3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

KlodowWW

Mar 18, 2019
I really like a lot of the renders and artwork posted here, but there's one thing that mildly infuriates me: when I was a boy and my father taught me some basic rules of photography and "composition" (back then there was nothing like DAZ available, because personal computers didn't even exist!), there was a very simple rule that said "don't cut off limbs".

Scrolling back just a few pages of this thread I can easily see a dozen or more pictures which would have been so much better if limbs (especially feet!) hadn't been cut off. I'm not a "foot" lover in particular, but there are so many cut-off feet that it really grinds my nerves.

There was a lot of discussion about lightning lately, and most of you managed to get great lightning in their pictures, now I would really love to see some improvements on some of your picture compositions!

And please don't get me wrong: I'm just a lurker who hasn't posted any renders here at all, I absolutely love what you're doing and posting, and I'm in no position to "request" anything from you, I just think some of your pictures could improve a lot if you'd follow some picture composition basics (don't cut off limbs, rule of odds, rule of thirds, leading lines etc.).

Thanks for listening/reading, and keep on creating and posting your work!
Thank you for your advice,

I never heard of the rule of odd, leading line or the don't cut limb one, I'm gonna give them a try for my next render !

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
3/4 body shots are more ideal.
I didn't mean every shot must be a "full body" composition, a 3/4 shot is fine, I agree. But there're many pictures which seem to show the full body (sometimes you can see the ankles or a part of the foot) but then it cuts off the rest of the foot.

Techn0magier

Jul 2, 2017
I really like a lot of the renders and artwork posted here, but there's one thing that mildly infuriates me: when I was a boy and my father taught me some basic rules of photography and "composition" (back then there was nothing like DAZ available, because personal computers didn't even exist!), there was a very simple rule that said "don't cut off limbs".

Scrolling back just a few pages of this thread I can easily see a dozen or more pictures which would have been so much better if limbs (especially feet!) hadn't been cut off. I'm not a "foot" lover in particular, but there are so many cut-off feet that it really grinds my nerves.

[...]

The rule of "don't cut off limbs" is no longer part in recent photographs. It is more transformed to, "Don't cut through joints"~ish. This baffled me too. I started with some borrowed guides from the local library when I was a kid. And read some newer guides since then, stuff like "always use a low ISO" also vanished, thanks to modern technology. And right now a lot of guides and schools take mobile phones into consideration as well. This craft will always be changing, which I consider a good thing.

But the most important rule will always be unchanged. "If you understand the meaning behind a rule, break it to improve your art."

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
The rule of "don't cut off limbs" is no longer part in recent photographs.
Thanks for the update. I know that some rules from about 30+ years ago may be obsolete today, but I still think, if your picture is showing "some" part of the limb, better not cut if off.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
Hey KlodowWW,

screen233.png

why the sad face? Did I pick one of your images? If I picked one of your images as a "bad" example, I didn't mean to offend! I hope you take my little rant about missing limbs just how I meant it, as an advice to make your future work even more beautiful! :)

Keep doing what you love to do, and please keep posting your images!

Techn0magier

Jul 2, 2017
Thanks for the update. I know that some rules from about 30+ years ago may be obsolete today, but I still think, if your picture is showing "some" part of the limb, better not cut if off.

I guess we never grew out of stuff we are used to. xD
The first three examples are also culprits of the "Don't cut through joints" rule. (knuckles, big toe, ankles)
I think we can both agree, that the latter two are showing how it should be done.
Hands and feet, in particular, are things, like the face, that shows us, as humans, expressions and feelings. So I think we can agree, that those two are important and shouldn't be the bodyparts that are cut off when everything else, attached to it, is shown.
As an example, when I shoot a close-up portrait, I hesitate to cut anywhere else than right beneath the armpits but above the breast. (I like a nice neck and shoulder line) Maybe I cut through the forehead but that depends on the model, haircut/-style, purpose of the image etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: theMickey_

DoctorPervic

Game Developer
Aug 13, 2019
In my experience. When making a setting I decide on what body part I am focusing on, then I try to pose the camera that gives focus on that body part, and if any other parts are cut off they should be cut in a way that helps the image in a hole. For example. if I am focusing on the waist area and the knees are going to be cut off, I try to position the camera so that it makes the cut off legs look like she is standing really close to the camera.

Bad pose because the breasts and Knees are cut off

Bad.jpg

Good Pose because the breasts and knees are not being cut off

Good.jpg

Thats only how I do things. :)

koleoptero

Mar 3, 2020

Your feedback is very appreciated but I am not going to try working on it because I believe if I try working on it with my meager skills as of now then that would be consider brute-forcing because that render comes under Digital artwork/Matte painting. I think it will be nicer if I first keep on making random renders and learn post-work bit by bit and acquire some actual skills. Once I am feeling good about my skills. I will recreate that render and try matte painting over it but for now, I am very content with Adobe lightroom's post-processing and don't want to delve too deep into Sketchbook and Gimp(I did try all 3 of them for a while).

I recently re-created a six-month-old render because I was feeling I could do it better now and I am sure I will feel the same in the distant future. Another reason is that I do not wish to try doing too many things at once.

I am making 4k pinup renders from 4-5 days now. I need to rethink the story and also need to update the intro scene I created in the upcoming day. After that, I will try creating the menu in Renpy. Then I will start learning how to create a navigation system and I am sure I will be a lot busier with Renpy the more I delve into it. Save file compatibility, Choices system, Combat, and IDK what next for now.

anyway, Thanks for all the feedback though, and sorry if my reply is bit too long! Damn, I write a lot.
I only posted about this pic because i saw you doing a lot of things over the weeks before. So i thought you were interested in trying to make it better. I think sometimes it is good to go back to old renders/pics someone did because they can improve it so much more!

Hope you get it some day tho :D No problem with big answers. I do it all the time I think :)

Unexpected Error

☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠
Donor
Oct 17, 2018

There was a lot of discussion about lightning lately, and most of you managed to get great lightning in their pictures, now I would really love to see some improvements on some of your picture compositions!

And please don't get me wrong: I'm just a lurker who hasn't posted any renders here at all, I absolutely love what you're doing and posting, and I'm in no position to "request" anything from you, I just think some of your pictures could improve a lot if you'd follow some picture composition basics (don't cut off limbs, rule of odds, rule of thirds, leading lines etc.).

Yeah, I can feel you.^^ My last post has cut of feet too (and that is a realy bad cut in that picture). Funfact, I didn´t realise my renderframe was to small, I was way to tired, and after 1 hour rendering, I didn´t want to do it again, so I left it as it was. It was just a test and not important. that won´t happen again (at least If I don´t sleep again while doing renders xD)

Edit: Funfact 2 I checked my render (the one I didn´t denoise and edit) and there are no cut of feet, that means I fucked something up while editing what wasnt my intend. guess I should sleep more before doing work. meh.^^

Last edited:
Reactions: Reifon

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
What about these?
This is just my personal opinion: in the first picture I'd have cut the picture either at about half her thighs or below her knees, not just above her knees. But keep the guy's hand/fingers in mind -- I think you need to position your camera a little bit down and pointing more upwards. In the second picture the setting of the girl in the front is perfect IMO, but because you can see her mirror image and the feet are missing, I would adjust the camera angle, too (to not cut off her feet). The third picture is perfect.

But: if these are going to be images for a game, and you have i.e. some dialogue boxes at the bottom part of the picture, always check if you're satisfied with what you can see "behind" the text boxes (I know you can hide most textboxes, but I as a player still want to see a nice image even with the corresponding text).

Thats only how I do things.
And that's perfect! If I had to choose between your two pictures, I'd go 100% for the second one! You're focusing on the waist/belly, but nothing seems to be off. The first picture has too much legs/knees and some cut off breast as you already mentioned.

fenelia

Mar 25, 2020
So, finally started up the Ren'py (again) after a long time. I should really install the latest. I tried Tyranobuilder (because I don't need complicated shit), but I'm already used to the way Ren'py works from the limited experiments I've done with it in the past.

I liked Dating My Daughter, Parental Love... those are kind of the inspiration here. Except I gotta pare it all back to keep it as a simple project to get me working in the system.

Two main characters here. This test image is synthetic, again. Background is from a photograph, manipulated multiple ways. I do this to test the skin tone compatibility between my main characters.

Do they look like they exist in the same universe? Sometimes they just don't match up when you're working with materials from different artists. I think I've got the skins working together now. (There were experiments before this image.)

off script test.jpg

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes