Fan Art Dating My Daughter: Fan Art

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Gotta ask. How'd you get the horizontal line texture on her reflection? Looks unique.
Entirely by accident...

Might have something to do with the mostly very dark HDRI dome from some lighting set that I used in the background, although other lights are in play as well. It does make the render more unique...

Reactions: Falcon6

Big Rooster

Forum Fanatic
Mar 16, 2018
"Steamy Surprise" awaiting for Dee'zGirlz after the workout!
showers surprise_edited.jpg
1st attempt to render on my new (old) pc. I missed Alexis eye color and the artifact in Dee's hair. And I used OhWee's tip on Dee's hair too! TYVM OhWee. The GPU is a GTX1070 but the render relied on the CPU entirely. The question for the tech-savvy crowd is what did I miss in the settings?

Falcon6

Mar 15, 2018
The GPU is a GTX1070 but the render relied on the CPU entirely. The question for the tech-savvy crowd is what did I miss in the settings?
Oh Boy! A chance for me to really contribute an answer here!

I did IT (computer networks) in the AF for 26 years. Build all my own home computers. Currently use a GTX1080 on the computer I render with. It will jump to 100% CPU sometimes on mine to. But here's what I figured out to try to get it back on the GPU when that happens.

DAZ Studio sucks at releasing memory after you "do something" with it. If you spend a lot of time rearranging or adding/removing/changing things while setting up the render, when you go to render it it will bypass your GPU and go to the CPU EVEN IF you haven't reached the memory limit of the GPU yet. What you can TRY is this:

1. Stop the render on the CPU and SAVE the scene you created. Make sure the saved scene ALREADY has your render settings selected for it. And DO NOT have the Aux Viewport set for nVidia Preview. ALWAYS render with the Aux Viewport closed (I select the Scene Pane Tab before rendering). Once you reload the saved scene, the only thing you want to HAVE to do is hit the "Render" button without doing anything else.

2. Close DAZ Studio. BIG NOTE: Make SURE DAZ Studio has completely closed before starting it again. It can take a while for it to fully release ALL the memory it is occupying while shutting down. On my PC, I monitor it using Task Manager, and wait until it shows DAZ Studio has totally closed (it takes 30-ish seconds sometimes). That is the way to ensure it has released all memory it has been using.

3. (Optional, but highly recommended at this step). CLOSE WHATEVER ELSE IS RUNNING (for now) that you don't absolutely need running, like web browsers, other apps, mail programs, whatever. Why? You need to know when you retry the render if anything ELSE may be preventing your use of the GPU from doing the render.

4. Restart DAZ Studio and load the scene you saved. Do nothing else other than starting the render (that is why you saved the scene WITH your render settings ready to go). Making any other changes in Daz Studio might consume more memory (what you are trying to avoid right now).

It won't always work, but most of the time with my GTX1080 the render WILL stay with the GPU then. AND you may be able to start using your web browser, etc, again without your render getting "kicked off" the GPU too!

Hope the above helps you.

Last edited:

Falcon6

Mar 15, 2018
Somehow I don't think Elena would EVER have a surprised look on her face if anyone reached around and grabbed her that way. Horny....Enthralled....Ecstatic....Lustful....Big Grin...."It's About Time!"....whatever. But not surprised. :unsure:

Falcon6

Mar 15, 2018
After several more PM exchanges with OhWee today, I've discovered the following things:

1. Shaders vs Material Textures don't work in DAZ Studio the same way they work in the Flight and Racing Simulators I've been using for 30 years. Now I know how to use shaders in DAZ. Duh!

2. I've never really understood how to do Camera settings with DOF. New thing #2 I learned today. Duh - Duh!!

3. I'm thoroughly embarrassed it took me a year to understand those things. :giggle:

In any case, OhWee (again) taught me what I didn't understand in those areas. But now D is hiding in her room and refusing to talk to me after some of the shaders I tried applying to her tonight. Sad. So, so sad.

DMD - D - FWS- 01.png

(Thanks again to OhWee for broadening my DAZ horizons) (y)

rolmac

May 28, 2017
"Steamy Surprise" awaiting for Dee'zGirlz after the workout!

1st attempt to render on my new (old) pc. I missed Alexis eye color and the artifact in Dee's hair. And I used OhWee's tip on Dee's hair too! TYVM OhWee. The GPU is a GTX1070 but the render relied on the CPU entirely. The question for the tech-savvy crowd is what did I miss in the settings?
in your image you have 5 characters and Daz manages 3 characters well. beyond that Daz begins to have memory problems due to the number of calculations he has to do. The more characters you put in your scene, the more you increase your rendering time and Daz will preferably use the gpu

when I make an image with more than three characters here is my method

1 I make my scene with one or two characters and I do everything, set up and save the scene. with for the example of your image. the three characters of the center because it intertwines

2 I erase the three characters from the center completely of the scene then I add the two characters on the sides and I do another render

3 I assemble the two images in Photoshop

I put below an image that I made with this method

ru de chine 1.jpg

ru de chine 2.jpg

ru de chine 3.jpg

ru de chine 4.jpg

ru de chine 5.jpg

final picture

ru de chine ref.jpg

never render characters without your scene behind. you are going to have a problem of light between your scene and your characters. beyond three Daz character will start rowing

if your 5 characters touch each other, that means you have two things to do with three characters, otherwise you will struggle to assemble your scene

Big Rooster

Forum Fanatic
Mar 16, 2018
in your image you have 5 characters and Daz manages 3 characters well. beyond that Daz begins to have memory problems due to the number of calculations he has to do. The more characters you put in your scene, the more you increase your rendering time and Daz will preferably use the gpu

1 I make my scene with one or two characters and I do everything, set up and save the scene. with for the example of your image. the three characters of the center because it intertwines

2 I erase the three characters from the center completely of the scene then I add the two characters on the sides and I do another render

View attachment 1101834

View attachment 1101836

View attachment 1101847

View attachment 1101854

View attachment 1101860

final picture

View attachment 1101862

never render characters without your scene behind. you are going to have a problem of light between your scene and your characters. beyond three Daz character will start rowing

if your 5 characters touch each other, that means you have two things to do with three characters, otherwise you will struggle to assemble your scene
Great...now I have to learn to use photoshop as well??? :ROFLMAO::rolleyes:

Falcon6

Mar 15, 2018
Great...now I have to learn to use photoshop as well??? :ROFLMAO::rolleyes:
I wouldn't. I refuse to pay a repeating monthly fee to use a product I used to be able to buy with a one-time purchase price. Screw that. But you may still need to learn something that could do most of what PS could do, but it's free. Do a Google search for GIMP.

On the other hand, you do have a GTX1070. It does have 8GB memory, and my GTX1080 isn't all that much more powerful than your 1070. Even so, if I am going to do a render I KNOW will go to my CPU regardless of what I try, I just render it overnight or while I'm taking a long nap. I did this render a while back with 9 models in it all at the same time. It "only" took 6 hours using my CPU rendering it at 4096 x 2531 (for my UHD 65" 4K TV). You probably wouldn't be rendering at that high a resolution to begin with, so that should reduce your rendering time. The only "post processing" I did after it finished was adding the vignette border, which I did with a free program too.

BB Melody DMD - UYN 01 RS.png

But Rolmac is correct. Five models is going to tax the GPU. Depending on the complexity of the rest of the scene, you will probably have to render it using the CPU, or use the process Rolmac suggested. But I wouldn't pay the monthly recurring price Photoshop wants just to do renders here, or even for a Patreon site. I'm not making a living doing renders or selling games. It's a hobby. I wasn't able to go fully retired at 55 by throwing money away. Use an open source freeware program from the Internet. Did I mention GIMP? ;)

And BTW, if you can learn how to use DAZ Studio, you can learn GIMP. DAZ Studio is one of the most convoluted, un-standardized, people-can-create-assets for-it-and-have-them-install-in-places-you-may-never-find-them-again application I have ever used. If I developed a program that confusing for any of the Air Force computer networks I worked on, I would have been Court's Martialed and sent to prison as a convicted felon. :LOL:

Last edited:

Yonamous

Dec 17, 2017

View attachment 1101834

View attachment 1101836

View attachment 1101847

View attachment 1101854

View attachment 1101860

final picture

View attachment 1101862

With images at that distance you could use Scene Optimizer to cut the texture sizes of the characters to 1k from 4k. But other than that, I do pretty much the same thing if I have too many Characters for my scene to render.

RustyV

Conversation Conqueror
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
After several more PM exchanges with OhWee today, I've discovered the following things:

1. Shaders vs Material Textures don't work in DAZ Studio the same way they work in the Flight and Racing Simulators I've been using for 30 years. Now I know how to use shaders in DAZ. Duh!

2. I've never really understood how to do Camera settings with DOF. New thing #2 I learned today. Duh - Duh!!

3. I'm thoroughly embarrassed it took me a year to understand those things. :giggle:

In any case, OhWee (again) taught me what I didn't understand in those areas. But now D is hiding in her room and refusing to talk to me after some of the shaders I tried applying to her tonight. Sad. So, so sad.

View attachment 1101758

(Thanks again to OhWee for broadening my DAZ horizons) (y)
WOW you got her hair perfect!

Reactions: Big Rooster

RustyV

Conversation Conqueror
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
I wouldn't. I refuse to pay a repeating monthly fee to use a product I used to be able to buy with a one-time purchase price. Screw that. But you may still need to learn something that could do most of what PS could do, but it's free. Do a Google search for GIMP.

On the other hand, you do have a GTX1070. It does have 8GB memory, and my GTX1080 isn't all that much more powerful than your 1070. Even so, if I am going to do a render I KNOW will go to my CPU regardless of what I try, I just render it overnight or while I'm taking a long nap. I did this render a while back with 9 models in it all at the same time. It "only" took 6 hours using my CPU rendering it at 4096 x 2531 (for my UHD 65" 4K TV). You probably wouldn't be rendering at that high a resolution to begin with, so that should reduce your rendering time. The only "post processing" I did after it finished was adding the vignette border, which I did with a free program too.

View attachment 1102309

But Rolmac is correct. Five models is going to tax the GPU. Depending on the complexity of the rest of the scene, you will probably have to render it using the CPU, or use the process Rolmac suggested. But I wouldn't pay the monthly recurring price Photoshop wants just to do renders here, or even for a Patreon site. I'm not making a living doing renders or selling games. It's a hobby. I wasn't able to go fully retired at 55 by throwing money away. Use an open source freeware program from the Internet. Did I mention GIMP? ;)

And BTW, if you can learn how to use DAZ Studio, you can learn GIMP. DAZ Studio is one of the most convoluted, un-standardized, people-can-create-assets for-it-and-have-them-install-in-places-you-may-never-find-them-again application I have ever used. If I developed a program that confusing for any of the Air Force computer networks I worked on, I would have been Court's Martialed and sent to prison as a convicted felon. :LOL:
To save some time you can position all of the characters, then "hide" the set. Render the characters with the background as a transparency. Remove the characters. Then render the set without the characters. Finally combine the two in photoshop.

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes