Fan Art Dating My Daughter: Fan Art

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Being someone who is an active participant in a few different fan-art and art assets threads, and having started one or two of them, just be aware to set expectations appropriately when you start the thread.

A few people like to combine art asset threads and fan art threads into the same threads, while others like to keep them segregated. The Dreams of Desire Art Assets Thread is one I kicked off, and I try to keep the OP updated with recent suggestions and such from other posts made in that thread, and credit the contributors appropriately. Rich kicked off the DMD Art Assets Thread, although he doesn't pay as much attention to that thread these days. My point here is that if you plan to discuss art assets in a thread, set expectations appropriately based on whether you want to edit the OP with new art assets suggestions or not.

The nice thing about having a separate art assets thread is that people won't need to dig through a bunch of fan art to find the blurbs about the various art assets that people have figured out. But some fan art threads never really take off, so keep that in mind.

As for fan art threads, these are usually much more casual affairs. The original poster of the Babysitter fan art thread was thumbnailing contributions to that thread in the OP for a bit, but has since moved on, but most other threads simply have a quick blurb about it being a fan art thread with maybe a pic or two in the OP. This also applies to the 'themed' game art appreciation threads, for example The Blondes in Adult Games Appreciation Thread, which used to be in General but have been banished to off topic.

In my mind, it doesn't really matter who started a fan art thread, although the OP may earn more likes than other contributors, so if you are a like whore, I guess there's that. What does matter is how much interest there is in continuing to do fan art for the game. This thread and the Dreams of Desire thread have remained fairly active, although the DoD fan art thread has slowed down of late, but the Melody fan art thread is pretty quiet these days, which is too bad 'cuz Melody, Sophie and her friends are cute!

The Big Brother Fan Art Thread dwarfs all other fan art threads, and is still rather active, go figure. 385 pages and counting... and the associated Art Assets thread has about 37 pages at this point. In my mind, one of the keys to a successful fan art thread, besides the game being popular, is making it easier to find the various art assets, morph settings, and such.

Dreams of Desire the game was completed a while ago, so interest in the art assets for that game has pretty much disappeared at this point, but I like to think that a few people still appreciate the effort which myself and others put into accumulating that info, such as newcomers to that game that may not have followed it when it was still being regularly updated/had not been completed yet, who become interested in dabbling in their own fan art endeavors for said game.

One pet peeve of mine is people that ask about art assets, but then don't 'give back' once they've figured stuff out. I don't expect people to share .duf's and such every time, but if you figured out which hair, skin texture, model, clothing, etc. that a model uses, well other people might appreciate that info too, rather than having to figure that out on their own. the DMD Art Assets Thread and Dreams of Desire Art Assets Thread, and to a slightly lesser extent the BB Art Assets Thread, exemplify the efforts of various artists around here that like to support other artists' efforts, particularly in the organization of the relevant info, and I wish we saw more of that in other art assets threads. But to each their own I guess. This doesn't apply to 'hand drawn' art of course, for obvious reasons.

As for what prompted me to start a couple of art threads myself, well it's pretty simple. I liked the game in question, saw that there wasn't an associated Fan Art thread, or Art Assets thread, so I got the ball rolling myself. It's that simple! That's how it's worked with pretty much all of the Fan Art And Art Assets threads around here. They aren't 'official' threads, just threads that various peeps have started to get the ball rolling. This thread is a perfect example of that. Mr. Plow really liked that artwork that Carlos Silva was posting in the DMD thread, so he went ahead and started a separate thread here to make it easier to find, which others then began to contribute to.

Anyways, I hope this helps!

Last edited:

pat11

Jan 1, 2019
A) damn, who took the jam outa your doughnut? no need to get pissy

B) last I knew, fan art threads and such were created by, well, fans, to show appreciation/support/whateve for a game or creator they like. I have know clue why one would need anyone's permission to start a fan art thread unless it violated site rules for some strange reason. that is why I was mainly asking

C) and as much hype as there is for the upcoming game with all the preview pics, I was quite surprised there wasn't one already!

so yeah, chill puffy cheeks, these threads are supposed to be for fun! :)
You asked the question, I answered you. If you want to start a fan-art thread, it is because you appreciate the work of devs and also respect their work. Me anyway, yes. That's why I asked for permission before. Whatever the rules of this forum, you will do it first of all because you like their work, so take their wishes into account.

I asked, I was told to wait, I wait, it's as simple as that. Now you do what you want.

Morpheus668

Jun 22, 2017
Bloody hell thats a wall of text! lol
Yeah, I went ahead and made a art/asset thread in preparation for the game launch.

and as for split threads, eh, didnt think that would be a concern, but we can play it by ear. depending on which way it goes, hella busy like DMD or slow like Melody, I can split threads later down the line. or if a lot of people really get there jimmies rustled by a combined thread that can also be taken into account. I was always a fan of having a combined thread so people who come in, see all the great art and become inspired to do some of their own, can get what info they nee right in the same thread. plus in a lot of the art threads I always see people asking what asset is what anyways.
threads here if anyone want to get a jump start on sleuthing base models and such using the preview pis from the SL thread

Sunshine Love: Fan Art & Assets Thread

Reactions: OhWee

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Morpheus668

You had asked about other people's experience with fan art and art assets thread, so I went ahead and elaborated my own experiences with fan art and art assets threads in general. I know that I went into more detail than you were looking for, but I figured you might appreciate my perspective on this.

As I said before, one of my biggest peeves is when people start art assets threads, but then the contributors to the thread don't actually share useful info in the thread, even though they do post sample pics. Kind of defeats the purpose of an art asset thread if you aren't going to actually share what you know about the assets involved. A few art asset threads are guilty of this, thankfully Rich's DMD Art Assets thread isn't one of those.

Myself, about the only time I don't end up sharing files or suggested formulas that I've come up with is if I'm not happy with whatever I cooked up. My stab at Olivia from DMD still bothers me. She looks passable at a distance, but I'm embarrassed that I wasn't able to dial her in properly, which is why I haven't shared her... My success rate with dialing in characters decently enough actually floats around 10%, which is why I often end up using other people's versions of characters, wtih minor tweaks, such as F95ZoneUser463's version of 'D' and my somewhat more extensively tweaked version of Melody, based on HentaiSensei777's version of her.

Same with Elena. I think that the last version of Elena that I shared is fairly close, and I did share my 'final result', but she still looks a little off to me. I've learned to just go with it though, and use her 'as is'. She's close enough to be instantly recognizable in most renders anyways... I do like the version of Elena that someone else shared in the DMD Art Assets thread.

I have a special fond-ness for Fuck Team Five though. Dee is the only character in FFF that is based on a character in a game, the other four gals are just various Daz models that I've tweaked and shortened to meet the 'less than 5 foot' requirement, and look suitably hot... the fact that they aren't based on anyone in any games that I know of helps lower my 'stress level' as I don't have to worry about if they look right or not... but I digress.

So I like to to think of a lot of the files/formulas I've shared over the years as starting points for others to evaluate and build upon if they so desire, at least for the ones that aren't tweaked versions of other people's efforts. In any case, I haven't been following the latest Mr. Dots teasers for SL, plus I've been playing around with trying to figure out characters from a couple of other ero games, and also trying to dial in my versions of other characters from other media better as the whim strikes.

Back to your thread though. If you don't want to maintain a list in the OP of the suggested art assets as they come in, something that I saw in the BB Art Assets thread is where the OP linked to another post in said thread where another forum user had accumulated/linked to the suggestions and shares up to that point. So hopefully, if you don't want to do the work yourself, someone else is willing to step up and do that if the interest in doing fan art for that game takes off. It sucks having to sort through multiple pages of posts to try to glean info about assets used and such, so if it's a combined thread, hopefully if the thread takes off, someone will post up a 'master list of assets used' somewhere in the thread.

I spent a lot of time setting up and maintaining the OP in the DoD art assets thread when that thread was just getting started, but the fact that it's organized well enough has kept the 'which asset is being used' questions in that thread to a comfortable level, as the various contributors to that thread did a pretty thorough job working through all that. But since I invested that time at the front end, it's been pretty easy to just do occasional edits since then as needed, since most of the suggestions came in earlier in the thread. So it's pretty easy to just answer people with 'check the Art Assets thread' replies when the questions come up in the DoD Fan Art thread. Similar to how we direct people to Rich's thread from here when people ask here.

Of course, I don't like to take on too much responsibility, which is why you don't see me maintaining lists for other art assets threads, or doing a lot of modding these days...

Hopefully you find my perspective on this useful. Just be clear at the outset whether you will be maintaining any 'asset lists' in the thread you started, so that people are aware. If you don't want to take on that particular responsibility, that's perfectly fine, and I fully understand! And of course remember that, as the OP, you can go back and edit that OP later as needed. I still do occasional edits to the OPs of a couple of my threads, if the OP is meant to be informational and not just a discussion starter.

Oh look, another wall of text. I do that sometimes...

Last edited:

Morpheus668

Jun 22, 2017
Discojesuslord! You're gonna kill your poor keyboard at this rate! lol
Yeah, I myself hate when people post a good render and dont tell anyone else the ingredients! lol
Like, they think are are better than everyone else or something. wankers
Or if the dev give one or a very select few people the recipe. Like Thats not really a "Fan" art topic if the fans cant share in creating good fan art

Reactions: Magixian and OhWee

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Yeah, I myself hate when people post a good render and dont tell anyone else the ingredients! lol
Or if the dev give one or a very select few people the recipe. Like Thats not really a "Fan" art topic if the fans cant share in creating good fan art
When one like isn't enough...
(y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

Yeah that! I've had a couple of developers share a couple of their assets with me on the downlow for other games, but thankfully the assets they used were mostly stock characters, so I was able to point the people at the base assets with suggested tweaks when they asked me, so that I didn't 'break a confidence' or something. Others were able to pick up from there. The version of Meghan that I currently use in Enthralled and other fan art is actually based on the one Deem gave me, with a few minor tweaks. I no longer do fan art for the other thread where I have the 'base' assets (reasons), but those characters are mostly 'stock' Daz characters, and had been already shared.

So those 'I have this asset and you don't, neener neener' threads annoy me more than a bit, as we've both noted...

(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

I think that's enough 'extra likes' for now...

Reactions: JJsworld

Monsieur X

Engaged Member
May 26, 2018
I disagree.
"Yeah, I myself hate when people post a good render and dont tell anyone else the ingredients! lol"
Why would they ? They found it by themselves, others can do it too.
"Like, they think are are better than everyone else or something. wankers"
Aren't they better than everyone else if they can do it by themselves ?

Last edited:

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
I disagree.
"Yeah, I myself hate when people post a good render and dont tell anyone else the ingredients! lol"
Why would they ? They found it by themselves, others can do it too.
"Like, they think are are better than everyone else or something. wankers"
Aren't they better than everyone else if they can do it by themselves ?
To be clear, we were referring to Art Assets threads specifically in this context, not Fan Art threads. I'm not calling out the fan art guys in general, I'm calling out the people that post renders in Art Assets threads but don't share the associated details for the characters. Kind of defeats the purpose of an art assets thread.

The point of an art assets thread is to help others find the necessary assets, and in a number of cases suggested additional morphs and such, to help others recreate their favorite characters. There are hundreds of thousands if not millions of 3D assets used collectively in the various games, so I certainly don't expect people to just 'know' where to find a lot of those. Some of us are more familiar with some assets than others, so if we can save other people time by sharing what we know, saving others time in the process, well that's just being nice and some people like to be nice.

A lot of people still end up putting their own 'spin' on characters, such as making Dee look older and such, so it isn't like everyone uses the same verion of Dee even though her assets have been fairly well defined at this point, and even then there are multiple versions based on different interpretations of the morphs needed and such.

There are waaaaay more awesome artists than me, and some of them, like Lexx228, have also contributed useful information to Art Assets threads as well, which is much appreciated. Myself, I often share what I know when asked, pointing people to assets threads, product pages and such, as I like to encourage people in their own art endeavors.

So yeah, Fan Art threads are one thing, but Art Assets specific threads are another thing entirely. Fan art specific theads are simply about sharing fan art, and should be treated as such. Combined threads can blur this distinction, but I'm not referring to those either in most cases, just the Art Assets specific threads in this context.

Last edited:

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Just had a WTF OMG Scary moment.

My Daz Studio My Library folder disappeared! This would mean that all the work I've done in the last few weeks would be gone, as it's been a bit since I last did a full backup. It LOOKS like the My Library folder moved itself somehow, just did a 'file search' for the folder, and I'm copying it from it's new location to a backup drive just in case before I try to move it back to it's 'usual' location, but I'm freaking out at the moment...

I save most of my Daz work into this folder, including my renders, so yeah that would set me back pretty much to square one for a number of things.

WTF how did that just happen?!? Hopefully the files are still intact, the copy function is running, and it's taking at least a half hour to copy what I think is the 'moved' folder over to the backup, and in the meantime I'm afraid to touch anything, or even move for that matter...

Just had to share this moment. Hopefully it's just a 'glitch' and I can get back to work on stuff shortly...

Edit: moving the folder back to where it should be from where it ended up seems to have fixed my issue. On the plus side, I now have a recent backup of my username/Studio folder, which is up to date as of a couple of hours ago. Still trying to get my heart back into my chest...

Last edited:

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Just noticed that CarlosSilva, despite being an F95Zone member for almost 3 years now, is still a newbie... so he doesn't post often, but when he does post, it's usually awesome! Dee on a bicycle... mmmm!

Anyways, we are creeping up on 200 pages, so the fan artist types around here might want to take note of that. In the meantime...

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes