Ayasano

Jul 19, 2019
Oh honestly I didn't know that !
Since there are renders of the scene from different angles and subtle differences from the game, (e.g., the models are higher-poly but the textures are still low-res, missing roughness maps on the wallpaper, the addition of the cables on top of the VCR, etc.) I'm assuming it's a pre-made asset intended to be a VERY accurate recreation of the scene with maybe the textures ripped from the PC remaster.

Edit: Actually, looking at it again, the models might be ripped too, they're not as high-poly as I thought.

Last edited:

Ayasano

Jul 19, 2019
So, yeah, it looks like when you were grabbing assets for the game you accidentally got a few "free" ones that were actually ripped from old games. It's unlikely many people will notice if the game is just on Patreon, but if you wanted to sell it on, say, Steam then this will likely get noticed instantly and land you in legal hot water.

I can easily believe it was an accident since it's a 20 year old game and there are easier and less noticeable targets to rip assets from. Also, yes, I understand the irony of saying that on a piracy forum, but as a game dev you're more exposed legally and I'd hate for you to be unable to work on this as it's a pretty decent game.

Cyberslayers Alley Background.png silent_hill_2_alley_by_mageflower_d75ulia-fullview.jpg

PeterSnayde

Game Developer
Nov 26, 2018
I don't think that this asset was ripped. Made in a same way - yes, but even textures are different.

Ayasano

Jul 19, 2019
I don't think that this asset was ripped. Made in a same way - yes, but even textures are different.
Only the road is different that I can see and that may be a lighting issue, not counting the extra objects added to the scene, of course. Keep in mind the image from the game is zoomed in further and only shows the end of the alley. Compare the garage doors, for example, or the bins next to the wooden fences. Only parts of them are obscured by the green effect from the drone due to transparency sorting issues, but the textures are identical.

PeterSnayde

Game Developer
Nov 26, 2018
Only the road is different that I can see and that may be a lighting issue, not counting the extra objects added to the scene, of course. Keep in mind the image from the game is zoomed in further and only shows the end of the alley. Compare the garage doors, for example, or the bins next to the wooden fences. Only parts of them are obscured by the green effect from the drone due to transparency sorting issues, but the textures are identical.
That's true, but as far as I can tell - this won't be enough for a lawsuit case or to ban rpoject from steam, since those assets weren't took directly from Silent Hill game. Honey Select is was even made in different engine.

Reactions: Salomon108
Oct 18, 2020
If you have a Mac and are interested in giving this jewel a try, here is a working link for version [0.3.3]

GodlessXVIII

Jun 25, 2018
Maybe I'm in the minority I don't know, but I really enjoy the 'JRPG' part of this game, meaning the dungeons, fights, monsters, combat system and so on. I worry that after this much development, the game still has only one enemy type, one or two 'dungeons' (sewers and alley), and two bosses. And most fights don't even seem to use the combat system at all (criminals, freaks, training bots, locker room guys).

From the one-off mission with Kassiah at the start, I understand that the game was supposed to revolve around a variety of dungeons, monsters and boss fights. Along the way, the focus has shifted to expanding the maledom subquests with Ralph, Fred and the like, and adding more secondary elements (Kassiah's room, in-game Internet, etc.).

My opinion : the male relationship subquests are optional for a reason. Not all players will want to prioritize them, at least not this early in Alice's character arc. But as things stand, the cyberslayer missions are so few and far between that we're forced to explore the optional content that's there, which is lifesim-like relationship grinding with male NPCs.

This imbalance between the RPG and lifesim elements creates a reinforcing feedback with patrons voting to expand the content that they have no choice but to spend the majority of their time playing. And so we end up with more and more content revolving around Fred and Ralph, but still only one common enemy type, ghouls...

tl;dr : If the hope is for a kind of lifesim-by-day, JRPG-by-night like the Persona games, I think the next few updates should expand the JRPG content, which is also the actual main quest of Cyberslayers if I'm not mistaken. My 2 cents.

Last edited:
Reactions: RyRa² and Maelion

Maelion

Game Developer
Sep 10, 2017
Maybe I'm in the minority I don't know...
You're right. There's a lot of side content with characters and more and more side activities.
Still, there's some content planned around the gamma and delta sectors that are more like dungeons and monsters.
The game is still young and the main story is far to be complete.
For the monsters, I have more coming but unfortunately there are some limits with monster models available.

Overall, don't worry the main theme will be back in the 0.4 serie.

GodlessXVIII

Jun 25, 2018
You're right. There's a lot of side content with characters and more and more side activities.
Still, there's some content planned around the gamma and delta sectors that are more like dungeons and monsters.
The game is still young and the main story is far to be complete.
For the monsters, I have more coming but unfortunately there are some limits with monster models available.

Overall, don't worry the main theme will be back in the 0.4 serie.
Thanks for the update!

If I can suggest an alternative to more monsters : why not use the combat system to include fights with humans? Gang members, training bots, freaks, etc.

Your combat system provides elements of stripping, corruption, sub/dom, reversals, defeats, all of it emerging naturally through gameplay and player choices. I think it's a lot more compelling than choosing to win or lose on purpose in a single dialogue menu.

Reactions: RyRa²

Maelion

Game Developer
Sep 10, 2017
Thanks for the update!

If I can suggest an alternative to more monsters : why not use the combat system to include fights with humans? Gang members, training bots, freaks, etc.

Your combat system provides elements of stripping, corruption, sub/dom, reversals, defeats, all of it emerging naturally through gameplay and player choices. I think it's a lot more compelling than choosing to win or lose on purpose in a single dialogue menu.
I wish I could do it for every encounter but...it needs too much time and energy. A battle includes a dozen if not a hundred of pictures and a lot of code for every situation. Marak Battle took me one complete month to be playable.
So if I want to add some content, I cannot stay too long on battle phases

GodlessXVIII

Jun 25, 2018
I wish I could do it for every encounter but...it needs too much time and energy. A battle includes a dozen if not a hundred of pictures and a lot of code for every situation. Marak Battle took me one complete month to be playable.
So if I want to add some content, I cannot stay too long on battle phases
Your project, your scope. Building a whole battle system from scratch, not relying on basic RpgMaker fights, makes the experience completely unique on this site. The time invested is really worth it imo.

Of course, the lifesim/VN part of Cyberslayers is less time-intensive, but it's also the less distinctive part of the project I think.

Edit: One essential way for you to save time would be to separate characters and backgrounds, so you can (for example) reuse the ghoul fight in multiple locations rather than having to redo everything from scratch each time Alice moves around. It would also streamline your work in general having a set of character expressions and reactions usable in multiple scenes. Etc. Etc.

Last edited:

Maelion

Game Developer
Sep 10, 2017
This is such an underestimated game.
I'd give this one same applause as Karryn's prison or Saria Reclaimed in 2 years.
I guess the game has never been on the front page here. Not a big deal but maybe some players would like to play it and don't know about it. The popularity of some other games has its own secrets.
It's not the first time someone discover the game by chance and find it nice.

4.60 star(s) 73 Votes