3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

Techn0magier

Jul 2, 2017
So... Aetheran & Techn0magier is there any improvement? (or the more likely outcome: what have I done wrong now?:ROFLMAO:)

View attachment 1339196
What have you done wrong? Nothing. (I don't know what you were aiming for.;) )
What could be improved? Well, that depends.

First things first. Where did the black cloth in the background end and where did her clothing start? The same goes for her hand and the hair? That is where fill lights and rim lights came in. They help to give you details on the main subject and separate between subject and environment.
A good idea for beginners is to study 1 point lighting setups and maybe 3 point lighting setups. They are considered the fundamentals of lighting for a reason. And remember the egg, I do this exercise myself still, just to keep the impressions fresh.

Second thing. I don't like key lights that aren't above the subject. There are exceptions to this but in general, it doesn't look natural. It gives living things always a ghoulish feel in my opinion. Also, I would like to discourage you from using 6500 K as colour temperature. Artificial light sources are either cooler or warmer than that. Even daylight lamps are more around 5500 K.

The third thing is the exposure of your render. It is too dark. In photography, we would say it is a little bit underexposed. Lucky you that is the easiest thing to fix later in post. But you should always aim for good exposure in the tone mapping settings. A good exposure could also help you to preserve more details in dark and bright areas. Sadly a white or black pixel in the base render is always dead. This means it has no details and lost details can not be regained later in post.
new exposure.png
Once I kicked up the postwork process I decided to sacrifice even more details and give the image a little bit of colour correction to deal with the ghoul vibe.
postwork.png
But I would have prefered a different key light position instead. I always aim for the rule:
Details > Colours

And as always this is just, what I would do. And I have a very specific preference that aims at the photo genres Glamour, Fashion and Boudoir. And sometimes I go for a mixture with Erotica. Those genres have very specific rules, and when you try to go also for photorealism there are even more rules that apply.

Oct 17, 2020
I don't know what you were aiming for.;)
Well neither do I, so that makes two of us :ROFLMAO:

In seriousness - this is some great advice, much appreciated!

I don't like key lights that aren't above the subject. There are exceptions to this but in general, it doesn't look natural. It gives living things always a ghoulish feel in my opinion
Oof, this explains a lot of the 'miniature' or diorama-looking renders I often end up with:cry:

"Sadly a white or black pixel in the base render is always dead."

Oof x2, but that's a phrase I won't forget soon, I just know it's gonna pop up into my head before I mess with the tone mapping settings

I still have a long-ass way to go, but this a major help, thank you mate

Reactions: Techn0magier

atheran

Feb 3, 2020
kazuma_the_guy

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Here I will disagree with Techno in a couple of things. First off, I don't mind the keylight coming from the bottom. Sure, it's unusual and sure it gives a weird tone, but quite often I find it pivotal to get the right feeling for the scene. I don't think it's ghoulish, but certainly adds an air of mystery especially when it drops the eyes (that usually are the focus point) in shadow. Give her a bitchy expression and the keylight from the bottom would be perfect to add an air of 'I'm better than you and you know it.'

What I do however dislike and find redundant more often than not is keylight and rimlight coming from the same side. Especially in this image, the rim light would do wonders on the girl's left side to seperate her from the background as Techno said. As for what he mentioned about exercises, take a look at my renders. Most of them use one to two lights. I do it on purpose for both style but also as a means to force myself to learn good lighting. I'm not saying you should do something similar to mine by any means, but if you spend an hour or so playing with the rim light direction and maybe a soft, flat fill light on her front you'd more than likely figure out that it would work a lot better on her left. Give more information to the viewer. Then do the same with your fill light.

It's a much better lit render than your last one in my opinion but here's a list of a few things I think would help with a short suggestion.

1) Rim light to her left. Better seperation from the background.
2) Key light above her, unless you have a good reason of dropping her eyes in shadow. Think mystery as a good reason.
3) The chair is distracting, similarly I think the cloth on the floor would look better if it was longer, but that's a nitpick.
4) Avoid rimlight and keylight from the same side, unless you REALLY want to emphasize the curve on her waist, even then I'd drop the keylight for a soft fill to make more contrast and attract the viewer's eyes.
5) Play with different light directions to see what feels better before you commit. I spent 3h on my last render and that was one rim light total for the scene.
6) Think of the light source in the scene and google it's temperature. Sodium, Incandecent, Fluorescent, Halogen, Halide, LED etc, all have different color temperatures and it actually does add to the realism quite more than you can imagine.
7) I'd say something or other about exposure too, but I would appear a hypocrite if you go through my renders. Mine's a conscious choice but still..Nothing that would help you. Take Techno's advice on it.

Nitpicking over, I love the model, the render is a lot better than the last one and..I could learn from you as far as expressions go. That smile and look, is beautiful.

EDIT: Because I forgot to quote you.
PS. I just had some beers, so apologies if it came out too rough or anything. I loved the image, I'm not trying to make it look bad.

EDIT2: Actually take what I said as a general advice if you want. But going through the image again, I think that a properly positioned keylight on her bottom left would look better, while keeping the rimlight as it is. It would offer seperation and also remove the shadows from her eyes. The rimlight on her right is better to showcase that curve on her waist, I think. But you should think of a way to seperate the hand from the hair as well, maybe a faint hair light? A keylight from the bottom wouldn't do it with the hand and on the top right it would again have her eyes in shadow.

Last edited:

Agent HK47

Mar 3, 2018
Twins_Gym_01.png
Twins from my WIP hobby game. They might look alike on the surface, but their personalities are very different.

Twins_Gym_03.png
Sexy, sneaky and adventurous. This one is the loudmouth of the pair, but that could be due to the fact that her sister is mute, due to an incident a few years prior. If you don't like her sister's appearance, better keep that to yourself or this one just might cut off a very important part of you.

Twins_Gym_02.png
Scarred, both physically and mentally, but still a gentle and caring soul. Don't like it when people stare at her for too long though, so soak it in while you can. No idea what she is so ashamed about, cause I think she look cute as hell with these scars.

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes