Unity Dark Land Chronicle: The Fallen Elf [v0.113] [Winterfire Studio]

3.90 star(s) 9 Votes

mrdonkyman

Jul 21, 2017
The game looks good, I have not read much of what the others in this thread have said, but here is my feedback and advice.

First, general advice which your team might be aware of but good to say anyway just in case.
  • Focus on what you want to make, both for the sake of understanding the subject but also so it does not become boring making it for years. Making stuff or removing stuff due to outside influence kills motivation.
  • Make a rough plan so you know if you are ahead or behind schedule, the time frame should be at most, monthly, and at the lowest yearly. Any lower and that and you run the risk of moving at a snail's pace (to possible feature creep) and any higher than monthly will cause unnecessary stress or rushed jobs.
  • Set features that are hard features and will show up (both so you can show them to us, but also to have a list for all team members) and then a loose list that can be added if time is there but not guaranteed. Early projects are all about planning and then sticking to them
  • Open up other ways to get money than just Patreon. SubscribeStar, itch.io, and any other site that allows beast and "weird" content should be added. Both as a way to reduce dependencies on one source and also to allow those that hate one platform to pick.
  • Do not have 2 versions of the game, one on a paid site and one here or somewhere. It pisses users off. Instead, have x-build come 1-4 months earlier depending on what lvl you pay. And have y-supporter build become free. (X = new, Y = old)
As for game-specific stuff:
Advice:
  • Plan major variables such as faction favor, hp, lewd, etc, and make a doc of them. These need to be added as early as possible into the game or have a high chance of making the code too spaghetti and causing issues later making a rewrite of the code mandatory.
  • Focus first on adding the core game, such as the already mentioned variables that will be used during the game, even stuff that is not yet out. The earlier you have the groundwork laid, the easier it will be later. Do not add stuff as you go, it will introduce excessive spaghetti code and cause bugs and other problems, worst case a rework of the entire code will be needed.
    • What are the core things here? Well, to me it seems like: Dialogue, Variables that can't be seen, Slavery, and Quests. So starting off I would say to focus on the village and make temporary (or not if you can figure out how) quests or actions that might show up later in the game but not present in the first village to play test. Here you add complex quests (or at least the code for it, the text can just be "test1, test2, etc") and test variables that might not be used until mid or late-game. And for slavery, since it seems the goblins are just next door, have all of the tests on them. Try to make the slavery system modular so all you need to do is some small name changes and it will work for bandits, orcs, etc.
  • I forgot some stuff I wanted to say, if I remember them I will come back.
Requests:
  • Make most quests solvable with lewds, if not all.
  • Prostitution
  • RNG camp lewds
  • Reactions to the state of your dress
  • Slavery (but if I understand right, that is something that is planned?)
  • Post slavery escape, i.e not game over from it
  • To keep monster/animal stuff even if Patreon comes breathing down your necks
  • Keep it grim dark, with gore (not excessive gore, but do not remove it 100%. I.e no guro levels, but a missing foot or a pool of blood is okay)
  • Better combat, maybe look into BG3/divinity or Pathfinders time manipulation where you can pause mid-combat but otherwise its real-time.
  • For now that is all I can come up with, anything else I would want you seem to already have in here or consider.
Edit: woops forgot feedback about the bugs I found:
  • Randomly the camera during sex scenes would just go elsewhere.
  • Just as I was about to finish and just tried to see if there was anything I missed with the other routes, the same problem as the first thing happened but in the intro. I press new game and I see the first area "special" tree and can't move.

Last edited:

Thanescara

Jan 11, 2019
Imma keep this brief, i will point out interesting parts of the game imo
This game is interesting in a way that it's very unique

• World building given that this is very early in the development is really good and shows potential later on when those area gets realized, I loved the overall gritty and dark nature of the world and it's inhabitants.
  • The relationship/affiinity is pretty fun to interact with, i really like how you have options that that will affect the quest later on and having it that you can't just save scum your way in a conversation makes your decision more impactful.
  • The resource/crafting mechanics are intuitive, this is only the early version of the game so there's not a lot of options yet but it shows really good potential

But theres one thing i don't like... the combat, it's very basic... you only need to just press one button to attack an enemy, you can't really dodge since the enemies can hit you midst running away.

I've only encountered on bug/glitch in my playthrough, when doing randolf's quest during submitting the book, the book wouldn't be removed from my inventory and the submit option is still available, and thus the game will reward me infinitely with 50 gold everytime i submit him the book, giving an infinite gold exploit. For me the only way to break the loop and finish the quest is to read the book, which would ultimately ruin my relationship with randolf.

Overall the game looks very promising and i hope to see it grow in the future.
If i would want to add a feature it would be these:
  • minimap icons for notable places such as benches/fireplace
  • maybe a progression system ?
  • a Codex the would get updated as you encounter new knowledge

Reactions: winterfirestudio

Revotur

Sep 25, 2018
The developer definitely needs to do something with the game's title. I couldn't find the game in the game download folder because when I saw a file called DLC, I thought it was an extension for some game.

Reactions: SluttyNora

raithark

Dec 26, 2019
Firstly, let me address what I am sure of - we have no intention of stealing any data, nor do we have any interest in doing so (I can't see any benefit in it), and I am confident that our development team hasn't written any malicious code. But strictly speaking, this issue is quite technical, and I'm not sure why such virus detection has occurred.

Based on my past gaming experiences, all Unity games seem to often trigger this warning, don't they? My assumption is that Unity's official mechanism might attempt to gather the number of game installations by players, and if there are enough installations, they can then charge us, the developers, for the subscription fee... Thus, I personally suspect that this mechanism is what led the firewall to detect the game as having malicious software or illegal connections. (Again, this is just my personal speculation and I have no evidence.)

In reality, I think attempting to write malicious software into the game would be very foolish. I believe there are many computer-savvy individuals here, and if there were any malicious software, it would surely be discovered immediately... If I had the ability to write malicious software, I'm sure putting it into a game wouldn't be my first choice... It's a lot of effort for very little reward...

Lastly, I want to remind you that if you're concerned, it's best not to download the game. In case your computer gets infected for any reason (even if it's not caused by us), we can't afford the consequences, and we certainly don't want any suspicions surrounding such incidents...
I think it's fair to be suspicious if you get a false positive- it's just curious and sus to get a detection from Windows Defender from F95zone's downloads but not from your patreon, the limited version for example.

Daedalus69

Jun 5, 2021
Are there any other games like this one? I enjoyed it and look forward to future updates, but in the meantime wouldn't mind playing something of similar sorts

YeOldeWanker

Nov 16, 2022
Firstly, let me address what I am sure of - we have no intention of stealing any data, nor do we have any interest in doing so (I can't see any benefit in it), and I am confident that our development team hasn't written any malicious code. But strictly speaking, this issue is quite technical, and I'm not sure why such virus detection has occurred.

Based on my past gaming experiences, all Unity games seem to often trigger this warning, don't they? My assumption is that Unity's official mechanism might attempt to gather the number of game installations by players, and if there are enough installations, they can then charge us, the developers, for the subscription fee... Thus, I personally suspect that this mechanism is what led the firewall to detect the game as having malicious software or illegal connections. (Again, this is just my personal speculation and I have no evidence.)

In reality, I think attempting to write malicious software into the game would be very foolish. I believe there are many computer-savvy individuals here, and if there were any malicious software, it would surely be discovered immediately... If I had the ability to write malicious software, I'm sure putting it into a game wouldn't be my first choice... It's a lot of effort for very little reward...

Lastly, I want to remind you that if you're concerned, it's best not to download the game. In case your computer gets infected for any reason (even if it's not caused by us), we can't afford the consequences, and we certainly don't want any suspicions surrounding such incidents...
Good reply, and to be clear I just wanted to give you a direct means of responding to the various comments in one go.

I did not personally get any warnings and scans did not reveal anything, and felt safe enough to try it out and leave a baseline review. Good luck with the project.

Jul 23, 2017
Thank you so much for your love and support for the game! Your feedback is the fuel that keeps our team's passion burning!

Let me quickly address the issue with the fat guy quest. I believe there might be some problems with it - theoretically, if you report the fat guy, he shouldn't demand prostitution (from my memory, you should protect him to trigger the prostitution, I'll have to check the design documents to confirm as I might have spontaneously changed the design). Anyway, if you report the fat guy and then visit his house again after spending a night by the campfire, you should see two guards killing him. Additionally, if you protect the fat guy and complete the prostitution, after spending a night by the campfire, you should find that the fat guy has been killed by monsters. I'll report this quest to the testing team for a reevaluation to see if there are any errors.

As for the campfire mechanic, it should serve as a save point while also triggering time progression(which is not yet complete). Weapon strength and healing/buff mechanisms are still in the balancing stage, and systems like crafting blueprints haven't been implemented yet, so adjustments to strength balance may need to be made gradually.

Regarding character attributes and the sex journal, we'll gradually enhance them. As for other creative systems (such as being able to sleep in people's houses, follower systems, virginity buff, etc.), my plan is to add them slowly after the main systems and content are completed(expending the map and adding the monsters would be the priority).

I can sense your enthusiasm for the game, and I wish I had more resources to quickly implement these fantastic systems - game development can be fast at times, but polishing the game really time-consuming... I also hope you'll continue to follow us, and personally, I can promise you that this game will not disappoint you!
For the fat guy quest, what I did is I reported him to the guards but then went back to speak to the fat guy afterwards at which point he asked if I wanted to prostitute to him

I did not test yet what happens after using campfire

SirCumsalotTheGay

Dec 27, 2020
I ran into a weird bug where the scholar guy would infinitely take his book back, giving me the reward every time but never actually completing the quest. For some reason, trying to enter the Red unavailable areas would start randomly warping me other places I'd been, and sometimes menus would like... become recursive I guess? Weird technical errors. It's also REALLY not clear what is and isn't implemented yet, and it would be great to be able to walk around using WASD instead of only point and click, as well as maybe some kind of dodge ability.
Otherwise, animation is great, the art style is genuinely unique, and if I could give any advice it's not to listen to the whiny fuckin' "this game too dark and grungy for me :(" crowd. Do whatever freak shit you want, get as twisted and kinky and whatever as you please. I'm not even that far out there, but if I don't like the nastier parts I can just avoid them.
...I'm eager to see how the Beast Ladies stuff plays out though. Love me some feral monster fuckin'.

xeint

Jun 21, 2020
This such a gem thank you for this wonderful game love it

If I may give a small suggestion please if possible allow us to turn of umm fetish or maybe feature on some H features ? Example I don't really like pregnancy and as such want to turn it off but again if possible

Waiting patiently for next update !

Dr_Kek

Oct 15, 2020
pretty good, the art is nice etc, i just would make a wasd control option. waiting to see more content (i think you can only go to norman quest, the main village quests and thats all)

djaxis

Dec 11, 2017
Seeing as how there isn't a save system yet... are there tentacles in the game at this point or are they still to be added? If they are in the game, what's the fastest way to them?

3.90 star(s) 9 Votes