3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

Empiric

Throbbing Member
Respected User
Game Developer
Jan 13, 2020
Working on a character right now, just not sure if I'm getting a face of a black woman right.. the shape, not the color.
Since, you know, living in a village in a middle of Europe, they are like fairies to me, which I've only seen in pictures.
hunB.png

Lightaces

Aug 3, 2018
Working on a character right now, just not sure if I'm getting a face of a black woman right.. the shape, not the color.
Since, you know, living in a village in a middle of Europe, they are like fairies to me, which I've only seen in pictures.
View attachment 779559
You're not wrong to be worried about it, but it really isn't as simple as "make her nose a bit wider," (don't be ridiculous! But it is a common facial feature of, for instance, African Americans and west African genetic groups). The thing you have to remember is that there isn't one "African" morphology - it is the second largest continent in the world, and has more genetic diversity than the rest of the world combined (seriously, look up the research on African mitochondrial DNA - there are dozens if not hundreds of variants in Africa, and the rest of the world has one type). There are African tribes whose morphology looks closer to a stereotypical Asian, others who resemble dark skinned Scandinavians, and still others who have very little similarity to any other ethnic group. Get yourself to Google, and research African ethnic morphology, if you want to do it well.

The stereotypical African-American morphology comes largely from the west African coast, where the slave ports were located, so if you are trying to create an African-American, that's were you should focus your research. But don't forget there is also a strong European genetic component, because slave owners tended to be men, and tended to have no particular qualms about using their slaves bodies however they wanted. An African-American that light skinned will have some European genetics in their back ground (not always the product of rape, but far too often), and that will effect their body shape and features.

And then there is the political component of skin tone in the African-American culture (I don't know enough about African cultures to speak to this there, but I suspect it is similar anywhere there was colonization, so anywhere but Ethiopia). I'm not going to risk getting this post erased (hell, I probably am at risk already, even though I'm just answering your question), but for a long time being light skinned MATTERED. A lot. And while that has improved a bit, it still does. I'd advise doing quite a bit of research on this stuff if you wanted to do anything commercial involving the subject. It can be a very tense subject, when Europeans use black bodies, even in art. Know what you are playing with, I guess is what I'm saying.

• Angry
Reactions: ArturiousDesign

Lightaces

Aug 3, 2018
View attachment 779559
The main thing I'm seeing there is, if she is meant to be African-American, that hair is a wig. Which is fine - lots of women wear wigs, but African-American hair tends to be a lot more wiry, and very curly. Watch Chris Rock's documentary on African-American hair culture. It's fascinating. One takeaway - African-Americans make up 14% of our population, and spend 80% of the money on hair care. It's a Big Deal. And wigs are part of that, but again, know what you are suggesting by having her wear a wig.

Last edited:

Empiric

Throbbing Member
Respected User
Game Developer
Jan 13, 2020
The main thing I'm seeing there is, if she is meant to be African-American, that hair is a wig. Which is fine - lots of women wear wigs, but African-American hair tends to be a lot more wiry, and very curly. Watch Chris Rock's documentary on African-American hair culture. It's fascinating.
Hair is there just so she's not bald, I was going for something like this with the face:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Not completely, just the general shape of the face, as she would the fit the character well.

Reactions: ArturiousDesign

Lightaces

Aug 3, 2018
Hair is there just so she's not bald, I was going for something like this with the face:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Not completely, just the general shape of the face, as she would the fit the character well.
Not bad. But do fix the hair. You won't believe how much it can matter.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
What is the best "meadow" for a short-trimmed dense garden lawn? Or do you know a good scene,
landscape with a beautiful, well-tended lawn
I tried various things but the best for me was using [ ].
Basically it (can, because it does more) instance and randomize a prop on a given surface with various options.
I take a bit of time to get it right and get good result tho.

Was my 1st time trying (iirc I converted an old 3DL grass prop to Iray) :

zzzzz.png

Reactions: Satyrsfaction

faecrykt

Jan 13, 2017
Returning to Daz3d after a very long hiatus.

I lost all my old assets to a PC crash, for the 3rd time, and thus lost heart. But this long period of inactivity has made me realise that there is solace and therapy in creation.

However, what I submit here and in the following post are not original creations, but my renditions of ready-to-render scenes (from Spectrum Studio). I have just changed the characters, some aspects of the environment and the juxtaposition of some of the elements in the renders. So, these are not original creations. Yet, the joy of creating is proving therapeutic for me.

I hope that I manage to re-acquire the lost assets (several being Gen1-3) on which almost all my earlier renders were based, and on which I was hoping to build a game. If not, well, I will have to re-populate my Daz with Gen8 and restart the process all over again.

Here's the first scene I offer. If someone objects to the re-utilisation of pre-rendered assets, kindly forgive me as I am doing it for curative purposes more than anything else. Any critique is welcome, but all praise is due to the original creators at Spectrum Studio.

Regards. FINAL-ayako @floor lights-warm, 50%.png

Last edited:

xer.0

Feb 7, 2018
0820 Beach 01 test 1280.jpg

First time rendering in an environment. 25 mins CPU only got 14% done. Might let it run overnight to see the difference.

Is it just me or does the scale look off?

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes