3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

Tranquil Rain

Jul 8, 2018
Learn post-work, or enough post-work to make your own style. At minimum, figure out how to composite a shot and do minor shit like tone & color.

I just don't understand people on the Daz boards who shit on post-work ("That's not REAL Daz skill"), and then they gush over an image that clearly had a shitload of post-work done on it.

Like, my dudes?! You understand the visuals that you are looking at?!!!
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

fenelia

Mar 25, 2020
I have a whole Strip Club set. Takes forever to render out all the details. The dude put mirrors and shit all over the place. Mirrors mean reflectivity, and that adds complexity to the Light simulation that Iray needs to deal with. This is just an example.

Here's something I worked on. Set up a stripper pole, a simple floor, a simple background (all using primitive objects). Quick render. IMO, turned out better and faster than the overnight render using a whole set.
oiseau1.jpg

Mescalino

Aug 20, 2017
Learn post-work, or enough post-work to make your own style. At minimum, figure out how to composite a shot and do minor shit like tone & color.

I just don't understand people on the Daz boards who shit on post-work ("That's not REAL Daz skill"), and then they gush over an image that clearly had a shitload of post-work done on it.

Like, my dudes?! You understand the visuals that you are looking at?!!!
I agree for the most part.
I know my renders sometimes take 10 hours to finish (using a GTX1070) and im sure i can shorten it if i invest more time in optimizing. I render while i sleep so i don't mind that much. But i always do postwork.
Sometimes i just fix some highlighting and contrast and sometimes i go more heavy like here: Linky.

I know there are a few here that have a distinct style. Both in scenes and in postwork.
I dont have a real style in my renders for a number of reasons.
I want to do new stuff, learn new things.
Also post work that works in Scy-Fi scene may not necessarily work in a fantasy setting.
Maybe that is my style :)

Empiric

Throbbing Member
Respected User
Game Developer
Jan 13, 2020
How many iterations do you render mostly in general?
You can't really just go by how many iterations because it differs from image to image heavily. Like you can have a close up on one model and 4000 iterations is more than enough or you can have the model further from camera in same scene and it's gonna need 10000 or more iterations to look as good.

Mescalino

Aug 20, 2017
You can't really just go by how many iterations because it differs from image to image heavily. Like you can have a close up on one model and 4000 iterations is more than enough or you can have the model further from camera in same scene and it's gonna need 10000 or more iterations to look as good.
I personally don't use iterations much.
I mostly set it to 15000.
9 out of 10 it either hits my converged ratio (i set it most of the times to 99%) or it hits my time limit. I usually have this at 36000 or even 72000 seconds (which is 10 or 20 hours) And i press render and go to bed or work. When i wake up i check my render. Sometimes its still running and sometimes its finished. If its running i will check if its good enough to my liking or if it needs longer (Or skip it entirely). I have had renders that where at only 16% after 10 hours of rendering and far to noisy to use a denoiser. While i do use them on occasions I'm not a big fan of them on people but they do have a purpose.

Enyos

Mar 29, 2018
I personally don't use iterations much.
I mostly set it to 15000.
9 out of 10 it either hits my converged ratio (i set it most of the times to 99%) or it hits my time limit. I usually have this at 36000 or even 72000 seconds (which is 10 or 20 hours) And i press render and go to bed or work. When i wake up i check my render. Sometimes its still running and sometimes its finished. If its running i will check if its good enough to my liking or if it needs longer (Or skip it entirely). I have had renders that where at only 16% after 10 hours of rendering and far to noisy to use a denoiser. While i do use them on occasions I'm not a big fan of them on people but they do have a purpose.
No joke. My last one was 1300 iterations in an hour and looked fine, but I had a recent one go the full 15,000 iterations over 14 hours, and i wished i had upped my limit.

Reactions: Mescalino

Enyos

Mar 29, 2018
I understand my friend but I was just trying to analyze his art since he doesn't have GPU and renders on CPU with heavy denoiser and post-work. So I was just wondering how many iterations he does most of the time since his renders are much better than mine. I have GPU but its a waste of resources and electricity to render with high iteration when one can get good results with low iteration and good post-work as he does and not only that, it saves time tremendously.

I wish to be explosive in rendering. I want to render hell lot of scenes in a short amount of time. Past 3 days I rendered 3 images in 4k and it took more than 10 hours each. I live in a country where electricity cuts are very normal and since coronavirus is a big issue and it's going to stay for a long time I am imagining as Government gets economically weaker I might start to see more frequent electricity cuts which will slow me down even more. Hell, I am staying awake at night time from the past 2 weeks and working at day times since they don't cut electricity at night times. Its just all speculation from me and who knows things might get better.
if you're looking to do big scene renders in a shorter time, then i'd highly suggest using an optimizer. It was the only way i could do a bigger render before i got my gpu a couple weeks ago. Lighting is also a huge drain on resources. Limiting the amount of lights in a scene/hdri (and making them brighter) will lower the time taken to get good results.

For reference, even with a decent gpu (2070 Super), there's too many lights with too many dark spots to get decent results from this scene without an excessive amount of rendering time. AltheaFire2070.jpg

Last edited:

Empiric

Throbbing Member
Respected User
Game Developer
Jan 13, 2020
I understand my friend but I was just trying to analyze his art since he doesn't have GPU and renders on CPU with heavy denoiser and post-work. So I was just wondering how many iterations he does most of the time since his renders are much better than mine. I have GPU but its a waste of resources and electricity to render with high iteration when one can get good results with low iteration and good post-work as he does and not only that, it saves time tremendously.

I wish to be explosive in rendering. I want to render hell lot of scenes in a short amount of time. Past 3 days I rendered 3 images in 4k and it took more than 10 hours each. I live in a country where electricity cuts are very normal and since coronavirus is a big issue and it's going to stay for a long time I am imagining as Government gets economically weaker I might start to see more frequent electricity cuts which will slow me down even more. Hell, I am staying awake at night time from the past 2 weeks and sleeping at day times since they don't cut electricity at night times. Its just all speculation from me and who knows things might get better.
Ye didn't understand the context..
Electricity cuts must be a pain in the ass. I remember windows rebooting after an update in middle of the night while I was asleep when my render finished and I almost lost my shit wondering if I should switch to linux. :D

Mescalino

Aug 20, 2017
if you're looking to do big scene renders in a shorter time, then i'd highly suggest using an optimizer. It was the only way i could do a bigger render before i got my gpu a couple weeks ago. Lighting is also a huge drain on resources. Limiting the amount of lights in a scene/hdri (and making them brighter) will lower the time taken to get good results.

For reference, even with a decent gpu (2070 Super), there's too many lights with too many dark spots to get decent results from this scene without an excessive amount of rendering time. View attachment 676826
And that is my biggest beef with Iray (or most render engines). I love these atmospheric settings but sometimes it feels like its only achievable (in a decent amount of time) using postwork magic. I think on my machine this would need 3 days of rendering and a denoiser and some photoshop magic to top it off.

Empiric

Throbbing Member
Respected User
Game Developer
Jan 13, 2020
4 days ago I let my pc render at daytime. I was sleeping when a couple of hours later I heard some beeping noises in my room. After a while, I realize it's my Ups cause there was a power cut. I jumped hell out of bed to save the scene cause if Ups ran out then I will have to render it again. Who knows how long electricity was out. Sleeping at day also kind of skips the no electricity period. Anyway, that scenario repeated the next day too.

Another reason is the coronavirus. I have much low contact with outside people. My family and the surrounding people are very lax about masks and social distance. I will not take a risk.

All in all, knowing how to render with 100 iterations and getting good results is a nice skill to have.
Well for me coronavirus changed nothing as I have no family and no friends so I'm still just chasing my dream to work from home and not have to deal with my social anxiety. :cautious:

If I couldn't render during day I'd proly just prepare all the characters for bigger project and scenes like people's rooms and such.. take a lot of time to tweak them.
My renders go from 20 minutes to 10 hours too but I just make use of the time rendering longer ones to do post-work on the ones I already have and to write code and learn stuff so I don't mind that much.

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes