisting organic maze, where you spend half the time navigating the vines themselves and the other half along the dirt that they hold suspended in the air. The original art for the area captured.. baaaasically none of that. It's a testament to my inexperience; I wasn't able to get across what I wanted to our background artist at the time, and the entire area suffered as a result.

Those of you that have been around for a while might also remember that the Deep Soil is the only area in the game to undergo a complete redesign from the ground up; its original iteration was confusing to navigate with too many small rooms, so in general it's always been one of the areas that I was least satisfied with. All that to say, Puffernutter's early concept work for redesigning the area makes me SO EXCITED! She's doing a wonderful job of capturing what I always wanted the area to look like, and while we're mostly focusing on the Caves and Summit for right now (to get the early parts of the game polished up as much as possible), I can't wait til we can focus our efforts on the Deep Soil.

Next up, my work. Before I get into the shader stuff I worked on, a quick update on the lighting engine upgrade. I've managed to cut out the old lighting system and implement the new one at a basic level, so the hardest part is done. The main things left now are fixing some of the visual bugs that happen with different video settings, and more importantly, to re-add lighting functionality to all of the different light sources in the game now. That part will take the longest, since there are so many of them, and since the new lighting has more features it'll be more effort than just a simple conversion. Regardless, I'm happy with how it's going, and I fully expect it to be included in the next playable update!

Now for the shader experiments, I have 3 things I managed to figure out: an outline shader, a (very) simple bloom shader, and a distortion shader. I won't bother showing off the outline shader, that one's self-explanatory, but it will allow me to try out a few effects I've been interested in. The bloom shader is a bit hit-and-miss; if you're worried that I'm about to introduce a ton of bloom to the game, don't worry, I know it's a rather polarizing effect, so if I do use one I intend to do so in moderation. That said, there are a few places I think it would be beneficial!

I decided to start by implementing it specifically on light sources, and this was the very earliest version of the effect:

View attachment 2011536

As you can see, it's uh.. it's a bit much, haha. The one exception is the laser fence on the right, which I actually think the effect looks really nice on! Here's a comparison of the fence with and without the shader:
View attachment 2011537

We could just bake that visual into the fence by hand, it's not complex at all, but using a shader means I can do some fun stuff with it like giving it some procedural animation. So at the very least, for simple things like this, the shader works pretty well. I tinkered with it A LOT to see if I could make it play nicer with the lights and torch, but I haven't found a solution yet that I'm satisfied with, so I won't talk about those any further for now. I have some ideas to make it look nicer, so I'll definitely be messing with it more, and you can rest assured that it won't look anywhere near that jarring if it makes it into the game!

Lastly, and the most exciting for me, is a distortion shader, essentially allowing me to warp images in real time, like so:

View attachment 2011539

(Apologies for the quality not being great, gifs aren't a great format! It looks a bit nicer ingame but the gif gets the idea across just fine)

The first use in this gif is the heat distortion on the torch in front of Alicia, which is something I fully intend on adding to the game proper, I'm super happy with how it came out. The crazy warping effect on the bottom right was just me playing around with the effect and seeing what I can do with it - it's using the exact same shader and concepts as the heat distortion, just with a rotation effect applied to it. The shader allows for distortion in any direction, so I can do just about anything I can think of with it.

I'm not 100% satisfied with it yet - you can't tell from the gif, but when multiple distortions overlap with each other, they don't merge in the way I would like them to, and instead one distortion seems to take priority at random - but I had already spent multiple days of work to get it to this point, so I put that aside for future Anon to deal with. Who knows, overlapping distortions might not ever be an issue anyway, so if I spent even longer on it now that might just end up being wasted work.

And that's all I have to talk about for this week! Sorry again it's not as big of an update, but 2/3rds of the team was unable to work for most of it, and I've definitely been bit by the shader bug now that I'm starting to understand them lmao. I intend to bring my focus back to the game itself, so we can try and push out a playable update before too long, but it's still going to be a bit before we have one ready for release.

And as a reminder for our patrons, if you've pledged at the tier for a demo at any point since the last update came out (so, for the entirety of 2022), you WILL be getting the next playable update even if you unpledge. If you're not okay with waiting a bit longer, I completely understand, and you can safely unpledge for the time being without sacrificing the rewards you pledged for.

In the meantime, thank you so much to all of you who stick around! I know new sexual content is what a lot of folks are here for, so I really appreciate that you guys are understanding and let me focus on other parts of the game as well. I'm still feeling great about being able to work consistently again, and with all this new knowledge and experience, we're well on our way to making CPE a better game than it's ever been before. Thanks for reading, and we'll see you again in the next update!
Looks fantastic! Thanks for keeping us updated so regularly :D

Reactions: Anon42

usarius

Feb 15, 2022
question is there a cheat table for .45 cuz the previous one posted doesn't activate invincibility just jumps

Anon42

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017

Hey everyone, and welcome to another CPE biweekly update! Sorry this one is a day late, I wasn't feeling great yesterday so I took the day easy, but we're here now!

Like last week, we don't have a ton of visual stuff to show this week, and this update is going to be pretty short because of it - rest assured that it's not due to a lack of work, though! Puffernutter has been busy with freelance work again, so she hasn't had much time to work on CPE; Orexius has been doing minor tweaks to a lot of Alicia's old gameplay animations, to bring them more on-model with her current sprite design, so it's important work but nothing really worth showing in an update; and for my part, my focus has been split between 3 things: the new lighting system, the game's story, and just a bit more shader experimentation. If it seems like I'm spending a lot of time on the new lighting engine, please forgive me - to try and prevent getting burnt out again in the future, I'm trying to shake up what I'm working on more often to keep things fresh and fun, so unlike before I'm not picking a single task and focusing on it until it's done anymore. Anyway, enough preface - on with the update!

Since I don't really have anything to show from Orex and Puffernutter, I'll just be focusing on my own work for this post. Out of those things, I don't have anything worth showing from the shader experimentation yet, so I won't talk about that much; I did learn some more stuff though, and I'm enjoying tinkering with them! I expect to be able to add a lot of little polish tweaks to the game as my shader knowledge improves, and it's a good creative break from other work when I need it.

As for the lighting, some of the visual bugs I've found with the new system have given me more trouble than expected, so I've spent a good amount of time fixing those. I still have a few more things to fix, but most of the issues have been squashed now, and I've started working on updating all of the old light sources to function properly in the new system. Each light takes a decent amount of effort to update; putting them in at a basic level is pretty quick, but the new system is so much more robust that I'm trying to give each light a bit more attention than that. It'll take longer of course, but that bit of extra polish is super worth it while I'm already in the code and actively working on them.

The game itself kinda looks like a mess right now, with all of the half-finished things being updated, but I put together this scene using Puffernutter's concept art as an example of what things are eventually going to look like!

Lighting-demo.gif

I put some color-shifting functionality on here to show off some of the fun stuff we can do with lights in the new system. This only scratches the surface of what we can do, and I'm excited to see how the game ends up looking by the end of it! An important note; while this is using Puffernutter's new background art, the backgrounds aren't really going to be updated for v0.46. We are trying to give the Caves a new base tileset, and hopefully that'll be done in time for v0.46, but none of the rooms are going to be this complex or interesting looking just yet. We need more time and a few more things in order to make that happen, like my custom level editor, so it'll still be a while yet for the full glowup - but the lighting itself WILL be updated for v0.46, so it'll still be a big upgrade!

Aside from the lights, which are the only visual thing I have to show off this week, there's also the matter of the game's story. I've mentioned several times that I've been messing with the game's story recently, as there are some things I'm unsatisfied with. The reason I keep bringing it up is because it's taken me a long time to really figure out something I'm happy with, so it's been on my mind for a long time now. CPE wasn't anywhere near as thoroughly planned in the early stages as I would've liked; I didn't even know when I started this project that it would end up being a career for me, so it was much more casual early on, and I've been paying the price for that lack of planning for years now.

During these past two weeks, though, I finally had some big breakthroughs! I can't get into any details without spoiling things, so forgive me for not really having anything concrete to talk about here. The things I finally figured out are core to the game's story, though, so now that they're finally settled I can really start doing the necessary rewrites and improvements to the script. There's still plenty of stuff I need to finish planning out, but by far the biggest one has been taken care of now.

Just to be clear, the story of CPE isn't going through any massive changes or anything like that, so don't worry that this is going to be a huge time sink - all the basic story beats are still the same, but with all the uncertainties ironed out, so I can inject a lot more stuff like foreshadowing and lore into the script.

One piece of concrete information I can give you guys is regarding the game's multiple endings. I haven't talked about this in a long time, but I originally planned CPE to have two endings, one "sexy" and one "SFW" ending, pretty much. As part of these story rewrites, I thought a LOT about that concept, and I've come to the conclusion that multiple endings just isn't the way I want to go. Before you get upset, this DOES NOT mean that there will be no difference between a NSFW and a SFW playthrough! CPE already has a number of dialogue lines that change depending on how naughty Alicia has been, and I fully intend to keep that aspect of the game, and maybe even lean into it harder - so basically, instead of having 2 explicitly different endings, we're going to focus on having 1 story with 1 ending, with a lot of small dialogue changes depending on how lewd the player is while playing. It's substantially less work for the team, and allows us to really focus and polish up the one experience, while also avoiding the pitfalls that come with multiple endings - for example, if there are 2 completely different endings, at what point does the game shift over from the SFW to the NSFW ending? How do we relay which ending the player is going to get? Is it a dialogue choice the player makes? If so, that means their behaviors don't actually matter in determining the ending, just that one dialogue choice, which is lame. Do we add more endings to smooth out those "middle ground" playthroughs that don't focus exclusively on being pure OR horny? That would undoubtedly be a better experience, but it's WAY more work than just 2 endings, and we're quickly going far beyond the story's intended scope. CPE was always intended to be a gameplay-first experience, and putting that much emphasis on story changes feels at odds with the rest of the game.

My original plan for the different endings is something that doesn't really fit our goals anymore, with how the game has changed during development, and after thinking long and hard on it I realized that I was keeping the idea alive not because it's the right choice for the game, but because it's what I said I would do in the past.

I hate disappointing people by changing plans partway through development, but sometimes it's just not healthy to keep old ideas alive when they no longer fit in, and I believe this is one of those cases. I understand that this will be a disappointing change for some of you, and I'm very sorry for that. I do think this is a change that needs to be made for the sake of the game, though, and I hope you can understand why I'm doing it. The spirit of the idea will live on in those SFW/NSFW dialogue changes I've talked about, but we're going to be focusing on one story, and putting the idea of multiple, completely different endings to rest.

Well, that's about it for me this week. Sorry the update is on the smaller side, most of the exciting visuals are coming from Puffernutter lately, so when she's got a lot of freelance work coming in, we generally won't have too much visual stuff to show off. Progress is going great though, and while the updates right now might not be the most exciting, a lot of our efforts right now are creating the groundwork for future updates, so I expect development to pick up the pace pretty significantly by the end of the year! Thanks for reading everyone, and for continuing to follow the game - see you in the next update!

Izuek

Oct 2, 2021
I'm past the Station Entrance and got the gravity boots. Is there anything left in the demo? I can't seem to find a use for the boots yet.

Anon42

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017

Hey everyone, welcome to another development update! This one is, again, going to be a bit light on content. The TL;DR is that we're still pretty much working on the same stuff as last week, so there isn't too much to talk about, but nonetheless, let's go over what we've been working on!

Puffernutter has had limited CPE time due to her freelance gigs, but in the time she can spend on CPE, she's working on updating the Caves tileset still. We had a discussion about tiles this week, and we've decided to NOT try and rush them for v0.46. With how comprehensive the visual overhaul we're working on is, and with how much content the game has that we need to update, we'll be working on this for many many updates, and we don't want to rush it out before it's ready. We'll continue to keep you all updated on the art rework, and we don't plan to hold all of it back until the whole game is redone or anything - but at the very least, we want my custom level editor before we start implementing the new tilesets, since it will make the job far easier.

Orexius finished up the Duo Slime H-scene animation, and has started on the BE Vines animation rework, as well as continuing work on various gameplay animations.

For my part, I've still been plugging away at the lighting engine update. I swear every week I write about how I ran into more issues but fixed them, and this week is no different! It's likely I'll find even more bugs that need fixing, but as of right now pretty much every bug I've found has been squashed and I'm just continuing to update all the lights to work with the new system. Since I've been doing that for a while now, I wanted to post a comparison of one of the lights that I put extra work into, so you can see a bit more of what goes into it:

old-power-orb.gif

newer-power-orb.gif

So stuff like this is the reason the lighting rework is taking a while! With the Power Orb collectible, I decided to give it two layers of lights: one is a stationary red glow, for the item's core, and the other is a rotating yellow light for the ring that circles it. It shrinks and grows and rotates with the ring, and generally just looks a lot cooler than it did before. The same lighting has been applied to the Guard Orb as well, naturally.

So basically, I'm not just tweaking some numbers, and updating lights like this can take an hour or two each depending on complexity. There are a fair amount of lights that ARE simple to transition over, but since I'm already in there messing with the code, I've been taking extra time to update and improve any light sources that seem like they should have additional work put into them - even small things, like previously every light was based on a circle, but we've been adding new lighting shapes for things like the diamond-shaped Skill Point collectible.

That's all I really have to talk about this week, but I did want to leave you guys with at least a small teaser for something I have cooking in the background. We've talked a lot recently about all of the visual overhauls we're doing to Crisis Point - animations being redone, lighting overhauled, revamped UI, the screen size update - and as we've been working on these things, and seeing how the game is evolving, we started to wonder if there were any gameplay elements that felt outdated and would be worth revisiting. After all, we reworked the Wire Shot before, and the new version of it feels SO much better to use - who's to say we can't do the same with other parts of the game? Maybe even some of the game's core mechanics could be improved.. reworked to suit a more modern experience, rather than mimicking games from 20 years ago? That's all I'll say for now, but I think you guys will be pretty excited to see where we're going next!

A final word before the post ends. Crisis Point development is in a very weird spot right now; we haven't put out an update in so long because of my mental health issues, and we have SO many things being reworked and improved that are all really exciting and will make the game so much better.. but all of them are "complete overhaul" types of things that just can't be released half-finished. Because of that, it really doesn't lend itself well to putting out playable updates - anything we release here on Patreon needs to be thoroughly polished, since you never know which version will be a person's first experience with the game, and a bad experience can ruin our chances of finding an audience. So, what we're going to do right now is we're going to start really focusing on getting a playable update out for you guys ASAP, but just please be aware that it won't be as substantial as I would like, despite the loooong development cycle. It won't really contain new content (like I've talked about before), but will be mostly focused around the lighting and screen size updates, with maybe a few other things squeezed in. At this point, expectations for what v0.46 will be like are higher than we're ever going to be able to pull off without killing ourselves with crunch, and I refuse to do that to myself or the rest of the team - but the pressure is still there, so I just want to get something out there.

Anyway, sorry to kind of end the post off on a bit of a bummer. Playable update releases for CPE might continue to be weird like this as we work on all this foundational stuff, and I'm sorry if we fail to put out updates on a regular schedule, but we'll keep you updated with our progress every step of the way. Once all these foundations are created, the rest of the game will be SO much easier to build. All I can ask for until that point is your patience and understanding, and to give the biggest thanks to all of you who stick around with us! Thanks for reading, I'll see you again in the next biweekly update!

Mylton

May 6, 2020

Hey everyone, welcome to another development update! This one is, again, going to be a bit light on content. The TL;DR is that we're still pretty much working on the same stuff as last week, so there isn't too much to talk about, but nonetheless, let's go over what we've been working on!

Puffernutter has had limited CPE time due to her freelance gigs, but in the time she can spend on CPE, she's working on updating the Caves tileset still. We had a discussion about tiles this week, and we've decided to NOT try and rush them for v0.46. With how comprehensive the visual overhaul we're working on is, and with how much content the game has that we need to update, we'll be working on this for many many updates, and we don't want to rush it out before it's ready. We'll continue to keep you all updated on the art rework, and we don't plan to hold all of it back until the whole game is redone or anything - but at the very least, we want my custom level editor before we start implementing the new tilesets, since it will make the job far easier.

Orexius finished up the Duo Slime H-scene animation, and has started on the BE Vines animation rework, as well as continuing work on various gameplay animations.

For my part, I've still been plugging away at the lighting engine update. I swear every week I write about how I ran into more issues but fixed them, and this week is no different! It's likely I'll find even more bugs that need fixing, but as of right now pretty much every bug I've found has been squashed and I'm just continuing to update all the lights to work with the new system. Since I've been doing that for a while now, I wanted to post a comparison of one of the lights that I put extra work into, so you can see a bit more of what goes into it:

View attachment 2065063

View attachment 2065062

So stuff like this is the reason the lighting rework is taking a while! With the Power Orb collectible, I decided to give it two layers of lights: one is a stationary red glow, for the item's core, and the other is a rotating yellow light for the ring that circles it. It shrinks and grows and rotates with the ring, and generally just looks a lot cooler than it did before. The same lighting has been applied to the Guard Orb as well, naturally.

So basically, I'm not just tweaking some numbers, and updating lights like this can take an hour or two each depending on complexity. There are a fair amount of lights that ARE simple to transition over, but since I'm already in there messing with the code, I've been taking extra time to update and improve any light sources that seem like they should have additional work put into them - even small things, like previously every light was based on a circle, but we've been adding new lighting shapes for things like the diamond-shaped Skill Point collectible.

That's all I really have to talk about this week, but I did want to leave you guys with at least a small teaser for something I have cooking in the background. We've talked a lot recently about all of the visual overhauls we're doing to Crisis Point - animations being redone, lighting overhauled, revamped UI, the screen size update - and as we've been working on these things, and seeing how the game is evolving, we started to wonder if there were any gameplay elements that felt outdated and would be worth revisiting. After all, we reworked the Wire Shot before, and the new version of it feels SO much better to use - who's to say we can't do the same with other parts of the game? Maybe even some of the game's core mechanics could be improved.. reworked to suit a more modern experience, rather than mimicking games from 20 years ago? That's all I'll say for now, but I think you guys will be pretty excited to see where we're going next!

A final word before the post ends. Crisis Point development is in a very weird spot right now; we haven't put out an update in so long because of my mental health issues, and we have SO many things being reworked and improved that are all really exciting and will make the game so much better.. but all of them are "complete overhaul" types of things that just can't be released half-finished. Because of that, it really doesn't lend itself well to putting out playable updates - anything we release here on Patreon needs to be thoroughly polished, since you never know which version will be a person's first experience with the game, and a bad experience can ruin our chances of finding an audience. So, what we're going to do right now is we're going to start really focusing on getting a playable update out for you guys ASAP, but just please be aware that it won't be as substantial as I would like, despite the loooong development cycle. It won't really contain new content (like I've talked about before), but will be mostly focused around the lighting and screen size updates, with maybe a few other things squeezed in. At this point, expectations for what v0.46 will be like are higher than we're ever going to be able to pull off without killing ourselves with crunch, and I refuse to do that to myself or the rest of the team - but the pressure is still there, so I just want to get something out there.

Anyway, sorry to kind of end the post off on a bit of a bummer. Playable update releases for CPE might continue to be weird like this as we work on all this foundational stuff, and I'm sorry if we fail to put out updates on a regular schedule, but we'll keep you updated with our progress every step of the way. Once all these foundations are created, the rest of the game will be SO much easier to build. All I can ask for until that point is your patience and understanding, and to give the biggest thanks to all of you who stick around with us! Thanks for reading, I'll see you again in the next biweekly update!
This is getting real awesome!
Do you plan on launching the game on steam? Would gladly buy it there once it releases, like I'll do with Future Fragments.

Susan Xandera

Jul 13, 2017
My Cheat table, to access Debug toggle whenever, didn't work for 0.45 anymore, so I've remade it.
It has Faster running, Torn Clothing, Breast Expansion, No Libido, Invincible and Infinite Jumps.
You had me at faster running and breast expansion, it sucked a bit that in the regular game its a temp thing.

Anon42

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
Speaking of Futa-Content, there are only the ones with the red-head and alraune right?
Yep, just those two. At the moment we don't plan on adding more futa to CPE, since not everybody is into it, but I definitely want to make more futa content in the future!

This is getting real awesome!
Do you plan on launching the game on steam? Would gladly buy it there once it releases, like I'll do with Future Fragments.
Thanks, glad to hear you're excited! We do plan on releasing on Steam; we don't intend to do Early Access on there, but the finished game will definitely be on Steam!

Hey everyone, time for another CPE development update! This is going to be another relatively quick one, but not due to a lack of excitement!

Before we get into the real meat and potatoes of the update, I'll quickly just give you a rundown of what everyone has been working on. Puffernutter has been hard at work on the UI overhaul, to make sure it gets done soon enough that we can implement it for the next beta release. The current UI is EXTREMELY broken in the new screen resolution, so rather than putting a bunch of work into making it look right only to rip it out and replace it with the new UI next update, we're just focusing on getting it done now. Orexius has continued work on the new BE Vines animation, but he's also been focusing on gameplay animations, specifically ones related to the thing I'VE been working on, which brings me to "the big reveal".

I spent most of my work hours these past two weeks on the thing I teased during our last biweekly update, and I've progressed far enough with it that I'm ready to fully reveal it. We've been working on a lot of overhauls (environment art, lighting, UI, story, etc), but most of those are visual changes, nothing too crazy on the gameplay front.. but like I said in the last update, this one is big - a complete overhaul to one of the fundamental parts of CPE's gameplay. Without further ado..

aiming-nocam.gif

I'm proud and excited to confirm that Crisis Point is getting full 360 degree aiming, and full gameplay mouse support along with it!

Those of you that have been following CPE for a while might know that I've addressed this idea a few times, and declined to add it. There were a few reasons for that; feature creep, difficulty of implementation, the possibility of enemies being easily cheesed by sniping them from their blind spots, etc. Now that we've been overhauling so many aspects of CPE though, I revisited the idea, and decided that none of those reasons were good enough to justify not adding it. Samus Returns and Metroid: Dread both proved that 360 degree aiming feels amazing in a gun-focused metroidvania, and there are so many other excellent entries in the genre that felt so modern compared to CPE's retro 8-directional aiming. After spending a lot of time thinking about it, I felt like I was doing the game a disservice by not modernizing the gameplay while we were already upgrading so many other things, so here we are!

There are a LOT of small gameplay tweaks that will be coming along with this, and we'll likely be polishing and tweaking it for a while, but I fully intend to have an early version of this included in v0.46 when it comes out. We've decided to narrow down the scope of v0.46 so we know exactly what to focus on, and I'll detail that at the end of this post; for now, let's talk about the other thing I wanted to show off this week, the UI update!

A quick preface: none of these images are finished yet! We're still tweaking layouts, and we haven't even started messing with colors or aesthetics yet, which is why all of them are in greyscale, so don't take any of this as finalized images.

CPE UI Redesign_Blaster.png

CPE UI Redesign_Skills.png

CPE UI Redesign_Map.png

CPE UI Redesign_Options-Controls.png

As you can see, we're not just doing a simple visual update, the pause screen is getting a total overhaul from the ground up! The old menus were cramped, and only utilized a tiny part of the screen space, which made them feel even more claustrophobic. They also caused a lot of issues when it came to adding in new sections, since there just wasn't room for it. The new UI is being designed for maximum modularity, so it won't be a huge pain to update them as time goes on. We're also considering a vector graphics aesthetic for menus specifically, for the sake of clarity and readability; though like I said in the preface, we're focusing on function over aesthetics right now, so we might still use stylized pixel art for menus, it just depends on what feels right.

That's all the major stuff for this update, hopefully you're as excited as I am about it! Before I go, let me just update you guys on exactly what v0.46 is going to have.

Crisis Point: Extinction v0.46 plans

-New 360-degree aiming system, along with full gameplay mouse support
-Completely overhauled lighting engine, along with other small special effects improvements
-Increased screen resolution, bringing the game to a more modern 16:9 aspect ratio
-Updated UI with improved functionality
-A handful of updated H-scene animations, such as the Slime and BE Vines animations
-The usual bug fixes and such (and probably some new bugs to go along with the new features, if we're being honest)

So that's everything we plan to add in v0.46. We won't be adding any "new" content, like I've mentioned before; our team's goal right now is to lay all of this groundwork, so that once we do start working on new content again, we'll have all the tools we need to really crank it out. To that end, once v0.46 is complete, I'm going to fully shift my focus towards finishing our level editor, since that needs to be done before we can work on updating the game's level design and artwork.

Alright, that's it for this biweekly update! If you have any questions about the stuff I talked about, feel free to leave a comment - these are some pretty dramatic changes, so I'm happy to answer anything y'all have to ask. Thanks for reading, and we'll see you again in the next update!

Last edited:

BapsZeta

Jul 18, 2022
Yep, just those two. At the moment we don't plan on adding more futa to CPE, since not everybody is into it, but I definitely want to make more futa content in the future!
a little disappointing that CPE will have no more futa content that was my favorite part of the current build but i look forward to whatever else you make

Reactions: tfw_no_tomboy_gf
Aug 11, 2021
a little disappointing that CPE will have no more futa content that was my favorite part of the current build but i look forward to whatever else you make
And for me the exact opposite. I hate the futa crap and it made me lose interest in the sex parts of this game. And inverted wall jump made me lose interest in the rest.
And to be totally honest, Anon42, they work the opposite to any other NES/SNES-era wall jump I've encountered. It's totally inverted. If you want to jump off from a wall, you usually jump and hold the direction you want to jump off to. Not from.

Doing it like it is now also heavily interferes with the ledge climb since you usually hold up and the direction you want to climb (left or right) and hit jump to get that speedy kick up over the ledge. Since the wall jump is inverted you now instead jump off of the wall and goes in the opposite direction you want. I find it very un-intuitive.
Edit: But as the game now undergoes some major overhaul the walljump stuff may not even work the same. I'll hope for the best in the upcoming versions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Artix0 and DexPod
4.60 star(s) 29 Votes