3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

atheran

Feb 3, 2020
You might also want to look into denoisers ,they are really helpful for dark scenes
Denoisers don't work for the look I'm going for sadly. I've tried them before. In my case, the best I can do is render at 4k and downsample. Some grain is welcomed in the render, but the washed out look of the denoisers (both intel and nvidia, and don't get me started on Daz's own implementation) while it looks amazing for a specific style of render (one only has to look at breivik's amazing renders) it's the complete opposite effect of what I'm going for myself.

On my next post (when the render is finished in half a dozen hours) I'll post both the 4k and the downsampled result for comparison. I think the plasticy look of the face is because the LIE's I use for freckles, doesn't come with roughness maps so the change in tone is visible, but there's no correct scattering. I suppose I'll have to make some extra LIEs to accompany those I have, but that will take time.

EDIT: I'm kind of sad Techn0magier didn't rip me a new one. Ruthless, but best kind of criticism I've read in these forums. :)
Also..30 iterations in 14 minutes. If I left it for the full 2500 iteration I put as maximum, it'd take about 17h to render it. Oof. Thankfully I limited it to 3h or so. Not thankfully, 3h will pass, it will end and I'll be disappointed by the progress and have to redo it with 5-6h as maximum allowed time.

Last edited:

Burgerkinginurface

Jun 8, 2020
Later in the evening at the Johnson resident...

Dillon (a Senior at Private Parkway Hillcrest High School).

Mom: Dillon Dinners ready, tell your father too!

Meanwhile at the dinner table...

Bob (father): Son, how was school today?

Dillon: It was beautiful

Bob: Beautiful? Son, your mother and I are not paying $25,000.00 a year just so your education can be beautiful.

Mom: Dillon, please be candid with your father he works very hard to provide and give you an education no ordinary John Doe can give their kids.

Dillon: (smirks)....

Bob: Your College ACTs are just around the corner you better study hard.

Dillon: Father, your absolutely right I'll prepare like never before and give it ever fiber of my body.

Mom: Sweetie, see that's the right attitude of a Johnson.

Bob: You know you better do well or else I'm gonna have to pay your teacher a visit.

Dillon: NO! Father! I'm mean I'ma...I apologized for my out burst I promise to do even better.

Bob: Good son that's good

Mom: (smiles in relief of confidence) Come! Let's Eat! Dillon sweetie here, you can have the first set Lemon Chicken Breast.

The Johnson enjoys their evening dinner like any ordinary American Family.

Techn0magier

Jul 2, 2017
Denoisers don't work for the look I'm going for sadly. I've tried them before. In my case, the best I can do is render at 4k and downsample. Some grain is welcomed in the render, but the washed out look of the denoisers (both intel and nvidia, and don't get me started on Daz's own implementation) while it looks amazing for a specific style of render (one only has to look at breivik's amazing renders) it's the complete opposite effect of what I'm going for myself.

On my next post (when the render is finished in half a dozen hours) I'll post both the 4k and the downsampled result for comparison. I think the plasticy look of the face is because the LIE's I use for freckles, doesn't come with roughness maps so the change in tone is visible, but there's no correct scattering. I suppose I'll have to make some extra LIEs to accompany those I have, but that will take time.

EDIT: I'm kind of sad Techn0magier didn't rip me a new one. Ruthless, but best kind of criticism I've read in these forums. :)
Right now, my head feels like I had the drink from "Hitchikers Guide to Galaxy". Sometimes I hate summer. I will look at it, that is for sure. But right now I would have a hard time not just yatta pure nonsensical garbage. xD

atheran

Feb 3, 2020
Right now, my head feels like I had the drink from "Hitchikers Guide to Galaxy". Sometimes I hate summer. I will look at it, that is for sure. But right now I would have a hard time not just yatta pure nonsensical garbage. xD
Don't worry about it. I completely understand about the heat. Also constructive criticism cannot be ordered. You have to be in the mood. Also..I'd like such a drink. Long as it didn't come with Marvin's company.

• Haha
Reactions: Techn0magier

OutOfAshes

Engaged Member
Apr 14, 2019
Lighting bros, what are your suggestions/ critiques for a render like this?

I struggle with lighting, so I do some dumb shit quite often

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
well i would say try other color temps for the Light that can really make a big difference in some renders in my opinion

but i struggle too sometimes it is really hard to get the light like you want it

_13_

Game Developer
Oct 8, 2020

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I don't see anything obviously wrong with it. That only leaves your personal taste. If it looks the way you want it to, it doesn't matter what others think.

atheran

Feb 3, 2020

Well, that depends on what you're after. It's a good enough render for most VNs that circulate around.

That said, I'll be nitpicky since you asked for it. First of all, from what we see from the composition, the lighting seems off (probably looks so to you as well to ask for it.) Main reason is the directionality. In the composition, the light source is clearly behind her (the window), yet we see her front almost perfectly illuminated and shadows dropping on her hip from her arm with no obvious source of lighting and the lighting on the background is too flat to betray other lights in the scene.

That's not to say that you CAN'T have other light sources, just that me as a viewer am not aware of them. And I could imagine other sources potentially, but it seems that the light comes from everywhere. Left rim light, right rim light, background light and some fill light in the front. Which brings me to my next point.

Personally I think it's easier on the viewer (quite possibly there's a rule for that in some book somewhere) to have the light sources come from one angle, maybe two, not everywhere. In the case of that specific render, I would probably turn her around (or rotate the hdri if it's not a modeled interior) so the window is on her top left. Add some nice rim lighting on her left side, possible a bit forward to get some interesting shadows on her abs, pubic hair, thighs etc. Add a key light at the window to make sense and a very soft low intensity fill (or let the hdri play the role if it's an hdri.)

Why her left side? Well, the hair drop to the right of her face and that would drop her face in darkness. From her left you'll get nice shadows showcasing the form of the face, from the right you lose that detail. Finally I'd play with aperture/f-stop to darken the scene slightly because the background is blown out (especially at the window).

Now if you WANT that blown out aspect (say, middle of the day, bright sun etc) you'd need to turn the lights WAY up to make sense. As it is now, the background looks like middle of a summer day and the subject (the girl) looks like she's posing right after waking up in an early morning. Which only adds to the confusion of the light directionality.

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes